Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Realistic Role-Playing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bookwyrm Posted - 16 Jun 2003 : 02:59:15
Many times on many posts, we have been talking about how things really are (or, often, were). We've had lore on where certain weapons came from, the chemical makeup of metals, and discussions on history. These sorts of things always help when writing a story, and what is role-playing but a story, except one that grows more organically?

So, I'm starting this topic for all those who want to share knowledge about aspects of realism. These can include definitions of words, the look of certain plants, where to find things, what the origins of certain items were.

Please note that this is only for real items of interest. This isn't Realmslore. However, it is being put here for use with Realmslore, or anything else for that matter. The object is to bring our stories and campaigns to greater life than ever before by sharing the trivia we know. Anything that could be of use is welcome, and there is no need for it to be on-topic. Simply blurt out what ever interesting bit of trivia you know that we might not. Some of us will know it, probably -- but odds are that at least one person won't, and that person might be looking for just that sort of thing.

A lot of big names on these forums will be adding things. I have a very unorganized pile of such trivia; people such a Artalis, Sage, and Mournblade have much to add as well. But just because you only have one point to add, don't be shy. Or if you have a question, just ask. We're all here to help as best we can.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 16 Mar 2011 : 02:41:13
I much prefer the witch trial style presented by Monty Python.
Markustay Posted - 16 Mar 2011 : 02:12:57
There was another great one I heard about.

You stake a person to the ground over a badger hole, and then use the second hole (supposedly there are always two) to smoke it out. The critter goes nuts and 'digs' its way through the person.

And my all-time favorite - stake someone to the ground in the path of (or near) a swarm of army ants. If you really want to speed things up, cover them in something sweet, like honey.

Then again, just staking someone to the ground anywhere is fun... deserts... sewers... anywhere.

And yeah, the Inquisition 'witch hunters' were the worst of the worst - they particularly enjoyed grabbing all the little girls in a village, dragging them into a barn, and torturing them for hours until they confessed (although they normally started by cutting out the tongue, so there'd be no chance a quick confession would spoil their fun).

Oh, and if the men got 'excited' by their activities, that was just proof they had real witches (because a good, god-fearing man would NEVER become aroused by that if it wasn't 'dark magic'). Naturally, they always got turned-on, so I suppose they had a 100% success rate... funny how many normal-seeming villages were filled with witches.
Andrekan Posted - 15 Mar 2011 : 20:06:07
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I suppose that gang green and burnt hombre must be two of your favourite colours, Andrekan.

Yes and I like using Boiling linseed oil with them when painting gatehouses.
Markustay Posted - 15 Mar 2011 : 19:24:54
Interesting that this came back-around.

Especially the plague discussion - I want to use a variation on that theme for my own setting: I am thinking about tying it to either vampirism or lycanthropy (but I wouldn't use either of those real-world terms).

Maybe both, but I am not sure how yet... I don't want to use Underworld's 'take' (although I loved those movies, their core-concept was a bit too modern for my tastes). I do love the term 'Lycans' (wonder if I can use that without getting in trouble).

I may make it so that the thanocrosis (place-holder name for my own vampirism) might inhibits the lycan transformation, thus making the infected folk beholden to the vampire-lords. Still toying with this one.

Strangely, my Vampirism IS a disease, and an artificially created one at that (but with a fantasy spin). The Lycanthropy is derived from Elvish blood (my elves all have alternate forms).

Anyhow, that's how I prefer my fantasy. I do not like the today's idea of 'High fantasy', even though its precisely those types of stories that got me into the genre. Now I prefer a grittier feel to my worlds... I suppose the genre itself has matured (although that is a bit disingenuous - there have always been 'gritty fantasy', but it usually took the form of Pulp).

I like the 'points of light' concept introduced in 4e (an old idea with a fancy new name, really), and that has become my focus - to create a dark, forbidding world with pockets of civilization and huge stretches of untamed wilderness filled with peril in-between.

I don't want pretty vampires, sagely dragons, and goodly dark elves - I want my monsters to BE MONSTERS!!!

