Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Bookmarks . . .

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lady Kazandra Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 04:41:27
I know this is a rather inane question, but it's something I've thought about from time to time. And, I'm insanely curious, so you can't really fault me for that...? (BTW, that was not the question I was going to ask )

Anyway, whether your reading FR novels, or textbooks, or novels not associated with TSR/WotC in any way... What do you use as a bookmark? For myself, I use whatever is handy at the time I start a novel. Scraps of paper, envelopes, tissues... Nearly everything that is flat and thin has been used at one time or another as a bookmark. The Sage uses (among other things) doubles of MTG cards. They're simple, handy, and hold their places in the novel quite well regardless of whether the book is tilted, dropped, or whatever.

So, let's hear from you...
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VEDSICA Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 03:45:48
I've had the same bookmark for like four years now.It's something to behold,but I've grown fond of it,and will not get rid of it.It's an old paper bookmark from Borders bookstore.
Sarelle Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 00:38:01
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

So, tell me more about these things you call "bookmarks"?

heh, just kidding, but honestly, I don't use them.

I read the average gaming novel in about 4 hours. I don't like putting books down, so I don't -- I find a block of time to read them and do so. Now with big stuff like George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones" books, those take two days.

When and if I do stop reading a book for any particular reason, I just memorize the page number.

Sarta

Glad to hear someone else doesn't go around sticking big wads of paper/leather/card/MONEY in their precious tomes... barbarians!!!

Seriously - I also never use bookmarks. I'd like to, but I don't. I don't even memorise page numbers unless I go back to the book within the next hour or so. I just find the area of the book I was reading, and track down the text. Admittedly this is a bad system - but it works for me!
Sarta Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 19:19:05
So, tell me more about these things you call "bookmarks"?

heh, just kidding, but honestly, I don't use them.

I read the average gaming novel in about 4 hours. I don't like putting books down, so I don't -- I find a block of time to read them and do so. Now with big stuff like George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones" books, those take two days.

When and if I do stop reading a book for any particular reason, I just memorize the page number.

Sarta
Feiht Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 18:27:31
I use an empty penny roll that I've taped up to make it more sturdy and because it was starting to come apart. I could use a new penny roll, but I think about all the books this bookmark has been through and read along with me and don't think it would be fair to just toss it for a newer, more shiny penny roll.
Faraer Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 17:31:04
Newspaper cuttings, pencils, other books, fliers, curtains, useless freebie CDs, knives, the paper I'm taking notes on, bottle caps, bank statements, and bookmarks. But never gold leaf, slices of processed cheese, living creatures or parts of my body, or dough.
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 17:15:09
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified

Most of the time I use the receipt for the book.

I usually do the same, and it, too, was a habit I picked up in college. I've also used my STC (Society for Technical Communications) membership card and MTG cards (usually lands).
Ignorance Personified Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 17:04:27
Most of the time I use the receipt for the book. Unfortunately, I live in a dorm so when I lose the reciept I have to use whatever is available.

1. Promotional Coupons
2. Pointless promotional strips that read: "50 cent wants you in da club of *Insert Club Name Here*."
3. Empty Instant Grits packets
and under dire circumstances
4. Class Notes--->there worthless anyway.

Sirius, since you have all those $50 bills lying around, you should donate to the Help Ignorance Purchase a Bookmark Foundation.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 16:17:53
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well...

I am an otaku (in the American sense of the word, not the Japanese sense).

Teehee. Glad to see that you know that, in Japanese, "otaku" would be something of an insult.

Oh yes! That was one of the first things I learned when I got into anime.

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra
It's probably a little of both. I've been told I'm more than a little strange many times.

I hope you replied by telling the accuser that you are just fine, it's the rest of the world that's strange.

I use that line all the time!

Let us not forget the famous immortal words of the Tick: "You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 15:08:12
quote:

Hehe . . .

Just as a matter of fact, I was never banned. I simply deleted my account in protest over the WotC decision to close the Novel forums.

