Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who could have firearms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
woodwwad Posted - 31 Dec 2009 : 21:44:08
One of my players wants to have a firearm for his character in my upcoming FR game. The one will be starting after my current game is finished which should be between 6 months and a year. The PCs will be from the Sword Coast, Western Heart Lands and Lands of Intrigue. None of the PCs can be from waterdeep. So the question is, in 1368 DR who could have a firearm. I'm not a huge fan of firearms but I'm not opposed to it either, especially not in this case. I try to be true to the setting and think hard about any changes I make to the setting, even small things, such as adding a temple of another God to a city. A lot of you guys seem to have an excellent grasp on cannon FR lore, so I wanted to see what you thought. As always thank you for taking the time to address my questions.

Ander
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 05:56:23
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Thanks Sage. I think some Iron Kingdoms lore will be my naughty little merry xmas present to myself.

Good luck finding them. They're far from common, and rarely as cheap as their cover price.
A quick scan of the catalogue at nobleknight.com reveals plenty of second-hand copies at [mostly] reasonable prices.
quote:
The Primer that Sage mentioned is called Lock & Load.
That's the one.
quote:
And I think the Monsternomicons are some of the best monster books that were released in 3E, by any company. I was most impressed with them.
Very much agreed. In fact, they're regularly stacked among my other useful monster-related books that I use for my assorted campaign-specific games.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 05:00:03
quote:

Thanks Sage. I think some Iron Kingdoms lore will be my naughty little merry xmas present to myself.

Good luck finding them. They're far from common, and rarely as cheap as their cover price.

The Primer that Sage mentioned is called Lock & Load.

And I think the Monsternomicons are some of the best monster books that were released in 3E, by any company. I was most impressed with them.
Ayrik Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 01:54:25

I wasn't certain about the legal standing of the Red Steel download, since it's no longer linked through the wizards site.
The Sage Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 01:44:51
quote:

I've checked out the Privateer Press / Iron Kingdoms site (here) and I'm a little confused by their offerings ... which book(s) from their series do you recommend? In general, and in particular (as they relate to firearms)?
There's largely only two main setting books -- The World Guide and the Campaign Guide. Both contain important rules-related info on the use of firearms in the IK setting. Additionally, the Liber Mechanika tome offers pertinent information as well, and how it relates to the mechanical technology prevalent in the setting.

Also, there are two monster-books -- the Monsternomicons -- that detail particular nasties of the world. And there's a Character Primer as well, released as an early teaser for IK, and a trilogy [and an interlude adventure] of adventure modules [Witchfire] which largely set the stage for the setting, long before the campaign books were released. There's a city-sourcebook too, Five Fingers: Port of Deceit, but it's not really all that relevant to the discussion of firearms.
quote:
Smoke Powder is described in the 2E DMG. FRA does introduce firearms into the (2E) Realms, wooly. The Red Steel (Savage Coast) campaign material (with more complete firearms and rules) is a free Wizards download (available here).
[Mods: please edit if this is incorrect]

That's fine.
Ayrik Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 01:29:32
In no particular order:
Firearms in (A)D&D
Deity vs Nuke?
Thayan (Thayvian) bombards
The Church of Gond and Firearms
Technology in the Realms
Ask Ed Greenwood
Status of Firearms in the Realms in 3/3.5
Gnome Gunner
Alternate Planes
Salt in the Realms
Reorg of Item Creation Feats
For the DND players
Blade & Stars

I've checked out the Privateer Press / Iron Kingdoms site (here) and I'm a little confused by their offerings ... which book(s) from their series do you recommend? In general, and in particular (as they relate to firearms)?

Smoke Powder is described in the 2E DMG. FRA does introduce firearms into the (2E) Realms, wooly. The Red Steel (Savage Coast) campaign material (with more complete firearms and rules) is a free Wizards download (available here).
[Mods: please edit if this is incorrect]
The Sage Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 01:15:18
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And I'd search the Privateer Press website as well. I seem to recall them offering a free PDF revealing design notes and cut firearms-related material from the IK books, that could prove useful.

