Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2013 :  16:28:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

George, am slowly working on a scroll that will include all your posts on Impiltur. It probably wont be finished until November, because there's a lot of stuff here you've contributed to on the subject, and I unfortunately have other ongoing projects. Just thought I'd let you know.

I think Sage has been working on one for about 3 years now. We'll be playing 6E by the time we get to see it!

-- George Krashos

Indeed. It's been a long, slow crawl toward compiling all of your Impiltur-related postings made here at Candlekeep, on the Wizards boards, and on the FR Mailing List as well.

Of course, I'm not against a little collaborative effort, Sightless, if you're interested?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2013 :  01:37:04  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you again, George. Very informative, as always.
I'm sure I'll have additional questions in the near future.
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  22:58:46  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, George!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  23:47:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

Thank you, George!

You are more than welcome. Hope it was useful and/or enjoyable.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  04:53:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish the hour wasn't so late -- I'm a fan of Krash's lore, but I can't take the time to read this now!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  19:55:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friend Krash, this is, as always, some good stuff, and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

That said, I'll admit to a couple bits of confusion, on my part...

quote:

Description: This two-handwidths in diameter globe is made of a smooth, opaque, unknown crystal that sits in a platinum “collar” engraved with Mentor’s wizard’s mark and Espruar runes that spell out the word “elember”. Saying this word while the crystal is sitting in the collar seals the two together, preventing their separation. The word must be uttered again for the two to be separated. It should be noted that one need not be in contact with the globe for the command word to function, but it is thought that the utterer must be within 10-feet of it.

So is the collar just a holder for the globe, or is it required for the globe to work? Does it do anything by itself?

quote:

Description: The Soulshard appears as a thick (three fingers wide) slab of rectangular glass of a grey, smoky hue and appearance, about four handwidths high with a cut-off bottom and a single jagged shard on the top. It can stand up by itself but is quite heavy, weighing approximately 30 pounds. The jagged shard of the Soulshard has an arcane mark inscribed on it in the form of Raanaghaun’s mage sigil: a circle with three equal length lines coming off it to the sinister, the top and bottom lines curling back onto themselves.

The single jagged shard on the top -- I'm assuming this is an irregularly-shaped, sharp-edged projection from the main body of the crystal?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  22:54:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, just a holder and yes, just a projection from the main body.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  23:00:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you most kindly, sir!

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  04:16:52  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.. this is great lore. Thanks for sharing, George!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  16:02:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, love Mentor's Mythalglass. Can't read through the others at this second, but will get to them after work. One quick question

"The mythal ghost is confined to the 10-foot radius area that the user has successfully scryed."

So, I'm assuming that someone bull rushing a mythal ghost and knocking it out of this 10 foot radius would cause the mythal ghost to disperse?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2013 :  16:36:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, that's would would happen. Note that Mentor used the mythal ghost power more as an intelligence/information gathering device rather than a combat mechanism. Normally, as soon as the mythal ghost was discovered he'd withdraw it, but I can see situations where the ghost's parent decided to fight with it or it was caught unawares.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  16:06:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,
Would just like to say i love your work, the dedication to detail is immense and very creative.
I just managed to get hold of a copy of your Impiltur article for Dragon and i liked it so much i included it all in my notes on Impiltur.

I was just wondering where you personally were heading with the whole Soneillon and Impiltur plot hook.

When i read the article it is obvious that a war is brewing, partly civil war, between the state of Impiltur and those lords and nobles loyal to the state (and maybe the king if he survives) on one side. On the other side it looks to be Soneillon, and the two lords she has corrupted, plus a few nobles eager for power (i would imagine at least one old Impiltur noble family trying to revive their fortunes) and anyone else that follows the death knight king.

I did notice that with all the recent deaths of kings it looks like the Queen Regent Sambryl is involved but that seems to obvious to me so i would imagine they are being killed by someone else (Soneillon's agents) and she is left alive to implicate her and get her forced from the Queen Regent position early before the new king comes of age.

