Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Dawn of Night (Spoilers for Erevis Cale Trilogy)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SiriusBlack Posted - 24 May 2004 : 21:19:11
I just got the Second Book in The Erevis Cale Trilogy.

When last we left the trio, one had become a Shade, another was worried about his girls, and Jak was dealing with his friend's transformation. Not to mention that whole about to drown part...

From the back cover

quote:

The shadows recede from a lost temple in a forgotten wilderness.

The sun rises on a new calling for a man as loyal as he is mysterious.

The day's beginning finds Erevis Cale holding in his steady hands more power than he dared hope for--and more responsibility than he ever imagined.

For now, he will have to put his trust in a god served by thieves and born of chaos.

Interesting.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alaundo Posted - 19 Jun 2005 : 10:29:41
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

This was by far one of the best Realms books I have read in a long time...<snip>
Overall, this was great!

Well met

I heartily agree. Absolutely fantastic This novel is fighting for the top spot in my most favorite FR novels of all time. There are so many wonderfully written scenes that sent shivers down my spine, had me gasping, and just astounded me. I was concerned about the novel at first before starting to read, simply because I thought that Twilight Falling couldn't be beaten

I can't put into words how i'm feeling about the pending release of Midnight's Mask!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 19 Jun 2005 : 03:11:56
Oh my, its been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but since I was late to the party and just finished the book, I had to give my two coppers worth.

This was by far one of the best Realms books I have read in a long time. I love how conflicted Erevis is, and he seems to be a much more interesting balance of a "neutral" character than others that I have seen portrayed. He is really shown running the gamut between not caring , being cold blooded, caring too much, and fighting both extreems, and all in a way that seems natural internally to the character and isn't forced.

I love it when authors can create characters that you know are evil, and you wish would rot in Hell, but yet from time to time you are still reminded that they are human and have some good points as well. I know full well Riven is a . . . ahem . . . sorry excuse for a human, and most of the time I hate his guts, but then again . . . the dogs, the pipe . . . its classic.

I like Megadon for the most part, though I think he is the least developed characters so far. I really liked Paul's choice for who his father was, in order to make a big splash, but not the biggest. I don't know why, but somehow it seems more like a shocking event and not just a cheap plot by making it #2 rather than #1, if you take my meaning.

I love the idea of what amounts to a not too far from typical halfling like Jak in a novel that is much darker than we usually see halfings wandering around in. In a way, Jak's much more innocent reaction to some of the worst things that happen keep the book from feeling like its just bludgeoning us with grim immages. Seeing Jak get upset and sick and flustered lets us know its okay to break the surface and come up for air once in a while.

The Sojourner is one of the best villains in a long time, in part because he is, at the end of the second book, still not showing his hand. Apparently his plot is much simpler than the steps required to set up his plan, and if Paul pulls that off it will be brilliant. I also like the references to the Gith revolution being a multi world event.

Finally, Skullport has for many years been one of my favorite places to send PCs in order to make their lives difficult. Purely as a DMs tool I love the place, so I hope it manages to survive at least to a workable degree. I do wonder, however, if Paul excluded the skulls ability to summon the Wizshades as being a bit over the top in a book with the darker tone that he has already set.

Overall, this was great!
Lord Rad Posted - 29 Jul 2004 : 16:51:44
quote:
Originally posted by Windshear

For some reason when I read Twilight Falling, and reading through the spoilers now... I got/get the impression that Riven was a hell of a lot (no pun intended) like Daryth from the Moonshae trilogy. He was a Calimshite thief/spy/whatever who was also trained as a dog handler... or something like that.

character recycling perhaps?

I disagree. Riven is far from being like Daryth. Riven is much darker and deeper and has a completely different mindset. Its been some time since I read about Daryth but I never put them alike.
Windshear Posted - 29 Jul 2004 : 15:35:25
For some reason when I read Twilight Falling, and reading through the spoilers now... I got/get the impression that Riven was a hell of a lot (no pun intended) like Daryth from the Moonshae trilogy. He was a Calimshite thief/spy/whatever who was also trained as a dog handler... or something like that.

character recycling perhaps?
Panador Posted - 29 Jul 2004 : 08:20:47
Yeah, I think Spellfire ist a very, very powerful ability and maybe the Weave Tap, using both magic from the Weave and the Shadow Weave, ist the only thing cabable of... emulating Spellfire-abilities.