Found it. Not much to it, but here it is, for those who want to eyeball it.

Hmmm. That doesn't look like the one I've got on file though. I'll have to check, but I distinctly recall the setting designers including a FAQ and an interview about the developments of firearms in IK, along with material cut from the book.

Maybe it was part of their 'Design Notes' blog from just before the release of the books? Again, I'll have to check.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 01:10:15
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And I'd search the Privateer Press website as well. I seem to recall them offering a free PDF revealing design notes and cut firearms-related material from the IK books, that could prove useful.

Found it. Not much to it, but here it is, for those who want to eyeball it.
The Sage Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 00:11:41
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So I was looking through video games I want to x-mas and/or to buy and I came across this game called Red Steel 2. For those who don't know what it is, it's sorta like ninjas in an old West. There's a great mixture of firearms with swords and other medieval/feudal japan weapons. Looks really interesting.

So the character concept I'm contemplating here is a sort of High-Plains drifter in his mannerisms and style of dress and uses a sword (longsword, bastard sword, or possibly Katana) and a 6-shot revolver. He'll have a level or two in Artificer to represent his birth and beginning years in Lantan. I also chose artificer because I think it's the best way to have him create the magical smoke powder through their infusions. Since he's always on the move, he needs to resupply his own stock of ammunition (by keeping his brass cartridges from used ammo and having the ability to make smoke powder on the fly). This means he'll have high ranks in Craft (alchemy) and Craft (weaponsmithing).

Any suggestions on how an Infusion or Spell might look to turn non-magical smoke powder into magical smoke powder?

Again, the Iron Kingdoms rules could be readily modified for this -- without needing the Artificer class, as well.

Razz Posted - 06 Dec 2010 : 23:58:30
I never understood why one couldn't allow primitive version of guns and rifles in the game. I think the designers couldn't settle on a universal set of rules for guns, and then there was the "armor can't stop bullets" issue.

Personally, I think it should be allowed, but rare. They should've stuck with it dealing damage one step higher than normal (a d6 deals d8, etc.), and rolling for extra damage whenever you roll a max number on the die, but also the chance of it exploding on you on a 1. The loading issue is annoying, but allow feats to chain with firearms so that someone wanting to be the "cool gunslinger" character would have to invest heavily.

Plus, there's always an archetype gunslinger even in many of the medieval fantasy RPGs I have seen, with fantasy-type guns. There's nothing wrong with it, I always thought the designers would be more open to guns with the advent of these very same RPGs.

Enchanting your gun to shoot shocking bullets is just awesome.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Dec 2010 : 18:31:24
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So I was looking through video games I want to x-mas and/or to buy and I came across this game called Red Steel 2. For those who don't know what it is, it's sorta like ninjas in an old West. There's a great mixture of firearms with swords and other medieval/feudal japan weapons. Looks really interesting.

So the character concept I'm contemplating here is a sort of High-Plains drifter in his mannerisms and style of dress and uses a sword (longsword, bastard sword, or possibly Katana) and a 6-shot revolver. He'll have a level or two in Artificer to represent his birth and beginning years in Lantan. I also chose artificer because I think it's the best way to have him create the magical smoke powder through their infusions. Since he's always on the move, he needs to resupply his own stock of ammunition (by keeping his brass cartridges from used ammo and having the ability to make smoke powder on the fly). This means he'll have high ranks in Craft (alchemy) and Craft (weaponsmithing).

Any suggestions on how an Infusion or Spell might look to turn non-magical smoke powder into magical smoke powder?

