Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Eytan Bernstein, part 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

122 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2024 :  19:18:13  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see, thanks! However, all those other examples you mention, save for the one you wrote in Class Chronicles, are the Sandstorm sand dragon (later brown), while the one you did was a brown dragon (or sand).

Their names are too close, I was wondering if they were meant to be the same critter, being replaced, or if they were just named carelessly. I'll keep searching - thanks for the tip on Class Chronicles, I can't believe I missed it!
Go to Top of Page

Eytan C Bernstein
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2024 :  13:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Eytan C Bernstein's Homepage Send Eytan C Bernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some info that probably only makes this more complicated: https://www.enworld.org/threads/all-the-different-dragon-species-of-the-same-name.349656/

I am available for freelance writing, editing, development, and sensitivity review.

https://www.eytanbernstein.com

Edited by - Eytan C Bernstein on 04 Jun 2024 09:41:37
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

122 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2024 :  20:50:06  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They seem to agree that sand and brown are two different sorts of dragons, for what it's worth, so I'm not insane. Now whether I'm right, that's a different matter! Best keep looking...

EDIT: Best I keep looking, I mean, not that you keep looking. See ya, and thanks!

Edited by - Italian Archmage Karsus on 04 Jun 2024 20:24:51
Go to Top of Page

Eytan C Bernstein
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2024 :  10:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Eytan C Bernstein's Homepage Send Eytan C Bernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Archmage Karsus

They seem to agree that sand and brown are two different sorts of dragons, for what it's worth, so I'm not insane. Now whether I'm right, that's a different matter! Best keep looking...

EDIT: Best I keep looking, I mean, not that you keep looking. See ya, and thanks!

Are you working on something with brown dragons in it? Or just personal interest?

I am available for freelance writing, editing, development, and sensitivity review.

Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

122 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2024 :  13:19:23  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's just I'm a volunteer at the wiki, and it leads me to some oddly pedantic rabbit holes sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Eytan C Bernstein
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2024 :  05:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Eytan C Bernstein's Homepage Send Eytan C Bernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's just I'm a volunteer at the wiki, and it leads me to some oddly pedantic rabbit holes sometimes.

I don't think it's pedantic. If folks don't research, clarify, and record these things, they'll be lost. This setting means a lot to a lot of people, so the details matter.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11734 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2024 :  18:01:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just noting, this discussion made me look more closely at the sand dragon in Sandstorm and the brown dragon in old empires, 3e Monsters of Faerun, and FR adventure in Dungeon #40 Khamsa's folly. I'll note that thematically the two look immensely different.

The brown dragon is noted as having no wings and not able to fly. Its picture is pretty sleek looking, almost like it would "swim" through the sand. They're incredibly silent and spit acid. I take the 2e picture to be more canon, even though the 3e picture is "newer"... and that's entirely because the 3e picture shows stubby wings and BOTH editions descriptions say "no wings". In many ways this brown dragon reminds me more of a lung dragon in appearance, with how its spines down its back look, etc..

The sand dragon has "wings" along the length of their body, but their function is more for "shovelling" bits of sand on top of their bodies like a manta ray on the sea floor. In some ways they'd resemble stubby gold dragon wings, except that they go all the way up their necks to just below the head. They can fly, unlike the brown dragon, and their faces look like a mass of horns. Their breath weapon is "grit", so even that is different. Where the brown dragon reminds me of a lung dragon, these remind me of a gem dragon except for lack of psionics (which might be a good change in newer editions).

This makes me think that over in Anchorome I'd like to introduce the sand dragons as well. The place is full of deserts, so having blue, brown, and sand all competing makes for an interesting thing in my book. In this I'd probably stay away from having any metallics (i.e. Brass) that are normally found in deserts. In doing this, it opens options to treat these creatures kind of different... brown dragons may be viewed like duplicitous snakes (they are NE), whereas sand dragons may be more anti-social loners that consider humanoids like we view bugs with some ties to nature (they are CN), and blue dragons take a different evil role since they are more sky bound.

With this idea in mind, I could see the sand dragons maybe as "in tune" with the "great spirit of the desert" known as Ma'We "the Salt Woman" (source City of gold... all we know of here is that she's Ma'We "Salt Woman"). Maybe even we can lay creation of these dragons IN TORIL on this spirit, possibly as a corruption of some other kind of dragon. It could be fun to develop a story around this.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000