Its pretty sad that D&D (and fantasy in-general) has reduced adventuring to 'having fun'. REAL Medieval Europe was filled with adventure... but it was never fun. It was a matter of survival. That's the spirit I would like to capture in my games.

Remember when Orcs were scary?
chamber101 Posted - 15 Mar 2011 : 18:56:44
Just adding to the gore factor so you can have realistic entrails when disembowling a victim (or vividly decribing the quartering part of a grruesome execution) though I am sure Andrekan already knows this!
The small intestine in an adult human measures on average 6 meters (about 19 feet). It can measure around 50% longer at autopsy because of loss of smooth muscle tone after death.
(hail the great sage Weekee Peedaya)
Ayrik Posted - 15 Mar 2011 : 06:30:15
I suppose that gang green and burnt hombre must be two of your favourite colours, Andrekan.
Andrekan Posted - 15 Mar 2011 : 06:23:19
I've often used a lot of gore in our games when combat came around. In films and tv we are often fluffed against seeing or thinking about such horrors that are encountered in a battle. Floors become slick with blood. Hot spray issues from your foe. The numbing fever in a fresh wound. It also might take along time for something to die which most good players use a coup de grace. However when a fellow Player is lying on the field of battle with negative Hit Points writhing in the agony of death someone may fight their way over to lend healing or help stabilize their friend.

The Zulu had a spear with a large spear tip so they could thrust it into an enemies gut and twist it to disembowel their enemies.

Impaling was a horrible practice used to serve as a warning to invaders.

A decapitated head could be hung at a city gate. The decomposition time of these things can be surprisingly long. At least with animal hides and skulls.

There were the numerous cruel Inquisition Techniques and Tools.(I may or may not get back to post these)

I also remember hearing about people being skinned alive, rolled in salt and released as punishment for their crime. Don't remember the source.

The Mongols cut the eyes out of everyone in a town except one person who only had one eye. Then they lined them up with the one eyed person at the front of the line nailing the hand of each person to the persons should in front of them. The Mongols then directed the first person to travel to the next city and instruct them to tell the city we are coming. Psychological Warfare is very useful for Zhents during the days of open conquest or by the Tuigan during the invasion from the east stopped by glorious Alliance of Cormyr, Zhent orcs, Dwarves, Sembians, and Dalefolk.

Mid-evil battles were bloody and when striking or being struck by a NPC the player gets a sense of being in that bloody cruel element. I think being chewed up by a troll, dragon, or otyugh would be pretty bad also.

Gore is a useful element in proper gaming situations.

The Nail was a useful tool when capturing heavy plated knights. It didn't cost as much or require as much work to get and with a hammer; placement to a knights skull with the nail. If the ransom wasn't received they would render the knight useless or dead...This was along the time of the development of the long bow.

Most of these are right off the top of my head. The gamer also enjoy great detail about smells and temperature to set the mood.

Well that is enough gore for now.
Portella Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 00:26:42
Awesome stuff.
chamber101 Posted - 13 Mar 2011 : 23:40:14
I love finding old scrolls such as this that are a trove of useable colour.
My offerings:
It has been mentioned in an earlier post about spiral staircases in towers. They generally were constructed in a clockwise (from bottom to top) fashion so an invading force had to fight left handed whilst the higher defenders could fight right handed.
Also, on most staircases, every fifth or sixth or so step was deliberately an inch or so higher than the previous steps so as to make a charging intruder more likely to trip (it was actually called The Tripstep!) balance checks in full plate anyone?
Thirdly, many of the main doorways were constructed shorter so that you had to dip your head as you walked through them. Usually there would be a small alcove to the right of the doorway with a guard in it who could then smash the intruder over the back of the head as he stooped to walk through the doorway!
Markustay Posted - 16 Dec 2010 : 20:45:25
quote:

Actors used to be viewed as the scum of society, yet today they're treated like the aristocracy of great houses?
I must be truly ancient.

I still look down upon actors and entertainers.
Laerrigan Posted - 16 Dec 2010 : 05:58:07
quote:

Nien, du hast, du hast mitsch.

