Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  08:37:07  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool!! Can't wait to see it. Yes, I want to make 2017 as well. Something to shoot for. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get time off for that.

Don't sweat it, having hair's overrated!

R...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  19:17:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got around to reading your piece on Jergal over on Ed's site. I had assumed I knew most of it already (from other projects), and hence the delay. Also just caught up with this thread since my last post.

Two things:
1) I'd say that 'naturally occurring ' Chardalyn are really Glowstones (from Dwarves Deep), which absorbed the essence of the Spellweavers and became Sstar Gems. Dwarven Glowstones (from Dwarves Deep, not the ones from 3e) absorb magical energy in much the same way iron absorbs magnetism (a counter-force to magic, BTW). On a magically rich world like Toril - with it's Weave - these stones would be fully charged almost all the time. The Disjunction managed to alter their energy-absorbing abilities and grafted the shattered souls of the Spellweavers into them (which may have been a precursor for the Elven Kiira).

2) Not a fan of the Terraseer being manipulated by Jergal - why not just make the Terraseer Jergal? Wouldn't that have been the simplest solution? He had already posed as a Sarrukh earlier (with the Ba'etith), so he could have simply revised his role. My big problem with it is that it makes some of my own fan-lore conflict (regarding The Terraseer and Halaster). On the other hand - since I take whatever you and Eric say as canon - I have figured out a way too reconcile MY lore with YOURS. Since I think Halaster was the Terraseer, and Halaster was Imaskari, then it would make sense if the two were ancient enemies... truly ANCIENT. You see, Halaster was a Creatori (Creator Race) survivor himself - one who could change his form at-will (and be completely undetectable). He would have also been part of the Ba'etith, and been secretly operating at odds with Jergal the whole time. Now, as for WHICH Creator Race he was from... you'd think human, given his penchent for that form, but a Batarchi would make the most sense. Also, the Fey - another group known for changing their forms - seem to have had their home in the Eastern Realms - right around Halaster's old Imaskari stomping grounds. He could be from any of the Creatori... or even something else. I'll leave that bit open-ended... for now.

And a third point, which I had already worked-out before typing this (so not really much of a point anymore). The stuff concerning the Imaskarna being the 3rd set of Nether scrolls (cool idea, BTW... that 3rd set; I had always said there must have been one ). I wasn't overly found of the Imaskarna being 'lessened' in that fashion, and my own musings point to the fey - the only Creators NOT involved with the Ba'etith - as the ones who first helped the Imaskari on their magical way (because I think 'Sorcerous' traditions actually originated in Zakhara, and with their descendents, the Mujhuri). Sorcery lends itself perfectly to fey magic, as opposed to the study-based, heavily 'lawful', rigid set of rules regarding Arcane Magic.

And then it dawned on me, there are TWO TIERS of Imaskarna. 'greater' and 'lesser', and all was right in the world again. I've already worked out a fix to blend the two fan-lores together on this point. The lesser ones were the ones based on the fey traditions, and then they were able to create the Greater ones using the Nether Scrolls, AND their previous knowledge from The Fey (thus, keeping them unique from the other copies).

Anyhow, keep up the great work. Someone has to keep the Realms alive and breathing.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Aug 2015 19:20:50
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  20:30:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, dwarven glowstones. I'm gonna read up on those, see if I can link anything to Delzoun.

I read the manipulation of Arthindol as something very subtle (but then all deific/mortal interactions are subtle or non-existant for me). So I made a new artefact "The Tear of Ascore" that is a bit like Jergal's deific phylactery from his time as an undead (yes hunefer have no phylactery but the entire spellweaver race was altered out of existence I just figure Jergal wasn't entirely unaffected either and is a unique undead) and this Tear allowed him to subtly communicate with whoever held it.

That's how he influenced the early necro shaman kings of Netheril (slightly irked I had to rewrite my early netheril to fit those in) and why Aumvor/the Lichking from How the Mighty Are Fallen (Aumvor is also the canon possessor of the Tear of Ascore) because Jergal kept him as insurance in case any of the candidates and Netheril turned against him.

So Karsus tries to cast his spell to stop the phaerimm and Jergal (separately). Arthindol tries to stop Jergal (but manipulates his lich brethren to do it for him). The phaerimm try to stop Jergal. Aumvor tries to stop Karsus and Arthindol with an army of undead. Cue big fights all over Netheril and a huge messed up Code of Reversion that leads to the death of the candidates and Jergal becoming some monstrous merged sentience that looks a lot like a sharn. Or at least that's how I'm working it.

