Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Roleplaying the Zhentarim
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  20:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm planning on starting a new campaign in which the players work for the Zhentarim, can anyone give me any information about them?

I already have basic information on them: they are a semi-secret evil society, they worship Iyachtu Xvim,some of them still worship Bane, they are based in Zhentail keep, they have agents throughout Faerun and they are opposed by the Harpers.

If anyone could give me information on their goals and plans, the worship of Bane/Iyachtu Xvim, why they may need adventurers (and if why Iyachtu Xvim is the "son of Bane" his priests pillaged his father's shrines) then I would greatly appreciate it.

If you have been involved in games in which the players worked for/ opposed the Zhentarim then I would be interested to hear about how they were used.

'The sinews of war, unlimited money'
- Cicero

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  02:36:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Zhentarim were originally an organisation of merchants interested only in the domination of trade routes throughout northern Faerun. However the focus on trade has now shifted (although it still retains some importance). The Zhentarim presently (after expansion) consider murder, espionage, extortion, arson and total warfare to be their prime focus.

It has been said that the Zhentarim as a military and political body hold as much force and power as a small country. They seek to place all rival cities and countries under their 'domination'. Though they control much of the Moonsea area, the Zhentarim would like to see an Zhentarim sphere of occupation that stretches from Zhentil Keep all the way to the Sword Coast, including everything in between.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  02:37:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To see this desire become a reality, the Zhentarim make use of a variety of tactics most of which carry little honour. The Zhentarim's links to merhants and trade guilds is extensive in their own and neighbouring lands. This allows them to move 'sensitive' cargo and trade quietly without notice by lawful powers. These links also allow the Zhentarim to transport their more contemporary goods quickly and without harassment. Sometimes these transports deliver their cargo much more quickly than their competitors, undermining the other local trading concerns in the area.

The Zhentarim sometimes resort to raids on particular caravans, which they use to achieve their goals of seeing opposing rival merchants or competitors forced into poverty. Sometimes those same attacked caravans later arrive at their intended destination only they carry the Zhentarim banner instead of the original trading coster.

The Black Network also use extortion, arson and murder to eradicate rivals, merchants guilds and competitors in areas they wish to dominate. This makes the area and the surrounding lands dependent upon the Zhentarim for trade.

They also make use of the large number of spellcaster in their midst to agitate local monster populations around particular cities. When the monsters attack, the Zhentarim arrive driving the creatures off, appearing helpful. Although once the Zhentarim set up base ccamp in the city or town, it becomes nearly impossible to move them out.

There is more, however I would suggest you consult the 3e tome Lords of Darkness for more details. Also the 2e campaign expansion Ruins of Zhentil Keep is another great resource for information on the Zhentarim and their operations.

I am now short of time and cannot post anything more.

Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  22:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. I don't play 3rd edition, though, and most of the 2nd edition books are out of print

- Cicero
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  02:57:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over the next two days I will try and email to you a summary of all the information you have asked for. I will utilise the material from both tomes that I mentioned above.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Jul 2003 02:58:30
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  08:04:40  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vallandar

Thanks for the information. I don't play 3rd edition, though, and most of the 2nd edition books are out of print

I you really need one book, I could buy it for you and send it to you (then you pay back of course). In France, most of the book that are out of order in USA are still for sell... in english. As you wish.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  04:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little input on my part, one particularly important fact in recent Zhentarim history would be that Bane is back. Whether or not this is significanyt for your campaign, I think it's worth mentioning. How or why Bane returned is not a very well known fact (infact there has been some call for making this plot into a book or something of that sort), but in returning Xvim was destroyed or absorbed or something, and Bane is now once again the Greater Deity of Tyrants.

In general the Zhentarim are heavily connected with the Church of Bane these days, which isn't surprising considering the leader of the Zhentarim is Fzoul Chembryl, who is now the Chosen of Bane (as if we need more chosen, right?). This connection to the Church pof Bane is further evident in the conflict arising between the Banite Zhents and the Cyricist Zhents (holdouts from before Xvim became the deity of choice in Zhentil Keep and for the Zhentarim if I remember correctly) in Darkhold, a Zhent Fortress.

In general the Zhentarim has become much more organized than it has been in the past, assuming a rigid miltaristic heirarchy, like a result of their connection to the Church of Bane.