btw. Concerning Riven's betrayal - I haven't read all the stuff said up to now in this topic so sorry if I repeat things already stats - I also think Riven's just trying to get closer to the Sojourner and collect more information about him and his plans etc and maybe he didn't even try to hurt Cale too much, because he knew it would be hopeless because shades are indestructible. At least in the Return of the Archwizards series it was said, that shades are invulnerable - two Shade-Enclave shade even invaded a dragon's place and were attacked by his breath-weapon mutliple times and they didn't die, so I don't think a simple stab oder something like that could Cale outright.
DDH_101 Posted - 29 Jul 2004 : 00:02:52
I'm not sure myself but it seems like a good theory. After all, the Sojourner's plan heavily involves both the Weave and the Shadow Weave.
Panador Posted - 28 Jul 2004 : 23:40:37
I read the first two books of the Erevis Cale Trilogy - absolutely great by the way :) - and didn't think much about it when the goal of the Sojourner, the Crown of Fire, was revealed. But just now I read a little bit about Shandril and the Spellfire ability and stumbled about the 9th level "Crown of Fire". Are those two the same thing?

Considerig the Sojourner needs the Weave Tap, a immensely powerful artifact which uses magic from the Shadow Weave as well as from the "normal" Weave and that the Spellfire ability 'Crown of Fire' is one of the most powerful... "spells" if not the most powerful one of the just ridiculously powerful ability Spellfire (damn, quite a lot abilities ) it may at least be possible, right?

If it's already been discussed - I just registered here so I don't know about past discussions, I tried the search with "crown of fire" but there were just too many hits to look at all of them.

I wonder about those two similiar terms - are they really one and the same or is it just a coincidence?
DDH_101 Posted - 08 Jul 2004 : 02:51:07
Realms of Dragons? I might just get that along with my other FR books that I'm missing. Wait... damn! This means I've to buy ANOTHER book to find out what I wanna know. Another money-making scheme that I fell for. Lol.
PaulSKemp Posted - 08 Jul 2004 : 01:39:39
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Thanks a lot, Paul. Now all you did was make me even more curious about what's going to happen in the third book. You and your money-making idea... Lol.

Well, can you at least tell me who this Kesson Rel is? I've never heard of him until reading your book. This Chosen of Mask sounds like a really powerful character since he transported a whole city to the Plane of Shadows.

DDH,

My short story in the upcoming, "Realms of Dragons" anthology tells a tale of Kesson Rel and indirectly touches on the ultimate fates of Cale and Riven. It's entitled "Soulbound," and involves Furlinastis, the shadow dragon faced by Cale and Co. on the Plane of Shadow. The story explains the origin of the sentient shadows that were bound to Furlinastis.

Paul
DDH_101 Posted - 08 Jul 2004 : 00:10:45

Thanks a lot, Paul. Now all you did was make me even more curious about what's going to happen in the third book. You and your money-making idea... Lol.

Well, can you at least tell me who this Kesson Rel is? I've never heard of him until reading your book. This Chosen of Mask sounds like a really powerful character since he transported a whole city to the Plane of Shadows.
PaulSKemp Posted - 07 Jul 2004 : 13:54:49
quote:

THANK YOU NOTE #1:

I just want to say that the Erevis Cale trilogy is very good. Erevis is a very interesting if not strange character. I like how he serves Mask faithfully and rised to become the First of the Five even though he thinks the Shadowlord is a bastard and hates his patron. Lol. I haven't read the Sembia series but after reading about this follower of Mask, I can't wait to get the series and find more about him!

Can't wait for Midnight's Mask to come out! Can you please reveal some info on the last book? PLEASE!!

DDH,

I meant that I didn't want to fill the thread with thank you notes *from me* to all of you readers with nice things to say, not the other way around.

As for Midnight's Mask: I can't say much. I'll say this, though: I think you will be surprised with how it unfolds and how it ends. Cale, Jak, and Riven are in for still more changes, and the Sojourner's plot -- both incredibly ambitious and surprisingly simple -- will be revealed.

Paul
DDH_101 Posted - 07 Jul 2004 : 01:23:02
THANK YOU NOTE #1:

I just want to say that the Erevis Cale trilogy is very good. Erevis is a very interesting if not strange character. I like how he serves Mask faithfully and rised to become the First of the Five even though he thinks the Shadowlord is a bastard and hates his patron. Lol. I haven't read the Sembia series but after reading about this follower of Mask, I can't wait to get the series and find more about him!

