Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian Cortijo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  19:35:19  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian a sucession question for you.

We have been chatting elsewhere about what would happen if Foril (Azoun IV and Fee's son) wasn't killed by the fire knives when a babe but was kidnapped instead, raised in Westgate/Vilhon Reach oblivious to his parentage until many years later and so he returns to Cormyr just before (say a week or two) Azoun V is to be crowned King at the end of the Steel Regency. Let us assume that the various wishes/communes/blood magic spells/swords of state etc all confirm him to be the true Foril, would he ascend to the Dragon Thrne instead of Azoun?

What would happen if Foril arrived a few days/weeks after Azoun's crowning - do the rules change?

More interested in the protocol of the issue, not the reprecussions of potential civil war etc.

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  00:47:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

<chop>(I had been trying to DM my group through Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave, but the weekly exercise became so tedious that I was, over time, hit with a bad case of DM burnout... and have therefore declared that this Realms campaign was at an end; any takers for my now useless Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anauroc hardcovers? actually, any takers for most of my 3.0/3.5 Realms stuff? any offer will be entertained, and I own most books...)

Since you ask... I'm trying to get my hands on "Sons of Gruumsh" and "The Twilight Tomb". "Expedition to Undermountain" was on my list, but I know what happens in the adventure, and none of it's happening in my Realms. The Realms without Halaster is like the Realms without Mystra: not the Realms. Anyway, no more ranting. Those are about the only two titles I'm looking for Realms-wise; core-rules-wise, I'm looking for "Elder Evils" and the "Rules Compendium"; once I have those four books, I may never buy another D&D title, depending on what I see with 5E. On a related note, if you know anyone who is looking for a deal on the 4E core books, I have a set in mint condition.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  00:50:07  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic (sorry, Garen): I'm interested in Damian's question as well. Certainly food for thought. Hopefully such hypotheticals don't constitute "lineage talk" and hence invoke the mighty and dreaded NDA...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  03:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers
We have been chatting elsewhere about what would happen if Foril (Azoun IV and Fee's son) wasn't killed by the fire knives when a babe but was kidnapped instead, raised in Westgate/Vilhon Reach oblivious to his parentage until many years later and so he returns to Cormyr just before (say a week or two) Azoun V is to be crowned King at the end of the Steel Regency. Let us assume that the various wishes/communes/blood magic spells/swords of state etc all confirm him to be the true Foril, would he ascend to the Dragon Thrne instead of Azoun?

What would happen if Foril arrived a few days/weeks after Azoun's crowning - do the rules change?

More interested in the protocol of the issue, not the reprecussions of potential civil war etc.
Okay, this is going to assume a lot of ifs, but the protocol requires that certain facts be established. I'm answering with the following assumptions:

-The same assassination attempt on Foril as currently appears in canon happened, but successfully convinced all Cormyr that the boy was dead while simultaneously kidnapping the child. [This is because it is entirely implausible for an heir to Cormyr to be kidnapped and not have all Faerūn brought down on the kidnapper's head.]

-Events proceeded pretty much as they did in the novels and sourcebooks (the Cormyr saga, FRCS3E, Dragon Annual 5, etc.)

-Foril returns to Cormyr just before the coronation of Azoun V and asserts his claim to the Dragon Throne. [Once Azoun is crowned, that's absolutely it. You cannot pop up with a 'stronger' claim and unseat a crowned monarch.]

-All reliable magic declares Foril to be the natural son of Azoun IV and Filfaeril, in the same body to which he was born, unmolested and never killed-and-ressurected.

Assuming all these factors are in place, the laws of the regency provide that Azoun V is still king. He was king throughout the entire regency, regardless of who ruled in his name.

Now, if Foril still insisted, and was--as I can only assume from his upbringing--a charming rake more than capable of swaying individual nobles to his cause, a few things might happen, depending on his success:

a) He would rally enough nobles to his side to have him proclaimed heir to the throne, until such time as Azoun V can produce an heir (he is still a blood Obarskyr, but the regency and the will of the people would favor Alusair over him)

b) He could rally enough nobles and commoners to support an abdication of the young Azoun in his favor. Of course, by this time, Foril's pushing 50, so this isn't very likely in real terms, but it is possible.

c) He could gather his supporters and engage in civil war for the Dragon Throne.