Erskine---thanks! I wanted to get conjugation in there, but I have this amazing ability to overcomplicate things and wasn't looking forward to the VASTLY NEEDED formatting of the post. Or the rewriting of the source material.
Ayrik Posted - 16 Dec 2010 : 03:59:50
Nien, du hast, du hast mitsch.
ErskineF Posted - 16 Dec 2010 : 03:11:27
quote:
Originally posted by Laerrigan

I don't know that anyone but me even cares about this point, but language can really make me twitch, and we always find some reason to stick archaic speech into a fantasy setting (guilty as charged, lol).

Good info. The verb forms for second and third person singular can be very different too. Here's a sample conjugation for the verb "to have":

I have
Thou hast
He/She/It hath

We have
Ye have
They have

Note that for verb forms that are conjugated with an auxiliary, one shouldn't double up on the endings. For example: "Dost thou have the gold?" is correct. "Dost thou hast" would be incorrect, and one would never, ever say "Dost thou hath." Also, one would not say "Dost ye have," but rather "Do ye have."
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 15 Dec 2010 : 23:15:14
LOLOLOL!!!! Sure- they were the ORIGINAL "rock stars"!!
Ayrik Posted - 15 Dec 2010 : 22:59:17
Actors used to be viewed as the scum of society, yet today they're treated like the aristocracy of great houses?

Does that apply to Celtic bard types?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 15 Dec 2010 : 18:18:03
Here's a little-known fact. Up until the 17-1800's, nearly all actors were men. This goes all the way back to the first Greek theaters, when only one- and later two or three- actors were ever on stage. Men playing women's parts would wear wigs and dresses, and were usually clean-shaven for ease of changing roles for womesn's parts. The earliest actors wore masks, before make-up was used, so this was not a problem then, but in later times, the actors had to use fake beards in place of a real one if they needed to play multiple parts. For centuries, theater was cnsidered not much better than prostitution, so no respectable woman would ever become an actor, and with men taking all the parts, there was little opportunity unless a woman wanted to fake the opposite gender for her carreer. (It was rare, but supposedly DID happen occasionally.) This might also be why people love to gossip about the lives of famous actors- a hold-over from the less respectable days when theater folks were looked down on and whispered about scandalously by the audience!
Ayrik Posted - 15 Dec 2010 : 10:53:49
Gender-based articles are throwbacks to other languages, both Germanic and Romance. English, as a Celtic melting pot language for all of Europe, had no chance at all of even beginning to show formal structure until literacy became widespread. Royal decrees and Bible printings had a lot to do with standardizing the language as well (since the Bible was guaranteed to be the first book anyone read, and the Christian Church monopolized literacy/education for centuries).

I'd always thought "Ye" was more of an Elminsterism than an historical term ... learn something new every day.

My favourite be "doust", contraction for "dost thou" ... how cool is that?
Laerrigan Posted - 15 Dec 2010 : 08:40:27
I don't know that anyone but me even cares about this point, but language can really make me twitch, and we always find some reason to stick archaic speech into a fantasy setting (guilty as charged, lol). So here is the proper declension of thee/thou/etc. according to Wikipedia (and if you can't trust Wikipedia, who can you trust? ). As I daydreamed through most English classes I ever had and have learned most all of the technicalities through reading/writing it in practice and fixating on explanations/examples for others (such as below) and I honestly don't know how I did so well in Latin---and I'm up way past when I should have gone to sleep and losing brain capacity as a result---I might just possibly have gotten an example sentence a bit wrong and I'd appreciate any corrections on anything that jumps out to someone.

1st person pronouns were the same as ours.

2nd person
singular informal
  • Nominative: Thou ("Thou hast done this to me.")

• Objective: Thee ("I will graciously allow thee to find foods for my cravings that thou hast caused.")

• Genitive: Thy/thine, the latter being used immediately before a vowel or in a predicate ("Thy breakfast smelleth offensive, dear. The fault for this ill sensation is all thine.")

• Possessive: Thine ("Please take thine eggs into another room. And close the door.")

2nd person
plural or formal singular
  • Nominative: Ye ("Ye have come to pay homage.")

• Objective: You ("I extend to you my foot at which to bow.")

• Genitive: Your ("Your adulation is appropriate. All of ye may bask in my presence.")