Again, the Iron Kingdoms rules could be readily modified for this -- without needing the Artificer class, as well.
Ayrik Posted - 06 Dec 2010 : 17:23:21
Red Steel is also the name of a D&D setting, one which can be readily imported into the Realms and which features a goodly amount of 3M/PotC-styled firearms (plus a setting-anchored limits on availability of magical Smokepowder ammo and some interesting reasons for certain characters to entirely avoid using firearms).
Diffan Posted - 06 Dec 2010 : 14:10:38

Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 14:17:28
The old Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover is the only Realms book I can think of, off the top of my head, that paid any real attention to firearms. Most stuff since then has ignored firearms or only mentioned them in passing.
Sylrae Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 10:11:48
Yeah they have firearms in FR by Canon, but they're still black powder styles, even though they use 'smokepowder' for the effect. Think 3 musketeers or PotC. The guns are hardly unbalancing, it's just a matter of personal tastes. I like one-shot firearms personally.

I had a bunch of PCs get in a fight with a goblin. It was memorable. I have a drawing I did somewhere too. He was the captain of a pirate ship. and his first mate was a minotaur. The goblin pirate used flintlock pistols. 8 of them, combined with a saber. He'd fire the pistol, then toss it to the ground. The PCs were really satisfied when they finally killed him.
Markustay Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 08:32:36
They are considered a novelty, no more. the only nation to use them to any extent is Amn, and only the Iron Legion has them (one particular elite group).

They are available for purchase on Lantan, and I suppose in certain 'black markets' (areas that deal with spelljammers, most likely), but good luck finding ammo and smokepowder when you need it.
bladeinAmn Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 07:34:56
Oh I love the PotC series! But that's not high fantasy, like Forgotten Realms, LotR, and others like so. Yeah I loved that theme of Jack's lone shot in the 1st movie! And I guess the guns balance out the relative lack of magic in that series.

Yeah Ed goes on in the Dragon Magazine issue I have, saying what you've said, that guns in the early days were really bad! It's issue #60, from April '82, if you want more of it. Ed concludes the article by saying (I paraphrase) "That its good to use in order to discipline cocky players" and stuff! I actually never finished reading the article, as I decided before that, and reinforced by the first few paragraphs of the said article, that I don't feel or think how guns make sense in my Realms.

Hmm... Already canon, eh? I actually already knew that from the OGB, but never thought much of it. If that's so, then the guns I'll accept in my Realms are the bad guns that you've spoken of here, and Ed has spoken of in the article I've addressed. Not guns like those of today's time on Earth!
Markustay Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 06:32:42
I don't know, those PotC movies are pretty fantasy-ish, and yet they have guns. In fact, they kinda made fun of Jack's one and only 'shot' in the first movie.

Early guns still required one to carry a sword, or some sort of equivalent (like a bayonet). Another example would be the Three Musketeers. Those early weapons really didn't out-perform Bows, they merely did away with the necessary skill (but required entirely new skills unto themselves). Their accuracy blew chunks, and the recoil was ferocious.

I'd allow it in my FR games, but only because it is already canon that they exist. Smokepowder exists in Kara-Tur, and they have been experimenting with both canon and gunnes (read Dragonwall). Traditionally, blackpowder (smokepowder) was used only in fireworks until recently.
bladeinAmn Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 06:06:42
Ed once wrote that (paraphrase) "Gunpowder was the end of sword fighting and castles, allowing folk to kill from a safe distance, regardless of skill level, personal strength, etc." It's in an old Dragon Magazine issue I got somewhere.

As a DM, I wouldn't allow gunpowder in my campaigns. As Ed wrote so long ago, it really does take away from developing your characters, regardless of class. It's literally a cop out .

What I will allow is something like, lets say, a 10th Class level mage, to cast a metamagically enhanced variation of the 1st lvl 3e spell True Strike (similar to how Magic Missile improves via the mage gaining class levels), to give a +25 dmg bonus to a sling bullet, but w/the penalty that it has to be launched within 3 seconds.