For b or c, the success of the endeavors is totally dependent on Alusair's opinion. She is, in the eyes of many, the Queen of Cormyr, regardless of her title; she is formally the Lord Marshal of the Kingdom (and therefore commands all loyal Purple Dragons); and she is more than capable of out-generalling, well, anyone.

No matter what the facts are, the reappearance of a thought-dead Foril is likely to drive Filfaeril entirely insane, as much of her life for 40 to 50 years (depending on the exact date of return) is forged around her inability to protect her infant son from assassination.

To answer the salient question, though: an heir to the throne, thought dead, does not immediately supplant another heir that has been declared heir apparent. Foril was, at the time of his death, the heir presumptive to the Dragon Throne, but his reappearance does not in any way place him first in line for the job.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  03:52:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all. I forwarded Garen's last post (immediately above this one) to Ed, and he read it and responded:

EXACTLY right. Of course.

Dead on.

(So Ed thinks the above absolutely nails it. Ed thinks the civil war option would be the most likely, because of nobles WANTING to go to war - - but they'd end up doing it with a pretender, because Foril would never agree to it.
That's his reading of Foril's character - - but think also of this: in some ways (if, as Garen says, we begin with those assumptions), Foril has been set free from his destiny. "Robbed" of it, perhaps, but also set free from what was otherwise inescapable from birth. He might well welcome that.)
love to all, and especially Garen Thal (Ed is DELIGHTED with your work on the Forest Kingdom, and looking forward to your Golarion gig; first of many, we both hope!),
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  18:36:08  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brian for the very comprehensive answer have posted it over to the original thread.

Thanks Ed for confirming and I too look forward to more work of your Brian.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  18:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all. I forwarded Garen's last post (immediately above this one) to Ed, and he read it and responded:

EXACTLY right. Of course.

Dead on.

(So Ed thinks the above absolutely nails it. Ed thinks the civil war option would be the most likely, because of nobles WANTING to go to war - - but they'd end up doing it with a pretender, because Foril would never agree to it.
That's his reading of Foril's character - - but think also of this: in some ways (if, as Garen says, we begin with those assumptions), Foril has been set free from his destiny. "Robbed" of it, perhaps, but also set free from what was otherwise inescapable from birth. He might well welcome that.)
love to all, and especially Garen Thal (Ed is DELIGHTED with your work on the Forest Kingdom, and looking forward to your Golarion gig; first of many, we both hope!),
THO
As they say in the geekdom: squee!

I appreciate the well-wishes. More material is, indeed, forthcoming from me for Pathfinder. Qadira is 'first' in terms of my full-book, regional stuff, then some mechanical stuff, and another full Pathfinder volume.

So, I'm working.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  01:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I was thinking about the same thing--being ruler of Cormyr obviously has tons of drawbacks as well as benefits, and not everyone would even want the job.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Mar 2009 01:30:38
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  01:59:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question about elves for you, Brian: Regarding the nomenclature of the subraces: What is the elven name for the Mithral Elf/Star Elf subrace? I found this list elsewhere online, and I think it's correct (I don't have my copy of "Elves of Evermeet" handy to check), but the Star Elves are not given an elven name. I'll have another look in Unapproachable East after I post, just in case. Thanks!

Aquatic Elves or Sea Elves (Alu-Tel'Quessir)
Avariel or Winged Elves (Aril-Tel'Quessir)
Dark Elves (Ssri-Tel'Quessir)
Lythari (Ly-Tel'Quessir)
Moon Elves or Silver Elves (Teu-Tel'Quessir)
Star Elves or Mithral Elves
Sun Elves or Gold Elves (Ar-Tel'Quessir)
Wild Elves or Green Elves (Sy-Tel'Quessir)
Wood Elves, Copper Elves, or Sylvan Elves (Or-Tel'Quessir)

Addendum (March 16, 6:22 PM): I found (in something I copied and pasted into Notepad from somewhere online) a contradictory reference naming the Star Elves as the Sy-Tel'Quessir. I'm still searching; I might have the answer buried in my computer somewhere.

