Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian Cortijo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  19:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Pathfinder Module: Academy of Secrets, by Brian Cortijo - Expected approximately May 2011
(fixed the link)

It's true: I'm currently writing a module for the Pathfinder line due out in May 2011. I'm also writing some other stuff for them, and another adventure for Gaming Paper's new Adventures line. I've also got a Twitter feed going (@briancortijo, surprisingly enough), with almost no relevant information whatsoever in it.

So.. that's the update, for now.

Any questions?

Edited by - Garen Thal on 27 Oct 2010 19:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  01:14:46  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... will "winning" the module grant your character tenure?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  18:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, if you play your cards right, all of your wildest dreams could come true. *insert maniacal laugh here*
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:30:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

Oh, if you play your cards right, all of your wildest dreams could come true. *insert maniacal laugh here*

A deck of many things?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Nov 2010 02:31:39
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
alright, lets have it... percentage roll ;)
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  18:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Hello Brian,

I've been posting numerous questions about the War Wizards on Ed's Scroll and was wondering if you'd be willing to answer question about the Brotherhood as well?

edit: I tried to put together a google search result that featured just my questions in Ed’s scroll from this year and last year (so I can better track them and make it easy for any review of them) but my google-fu is too weak.
I have a few deadlines to navigate at the moment, but as soon I'm able, I'll see what I can do to cryptically answer as many of your questions as possible, without stepping on Ed's toes.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  17:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies for taking so long to get to these. Okay, on to the questions! I’ll break them up a bit, in order to keep the posts smaller and more readable.
quote:
Thank you very much for extending some of your time to my questions. I really do appreciate it.
There’s never a need to ask permission to ask a question. It’s the ‘Questions for’… thread. You’re supposed to ask questions.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_MiscellanyForthwith, some questions: As I understand it, for some time in Cormyr’s early history it had only one Royal Mage and no War Wizards. I formed this impression after reading Cormyr: A Novel.
Correct. There weren’t any War Wizards until Amedahast formed the group during her tenure as Royal Magician.
quote:
I understand novel constraints (i.e., limits on page count and story needs) could be a factor as to why we didn’t see more of the early history of the Brotherhood in that novel.
This isn’t entirely accurate. The scene wherein we’re introduced to the young Thanderahast shows some of the early War Wizards… and what happened to them.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_MiscellanyThat said, I’m wondering if it’s true there were no supporting mages or deputies assigned to the first couple of Royal Mages?
Well, this is a complicated question, because it assumes a level of authority over mages that simply didn’t exist at the time.

Magical knowledge in the four or five centuries following the Fall of Netheril was sparse in the area now known as the Heartlands; entire cities full of magic study were suddenly destroyed, and most magic was in the hands of the few remaining mages in Netherese survivor states—like Baerauble—or the elves of Cormanthor (who, understandably, guarded it carefully). The original human settlers of Cormyr were farmers, not scholars, so there was little chance of an explosion of magical study in those first years of Cormyr.

Eventually, though, some magic did filter into the country, such that by the early 100s DR, there was already a small Council of Mages to speak of. These mages answered to the king and his Royal Magician (Baerauble), but weren’t “assigned” in any real sense; they were independent subjects of the Crown who did their duty by exercising magical might on behalf of the kingdom, and later in setting some policy for the use of such magic in the land.

It was only under Amedahast that the growing number and power of wizards in Cormyr was truly brought under thumb. Even then, the Brotherhood of Wizards of War began as a collection of independents whom Amedahast wanted to keep close watch on, not as agents trained and organized by the Crown.

We see how that first attempt worked out.

quote:
If not, was there ever a time when any of the early Royal Mages decided to use deputies or could call upon support from someplace like Myth Drannor in times of crisis—assuming there were trustworthy mages available and it was within the Royal Mage’s power to do so?

The early Mages Royal (Baerauble, and particularly Amedahast) had support from Myth Drannor in the form of instruction, some items (including potions to extend their lifespan), and very occasionally direct spellcasting. Cormyr was a smaller, if not simpler place then, so magical threats often persisted in the long wilderness between settlements for a long time, until they grew bored, fell dormant, or burnt themselves out—not every threat was addressed in the manner or with the swift decisiveness of a Vangerdahast.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  17:27:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Much as there are specific tailors who make Purple Dragon uniforms, are there specific makers of blank War Wizard Spellbooks? Or do the War Wizards handle spellbook production in-house?
Short answer: neither. Maybe. It depends.
First off: remember that not every War Wizard is, in game terms, a wizard. Those who are sorcerers or other spontaneous casters don’t use spellbooks at all.