• Possessive: Yours ("Yours is the duty to please me.")

3rd person
singular
  • Nominative: He/she/it ("It is obvious in usage.")

• Objective: Him/her/it ("Credit for writing this needless obviousness belongeth to her.")

• Genitive: His/her/his (it)* ("Her fixation hath brought about this nitpicking over usage. His obviousness is not quite so great for the genitive, however.") THAT was one I wasn't aware of until looking it up tonight---"his" as the genitive form of "it"...?

• Possessive: His/hers/his* ("The morbid enjoyment of nitpicking is likely hers alone.")

*(quoting Wikipedia briefly) "From the early Early Modern English period up until the 17th century, his was the possessive of the third person neuter it as well as of the 3rd person masculine he. Genitive "it" appears once in the 1611 King James Bible (Leviticus 25:5) as groweth of it owne accord."

3rd person plural was also the same as modern.

Example of archaic language misuse WIN: "Ye can't get ye flask!"

And then there's a bit of conjugation, which really isn't too complex (though I'm sure I've gotten it wrong on occasion) but I'm getting tired enough that I don't want to mess with the re-writing and formatting right now....
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 15 Dec 2010 : 07:18:10
LOL, you clearly have more of them than you might think, if you've been bitten so often! Actually, both species are even more common here. I've never been bitten myself- apparently, spiders of all kinds recognize me as an arachnophile and leave me alone, even when crawling on me- but my hubby has been bitten twice by a recluse, and although the first bite was caught and treated within minutes, the second festered for days unnoticed until it ate a small hole in his leg. Needless to say, he still has a scar- and a virulent hatred for arachnids!! (He's anarachnophobe to begin with, so you can imagine who gets to deal with the creepy-crawlies in our house...)

As far as the venom is concerned, the size and age of the spider has a lot to do with how the venom affects a human- some are much more venomous than others, due to size, age, and even sex (the females are MUCH worse than the males!) Widow males do not even usually bite, and their venom is so weak it hardly affects a human, unlike the females. Both are very common here in the South, especially in rural areas. I've seen a Widow build no less than four egg-sacs, and we've got the lovely and agile Wolf spiders, too. My personal favorites are the little but feisty Jumpers- the hairy little guys with large heads and front legs, usually marked in interesting colors and patterns. Jumpers have excellent vision for their size, and are quite willing to pounce at a perceived threat to frighten it away. Another fascinating spider is the common yet colorful Yellow Agriope, he garden spiders so many people see every summer building large webs in lawns, fields, and bushes. They are among the largest of the orb-weavers, often measuring as much as four inches in leg-span, with two-inch bodies. (this is the female- the male is actually quite small in comparison!)
Ayrik Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 06:57:07
I've been bitten by brown recluse and black widows many times. They're actually fairly rare (because our larger "wolf spiders" eat them) but it seems that I have an unfortunate knack for crawling into or sticking my hands into exactly the sorts of places these beasties like to lurk (and they'll generally try to hide or escape before biting, but oh well) ... I generally suffer at least ten black widow bites every winter (the little bastards sneak into garages/homes for the heat), although I've seen nests of them under wood piles in the summer, had hundreds of them crawling on me at once, full grown, shiny with their bright little hourglass markings, must've been mating season or something.

The "venom" feels (and pretty much looks) just like you've suffered a moderately serious scald or burn, especially sore in your fingers/joints when you (stupidly) insist on forgetting or ignoring it. A few of these bites in the same day will make you feel "sicky" and slow down a bit for a couple days; an half-dozen in the same day day will put you into wimpy woozy bedrest for nearly a week. One spider might inject enough venom to be lethal to children, elderly, weak, or ill people; every few years there's news of a black widow death but you don't hear about the many dozens who've been bitten and lived. Recluse bites are (for most people) much rarer, since you pretty much have to corner the spider and press it right against your skin to make it bite.