Edited by - Jakk on 17 Mar 2009 01:22:58
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  02:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

A question about elves for you, Brian: Regarding the nomenclature of the subraces: What is the elven name for the Mithral Elf/Star Elf subrace? I found this list elsewhere online, and I think it's correct (I don't have my copy of "Elves of Evermeet" handy to check), but the Star Elves are not given an elven name. I'll have another look in Unapproachable East after I post, just in case. Thanks!

Lythari (Ly-Tel'Quessir)

Addendum (March 16, 6:22 PM): I found (in something I copied and pasted into Notepad from somewhere online) a contradictory reference naming the Star Elves as the Sy-Tel'Quessir. I'm still searching; I might have the answer buried in my computer somewhere.
Not the expert on elven terminology, but I've heard a number of different theories. The most palatable for me is Rua-Tel'Quessir.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  17:08:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That works for me, assuming no overrulings on the matter from Ed... I *am* curious (of course) as to the other theories you've heard...

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  03:51:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question about 4E dwarves to throw your way, more out of curiosity for its own sake (since I'm still using basically 3.x rules (and bits and pieces of Pathfinder; yay!) and no Spellplague regardless of the progress of my timeline): What happens to the duergar physically after the Morndinsamman defeat Laduguer and Deep Duerra? Do they retain any distinguishing characteristics, or do they return over generations to a "standard" dwarven appearance? Either way, I'm assuming that the 100-year timejump isn't enough for this to be noticed, given that it's barely two dwarven generations... or did 4E mess with rates of maturation too? I keep my 4E books on the other side of my Magic: The Gathering cards from my other rulebooks, just to avoid any possibility of a matter-antimatter annihilation.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Jul 2009 03:52:18
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  04:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A question about 4E dwarves to throw your way, more out of curiosity for its own sake (since I'm still using basically 3.x rules (and bits and pieces of Pathfinder; yay!) and no Spellplague regardless of the progress of my timeline): What happens to the duergar physically after the Morndinsamman defeat Laduguer and Deep Duerra? Do they retain any distinguishing characteristics, or do they return over generations to a "standard" dwarven appearance? Either way, I'm assuming that the 100-year timejump isn't enough for this to be noticed, given that it's barely two dwarven generations... or did 4E mess with rates of maturation too? I keep my 4E books on the other side of my Magic: The Gathering cards from my other rulebooks, just to avoid any possibility of a matter-antimatter annihilation.
I think it depends on which duergar you're talking about, exactly.

Those that are accepted back into dwarven society would wind up interbreeding with baseline dwarves over generations (contributing duller skin and whiter hair to the breeding stock), but wouldn't undergo any sudden change in physical appearance.

Those that turned back to the worship of fell gods and infernal beings (primarily Asmodeus, Bane, and Hoar) would begin to shift towards an appearance closer to that depicted in the 4E Monster Manual 2.

Most duergar, however, would look pretty much like the duergar you're used to.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  05:41:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was more or less what I was expecting; basically, that there wouldn't be any instantaneous physical changes triggered by the deaths of the duergar deities. Anyway, thanks for satisfying my curiosity and for providing something more (however small) that makes sense in the Brave New Edition. I'm finally getting back in touch with my earlier-edition book collection again this coming week, and hopefully I'll be able to bring a good chunk of it back with me. I miss my older books. <sniff>

Edit: I'm looking forward to seeing what you, Ed, and other writers produce for Golarion in the coming months and years. Before I buy anything beyond the campaign setting hardback (already purchased) and the Pathfinder core rules (pre-ordered), I need to assess the costs of moving my existing gaming library.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Jul 2009 05:45:02
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  07:23:54  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That was more or less what I was expecting; basically, that there wouldn't be any instantaneous physical changes triggered by the deaths of the duergar deities. Anyway, thanks for satisfying my curiosity and for providing something more (however small) that makes sense in the Brave New Edition. I'm finally getting back in touch with my earlier-edition book collection again this coming week, and hopefully I'll be able to bring a good chunk of it back with me. I miss my older books. <sniff>
I feel your pin, particularly about losing access to an older set of physical books.
quote:
Edit: I'm looking forward to seeing what you, Ed, and other writers produce for Golarion in the coming months and years. Before I buy anything beyond the campaign setting hardback (already purchased) and the Pathfinder core rules (pre-ordered), I need to assess the costs of moving my existing gaming library.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others are doing as well. In addition to my work (the latest of which is the 32-page Qadira companion, just out this week), and Ed's, there are FR folks joining the fold and adding a touch Faerūnian to the world of Pathfinder; Steven Schend should have his Westcrown article out fairly soon, Elaine Cunningham has been providing fiction for the Journal, and...