Secondly: The vast majority of War Wizards come to the organization with some degree of magical training. Remember that Cormyr registers its wizards; in most cases, newly minted War Wizards already have spellbooks long before they join the Brotherhood.

Under Vangerdahast, there were a few major practices.

The first was that everything had to come from a trusted source, which meant that someone within the Brotherhood had to be responsible for spellbook binding, or weathercloaks, or rings. For items that Vangerdahast did not have a specific agent within the War Wizards or the Palace at large to create, he used a complex network of purchasers to hide the final consumer of the item.

The second was that a particular War Wizard was solely responsible for his own upkeep. Other than standard-issue or Crown-held equipment and magic, things like boots, spellbooks, personal rings, and other gear was something the wizard was supposed to take care of himself, which in many cases meant that a War Wizard made them himself. This was especially true of certain paranoid mages, who were afraid of secret pages and other hidden magics within their spellbooks.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  17:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
During Cormyr’s early years, were individual mages ever knighted or given honors and made to serve the Royal Mage much as a Highknight would take orders from the King (or did Highknights exist back then)?
No one can be made to serve the Crown. One can accidentally swear to serve the Crown, and then be drafted into service, but such oaths must originate from the subject.

Yes, individual mages received honors, but they were very few and quite far between.
quote:
I understand independent mages (like Maxer Hlarr) have been given honors and duty to protect a specific area or city, but I’m thinking more towards a wandering, possibly adventurer, type of mage more interested in moving about then settling down to do research, who could serve as a mobile agent and/or representative for the Mage Royal.
Such agents exist(ed) before (and now, outside) the War Wizards, but while they acted for the Crown, they did not speak for the king or the Mage Royal. Much like the Harpers, there are other folks who act in Cormyr’s best interest, often with the tacit approval (if not covert support) of the Crown, but don’t have the authority to say any subject must or must not do anything.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  17:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
During Cormyr’s early years (prior to the formation of the Brotherhood of Wizards of War) did the noble houses ever produce mages of exceptional skill who thought they knew what was best for Cormyr and so worked magic as they saw fit to a point where the Royal Mage was forced to kill off, drive away or come to agreeable terms with such wizards?
Oh, most certainly.

quote:
Or as Cormyr was growing were noble-born mages expected to support the Crown by working directly with the Mage Royal, much as we read about Alusair and Azoun leading noble born non-wizards on excursions into the Stonelands and Cormyr’s wilds to forge relationships and cement loyalty?
This, too!

Nobles of all types are expected by their families to cultivate close relationship with other noble scions, with the monarch and potential heirs, and with influential commoners. It’s what’s done. They are expected by the common people to do much the same, but to remain loyal to the Crown.

However (and this cannot be emphasized enough), in no generation has any noble family been particularly pleased to learn that one of its heirs was planning to engage in the study of magic. Magic is a vulgar power-grab, an attempt by trumped up commoners to grasp at thrones (or higher!). It requires years of study, during which the noble son or daughter could be cultivating relationships, honing skills of politics and power, and gathering wealth and influence that will stand the family in good stead for generations to come.

There’s also the simple, hard fact that the Crown doesn’t want noble mages. It wants loyal mages, and to reward those mages with status and responsibility, but it doesn’t want to give a wizard a specific grant of generational power—because such grants tend to lead to mages who would prefer to be tyrants, replacing their children in a never-ending cycle while they grow in power, and eventually make a play for the Dragon Throne.

Baerauble was feared in the extreme by most early nobles, but Vangerdahast was by far the most reviled when nobles considered what would happen if they had their children tutored in magic. Remember that Vangerdahast a) succeeded Jorunhast, who was exiled for killing Salember, b) came into power by slaying disloyal mages (both War Wizards and those not in service) and c) spent decades reminding the nobility that as far as he was concerned, the only noble family more important than Baerauble’s was Ondeth’s. People criticized him as a trumped-up commoner, but really what they feared was a purge. Giving Vangey disloyal noble wizards would be like going out onto your estate and planting a hedge maze that looked suspiciously like a bullseye from above.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  17:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I got them all. Please let me know if I missed any.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  18:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rock on! Thank you very much for answering those questions.
No problem!
quote:
My take away from your response is to remember *how things were* when thinking historically.
When it comes down to it, that's always key. If you lose sight of the general conditions for the time period you're examining, it's easy to miss the mark. While Cormyr is a fairly stable kingdom, it's also nearly fifteen centuries old, and in such a long span, things change. How and why they change is at the root of any societal attitudes or traditions regarding magic and wizards.