I dont think Haelimbraun is one of the corrupted lords, again it would be too obvious for his newfound zeal to be fake, instead i think at least one of the lords tutoring the new king directly is corrupted. Maybe as a double bluff, Eltab has corrupted Haelimbraun through an artefact of Narfell recovered fromt he citadel of conjurers centuries ago or something like that, and is persuading the lord to persecute evil doers that support his enemies (which may include Soneillon - see a later idea).

Now it would seem normal for Soneillon and Eltab to be working together to overthrow Impiltur as they both have its conquest as a common goal and Eltab was her superior in the past. However given the treacherous nature of demons, and the fact that Soneillon has been working largely alone for many centuries it would be more fun if they worked against each other. This could be Impiltur's salvation.

So what if Soneillon has been keeping tabs on Eltab through that talon artefact you detailed on these forums some time ago, but likewise Eltab has been keeping tabs on Soneillon through the death knight king and as his trump card the death knight actually serves him.

So anyway here is my idea for Impiltur using your plot hooks.

Soneillon gets Queen Regent Sambryl deposed and executed for treason (killing the other kings). Then using the corrupted lords influence has a sizable portion of the army of Impiltur head into the Giantspire Mountains and get massacred.

Soneillon's hobgoblin army then marches into Impiltur with the death knight king at its helm and attracts some of the lords and nobles to its banner beginning a bloody war between the two.

Soneillon either wins entirely or occupies the Uplands and declares herself queen of Impiltur (or whatever she wants to call it).

Eltab then orders the death knight king to attack her at the ceremony and unleashes hisarmy of fiends (called to him from the Rawlinswood and other demon infest areas). Soneillon and her hobgoblins battle Eltab and his demons and then the Impilturans march in with their paladins and clean up.

Of course im more interested in what you would do with it (mostly to see if i was close with any of my ideas)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  07:10:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi dazzlerdal, glad that some of the stuff I ... ahem ... make up is useful to you.

I note that my Impiltur Dragon article was written before the advent of 4E. I thought at the time that the 4E changeover would be another 5-10 year jump (i.e. a 1380 to 1385 DR date) and had planned for Imbar II to be on the throne, have dissolved the Council of Lords and expanded Impiltur's modern borders to the west, gobbling up Tsurlagol and Procampur.

At the same time, I was going to have Soneillon finally launch her assault on Impiltur with a hobgoblin horde bolstered by various demons etc., with Imbrar scrambling to head east and north to meet their attack and likely, as you've come up with, ceding the Uplands to the enemy.

That was about it in general, broad brushstroke terms.

I like the stuff that you've come up with and especially like the Soneillon and Eltab friction that you've cooked up. Anyone who has read GHotR closely may or may not have spotted something of an anomaly in the line of the Narfelli monarchs. Specifically the fact that the last reigning Nentyarch of Narfell was a half-fiend son of Fraz'Urb-luu, not Orcus as had been the case with the rest of the Darakh dynasty. It always struck me as somewhat interesting that the Narfelli chose to summon Eltab to aid them in their fight against the Raumathari.

I concocted a plot thread in my head that had this summoning instigated by Fraz'Urb-luu, and that Soneillon was outwardly a servant of Eltab, but in reality had Fraz as her master, with the object of keeping him away from the Abyss so that Fraz could usurp Eltab's holdings, planes, power base etc.

So your thoughts about Soneillon and Eltab not necessarily being best of buddies is right on in my book.

Thanks for taking an interest.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  21:53:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, i'm simply astounded at how you managed to pull something like the Fraz-Urb'luu element out of the lore and turn it into something as deep and as brilliant as an Abyssal back stab of epic proportions that stretches back millennia.

I don't subscribe to anything beyond 3rd edition anymore (unless written by one of you esteemed scribes and even then I change the dates to be 1375 era) so I will be using the ideas you just gave me for my campaign.