Let's just say that the Paizo folks are well aware of the world-building talents of people that have worked on FR in the past, and bringing them in where appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  05:38:15  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

<chop>
I'm looking forward to seeing what others are doing as well. In addition to my work (the latest of which is the 32-page Qadira companion, just out this week), and Ed's, there are FR folks joining the fold and adding a touch Faerūnian to the world of Pathfinder; Steven Schend should have his Westcrown article out fairly soon, Elaine Cunningham has been providing fiction for the Journal, and...

Let's just say that the Paizo folks are well aware of the world-building talents of people that have worked on FR in the past, and bringing them in where appropriate.

Hmm... sounds very, very interesting...

Anyway, I wasn't able to bring back nearly as many books as I'd wanted to... travelling by Greyhound has its disadvantages... but I *did* retrieve my 1E/2E/3.x Realms world maps, including the four-part Dragon magazine map, and all of my 3.x-era Dragon magazines. That will have to do until I can find someone who is making a weekend trip from Vancouver, Canada to the Central Okanagan with a large vehicle and returning with a lot of empty storage space.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  18:44:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Garen...

I was looking for information on Araumycos after re-reading "Underdark", and all I could find on CK was a five-year-old scroll with no new information. Specifically, I was inspired by the end of the following section:
quote:
On rare occasions, enormous patches of Araumycos die, revealing ancient civilizations ripe for plunder beneath. When this happens, every city of any size in the North—surface or Underdark—sends one or more search parties in to bring back whatever they can. Parties of Shadovars from the Empire of Shade seem particularly interested in what lies below Araumycos, and they have burned away various parts of it with acids since their return, obviously in search of something particular.

I had already asked Bruce Cordell about this on his scroll here some time ago, but it seems he hasn't been around lately. If there's anything that can be said about what the Shades were looking for, I'm very interested. I suspect that my answer is going to be either "NDA" or "in the novel..." (hopefully the latter; I'd rather read than wait for Caina to defrost.)

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  19:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met, Garen...

I was looking for information on Araumycos after re-reading "Underdark", and all I could find on CK was a five-year-old scroll with no new information. Specifically, I was inspired by the end of the following section:
quote:
On rare occasions, enormous patches of Araumycos die, revealing ancient civilizations ripe for plunder beneath. When this happens, every city of any size in the North—surface or Underdark—sends one or more search parties in to bring back whatever they can. Parties of Shadovars from the Empire of Shade seem particularly interested in what lies below Araumycos, and they have burned away various parts of it with acids since their return, obviously in search of something particular.

I had already asked Bruce Cordell about this on his scroll here some time ago, but it seems he hasn't been around lately. If there's anything that can be said about what the Shades were looking for, I'm very interested. I suspect that my answer is going to be either "NDA" or "in the novel..." (hopefully the latter; I'd rather read than wait for Caina to defrost.)
Actually, I can state with absolute certainty that I have no special knowledge (nor a care to possess any) about Araumycos. It seems to me to be a massive superorganism, akin to giant bee colony or a redwood forest with interconnected root system, with a quasi-sentient nature to it.

Honestly, though, Araumycos has never interested me as more than a natural oddity.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  19:06:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed did drop a tidbit on Araumycos...

quote:
Prince Forge, well met! Your question concerns one of the great mysteries of Faerun -- and one, I’m afraid, that must remain largely mysterious. Eric Boyd may well be the sage who knows the most about Araumycos. All I could get out of Elminster is this:
“Araumycos is alive and sentient, but does not think as we do. It is magically bonded both to The High Forest above it and to the Weave which it in part anchors. The strong innate magic of that spot both feeds it and was the lure for those things it guards, simply by smothering them in its own body: the abandoned domiciles of ancient, now-vanished beings of several races who desired to master magic. Think of it as unslayable, un-conquerable -- and best left alone. There ARE a multitude of far easier foes and treasures in Faerun, awaiting even the most stubbornly foolish adventurers.”

