Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alarm Clocks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kaladorm Posted - 10 Apr 2006 : 20:36:00
This may be a question for Ed, but I thought I'd check with scribes here first ;)I first thought about this when Giogi Wyvernspur has to get up early to investigate the crypt in the Wyverns Spur novel

How do people in the realms get up early in the mornings when they have to?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kaladorm Posted - 12 Apr 2006 : 23:38:05
quote:
Originally posted by Mean Eyed Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Well Giogi was quite drunk when he went to bed, so no way he'd naturally wake up so early :)
I wonder what it was that woke Thomas up? :D

Right - maybe "Nature Called" if he drank quite a bit before he went to bed.

Seriously - I remember reading somewhere how Plains Indians would drink a lot of water before going to sleep in order to wake up real early in the morning. "Nature's Alarm Clock"

That was a great idea. It may have been in some intelligent piece of literature, but it was also mentioned in the simpsons

Mean Eyed Cat Posted - 12 Apr 2006 : 23:23:04
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Well Giogi was quite drunk when he went to bed, so no way he'd naturally wake up so early :)

Right - maybe "Nature Called" if he drank quite a bit before he went to bed.

Seriously - I remember reading somewhere how Plains Indians would drink a lot of water before going to sleep in order to wake up real early in the morning. "Nature's Alarm Clock"
Fletcher Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 19:54:00
or it could be that they just go to bed early. If you can't spare the expense of continual light, candles or lamp oil, perhaps you go to sleep when it gets dark, and get up fully refreshed when it is light.

eh?
Arivia Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 17:58:40
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I'm sure that would be a standard cantrip.

Which reminds me, anyone with 3E rules expertise want to help me write up the spell Tilateir's Marriage of Socks?

If you're serious, and you don't mind a bit of a turnaround, send me a PM; I'll likely forget otherwise.
Faraer Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 17:34:33
The spell is an enchantment to prevent just that, by magically keeping socks in pairs.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 17:03:57
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Which reminds me, anyone with 3E rules expertise want to help me write up the spell Tilateir's Marriage of Socks?

Just remember to include a chance of failure, due to mysteriously vanished socks.
Faraer Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 15:40:46

Kaladorm Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 11:11:16
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Servants.

Shadovar Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 02:12:33
If one is sensitive to the light of the new day which brings about warmth and heat, one will know how to wake up already.

Another possible suggestion is that there is due to the natural clockwork or kind of sleep cycle in the body that is tempered and programmed through experience that it becomes very natural to the person. Example is one's eyes suddenly opening on their own accord at a particular time. I am sure majority of the realms' folk do this.

Reliance on servants and slaves can be quite unreliable and develops a dependence habit on them which is considered generally unhealthy, for the wealthy and nobles. Candles are quite inaccurate to use to keep track of time as many factors can influence the rate of melting and etc.

Combat experienced and professional soldiers can use other signs such as faint lightening of the night, changes in the local animal behaviors and the environment as well as some other observations to help inform them when is the estimated time of the coming of dawn.
The Sage Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 01:20:46
Some specially crafted cantrip perhaps -- that rings a small bell by the bedside or rustles the sleeper awake.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Apr 2006 : 21:50:34
Servants.
Kentinal Posted - 10 Apr 2006 : 21:23:15
In general such things are not needed. They of course might exist in the realms, however this is how most people will deal with waking on time:

The commonor/farmer will wake at daylight (or near to it) and/or the cock's crow (as chickens abound in the realms).

There is also a natural cycle of sleep wake period that most creatures adjust to.

Adventures should of course maintain a watch, which leads to the person awake to awake the rest of the party.

A stay at home wealthy type will use time candles, water clocks, etc. and have a servant or slave awake people at the proper time.

Is it posible to oversleep? Yes of course it is, but there are many ways one might try to prevent it. One might even use a delayed spell of some kind.
Kuje Posted - 10 Apr 2006 : 21:14:35
Roosters? :)

Someplaces also probably have temple items that ring the dawn, especially if there's a temple/shrine/etc of Lathander there.....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000