I've wanted to rewrite Netheril for years and George finally filled in enough of the blanks to allow me to do it. Three cheers for George.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  13:37:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,
I was wondering about the surname of Ioulaum Halargoth, i was wondering if it had any connection to a familial estate on the edges of the High Moor.

If so then thats excellent because i had already linked Ioulaum to dragons (one of his many obsessions) through the Book of the World/the Book of the Dragon and i'm working on having the Archwizards each found newer noble houses that gradually replace the old noble houses (of tribal/clan origin).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  03:43:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Hi George,
I was wondering about the surname of Ioulaum Halargoth, i was wondering if it had any connection to a familial estate on the edges of the High Moor.

I did use Orogoth as a template re the surname, but wasn't intending to make a connection between the two. The name has no significance other than me wanting to give the guy a surname. Feel free to make any connections you like.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  20:51:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, cheers George. Your naming is inspired, and it inspired me to do the same.

I see no harm in linking the Archwizards to noble houses. After all each Archwizard may have had children at some point and those descendants would want respect according to the station of their ancestor (who may still be alive).

Of course I've got a very complicated interaction between Netheril and the Archwizards (since I made the Archwizards and the enclaves a separate entity from Netheril), but at some point I had the rulers of the Empire replaced by arcanists so the arcanists become the new nobles and House Orogoth definitely sounds like a noble family (then there is House Nemrin of Anauria so the practice might have continued).

So I had the children of Archwizards become the new nobility that gradually replaced the tribal nobility of Netheril's history. It adds an extra layer that ties the Archwizards to the region rather than seeing them rush off to the far corners of the world.

Of course then I had to make the Archwizards sterile to stop the Houses becoming enormouse, but that's what longevity magics are for.

Anyways, thanks again for the excellent Jergal article, I'm up to the Silver and Golden Age now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  11:49:49  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally had time to re-read your pieces on the Yuirwood, think about them and read your new work on Ilmatari saints.

First off: everything is awesome, thanks a lot for your continued contribution to the Realms.

Now on the Yuirwood:
- what was the "behind closed doors" reaction (if there ever was any) of the other Star Elven clans to the Night of Bloodstones and its aftermath?
- do you think the major clans you cited (Lamavarith, Hualarydnym, Marintraal and Ralandraar) survived to the late 1370s or may have been swept away by the nilshai threat or other causes in their 2 millenia long isolation?
- is there someone among elven communities (Evermeet, Sildeyuir, ecc...) who knows how events played out in the Yuirwood of old? Judging by The Simbul's Gift the elves from Evermeet know something about the whole mess, is there someone among the surviving Star Elves that knows about all the treachery? What about descendants of the realm of Larlotha?
- anything you can share about Myth Tarranvar?
- the drows that plagued the Yuirwood are those from Undrek'Thoz or come from other smaller clans/settlements?

On the Ilmatari Saints:
- are there specific monk/knightly orders associated with St. Irimae the Requited and St. Shaleen the Unyielding or just clerics of Ilmater with some special options due to their devotion to these individual saints? Speaking in 3E terms, i can see a sisterhood of Knight-of-the-Chalice-like Ilmatari paladins/monks dedicated to St. Irimae or a special order of Inquisitors worshiping St. Shaleen.
- do you have a name or three to spare for saints of Loviatar, Lurue and Sharess? Any stray backstory or descriptive bit would be treasured.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  08:26:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
St Persaadon the Seascourge

Symbol: Two blue cresting waves to the sinister with scarlet tips
Center of Worship: Monastery of the Fire Lily
Domain: Tempest

Certainly the most unique of Ilmater's Sacred Sisters, Persaadon was a triton female who chafed against the patriarchal society she was born into. She dreamed of becoming a warrior maiden like the famous Jhimar, the triton founder of the Jhimari Order of the Dukars, but was rebuffed by her male caste elders who would not countenance her training to become a warrior (it should be noted that in ages past all triton Dukars changed their names to end with -r, setting aside the conservative triton naming conventions that required all male triton names to end in -s and all females to end in -n). In her anger and frustration, Persaadon fled the safety of the Vuuvax Protectorate and took to the open waters to the north, encountering other folk of the sea for the first time, notably the enigmatic sharlarin.