I never knew that. A protestor? How bold. But, still, you left of your own accord. You weren't kicked out like others.
SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 15:06:47
quote:
It's probably a little of both. I've been told I'm more than a little strange many times.

I hope you replied by telling the accuser that you are just fine, it's the rest of the world that's strange.

quote:

As for the security issue, well, I feel more secure and confident about expressing my opinions here, than over on the WotC Message Boards . . .

Shudder. I can understand that feeling. I take it the atmosphere on the Eberron boards is the same as it was on the FR boards?
Thelonius Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 12:43:13
I usually use two bookmarks, and egiptian papir with mi zodiac sign or a Magic The Gathering card called Kaysa, mi favourite one.

Mash and Angel, Sirius? Two of mi favourites series too....
Bookwyrm Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 11:19:26
I normally use things that are handy. I often misplace things I stick in the books -- likely I forget and leave them in there, and never notice until I pick that book up again. One of these days I'll have to upend my collection or something. Unless it's a good book, I'll likely go an average of two years before reading it again . . . my memory for books is pretty good, at least compared to other instances.

However, the longest-running type I've used is from a Nova game called True Science. The most important part of it is the large number of playing-deck-sized cards inside, with six categories: Earth, Life, Physics, Random Access, Society, and Technology. My father's cousin sent it to me for Christmas a few years back. He knew I was heavily interested in science, and so figured I'd love the game. He was right.

Unfortunately, he forgot to send someone to play it with me. By the time my sister was old enough to play it, she didn't want to do anything with me. My brother accused me of memorizing the cards. My parents simply couldn't keep up, and the only reason they tried it in the first place was because they'd felt sorry for me.

So those cards have gotten their biggest use as bookmarks. Useful, but depressing if I think about it. Poor little lonely science geek, growing up all alone.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 10:19:39
Hehe . . .

Just as a matter of fact, I was never banned. I simply deleted my account in protest over the WotC decision to close the Novel forums.
Arivia Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 10:14:00
quote:

quote:
A very interesting thread. You think it's insane, but you still post it....hmmm, definitely don't care how you are viewed or feel secure in this environment. Interesting...

As for the security issue, well, I feel more secure and confident about expressing my opinions here, than over on the WotC Message Boards . . .

IT HAS TO DO WITH NOVELS! BAN HER! NOW!

quote:
Average poster over there
Bookmarks are not official sources in my FR game.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 09:58:27
quote:
A very interesting thread. You think it's insane, but you still post it....hmmm, definitely don't care how you are viewed or feel secure in this environment. Interesting...

Arivia Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 09:27:24
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Slips of paper?! how disrespectful for tomes of FR!

I always use the same bookmark for novels - its a narrow folded card with the grim reaper on one side, both cards have a magnet to the card slots over the page and the two magnets hold it in place. Its getting a bit dog-eared now though....I have a nice metal celtic one somewhere too that I may have to use.

Hey, at least it's better than sticks and fifty-dollar bills!
Lord Rad Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 09:23:25
Slips of paper?! how disrespectful for tomes of FR!

I always use the same bookmark for novels - its a narrow folded card with the grim reaper on one side, both cards have a magnet to the card slots over the page and the two magnets hold it in place. Its getting a bit dog-eared now though....I have a nice metal celtic one somewhere too that I may have to use.
Winterfox Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 08:50:29
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well...

I am an otaku (in the American sense of the word, not the Japanese sense).

Teehee. Glad to see that you know that, in Japanese, "otaku" would be something of an insult.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 06:40:24
Well...

I am an otaku (in the American sense of the word, not the Japanese sense). So I collect a lot of anime-related stuff. Anime, manga, figures, card sets, pencil boards, wall scrolls, CDs, decks of cards... And what's called lami, or idol cards.

Most lami are laminated cards, about 2.5 inches by 3.75 inches. One side usually has a full-color image from some anime. The other side may have a close-up of a character, a blurb about the show, or be blank...