Vangerdahast did a lot to make people believe that the way he wanted it was "the way things always have been, and must needs continue to be," but that doesn't make it so.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 29 Mar 2011 18:53:13
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  20:28:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
During Cormyr’s early years, were individual mages ever knighted or given honors and made to serve the Royal Mage much as a Highknight would take orders from the King (or did Highknights exist back then)?
Yes, individual mages received honors, but they were very few and quite far between.
And my own assumption here would be that most Warwizards thus-honored were done so posthumously.

After all, they are expected to "give it all they got", so to be honored they must have gone 'above and beyond the call of duty' (which in a D&D setting equates to "...with NO chance of ressurection".)

I also don't want to step on toes, but I have grown fond of Warwizard lore (and eagerly await answers to all of Misc's excellent queries as well), and couldn't help but by chime-in on that last bit. War Wizards are expected to give their lives for Cormyr, so rare-indeed must one be so honored.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  21:58:00  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

quote:
And my own assumption here would be that most Warwizards thus-honored were done so posthumously.

After all, they are expected to "give it all they got", so to be honored they must have gone 'above and beyond the call of duty' (which in a D&D setting equates to "...with NO chance of ressurection".)

I also don't want to step on toes, but I have grown fond of Warwizard lore (and eagerly await answers to all of Misc's excellent queries as well), and couldn't help but by chime-in on that last bit. War Wizards are expected to give their lives for Cormyr, so rare-indeed must one be so honored.
Bah. Step away!

It's true: War Wizards are expected to be prepared to sacrifice everything for their kingdom. It's also true that in many cases, things acts that might be heroic or sacrificial or downright extraordinary go unnoticed or unheralded, precisely because those sacrifices are made in secret, away from the necessary eyes.

When a War Wizard falls, unless it is in battle saving the royal person, it's often a silent, unwitnessed falling. At best, a few of his fellows and the current Mage Royal will remember and note the passing, but it's rare indeed that the death is acknowledged in any meaningful way.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  16:55:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

Just saw the lineup for Whne The Hero Comes Home, can't wait to read One and Twenty Summers!!

I looked around so I could preorder it, but no luck on their amazon store yet...

Now, what can you tease us with about it?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  18:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Congrats!

Just saw the lineup for Whne The Hero Comes Home, can't wait to read One and Twenty Summers!!
Thanks! It's my first published fiction, so I'm experiencing that ever-present mix of excitement that it will see the light of day and fear as to how it will be received.
quote:
I looked around so I could preorder it, but no luck on their amazon store yet...
I'm not sure which distribution channels the book will available through; Dragon Moon Press is a small publishing house, and the details of who gets what information, and when, escape me.

I do know that Gabrielle (Harbowy, our fine editrix) posted that requests for preorder information should be sent to eic@dragonmoonpress.com. Given that, I can't be sure that they'll be offering the book through Amazon.com at all... though I can certainly hope that it will so the various authors can all direct their fanbases to the book.

If you're interested in ordering through Amazon, I'd recommend requesting that option through the above email.
quote:
Now, what can you tease us with about it?

I can't tease much about the book, as the only story I've read is my own.

For my story, I don't want to say too much for want of spoiling the surprises therein, but I will mention that the title, "One and Twenty Summers," is meant to suggest a span of time; not all the adjustments a hero needs to make to life after his heroism can be confronted on the day he returns home, after all.

Happy reading!
Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  00:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME

quote:

I do know that Gabrielle (Harbowy, our fine editrix) posted that requests for preorder information should be sent to eic@dragonmoonpress.com. Given that, I can't be sure that they'll be offering the book through Amazon.com at all... though I can certainly hope that it will so the various authors can all direct their fanbases to the book.

Greetings, all. I'm a longtime lurker under another name, as well as being the above-named editrix.

I just wanted to confirm that WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME will be available on Amazon.com, even though it isn't up for preorder yet. Amazon's transition from preorder to live is sometimes glitchy; Ed, DMP and I would all like to avoid as many glitches as we can.

I can also confirm that Brian's story is excellent, of course, as are all the rest of them.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2011 :  04:00:08  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielle_H

Regarding WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME

quote:

Greetings, all. I'm a longtime lurker under another name, as well as being the above-named editrix.

I just wanted to confirm that WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME will be available on Amazon.com, even though it isn't up for preorder yet. Amazon's transition from preorder to live is sometimes glitchy; Ed, DMP and I would all like to avoid as many glitches as we can.

I can also confirm that Brian's story is excellent, of course, as are all the rest of them.
I blush, madam!