[Oh yes, they most certainly are brown recluse and black widow spiders, we have several species here, and our medical people recognize the bites. These bites can indeed be lethal to many people (don't look it up, very disgusting), fortunately I'm not one of them.]
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 06:28:11
For those interested in spiders as familiars, mounts (for really big ones) or companions-

Most spiders have a life-span of one year or less- however, there are exceptions to this, notably among tarantulas, some species of which can live as long as twenty years for females, which re also generally larger than their mates. Spiders generally fall into four (some say five) basic categories- orb-weavers, scaffold-builders, hunters, and the trap-door and funnel spiders. IRL, the most deadly spider is the Sydney Funnel-Web, with the "Fiddleback" or Brown Recluse being second, and the Widow spiders coming in third. Contrary to belief, Black Widows (and the close relative the Red-Back- whose name I borrowed for my Marvel mutant hero) do not always kill their mates, although it is common. In fact, many spider species do this, and in some, the male actually sacrifices himself to insure that she lays more eggs and that they are fertile. Some males go so far as to "plug" the female after mating, to prevent other males from mating.

Spider venom is actually a highly modified form of saliva, much like snake venom, and not only paralyzes the prey, but it also helps to digest it by liquifying the insides. Spiders can be found everywhere on earth except for the poles, and ballooning spiderlings have been known to travel thousands of miles in the stratosphere before landing. Spider silk is ten times stronger than an equal thickness of steel, so one can imagine the strength of the webs of a giant spider. Most species are harmless to humans, so fears of arachnids are largely unfounded, save for the occasional encounter with a Widow or Recluse.
Bladewind Posted - 12 Dec 2010 : 17:25:22
Addendum: Troll cannibalism is also a very common occurance in mountain and ice troll populations. Females in the later stages of pregnancy often refuse to leave the cave they chose to dwell in, favoring taking a bite out of any mates and male trolls that dwell with her. A troll is even able to survive by eating parts of itself thanks to their regenaritve physiology. This is a still a painfull experience so they prefer to eat others. (Pregnant) Females use the prospect of cannibalism to send out her males to hunt for raw meat in the surrounding mountian slopes.

Troll children are usually the first to suffer from cannibalistic tendancies of a tribe, as its flesh is less stringy and more succulent. This toughens the child to future hardships. The trolls childs mind is so trained to see pain as a transient state, as a troll thats afraid of pain is less useful to a tribe. A trolls limbs are usually the choice parts that are sacrificed to the elders in a tribe. An adolescent troll that wants to be accepted as an adult goes through a rite of passage involving the sacrifice of both its arms, and after it has regenerated its arms back to original strength is accepted into the tribe fully.

Cannibalism sustains trolls in even in the most remote locations, and mountain trolls are not likely to travel far from the caves they choose to live in. Trolls bloody themselves when trying to excavate their lairs, but are not overly bothered by this. A cleric might choose to use spells for creating bigger caves sometimes, but prefers to let other trolls chip away stones with their claws till they break and bleed.

Troll society is also strongly matriarchal, mostly because the females are larger and more likely to hold a religious position as cleric or adept of Vaprak. The female shaman largely decide on what barbaric practises are to be followed. Males are cowed into subversion, preventing them into thinking self-exile is better for themselves. Mountain troll exiles actually soon discover that they can quickly get a far better station amongst goblinoid or orcish tribes that in troll tribes.

Some female troll clerics have developed extensive bone based grafting techniques over the years, incorporating strong and sharpened bones of their victims into their flesh (aided by spell) to give them a form of natural armor spikes.
Bladewind Posted - 12 Dec 2010 : 14:18:17
Mountain troll ecology

Not much is known about trolls, but they seem to be increasingly prevalent in the harsh conditions of mountains. The lore uncovered herein will focus on the specific breed of troll that are encountered in Fearuns mountainous regions. The slightly more intelligent Ice trolls are to be mentioned as well.

Mountain trolls usually stands 9 to 10 feet tall and weighs 500 pounds or more. Females are slightly larger than males. A troll’s rubbery hide is moss green, mottled green and gray, or putrid gray. The hair is usually greenish black or iron gray. Ice trolls are slightly less big, standing 8 feet tall and weighing 450 pounds, and are distinguished by their transparent blue-white tinted skins, fierce blue eyes and their habit of clothing themselves in hides and pelts.