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  19:25:25  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I should pose my question to Eric Boyd, then... given that all of the links on www.ericlboyd.com are currently severed, this concerns me... hopefully Mr. Boyd is in better health than his website.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  19:36:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I should pose my question to Eric Boyd, then... given that all of the links on www.ericlboyd.com are currently severed, this concerns me... hopefully Mr. Boyd is in better health than his website.

That draws vacuum! I've referred many people to particular files he hosted...

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:07:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do those direct file links still work, Wooly? Maybe his website is in the middle of a rebuild...?

Edited by - Jakk on 23 Jul 2009 00:07:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:32:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do those direct file links still work, Wooly? Maybe his website is in the middle of a rebuild...?

They do not.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  00:50:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark and the FRCS are pretty much it for sources on Araumycos.

In Eric Boyd's notes on DDGttU he wrote the following:

"The name "Araumycos" is derived from the dwarven word "great" as defined in FR11 - Dwarves Deep, p.11 and "mycos" an alternate root for "fungus". This idea springs from a phone conversation with either Ed Greenwood or Steven Schend in which the discovery of a gigantic fungus in the wilds of Canada was discussed."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  16:25:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

They do not.

I pinged Eric last night; he's in the process of moving his website. Those links will be active again soon.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  01:46:47  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I pinged Eric last night; he's in the process of moving his website. Those links will be active again soon.

Good to hear. We now return this scroll to its regularly-scheduled topic... sorry about the threadjack, Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  07:26:47  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Lythari (Ly-Tel'Quessir)

Not the expert on elven terminology, but I've heard a number of different theories. The most palatable for me is Rua-Tel'Quessir.

I found a Realmsian Elven Dictionary (possibly here at Candlekeep) that answered this question; assuming its accuracy, "star" = "kiir" (which makes sense, depending on the derivation of kiira); therefore, the Star Elves are the Kiir-Tel'Quessir. I thought I'd throw that back into this scroll just in case anyone else was curious. (kiirious?)

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2009 :  08:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already asked Ed, but it strikes me that you might be less swamped by lore queries and you are certainly knowledgable enough to provide help here. Besides, as the general said about intelligence and the lathcoin said of largesse*, I'll take it from anyone.

I'm looking for a noble family of Cormyr that was considered iconic and part of the realm's history (and if possible, its very identity) for a long time, but somehow fell from grace before the war with the Witch Kings and was stripped of all titles and lands.

If it could tie into the earliest history of the Forest Kingdom, that would be even better.

I'm going to have a surviving scion of the house have provided personal service to the King in the war against the Witch King and been restored to his anscestral rights, but died before he could claim the rights.

Without my players' knowledge, an adventure they took part in a several years ago (real time, the time in-game is just over a year) resulted in evidence being unearthed that allowed the current heir of the family to prove his status and enter upon the long and difficult task of joining the ranks of Cormyr's fair nobles. His relationship with the Dragon Throne will be helped in no small way by the fact that he is a warrior of courage and skill (who has ruled a minor duchy in the Border Kingdoms until now) and has 'more innate honour and nobility than a ten titles could give him', in the words of Caladnei after being allowed to probe his mind throughly.

Now I wonder what family name to give this scion, since the player characters will meet him within a few sessions. Any suggestions?

*There is a third profession who shares this saying, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2009 :  19:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

I've already asked Ed, but it strikes me that you might be less swamped by lore queries and you are certainly knowledgable enough to provide help here. Besides, as the general said about intelligence and the lathcoin said of largesse*, I'll take it from anyone.

I'm looking for a noble family of Cormyr that was considered iconic and part of the realm's history (and if possible, its very identity) for a long time, but somehow fell from grace before the war with the Witch Kings and was stripped of all titles and lands.

If it could tie into the earliest history of the Forest Kingdom, that would be even better.

I'm going to have a surviving scion of the house have provided personal service to the King in the war against the Witch King and been restored to his anscestral rights, but died before he could claim the rights.