I will say, though, that I'm as eager as anyone to dig through the other tales in the collection. The anticipation is unbearable!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  17:00:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see you get to do a novella set like Rosemary's ( if not a novel) It would e a great way for you to jump into realms fiction......I'll keep hoping for big news attached to your name

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 03 Nov 2011 17:01:17
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  17:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I'd love to see you get to do a novella set like Rosemary's ( if not a novel) It would e a great way for you to jump into realms fiction......I'll keep hoping for big news attached to your name

Thank you!

While I can't announce any fiction news related to the Realms, I will tell folks to keep an eye peeled for early next year. There are some things afoot that I, at least, find very interesting.

As for my writing a Realms novella, or a set of novellas, or a novel, let me just say this: if they asked me to do so, I probably wouldn't say "no." Until such time, however, I'll be honing my skills as best I can, building my catalogue, and working on the gaming side of things as much as companies will allow me.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  18:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, with two meaty articles out, and another one on the way, no one has any questions for me? I am shocked, I tell you. Truly!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  19:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, with two meaty articles out, and another one on the way, no one has any questions for me? I am shocked, I tell you. Truly!

Any chance I can read those without a paying subscription?

There's a question for ye, smarty. Not the type you wanted, eh?

Steven
who can see the smirk on Brian's face and hear the mirthless chuckle as he plans a suitable revenge.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  19:26:53  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Who are you? *rimshot please*

2) It’s been two decades since anyone has tried to ‘tame’ the Stonelands. Who or what organization was the last to try it?

3) What is the name of the baroness in the picture?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  19:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Yes, but not legally.

Now ware you, sir. Revenge will be coming.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  19:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
1) Who are you? *rimshot please*
I'm *that guy*.
quote:
2) It’s been two decades since anyone has tried to ‘tame’ the Stonelands. Who or what organization was the last to try it?
The last serious attempt mounted on the Stonelands was by Cibran Truesilver, who--childless and in his fifties--gathered a group of loyal retainers to try and carve out a small outpost that the Crown could later use. He had minor success, but when the first wagons of builders came to assess the site he had chosen, they found his retinue dead, his body torn asunder days before, with their crude wooden barricades untouched by whatever creature slew them.
quote:
3) What is the name of the baroness in the picture?
That is (up until the moment that crown hits her head) Lady Knight Eydris Summersword, being invested as Baroness Extraordinary of Battlerise by King Azoun V in the Year of the Silent Flute (1437 DR) for her service in the war against Netherese Sembia.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  06:04:04  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

There's a question for ye, smarty. Not the type you wanted, eh?

Steven
who can see the smirk on Brian's face and hear the mirthless chuckle as he plans a suitable revenge.....

Steven... even *I* bought a one-month subscription to read these articles... and I had been one of the staunchest naysayers to DDI since it began, largely because I still miss the physical magazines... and it may very well be the only month I subscribe to, unless we can convince WotC to publish the Cormyr Lineage... my 2 cents has been put in there, by the way, Brian.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  22:12:55  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garen,

Am I understanding your article correctly about extraordinary titles?
Does Baroness Summersword have a little extra something in her blood?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:27:52  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Garen,

Do the drow of Sschindylryn have any trade connections, surface outposts, or activity in the lands of Cormyr? And what happened with the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar being sealed by crown order? In the old grey box campaign guide there was a bit about a sage of Cormyr who discovered why the dwarves disappeared from those halls. I don't recall ever finding anything else about it or any follow up being done on this place other than the 2E adventure Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. I always liked that dungeon, I just wish there was more information on it and of dwarves of the Storm Horns in general.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Garen,

Am I understanding your article correctly about extraordinary titles?
Does Baroness Summersword have a little extra something in her blood?
An extraordinary title is one which doesn't get passed on to heirs. This mechanism is used for a number of different reasons--one of which is to award nonhumans (in particular, those of elven blood who may or may not have shared that heritage with folk other than the Crown). It's not the case that all or even most extraordianary nobles have nonhuman blood. Sometimes, the Crown wants to reward single acts of bravery with knighthood, or the act of a brave or loyal knight with a higher rank, without passing that rank to her offspring.

Crown records give no indication that Lady Summersword was anything other than human. Many noble families, however, do have a drop or two of elven blood in their lineages, and (depending on family tradition and current trends at Court) reveal or tout those rumors when necessary.

If Lady Knight Eydris was (for instance) half-elven, it's more likely that she would have been made a baroness extraordinary rather than being given a heritable title, but it's not the case that having an extraordinary title is only for nonhumans.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thy work has earned thee great honor for accuracy and skill. I praise you, sir!

But I have a question, Sir Garen--wilt thou not come to mine aid in yon Realmslore thread?

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16105

Forsooth!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000