So thankyou very much, I will be back for more Impiltur lore later when I have compiled all your existing work and the official lore as well.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  09:03:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're more than welcome. Let me know if you need anything specific.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  07:16:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the full, unedited piece on Dargrath's Caverns from my "Impiltur" article in Dragon#346:

Located over a week’s ride southwest of Tower Ithfell, this cave network in the Earthspur Mountains is the last recognizable remnant of the great hobgoblin realm of Haekrukkha, which dominated the uplands of modern Impiltur in the time following the spread of the Great Glacier and the forced migration of many creatures and races southward. The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha were led by a great war-leader known as the Dargrath, or “Great Slayer” in their tongue, and he was supported by a powerful cabal of shamans who wove vile sorceries to bring power and might to the hobgoblin warrior caste of that realm. At least one scholar, Nartan of Candlekeep, believes that these dark rituals involved consuming the flesh and eggs of dragons, thereby infusing the subject with draconic powers and augmented physical attributes. Whatever the result of such practices, the hobgoblins often waged war against the dwarves of the surrounding mountains and the moon elves of the Gray Forest, known then as the realm of Larlotha. In time, the ferocity of the hobgoblin assaults brought these two races together in a rare alliance and the hobgoblins were crushed, the few survivors fleeing north and east to the Giantspire Mountains where they remain to this day, bitter at the memory of their defeat so long ago and eager for their ultimate revenge.

Following the final battles that saw the demise of the realm of Haekrukkha, the Dargrath and his shaman supporters fled to the cavern network that bears his name, a cave-in of their own making sealing them off from the surface lands. No-one today knows of their fate but miners of Impiltur broke through into Dargrath’s Caverns several years ago whilst following rich seams of silver ore. They discovered ancient altars, weird pictographs and at least one intact skeleton hinting at illithid activity which prompted further exploration by such adventuring bands as the Knights of the Elder Flame and the all-woman, Loviatar-worshipping Spiked Sisterhood. Neither party of brave adventurers returned to the Lands of Light. What lies in the depths of Dargrath’s Caverns is still to be revealed, but sages speculate on the possibility that the Dargrath and his followers have lived on through the centuries, their longevity tied to evil rituals, or have been made into thralls by illithids who wait to unleash them on the unsuspecting lands above.

In addition, here are some relevant historical timeline entries (some of which made it into GHotR):

-10400 Dark elves of Clan Sethomiir travel by magic to the Riildath (Modern: Rawlinswood & Forest of Lethyr) from Ilythiir, guided by the hand of the balor Wendonai. They construct an underground fortress named Narathmault, “the Dark Pit”, at the site of present-day Dun Tharos, recognising it as a place of great evil.

-10390 The hobgoblin tribes of the Riildath are enslaved by the dark elves of Narathmault and used to hunt down and slay or capture the nomadic humans who dwell in the woodlands.

-10000 The dark elves of Narathmault are transformed into drow by the will of the Seldarine, shattering their bindings over a host of fiends who swiftly turn on their former masters. Led by Undrek of Clan Sethomiir, the drow and their minotaur servants are forced to flee Narathmault, travelling south and east into the underground caverns beneath the present-day Plateau of Thay.

-9800 The Yuirwood is settled by small numbers of green elves fleeing the conflicts of the Crown Wars.

-9750 The Riildath is settled by moon and gold elves of Shantel Othreier fleeing the persecution of the Vyshaan of Aryvandaar.

-9740 The elves of the Riildath discover the horrors of Narathmault and resolve to clear the forest of all N`Tel`Quess (non-elves) so as to safeguard them from the foul legacies of Ilythiir. The elven realm of Lethyr is founded in the Riildath.

-9735 The elves of Lethyr make war against the nomadic human and hobgoblin tribes of the Riildath.

-9725 After a decade of clashes, the humans of the Riildath, led by their shaman chieftain Nar, are driven from the woodlands and settle lands far to the north. Over the centuries, these humans become known as the Nar for their legendary saviour.

-9720 The hobgoblin tribes of the Riildath are defeated by the elves of Lethyr and flee into the surrounding mountains and northern plains. Their defeat sees the destruction by fire of the extreme western arm of the forest which becomes known as Caerthiilor or “the Blighted Plains” (Modern: uplands of Impiltur).