Now if I was a DM of a non-fantasy campaign, w/Earth being the setting, then yeah, I'd allow guns the in game, as its such a reality in our world. And I'd allow it if I was DM'ing a Star Wars tabletop game---but w/Star Wars guns and ammo, not Earth's! But I wouldn't do anything of the sort while running a high fantasy campaign.
The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 01:44:14
quote:

The Iron Kingdoms RPG books also have rules for firearms... The setting is a mixture of fantasy and steampunk, so there is a fair amount of firearm use there. They have some different rules for the gunpowder, but it's otherwise readily usable for FR. But good luck finding those books! It takes some doing to find them for prices as reasonable as the original cover price.

I'll second the IK rules for firearms. And they are readily accessible. So much so, that they required only slight modification for when I used them in place of the existing rules for firearms in the RAVENLOFT setting.
Markustay Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 01:10:23
I have the DMG and Player's Guide, by my FLGS never got in the Monster manual, and since that setting is quite a bit different then a standard fantasy setting, its rather crucial (so I was kinda mad at the guy at the LGS).

Anyhow, I highly recommend them, especially to anyone wanting to incorporate 'steamtech' into their campaigns. The rules on Necrotite shoe-horn beautifully into FR's shadowc... errr... shadow fluff.

I also used Deadlands: Weird west rules for my short-lived 'Old West meets FR' campaign - rules for more advanced guns and steamtech, but also some pretty cool fluff revolving around 'Ghost rock' (a type of 'mystical coal' that screams when you burn it).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Jul 2010 : 00:56:09
The Iron Kingdoms RPG books also have rules for firearms... The setting is a mixture of fantasy and steampunk, so there is a fair amount of firearm use there. They have some different rules for the gunpowder, but it's otherwise readily usable for FR. But good luck finding those books! It takes some doing to find them for prices as reasonable as the original cover price.
Sylrae Posted - 02 Jul 2010 : 13:56:49
quote:
Originally posted by woodwwad

One of my players wants to have a firearm for his character in my upcoming FR game. The one will be starting after my current game is finished which should be between 6 months and a year. The PCs will be from the Sword Coast, Western Heart Lands and Lands of Intrigue. None of the PCs can be from waterdeep. So the question is, in 1368 DR who could have a firearm...
Ander

Hey Ander.
As mentioned above, pretty much anyone along the sword coast, from Icewind Dale to Calimshan, or on any of the islands in the Western Sea (whose name I cannot recall at the moment). Then there are gnomes, and the residents of ashabenford (who have a gnomish alchemist that sells the stuff).

Dallor Darden's Idea could work, if you want them to have a magic gun that reloads itself automatically but only fires 6 shots per day.

SfDragon's Idea of unlimited smokepowder could work if you limit it properly. As Wooly mentioned, you don't want the player to start making bombs...
If I was going to do this, make it a magic gun. It has the potential for unlimited smokepowder, but can only make one shot at a time, and it's replaced at a slow rate.
Then you just have some considerations to make:
1. Does it create the bullets too, or does the player have to load those manually?
2. How long do you want them to wait for the gun to reload?
3. Can they pour out the smokepowder if they choose to wait for it (and thus have access to explosives), or does the smoke powder always stay inside the gun.
4. Does the gun's magical nature allow it to be fired underwater.

Then you need to decide what sort of statblocks you'll use for the firearms. Here are the stats for firearms I allow in my FR Games. They're inspired by Mongoose' OGL Steampunk, though not the same.

Firearms are simple weapons (They're easier to aim than a crossbow one you're shown how), and the user only needs point blank shot for close range if the target is less than 15 feet away.