Can't wait for Midnight's Mask to come out! Can you please reveal some info on the last book? PLEASE!!
PaulSKemp Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 15:40:54
quote:
Originally posted by CurseLord

I think I remember reading a sentence in which Cale had a vision of Mask stabbing Cyric(my memory is fuzzy on that), but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it in this book. Does anyone know of the page?

Curselord,

I believe you may be remembering a dream/vision sequence from the Cale short story that appeared in Dragon 297, "All the Sinners Saints."

Also, to avoid peppering the thread with ten separate thank you notes, I waited until things quieted so I could offer (with only one post) my thanks to everyone. So: Thank you all. I very much appreciate your taking the time to post your thoughts.

Paul

DDH_101 Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 18:21:49
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Possible spoiler......

If I recall DDH.Avner became the Seraph of Death during the trial of Cyric when he accused Mystra and Kelemvor of being lax in their duties.Kelemvor bade Avner to witness(damn forgot the number now)a certain amount of deaths,and report back to him what he witnessed.Now this is in short form.Avner was doomed to be Faithless,but in the Twilight Giants trilogy.Avner,unbeknowst to him made offerings to Mask.When it came time for Avners judgement.Avner argued that he belonged to Torm,but Mask appeared,and proved that Avner belonged to him.To the dismay of Mystra and Torm.Kelemvor released Avner to Mask,and now we have a fourth Choasen of Mask...I might be wrong on some things,but I think I am close.

Yes, you are right. I knew that part already though.
Lauzoril Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 18:20:03
Although I just completed Dawn of Night, I can't remember the page where that was mentioned.

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable novel, the team work of Cale and others really started to shape here. Events in the Plane of Shadow were interesting but when they travelled to Skullport, things really picked up. The decadency of Skullport was well described. The slaadi were interesting and humorous, in their own way, especially Aziim.
The plot twist at the end really surprised me for a moment. I have my opinions of that but I'll wait to see the result.
CurseLord Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 05:53:29
I think I remember reading a sentence in which Cale had a vision of Mask stabbing Cyric(my memory is fuzzy on that), but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it in this book. Does anyone know of the page?

And if so, what do you make of that?
SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 15:12:08
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
Excellent scene with Riven and the wounded dog... fits nicely with the previous book and shows a soft side to Riven

Agreed, he's a character with depths. Such a character is always a joy to read about.
Lord Rad Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 09:45:28
Wow!!
I was slightly worried about this novel and where it would lead. Dont get me wrong, I think Paul Kemps writing is amazing, and I love Cale and all that was written in Twilight Falling...but im not a huge fan of the planes so was concerned that Dawn of Night would be based in the Plane of Shadow too much. However, the scenes on the plane were fantastic, very atmospheric and eerie. The way Skullport is depicted is the best ive read yet, I got the true flavor of the place.

The book ranks up there with the best of 'em, IMO. 9/10

Excellent scene with Riven and the wounded dog... fits nicely with the previous book and shows a soft side to Riven
VEDSICA Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 22:57:02
Possible spoiler......

If I recall DDH.Avner became the Seraph of Death during the trial of Cyric when he accused Mystra and Kelemvor of being lax in their duties.Kelemvor bade Avner to witness(damn forgot the number now)a certain amount of deaths,and report back to him what he witnessed.Now this is in short form.Avner was doomed to be Faithless,but in the Twilight Giants trilogy.Avner,unbeknowst to him made offerings to Mask.When it came time for Avners judgement.Avner argued that he belonged to Torm,but Mask appeared,and proved that Avner belonged to him.To the dismay of Mystra and Torm.Kelemvor released Avner to Mask,and now we have a fourth Choasen of Mask...I might be wrong on some things,but I think I am close.
DDH_101 Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 18:05:46
Would he be able to? I mean, Erevis Cale is badly injured and I don't think he has the strength to concentrate on shadowalking...
Monsoon28 Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 17:43:53
quote:
Also, at the end of the second book Erevis Cale didn't teleport them away. It ended with them still at Skullport jumping off the tower with a couple of Skulls blasting at them with spells.

I agree with your assessment that he didn't teleport, but I do believe he shadow walked, using the shadows that would be found along side the tower, probably taking them closer back to skullport.
DDH_101 Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 00:39:38
VEDSICA, is he the one that becomes the Seraph of Thieves after rescuing Mystra?