I've collected a great many of these things, because I like the artwork. The first time I got a double, quite by accident, I decided to use the extra one as a bookmark. Since then, I've acquired a nice stack of lami specifically to use as bookmarks.

When I'm reading a series, I generally try to keep all my bookmarks from the same anime series. I recently read all three Liriel books, and used Fushigi Yûgi lami for the bookmarks. Then I read the Shandril Shessair books, and used lami of Belldandy from Oh! My Goddess! Right now, I'm using a lami of Peorth, also from Oh! My Goddess!, as a bookmark in Elminster's Daughter.

The ones from Love Hina are prolly my fave of the bunch.

For magazines and sourcebooks, I use the mini-pencil board that came with the DVD of Ah! My Goddess! The Movie.

And for manga, I use something I snagged from my first job, Pizza Hut. It was an insert for the big light-up menu inside the store. Many of these inserts were tossed out, and I for some reason decided to grab the one that says 2nd Pizza 1/2 Price. I only use that one for manga.
Arivia Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 06:15:47
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
Right.

Your address is 1 Naglafh, R'lyeh, right?

Well, that's a tamer response than what I thought I'd get. I can email you the address. Does that sound good? Considering you are one of my northern neighbors, I'm sure it will get here real fast after going through two postal systems. Can you ship it out right away? I promise I'll use it as a bookmark.

Us peaceful Canadians...

Maybe, Maybe, Okay.
SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 06:13:35
quote:
Right.

Well, that's a tamer response than what I thought I'd get. I can email you the address. Does that sound good? Considering you are one of my northern neighbors, I'm sure it will get here real fast after going through two postal systems. Can you ship it out right away? I promise I'll use it as a bookmark.
Arivia Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 06:06:53
quote:

quote:
Now, with my forgetful nature, I often find things when looking through books, things I thought I'd lost-For example, I found a fifty-dollar bill in my FRCS earlier today(). What was weird, was that I know I lost this bill a year ago-yet I frequently reference that page...

If you find any more fifty-dollar bills in your books, those are mine. I must have messed up and forgot that I left them there. I appreciate you mailing back to me as soon as you can.

Right.

SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 05:58:27
quote:
Now, with my forgetful nature, I often find things when looking through books, things I thought I'd lost-For example, I found a fifty-dollar bill in my FRCS earlier today(). What was weird, was that I know I lost this bill a year ago-yet I frequently reference that page...

If you find any more fifty-dollar bills in your books, those are mine. I must have messed up and forgot that I left them there. I appreciate you mailing back to me as soon as you can.
SiriusBlack Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 05:53:11
quote:
Anyway, whether your reading FR novels, or textbooks, or novels not associated with TSR/WotC in any way... What do you use as a bookmark?

Who needs a bookmark?! Just dog ear the page and go from there. Simple and no problem.

Yeah right! I have someone who slipped and did that to one of my FR novels once. Once.

quote:

For myself, I use whatever is handy at the time I start a novel. Scraps of paper, envelopes, tissues... Nearly everything that is flat and thin has been used at one time or another as a bookmark.

Okay, this may sound strange. Yeah, I know, coming from me, go figure. But, I use the little insert cards that come from DVD boxed sets. When you buy a series box set like 24, Mash, or Angel, they have little cards that promote the series' next boxed set release. I use those as my bookmarks.

Yes, I know that's not strange. But, the fact that I have an order to the system is maybe the strange part. If it's a book from a quality series, or one that I expect to be really good, one of the 24 cards is used. If I'm uncertain or a new series, it's a Mash card. If it's a gaming product these days, they definitely get an Angel card.

quote:

So, let's hear from you...

Winterfox Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 05:49:42
Scraps of paper, torn from the nearest notebook/used paper. I rarely have a "proper" bookmark lying around. (This applies for all the books I read, not just WotC/TSR products.)
Arivia Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 05:36:07
I've used various objects-here are a few of the odder ones:
1.My copy of Tome and Blood(the book in question was really huge)
2.Sticks
3.Money

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000