Light Weapons
Pistol, Light Flintlock: 75gp 1d10 x3 50ft. 4lbs. P

One-Handed Weapons
Pistol, Medium Flintlock: 100gp 2d6 x3 50ft. 6lbs. P
Pistol, Heavy Flintlock: 138gp 2d8 x3 50ft. 8lbs. P

Two-Handed Weapons
Blunderbuss: 100gp 1d12 19-20/x3 15ft. 12lbs. P*
A blunderbuss doesn't hold a single bullet, instead it holds a variety of shrapnel or smaller pellets. A character using a blunderbuss suffers no penalties for close range.
A blunderbuss takes 4 move actions to load.
Musket, Flintlock: 175gp 2d8 x3 100ft. 15 lbs. P

Special Properties:
These special properties can be added to any firearm save the blunderbuss.
Double Barreled: +75gp -10ft, +2lbs
The Damage Die goes down one size.
The gun is fitted with two triggers, and two barrels. Loading both barrels takes 4 actions instead of the 6 it would take to load two separate guns. Both shots can be fired separately or together. If fired together, a single attack roll is made, you get double the damage dice on a successful hit.
Rifled Barrel: +75gp +20ft.
The barrel has spiraling grooves on the inside that spin the bullet, propelling it faster and increasing its range.

Accessories & Ammo:
Apostle:5c.
This small metal container holds enough smokepowder for one shot. The price does not include the powder.
Bandoleer:See FRCS
Bullets (20):1g, 2lbs.
Powder Horn:1g, 1/2 lb.
Smokepowder:2s.
This is the price of one shot worth of smokepowder. Container not included.
Smokepowder(20):4g.

Firearm Mechanics
Loading a Firearm:Loading a Firearm takes 3 move actions. When done continuously, this translates into one and a half rounds to load. It involves pouring smokepowder down the barrel, packing it into the barrel with a metal rod, and pouring a small amount into a firing pan near the trigger, as well as dropping the bullet into the barrel.

Malfunction: On a roll of a 1-2, the firearm misfires. This is like a critical failure, except the effect of which is rolled on the following table.
Roll 1d20 and consult the table below.
1-2 - Explode: The item explodes, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage to the wielder, and 1d4 points of piercing damage to the wielder and to all creatures within 5 feet of the wielder.
3-6 - Breakdown: The firearm breaks. It won't work until repaired (DC 20), and repairing it will cost 1/4 the cost of the firearm to repair it.
7-11 - Jam: The firearm jams, and won't work until repaired (DC 20).
12-17 - Minor Fault: The Firearm doesn't work properly. It misfires. Until the gun is repaired (DC 15), all shots are at a -4 penalty, and every shot requires a new malfunction roll.
18-20 - Misfire: The gun simply doesn't fire. If fired again it functions as usual.

Repairing a Firearm: Roll an appropriate craft or profession skill (at the specified DC.
Alternately, roll an appropriate Knowledge skill (such as Engineering or Mechanical) at +4 DC.
It takes two times the DC in minutes to repair a firearm.

I would treat smokepowder as an alchemical item, but allow the player to use an appropriate craft feat if they want to have them count as say: +1 smokepowder.

Think like this:
A firearm does very nice damage, however:
1. The firearm takes long enough to load that it won't be used every round.
2. The firearm malfunctions 10% of the time.
3. The firearm costs 2 silver, 5 copper per shot. A crossbow costs 5 copper per shot.
4. By damage comparison, a firearm costs 1.5x what a crossbow does, and has shorter range.

If the firearms require an exotic proficiency, or the shots are much more expensive, or the player has to take a feat to get ammo for the firearm, then it needs to be made considerably better to compensate for what you're making the player give up.
Corwyn the Errant Posted - 01 Jul 2010 : 20:44:15
I've never really understood the hate for guns. As they are written in the game, they are little better than crossbows: about equal rate of damage, longer reload time, the danger of a misfire, and the hazards of carrying around a sizeable amount of smokepowder (in an old 2ed game, I had a PC gun user. He carried a small keg of powder with him. One day, he rolled a one for a save versus a fireball. The item saving throws started. Guess which one failed?)