As far as their mercantile aims, recently they have been branching out into intelligence gathering, various forms of extortion and manipulation, assassination, and war, thus changing into a semi-political organization with far reaching influence and a great deal of power. Though still highly concerned with controlling trade, the Zhents seems to have followed the long favored rule of investment: diversify.

One of the most important changes, in my opinion, is that the Zhents are no longer the inept bad-guys they used to be. By and large this reflects the general trend from Wizards (or whoever writes this stuff) or smarter, more dangerous bad guys. For dime a dozen bad guys see the Red Wizards of Thay (offices in Thay, Unther, Sembia, and Three of the Nine Hells) or your local Thay-mart. I am sure I could speak further on this topic, but the Chinese food is here.

(Information on "The Zhentarim and Zhentil Keep" from Lords of Darkness. Information on "The Return of Bane" from The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and the Wizards COMmunity Boards. Information on Thay courtesy of the Thayvan Better Business Bureau.)

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 19 Jul 2003 04:24:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  05:55:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is this 'Thayvan Better Business Bureau' located exactly?. Is it a website resource or something entirely fictional?.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  16:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a joke. It was based off something that was said during a gaming session shortly after Unapproachable East came out.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  17:16:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh...it's a joke. Okay, I get jokes .

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  19:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<speaks incredibly slowly> Sure...you get jokes...

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  20:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, but I live in the UK not the USA, but… Bane’s back and no told me? Throws holy symbol of Cyric to the ground and replaces it with Banite one.

Thanks, zemd, could you recomend any web addresses to order 2nd edtion books from?

- Cicero
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little more on the divine tyrant Bane:
quote:
Originally from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting:

"...Bane was a blight on the world until slain by Torm during the Time of Troubles. However, Bane has returned, erupting from the sentient seed that was Iyachtu Xvim, his own half-demon son, and retaken his old porfolio, stealing from Cyric that which was once his. Acquiring fear as part of his portfolio, he has risen to the level of a greater deity."
As a result of his return the followers of Xvim converted to his worship and many Cyricists (many of whom likely once worshipped him before the Time of Troubles) coverted to the Church of Bane. I bet this all galls Cyric to no end.... In general his Church, like the Zhentarim, is much, much more organized, lacking much of the hallmark backstabbing present prior to the Time of Troubles. Not unexpectedly, Zhentil Keep is once again the headquarters for the Church of Bane, which is run (like the Zhents) by his High Priest and Chosen, Fzoul Chembryl. This obviously further indicates how close the Zhentarim and the Church of Bane have become, to where the Zhentarim is like "...a secular arm of the church of Bane..." (Lords of Darkness). In general I would say it is fair to assume that if you anger one organization, the other will be irritated too. Also, right now on the major enemies of Bane's Church (and therefore of the Zhentarim) is the Church of Cyric. This is evident in the rising conflicts (as I mentioned before) between the Banites and Cyricists in Darkhold, a Zhentish Fortress.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 19 Jul 2003 22:15:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  03:18:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the existing hostilities between the two churches and their devotees will escalate to the point of open and continuous war. I mean this would be an exciting element to explore either in source material or a novel. I just hope this is not something that WotC will leave sitting on the sidelines of the campaign setting, so that nothing ever becomes of it. It has been one of the several connecting themes between 2e and 3e FR, and it is also a theme which needs more attention.

Plus Sememmon has been quiet (and with good reason) lately, but I would still like to see something develop with him as well.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  08:15:05  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, zemd, could you recomend any web addresses to order 2nd edtion books from?

You should try non english sites. In France we have a lot of copies of long forgotten english books (at my great pleasure!). www.amazon.fr , www.ebay.fr they are the biggest. But i could buy to you and send it, no pb.
Go to Top of Page

PathWarden
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Visit PathWarden's Homepage Send PathWarden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I wonder if the existing hostilities between the two churches and their devotees will escalate to the point of open and continuous war. I mean this would be an exciting element to explore either in source material or a novel. I just hope this is not something that WotC will leave sitting on the sidelines of the campaign setting, so that nothing ever becomes of it. It has been one of the several connecting themes between 2e and 3e FR, and it is also a theme which needs more attention.