Hmmm... so is he dead or not?
VEDSICA Posted - 20 Jun 2004 : 23:28:04
Ignorance Personified.The Fourth of Mask was stated to be Avner of Hartsvale.If you've read the fourth and fifth books of The Avatar Series then you would have read about him.Also he is in the Twilight Giants trilogy as well.I also ponder who is the fifth.
Feiht Posted - 20 Jun 2004 : 22:44:42
I also agree that Riven's actions at the end is a ploy. Remember that throughout the books, he lectures Cale numerously on leaving people alive after an altercation, you fight to kill. yet, he would go against his own word and NOT kill Cale? Only if it was a ploy, at least thats how I see it.

As for Skullport, I think the reader, along with Cale is meant to keep guessing what happened to it. remembret owards the end as Cale figures out what is happening, he keeps referring back to what will happen to Varra, the girl he met in Skyllport, if the slaadi were able to follow through with their deed. And the Sojourner even hints at the possibility that the Skulls could save the city. I would wager that Skullport survived and that at the end of book 3, Cale will end up with Varra and not Tazi.

Also, I'd really like to get to know more about Riven. What really happened to him the first time around when he was in Skullport, as this gets alluded to a couple of times? And also, what is this thing he has for protecting dogs and why?
Tethtoril Posted - 19 Jun 2004 : 06:59:59
quote:
Rushed reading often leads to things like that and that is what happens when I begin one book before finishing another, in this case it was The Song of... *sees moderator* I mean Elminister's Daughter.

Bwahahaha! Flee before me ... Tethtoril's gonna get you and your little dustbunnies too!! *pulls out a feather duster*

*cough* Not sure what came over me, must be getting close to Highharvestide. Ignore the man running behind the floating dustballs and continue with the wonderful discussion.
Ignorance Personified Posted - 19 Jun 2004 : 06:13:42
DDH, thanks for the clarification on DnD rules, I assumed(incorrectly as usual) that his healing would only function in the dark (part of his innate Shade abilities) and that it has different boundries than "The Art."

But, you should not have clarified the ending (in that case ingnorance was bliss). Rushed reading often leads to things like that and that is what happens when I begin one book before finishing another, in this case it was The Song of... *sees moderator* I mean Elminister's Daughter.
Sarta Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 17:18:37
Yup, about as classic as it gets in terms of "cliff-hanger" endings.

Sarta
DDH_101 Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 16:52:08
Ignorance Personified, to answer your question about Cale's wounds in the sunlight, I say they would not appear under the sun. The wounds are healed like any regenerative powers are supposed to work. The only reason the hand didn't come back because as we all know, minor healing spells or powers can't restore lost limbs. You have to cast specific spells for those.

Also, at the end of the second book Erevis Cale didn't teleport them away. It ended with them still at Skullport jumping off the tower with a couple of Skulls blasting at them with spells.
SiriusBlack Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 13:32:09
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified
Who are the Third the Fourth and The Fifth of Mask---Does anyone think the women Cale met in Skullport(he escourted her home and I cannot remember her name) could become one of Mask's Chosen.

That's actually the first thought that went through my mind when Cale encountered her. I'm very curious to learn more about her and what she said to Cale when they parted.

quote:

And most importantly:
What will Tazi think?

What will she think about her friend being a shade now?
Ignorance Personified Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 06:23:27
To begin, "Dawn of Night" was an exceptionally entertaining read. Like any great second volume it left me with many more questions than answers---
Did Riven really betray Cale(already discussed within)? I also do not believe that Riven has trully turned against Cale, otherwise(as noted previously) he would have killed him (stating that if he drew steel the opposing individual(s) would be dead in the dirt)?

Where did Cale teleport the characters to and if it is on the surface will the wounds he recieved at Riven's hands be present(similar to the way his hand reacts toward sunlight)?

Who is the Sojourner(also previosly discussed)?--I do not think it is Kesson Rel: Kemp does explain "what" the Sojourner is during his WotC interview on the official site and that makes it seem highly unlikely.

Who are the Third the Fourth and The Fifth of Mask---Does anyone think the women Cale met in Skullport(he escourted her home and I cannot remember her name) could become one of Mask's Chosen.

And most importantly:
What will Tazi think?--Erevis and Szass Tamm, a Shade and a Lich fighting over a living human woman--how ironic. If you haven't read "The Crimson Gold" then you are probably lost on this one, so go read it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000