Guess it's just a matter of taste. I've always loved "The Three Musketeers" and "Captain Blood." I've used matchlock level firearms in my campaigns with little harm. At best, they are "take a shot to soften 'em up before drawing a sword" weapons. And letting PCs run around with smokepowder handbombs is like giving a monkey a machine gun. Hilarity ensues. The biggest change is using cannon, which changes naval combat and siege warfare. But in a world with fire magic, smokepowder is often more dangerous than it's worth.
Saxmilian Posted - 01 Jul 2010 : 20:03:16
I just gave one of my players an Arbeques they discovered in the treasure horde. The weapon is Intelligent and will impart the knowledge of how to create Smokepowder upon the wielder. It cost 100 gold to craft a single "dose" of Smokepowder and the players find it far too expensive to wield the weapon more than once in awhile. They all chipped in any carry four "charges" for the weapon, just in case.
A new player was just facinated at the rarity and uniqueness of such a weapon, and it has been used more as story-device than an actualy weapon, though, the weapon itself demands to be used more and more, as it sees itself as the ultimate weapon.
I cant recall the source, but the mages of Waterdeep (if i recall correctly) were opposed to the sale and traffic of such weapons and hinder such progress. I use guns as "artifact-type" objects in my game. If you want one, and have the money, go for it, but dont complain when you have to find a temple of Gond to have it repaired, or have a half-dozen angry mages trying to destroy the weapon because they dont like science...
Also, i agree on the dangers of permanent "mass-producing" items such as a cask of unlimied Smokepowder. If my players take the time to create such a device, i will allow it (grumpily) though once word gets out that they have such an item, people come from far and wide to get some of the "free-stuff." I do the same for bags that produce food and water (it once started a riot in a town where a player Pally was trying to feed the hungry). If you abuse the power..you get what you deserve.
On the other hand, only the DM that allows something to become too powerful is to blame, a Cask of ever-producing Smokepower that can produce bombs daily IS something to watch out for, but so is Bray the Mage who pens a scroll of Fireballs every chance he gets and keeps handing them out to anyone who might be able to rad them so they can blast everything they see...
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Jan 2010 : 04:58:22
Give the fella a revolver...a magical one, maybe given to one of his ancestors LONG ago by a fella from Greyhawk (I'll make you all look up who has such things in Greyhawk). The problem is that it only gets six shots a day at most...then the next day the bullets magically refill. Any bullet taken out of the pistol dissolves into silver and black powder that drifts away in the wind...

How about that?

Gives the fella the ability to really unload every so often to get himself and/or friends out of a bind...but gets rid of the casks full of powder sitting around waiting to be used against the next enemy castle wall or advancing army...
sfdragon Posted - 06 Jan 2010 : 06:14:59
oh I got you the first time.
I was just saying that's how you'd get rid of such item if it became to powerful.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2010 : 04:38:11
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

as for the unlimited ammo, well yeah that is kind of true, its also very expensive in this case, and such a keg or bag, would loose its enchanments if it were blown up, the keg or pouch gone, its gone.

I'm not sure you're getting my point... I'm not saying to blow up the keg that provides unlimited smoke powder -- I'm saying dump some of that smoke powder out, and that removed amount would be what was blown up. So that unlimited keg would provide an unlimited supply of bombs, too.
sfdragon Posted - 06 Jan 2010 : 04:01:45
it was craft: alchemy I think in 3rd.

iirc correctly it was changed in 3.5.

as for the unlimited ammo, well yeah that is kind of true, its also very expensive in this case, and such a keg or bag, would loose its enchanments if it were blown up, the keg or pouch gone, its gone.

and...... insert personal rant here
woodwwad Posted - 06 Jan 2010 : 00:44:01
so is is craft alchemy or craft wonderus item for making gun pouder?

And yes, anything that makes unlimited anything is a terrible idea. The kind of item that can ruin your game.
The Sage Posted - 03 Jan 2010 : 04:52:14
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

its been a magical item since 3.0 afaik.

this said, the creation of it, was I think craft: alchemy iirc.

oh and as for my mini keg of unlimitedness, you know if blown up, it still would blow up only once and be gone.
makes for good plots and all.

I'm fairly certain smoke powder was a magical item in 2E, as well...
It was. Because of the altered physics of the Realms, only magical smoke powder would work.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000