-6850 The moon elves of the Yuirwood travel to the forest of Saerdath (Modern: Gray Forest), and establish the realm of Larlotha.

-2475 The Great Glacier continues to grow, expanding south to cover the lands that will eventually be known as Vaasa and Damara.

-2465 The elves of Lethyr use High Magic to stop the spread of the Great Glacier southward and preserve their forest lands.

-2460 The Nar human tribes and the hobgoblins of the northern mountains and tundra, pushed south by the expansion of the Great Glacier, come into conflict with each other and the elves of Lethyr.

-2457 The Nar defeat the hobgoblin hordes in battle and force them west and south into the uninhabited lands of Caerthiilor where the hobgoblins establish the realm of Haekrukkha. The Nar humans settle the plains on the northern fringes of the Riildath.

c. -2440 The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha raid the forests of Larlotha for the first time, beginning over a century of skirmishes, attacks and invasions between the two realms.

-2287 In response to forest fires lit by the hobgoblins of Haekrukkha, the elves of Larlotha begin their final, genocidal war against the humanoids.

-2284 The dwarves of the Earthfast Mountains ally with the moon elves of Larlotha against the hobgoblins.

-2281 The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha are defeated and their realm is shattered by the combined forces of the dwarves and moon elves. The elves of Larlotha, led by their warrior-queen Eldratha, suffer grievously in the final battles losing almost a whole generation of young elves in the fighting. The few surviving hobgoblins flee to the sanctuary of the Giantspire Mountains.

-1335 The moon elves of Larlotha begin a Retreat to Cormanthyr with the marriage of their ruler and queen Ildranna “Starflowers” to Coronal Miirphys of that realm. Within fifty winters only small pockets of elves reside within the Gray Forest.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 20 Jul 2013 09:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  08:41:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is the like button eh?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  11:13:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's just purely awesome stuff, George! Purely awesome.

And with some slight tweaks [where necessary], I'm dropping this almost wholesale into my Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  13:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And my printer just ran out of ink. Thank Oghma for bookmarks! Thanks Mr. Krashos!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  23:09:38  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
can only repeat, awfully nice. are there any ruins of haekrukkha still present today?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  23:53:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

can only repeat, awfully nice. are there any ruins of haekrukkha still present today?

They built no great cities or any structures of note. The present-day (c. 1370 DR that is) Fortress of Mal is thought to have been built on what was a Haekrukkha "holy place" (pilgrimage spot, burial ground etc) and there are more than the single "Dargrath's Caverns"-type places in the Earthspurs where evidence of their civilization might be found.

There is however one unique geographical feature of the Uplands that had significance for the hobgoblins of Haekrukkha, and that is the area they called Margrolkh, known today as Melarthaun's Sinkhole (for the sage and explorer Melarthaun of Sarshel, dead as of 1327 DR).

Known throughout Impiltur's history by many different names, Melarthaun's Sinkhole is located on the shores of the River Icehilt, north and slightly east of Vordic Dun. This natural feature is a huge (800 feet in diameter at the rim narrowing to 400 feet), deep pit (some 1000 feet in depth) with a unique isolated forest at the bottom. A religious site for the hobgoblins it was used by them to deposit precious items in tribute to Maglubiyet and living sacrifices. Melarthaun is known to have plumbed its depths briefly and talks of an immense fungal forest filled with poisonous fungi not found anywhere else in the region and slimes and oozes in abundance. He did discover and bring out of the sinkhole a small, crude, golden statuette of Maglubiyet but found nothing else of note before the environmental factors forced him to flee. Since his initial foray, a few intrepid individuals have tried to explore Melarthaun's Sinkhole, including the adventuring bands known as the Company of the Azure Pegasus and the dwarvish adventuring brotherhood known as the Grim Axes of Dorn, but they have all disappeared and not been heard of since.