Trolls in mountains function as scavengers, opportunistic predators and cannibals in the ecosystem. They are usually driven by hunger, and their lack of fear of death makes them terrible foes. Unlike their forest brethren, mountian trolls tend to hunt alone because of the scarceness of food. Mountain trolls hate sharing and are known to hunt and eat their own, especially after the other has managed to capture some prey. Thats why most trolls are likely to immediately start eating downed prey raw, even when they are still living.

The most successful members of the troll race are able to organise to a degree though. These bands of two to five trolls are usually religiously motivated by a single shaman of Vaprak, the giant god of destruction. A shaman usually operates from a dark mountain cavern, where it tends to hoard treasure and bones of as much humanoids as it can. Such a shaman demands his band to be in the best shape it can be, and trolls usually train by repeatedly clubbing eachother to the head or torso. Troll shamanism (usually voodoo-like adepts, druids or clerics) centers largely around primitive rituals, involving the bones of the gathered prey. These shaman believe a creatures bones hold special power over their kind, and troll shaman can be seen wearing human or dwarf bone armor. Their spell components are usually bone based, so they tend to carry around large sacks instead of the normally beltpouch sized bags.

The most feared of all are those trolls with enough intelligence (usually exceptional individuals with int 10 or more) to garner some sort of skill in humanoid hunting practices. A mountain trolls keen senses and scent give them uncanny ability to pick up tracks of their favored meals. These troll headhunters are known to track down prey for months, relying on their supernatural endurance to the mountainous conditions to tire their prey until they will ambush them in a frenzied and swift melee.

Ice trolls tend to stay near running water such as glacier melting pools, as their regenerative ability is tied to cold liquid water. Because of their slightly smaller size, ice trolls are more often encountered in bands of 2 to 6. Their preferred lairs are extensive or labyrinthine glacier cave systems, in which their scent is their main aid for traversal. The unstable nature of these caves is often used to their advantage, and they sometimes lure unwary mountaineers into collapsible cave ways.

Ice trolls are also known to be fashion sturdy nets underneath unstable sheets of ice at the base of their glacial pools, or at the bottom of wading pools they hunt in. When unsuspecting prey traverses such a place they ensnare them into the cold waters and wait until the foes start suffering from hypothermic reactions. Ice troll hunters use their expert mountain and cavern knowledge to cause avalanches or conceal unstable snowy pathways.

Ice trolls can sometimes be found incased in their own icy lairs, and are said to be able to survive for centuries incased this way. Some powerful shaman are purposely encased along with their garnered possessions. These ice mummy trolls are known to awaken with terrible icy powers. Their touch can spread a magical disease that freezes and subsequently melts their victims into pools of icy water.

Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Nov 2010 : 04:21:20
Vampires, yes, elves- not so much....
Ayrik Posted - 28 Nov 2010 : 01:54:39
Hmmphf. Like any real orc would ever care at all about offending people with his bad breath. Besides, garlic helps keep those pesky elves and vampires away.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Nov 2010 : 01:33:57
And for some commonly encountered problems on the road I have these:

Athlete's foot (from tramping through damp dungeons or muddy roads in soggy boots for days on end)- Garlic, Onion (on the feet)
Bad Breath (from eating food gone bad during travel, or for those pesky orcs with no hygiene)- Parsley, Alfalfa
Bleeding (from wounds inflicted by said orcs)- Blackberry, Witch Hazel, Yarrow
Burns (from dragons angry at having their hoards filched)- Aloe, Comfrey, Marsh Mallow (the flower, not the squishy things)
Colds, Influenza (from more tramping in wet weather)- Boneset, Ginger, Rose, Marsh Mallow, Echinacea, Hyssop
Colic (not sure where you'd get it, but it's common in old days)- Dill, Savory, Slippery Elm
Coughs (brought on by any number of ailments)- Cocoa, Coltsfoot, Angelica, Licorice, Tea, Thyme, Oregano, Wild Cherry
Constipation (no more need be said)- Apple, Buckthorn, Parsley, Rhubarb, Vervain
Diarrhea/Dissentery (from drinking from orc-polluted streams)- Apple, Bayberry, Dill, Mullein, Goldenseal, Meadowsweet
Fever (from any of the above)- Bayberry, Meadowsweet, Parsley, Willow
Food-poisoning (from the innkeeper's three-day-old stew)- Angelica, Burdock, Catnip, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Clove, Garlic, Mint, Mullein
Gout (big problem back then)- Nettle
Insomnia (useful for anyone in "shady" professions; also of particular use to paranoid drow)- Balm, Passionflower, Skullcap, Chamomile, Catnip (mild body high also), Valerian, Wild Cherry
Nausea (from bad food, morning sickness, or certain mosnters' stenches)- Ginger, Mint, Rose, Raspberry
Pain (many sources for this- pick one)- Meadowsweet, Vervain, Willow, Black Haw, Passionflower, Aloe
Rashes/Stings (any poisonous plant, some insects, acidic breath)- Aloe, Chamomile, Oatmeal
Wounds (battle, bites, brawls, etc)- Aloe, Comfrey, Echinacea, Eucalyptus, Garlic, Mint, Turmeric, Witch Hazel, Yarrow
Infections- (might be useful for some of those magical diseases)- Garlic, Dandelion, Echinacea, Burdock, Mint, Myrrh, Goldenseal, Clove oil(externally only), Chamomile, Licorice

Edit: Sage, your gremlins are loose again!!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Nov 2010 : 00:42:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Healing: These herbs would be staples in a cleric's supplies- Lavender, Cinnamon, Apple, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rue, Sage, Thistle, Amaranth, Eucalyptus, Onion, Garlic, and Myrrh
Actually, I've been told by the Lady K that Sage is actually good for causing both confusion and frustration.

And a time-dilation effect, too!
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Nov 2010 : 00:19:13
LOL!! Er, wrong Sage....

Arik- to answer your earlier question, no I don't believe there are any contraceptive herbs per se, but there are several that serve the purpose of "promoting menses" which can also be construed as a sort of "contraceptive after-the-fact". They are: the aforementioned Mistletoe and Shepard's Purse, as well as Motherwort, Black Cohosh, Fennugreek, Pennyroyal, and Yarrow. I would imagine that a concoction of one or more of these used more-or-less daily would act about the same as our modern Pill, taken by women, of course.

Conversely, those who wished to conceive would likely have taken herbs like Ginkgo, Ginseng, Ginger, and Garlic, both used by both men and women for "improving potency". Some herbs also act as mild aphrodesiacs, such as Apple, Blackberry, Raspberry, the aforementioned Ginkgo and Genseng, Yerba Mate', and Rose. In the same vein, certain herbal oils like Jasmine, Sandalwood, Cinnamon, Raspberry, and Vanilla when used externally, serve a similar purpose.
The Sage Posted - 27 Nov 2010 : 23:35:44
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Healing: These herbs would be staples in a cleric's supplies- Lavender, Cinnamon, Apple, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rue, Sage, Thistle, Amaranth, Eucalyptus, Onion, Garlic, and Myrrh
Actually, I've been told by the Lady K that Sage is actually good for causing both confusion and frustration.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 27 Nov 2010 : 21:28:17
0n the subject of herb lore, I have a few bits of herbal magic lore to share. Some of this may prove useful for those who play wizards who require herbs as part of their spell components. It is commonly known that certain herbs have use in spells, so here's a short list of herbs and their various uses in magic.

Divination: Herbs that might be spell components for these types of spells are Ash, Cinnamon, Juniper, Mugwort, Nutmeg, Rose, Sandalwood, Thyme, Wormwood, and Anise.
Fertility (perhaps these would also be useful in reversed spells for contraceptive purposes): Cucumber, Mandrake, Oak, Pomegranate, Poppy, Rose, Walnut, Sunflower, and Pine
Love: These might equate to various Charm spells- Apple, Jasmine, Lavender,Myrtle, Rose, Rosemary, Vervain, Violet, and Blackberry.
Protection: Herbs no wizard or cleric should be without- Angelica, Fennel, Garlic, Mistletoe, Peony, Rowen, Rue, Vervain, and Willow.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000