Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 When your skills become history

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 01:14:50

Ive got some what of an odd scenario for you

Lets say you have a person from Faeruns past maybe there from Netheril, Jhaamdath, Narfell etc

For arguement sake we'll call him Bob

The year is -626DR the Place Netheril

Bobs a 4th level Character he has following Ranks in the following class skills

7 Ranks of knowledge Local: Netheril
7 Ranks of Knowledge Nobility and Royalty

Bob gets in a fight with an evil wizard who either kills or Casts Imprisonment on Bob.

Jump forward to the year 1374

An adventuring party finds Bobs remains or accidently frees him when they cast Freedom.

Bobs is now free but its been 2000 years since his death whats happans to his ranks in the Knowledge skills?

Netheril is gone and its people are dead in effect they have become a part of history

One solution I can see to this would be to role those 14 ranks into the Knowledge history skill or give Bob a +14 Miscellanous modifier when dealing with history checks related to Netheril

The first option would break the You may not have more ranks in a skill than 3+ your class level.

Comments?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SirUrza Posted - 22 Mar 2005 : 21:14:46
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

7 Ranks of knowledge Local: Netheril
7 Ranks of Knowledge Nobility and Royalty

Bobs is now free but its been 2000 years since his death whats happans to his ranks in the Knowledge skills?

This is simple, you don't need to redistribute the points.

Knowledge Nobility and Royalty becomes simply becomes Knowledge: History. If the character already has Knowledge History, then you just add those 7 points to it, BECAUSE everything the character knows is history "now."

Knowledge Local: Netheril remains the same. Netheril may not exist anymore, but that doesn't stop the character from knowing about Netheril.

khorne Posted - 22 Mar 2005 : 20:19:30
quote:

Dragons a Dragon can live to be 2000 years old (which doesnt include Dracolichs)

As far as I know the shortest lived dragon is the white dragon with approximately 2100 years, which means that a red or a gold dragon would know even more.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Mar 2005 : 22:46:58
quote:
Originally posted by Draighox

Bob is mortal, isn't he? Does the Imprisonment spell prolong victim's life? Shouldn't Bob be dead after all this time?

Besides, even if he hadn't been the victim of an imprisonment spell, there's still a possibility he could still be around. Ed has flat out stated that a few Netherese are still around, in some form or another.
Dargoth Posted - 21 Mar 2005 : 12:01:33
quote:
Originally posted by Draighox

Bob is mortal, isn't he? Does the Imprisonment spell prolong victim's life? Shouldn't Bob be dead after all this time?

Bobs in a State of Suspended animation and therefore doesnt age, See the Imprisonment and the temporal Stasis spells on Phb
Draighox Posted - 21 Mar 2005 : 11:37:54

seankreynolds Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 20:58:10
I'd just treat him as a special case. Someone asks about ancient Netheril, he can use his skill as if Netheril were still around today. No need to swap ranks, just treat Netheril as a region that most people can't have knowledge of without taking Kn (hist).

Someone asks a general question about nobility and royalty ("Do you think the king would get mad if I spit on him?") I'd let him use his skill. Someone asks a question about a modern noble or royal ("Does that kid look like Azoun to you?") I'd treat him as having no ranks in the skill.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 15:50:47
It only makes sense... If you live long enough, then modern knowledge becomes ancient knowledge...

I mean, heck, look at your own parents and grandparents. For most of us (except Big Al, of course! ), things that happened in WWII or in the Sixties is history -- we weren't around then. But our parents and grandparents lived thru these times. When they were in the Sixties, they knew what was going on -- Knowledge Local. Now that time is passed, and the knowledge is no longer modern. So it becomes Knowledge History.

It's a reasonable progression of skills, and it's not like taking Tracking and suddenly flipping it to Tumbling. It's a straightforward transition -- so much so that I'm kinda surprised the game designers didn't think of it, in regards to the longer-lived races.
Dargoth Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 07:10:37
I can actually think of quite a few people who would suffer tis problem

Qysar shoon VII

Larloch and the other Netherese Lich that lives with him

Those Netherese that are still around such as Lord Shadow and those others that Ed said still exist

Elminster, the realm he used to live in no longer exists

Dragons a Dragon can live to be 2000 years old (which doesnt include Dracolichs)

Most of the Elven races live around a 1000 years to
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 06:19:47
I concur. Sure, the rules don't cover it, but it's common sense. When Bob the Arcanist learned this stuff, it was all modern. Now a bunch of years have passed and he's back in action, his knowledge is now of the ancient stuff. It only makes sense that his skills would change to reflect what's happened to him.

The reason something like this isn't in the rules is either because it wasn't anticipated, or because it wasn't thought of as something that would occur oft enough to need to be covered in the rulebook. When your ideas go beyond the rules, you've got to wing it.
Dargoth Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 03:55:10
At the risk at trying to apply D&D mechanics in the real world.

If today someone asks me who the President of the United States is then it would be a Knowledge "Nobility and Royalty" check

If today someone asked me who was the First President of the United States then it would be a Knowledge History check
Kentinal Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 03:43:18
Well the basic rules prevents exchange of skill points.
The best certainly would be changing to history the local knowledge. As for Nobelity that skill could still be treated more along line of protocol. The names does not matter as much as how rank works and rank works much the same way just the names and titles change.

There again I would not have allowed such a thing like "Ranks of Knowledge Nobility and Royalty" as a specfic Knowledge skill that only knew the names, now long dead. The knowledge would always be changing. At best transplanted the would be a lag on catching up on local news, a temporay skill check adjustment because of circumstance.
Dargoth Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 01:31:15
Its for the Jhaamdath article Im working on.

It will include a location of an Imprisoned Bladelord of Jhaamdath
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 01:30:04
quote:

One solution I can see to this would be to role those 14 ranks into the Knowledge history skill or give Bob a +14 Miscellanous modifier when dealing with history checks related to Netheril

Works for me.
Melfius Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 01:29:45
In all honesty, nothing would change. He would still maintain the 7 ranks in both skills, but would not be able to gain any more. If he continued to study these (in a library or something), he would gain points in Ancient History.

Now, you're probably asking why they would not stack or combine somehow. Well, as we all know, History is written by the victors. Also, if the book came from that time period, it would be colored by the author's perceptions (as opposed to what he would have experienced on his own). Or, if it was written by someone since then, the author would have to rely on other, second-hand sources. So basically there's no guarantee that what new info he gleans will be the same as what he experienced.

I guess what all that means is: There is no substitute for first-hand experience.
SiriusBlack Posted - 20 Mar 2005 : 01:24:26
quote:

The first option would break the You may not have more ranks in a skill than 3+ your class level.

Comments?

I think when you have an extraordinary Camptain America like situation like this, you as a DM should feel free and comfortable to find any logical solutions even if they break certain standard rules.

But, I've always been more into the flow of the game than slavish devotion to rules.

This from a current game? Something you are planning in the future?

SB

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000