Plus Sememmon has been quiet (and with good reason) lately, but I would still like to see something develop with him as well.

I agree Sage. I think that there would be open hostilities between the Cyricists and Banites, to the point of an all out war. Cyric is not the type to allow Bane to strip him of a part of his power, regardless of if it is Bane's rightfully or not. I doubt that Bane will be willing to let slide the fact that Cyric killed him while he walked Toril either.

This has all the makings for some great history, books, adventures, etc. I do hope that WotC is wise enough to tap that potential.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  20:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PathWarden

I agree Sage. I think that there would be open hostilities between the Cyricists and Banites, to the point of an all out war. Cyric is not the type to allow Bane to strip him of a part of his power, regardless of if it is Bane's rightfully or not. I doubt that Bane will be willing to let slide the fact that Cyric killed him while he walked Toril either.

This has all the makings for some great history, books, adventures, etc. I do hope that WotC is wise enough to tap that potential.

Indeed!!!! That would be a story worth reading.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  05:12:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can really understand what other scribes meant now by Bookwyrm and I once having the same avatar....

That material would indeed be worth reading. However since it would have little in the way of nice 'crunchy' bits, I sincerly doubt something like this will ever be published by WotC.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Jul 2003 05:13:30
Go to Top of Page

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  21:16:22  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, zemd, if I need anythnig then I'll let you know.

- Cicero
Go to Top of Page

thefeem
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  06:45:54  Show Profile  Visit thefeem's Homepage Send thefeem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a DM who did a campaign in the Greyhawk setting. It is called the assasins. You could get some ideas from here.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~goran/Archive.htm
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  23:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

quote:

I you really need one book, I could buy it for you and send it to you (then you pay back of course). In France, most of the book that are out of order in USA are still for sell... in english. As you wish.

If you would be that kţnd to contact me about those books that cannot be bought because of inadequate publishing.
Would you make a favor for me as well as Vallandar?
I would be very pleased if you resonded my inquiry.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  02:22:54  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that I think a lot of DM's do is to simply overlook the mercantile origins of the Zhents. Many of their military actions should be designed to further trade goals. They also will be quick to capitalize on trade opportunities.

Ed Bolme does a great job with this in the Alabaster Staff, depicting the Zhents as taking part in the war-profiteering in besieged Unther.

So, even if you don't intend to feature the Zhents in a campaign, but a trade vacuum is created or new trade opportunities pop up, consider how the Zhents may react to this new situation.

With regard to a Zhentilar campaign, one twist you may want to throw on it would be to make it a sea-faring one. The Zhents control a large navy based both in the Moonsea and the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 27 Mar 2004 02:26:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  08:52:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I've used the Zhentarim heavily in my campaigns in the past, I always remember a thought that the character, Arilyn Moonblade, had from Elfshadow..."Any encounter with the Zhentarim should be handled with a sword, not with diplomacy and bargaining"...

It helps to put the usage of the Black Network into focus in my campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  17:52:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Zhent spy detailed in the new Player's Guide. The use of covers, different identities, etc., should prompt a player for some great roleplaying.

Plus, the prestige class could be tweaked to make it a spy for different groups or even a nation.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2004 :  18:35:57  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed - from the Harper Campaign I ran, the players got some info that the Zhents were 'up to something' in Yhaunn - essentially they were trying to target butchers and slaughterhouses by spoiling meat as they had a huge shipment ready to dock in a few days - the PC's spent time trying to figure out why certain butchers had been attacked (they assumed a protection racket/they were Dragoncult businesses/it wasn't the Zhents but the thayvians trying to make it LOOK like zhents etc) and it wasn't until the zhent fleet turned up in the harbour that it became apparent!

The Zhents were a money making machine, with the emergence of Fzouls leadership this emphasis has changed slightly, but it is still there

cheers

Damian

[quote]Originally posted by Sarta

One thing that I think a lot of DM's do is to simply overlook the mercantile origins of the Zhents. Many of their military actions should be designed to further trade goals. They also will be quick to capitalize on trade opportunities.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  03:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trade and Priests. What a lousy combination. They should kick the priests back to their secondary support role, and let us evil genius wizards run the show with the Zhentarim again :)

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000