Sages, as they say, are still waiting to hear more.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 21 Jul 2013 02:03:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2013 :  15:11:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great FR lore, as usual, Krash.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  07:51:48  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, very nice indeed. so, following the timeline you have given, hobgoblins were inhabiting the plains and areas which are nowadays narfell and eventually damaara?
and this even before the first humans migrated into these areas?

and the survivors of haekrukkha, did they all go into the giantspires or also moved into other ranges, like the galena mountains, where today is a huge goblinoid population ( although i have no direct information on which races exactly )?

any shared information is highly appreciated, as always.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  03:09:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The goblinoids have long had a presence in current day Vaasa, Damara and Narfell as well as points north before there was a Great Glacier. I've postulated that they were slaves of the giants and the dragons (more the former than the latter) but that the hobgoblins in particular were more closely tied to the dragons (who experimented on goblins magically, bred them into stronger and stronger strains and in my Realms, gave us what we now know as the hobgoblin race). The giants kept goblins for food and mass labour, using bugbears as overseers and arrow-fodder troops.

After the time of the dragons and the age of giants, the hobgoblins did indeed share the plains north of the Auldgloam Forest with the Nar humans following their eviction by the elves of Lethyr. There were no permanent settlements for either group, but the humans controlled most of the plains and the hobgoblins stayed in the hills/mountains and raided constantly.

It should be noted that orcs have never been a feature of the lands of the Unapproachable East. They arrived during the Orcgate Wars and are the gray orcs featured in "Races of Faerun" (p.65). When their invasion was shattered, the majority of the survivors fled to the surrounding mountains, east and north. The orcs who fled north moved into the forests of Lethyr and were slain in droves, but greatly weakened the elves also, leading to their inability to resist human encroachment by -1020 DR. The orcs kept going north and west into the Earthspurs and Earthfast Mountains where they first encountered the dwarves of Earthfast. The orcs were then shoved north again into the Galenas and Vaasa where over three centuries they gathered in sufficient numbers to move west and south and form Vastar and spread into the Moonsea and Tortured Lands.

The hobgoblins of Haekrukkha went mostly into the Giantspires (they had established a series of fortresses there as 'last redoubt' type refuges) but smaller tribes did remain in the Earthspurs and Galenas as well as moving into the bogs of Vaasa. Basically, they fled into marginal areas of the region, free from significant dwarven and elven influence. The Dargrath and his shaman cabal did not go with them because something (or someone) caused them to head into the Earthspurs. Many sages consider that it was illithid coercion and control and that the present-day settlement of Brikklext has some sort of connection also.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Jul 2013 03:10:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  04:00:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... dragons (who experimented on goblins magically, bred them into stronger and stronger strains and in my Realms, gave us what we now know as the hobgoblin race).
Hmmm. Did these experimentations on the goblins result in the breeding of any other goblinoid-related races in your Realms, Krash? What about "failed" experimental races? Or even aberrant forms of goblins? [I only ask, because I'm thinking this could be a way of introducing into my Realms some of the variant goblinoid types that have been featured in various other third-party sources.]

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  13:14:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that there are indeed variant goblinoids, but in game mechanic terms I'm unaware of any other 'monster' options other than Blues. In terms of "my Realms" and Haekrukkha, I've got more powerful hobgoblin Blues and my Brikklext is controlled by them.

I also have more powerful and magic-oriented hobgoblins (the "rukkha" first seen in Ed's 'Elminster in Myth Drannor' novel) which in my Realms are the result of a breeding program undertaken millennia ago by the red great wyrm Arvalarukkha "Scorchtalons".

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  13:25:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably know this, buuuuut...

Who first settled Impiltur?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  17:44:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impiltur as a nation was founded by Chondathans, who over the centuries have bred with the 'locals' to become Damarans. The latent Chondathan streak in Impiltur is the reason why the "Invisible Art" is slightly more prevalent in the general population (higher percentage of wild talents in the main).

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  18:02:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the speedy reply, Krash.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  12:23:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How old was Princess Aliia when she died?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000