Without my players' knowledge, an adventure they took part in a several years ago (real time, the time in-game is just over a year) resulted in evidence being unearthed that allowed the current heir of the family to prove his status and enter upon the long and difficult task of joining the ranks of Cormyr's fair nobles. His relationship with the Dragon Throne will be helped in no small way by the fact that he is a warrior of courage and skill (who has ruled a minor duchy in the Border Kingdoms until now) and has 'more innate honour and nobility than a ten titles could give him', in the words of Caladnei after being allowed to probe his mind throughly.

Now I wonder what family name to give this scion, since the player characters will meet him within a few sessions. Any suggestions?

*There is a third profession who shares this saying, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Apologies for the lengthy delay in replying, but I've been over deadline on a project and needed to get that done before responding to queries.

Unfortunately, the 'earliest history of the Forest Kingdom' is, at least to my perspective, incredibly full. Skip ahead a couple of centuries to the war with Hlundadim, during which a number of families were ennobled for their service, and things open up quite a bit.

In giving this lore, I'm going to assume a few things: that this noble scion holds no lands or titles of import within Cormyr, that no other members of this family can be found, and that we're following established lore concerning post-Azoun IV Cormyr.

Personally, I would recommend the Brassbow family from near Arabel. Originally a small grouping of foresters (three fast friends who intermarried to form one large, extended family), they earned notoriety in the goblin wars by holding off a large group of the little beasts with only their bows--bludgeoning the goblins once they ran out of arrows to loose. The Crown ennobled them for their service, making them baronets of the Realm.

Centuries passed, as they do, and the Brassbows made a small heap of coin instructing Cormyrean youths how to fire their bows for distance and from horseback. Eventually, these talents bred out of the family a bit, and they turned to horse breeding as a means of income--an enterprise that they didn't succeed altogether well at. The family's numbers dwindled, as its members found it harder to marry with other nobles, and some chose the lonely life of woodsmen and hunters. The family's name changed some time around 800DR, when they adopted the surname Emmerwash, the name of its sole remaining property: a small estate on the banks of the Immerflow.

Shortly thereafter, a number of traitorous actions (you can insert whatever plots and perfidy you might have already introduced in your campaign here) led to the stripping of the lead Emmerwash nobles of their titles. They were not exiled, however, and made no effort to contact the other members of their family who still lurked in the King's Forest. It was the last these forest-dwellers (rangers, mainly) that rallied to the King in the battles against the Witch-Duke and Witch Lords.

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  17:08:37  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apologies for the lengthy delay in replying, but I've been over deadline on a project and needed to get that done before responding to queries.

Quite alright.

quote:

Unfortunately, the 'earliest history of the Forest Kingdom' is, at least to my perspective, incredibly full. Skip ahead a couple of centuries to the war with Hlundadim, during which a number of families were ennobled for their service, and things open up quite a bit.

I was, perhaps, insufficiently clear in my question. I'm not really looking for space where I can make something up, but rather a canonical noble family which was important in the earliest history but is no more.

My first thought was the Turcassans. Is there any pressing reason they would not work?

quote:

In giving this lore, I'm going to assume a few things: that this noble scion holds no lands or titles of import within Cormyr, that no other members of this family can be found, and that we're following established lore concerning post-Azoun IV Cormyr.

All true. Well, except the fact that the prospective lord has stout sons which will in time inherit his place.

quote:

Personally, I would recommend the Brassbow family from near Arabel. Originally a small grouping of foresters (three fast friends who intermarried to form one large, extended family), they earned notoriety in the goblin wars by holding off a large group of the little beasts with only their bows--bludgeoning the goblins once they ran out of arrows to loose. The Crown ennobled them for their service, making them baronets of the Realm.

[snipped more about the Brassbows/Emmerwashes]

That's interesting.

On the other hand, Cormyr must be full of baronets and few people even remember the names of them all. So I don't think it would be noteworthy enough for my purposes for a title of 'baronet' to be reclaimed. I was thinking something closer to 'Duke', so that it would set the whole realm abuzz.

That's why I originally thought of the Turcassans, but I'd like to know if that's at all viable.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000