As the years passed, Persaadon became a hidden protector of the sharlarin and locathah tribes of the Po'ioa Plateau and east into the Easting Reach and was known to the sharlarin as "Po'Tapal" (or the "protecting tapal" in their tongue). In the Year of Dark Stalking (989 DR) Persaadon ran afoul of the drow of Lyrathil and their vodyanoi servitors and was captured and enslaved by the dark elves. There in the slave dungeons of that dark elf settlement Persaadon met the human priest Elbrathar of Ilmater, who used his spells from the Crying God to heal the tortured and wounded and tend to the needs of the sick and infirm. Elbrathar taught Persaadon to master her emotions and control the fury that rose in her at her captivity, seeing to it that she lived rather than be slain by the cruel drow for her resistance. He instilled in Persaadon the need for endurance, the strength to do so and above all, a sense of duty to protect the weak and to ease the suffering of others. Over time and with the aid and encouragement of the ageing Elbrathar, Persaadon came to the faith of the Broken One and was received into his priesthood.

Some ten or so winters later, the aged Elbrathar was killed by drow overseers for his inability to work in the fungus farms, kelp beds and blackshell pools that fed the community. The devastated Persaadon escaped her captors within a moon, guided by dream visions from the Crying God, and travelled north into the Easting Reach, finding a home in the sea caves near Sarshel. It was there that Persaadon came to the attention of the people of Impiltur who lived in the coastal villages on the western shore of the Easting Reach. She spent her days and nights saving the drowning from shipwrecks, providing warnings when scrag and koalinth raiders were massing and thwarting pirate raiders. Her activities soon brought her renown in the Church of Ilmater and a small beachside shrine to the Crying God was established south of Sarshel where pilgrims could come and worship Ilmater and every full moon receive a homily from the "Blue Lady" as some of the faith came to call her.

Persaadon met her end in the Year of the Roaring Tempest (1019 DR) when she shattered the pirate flotilla known as the Brotherhood of Salt and Steel in the coastal seas off Dilpur. Her roused fury at their slaving and pillaging throughout the lands of the Reach over the course of a summer season saw her send six, fully-crewed pirate rakers to the depths but not before fell magic laid her low. Her body was never found, but her unique tapal carved from the thighbone of a merrow washed up on shore near her shrine and was taken up in reverence by Moraun, priest of Ilmater and one of the foremost Hands of Suffering of that day (at that time, the Hands of Suffering were Ilmater's anointed champions, roving the lands of the Inner Sea and the Sword Coast and spreading his teachings to all). When Ilmater sent dream visions to the faithful to pronounce Persaadon's ascension to the ranks of his "blessed", a monastery was built at that site which remains there to this day, the tapal on display in the Scarred Sanctum as her only relic.

Devotion to St Persaadon is strong in the city of Sarshel and the surrounding environs, with many clergy of the Crying God taking her as their patron saint. For many years priests dedicated to St Persaadon have been co-opted into the Warsails of Impiltur, that realm's navy, in recognition of their unique magical ability among the priesthood. The flagship of the Warsails, known colloquially as "Rilaunyr's Warship" for its master, but named more properly as Darthorn's Fist, numbers twelve priests dedicated to Ilmater and St Persaadon among its crew.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Jan 2016 12:01:32
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  21:44:55  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And yes, the Ilythiiri corrupted many elves ... as you will see ... and a few other races ... as you will also see.

Did we ever see? and if we did where? thanks in advance!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  19:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, you've outdone yourself with St. Persaadon. You make me want to go and reread Sea of Fallen Stars to remind myself what I've forgotten from writing it. ;)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  20:00:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

George, you've outdone yourself with St. Persaadon. You make me want to go and reread Sea of Fallen Stars to remind myself what I've forgotten from writing it. ;)

Thanks Steven. I had to do this write-up to sort out the reference to clerics of Poseidon in FR9 (ick!) and to do a little fix on how triton names are derived. Jhimar the female triton should have been "Jhiman" based on SoFS, but I think my dukar naming angle works fine.

Always loved SoFS - in my view your most amazing FR work. Still so much in there that makes me say "wow"!

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Aug 2015 20:00:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  21:27:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great lore, George.

And as for SoFS, I've always looked at it as an under-appreciated 7th 'sub-setting'. Still part of the Greater Realms, but doing its 'own thing'. Those tomes rank right up there with Eric Boyd's 'god books' and Ed's 'Pages/Prayers'. Truly a great era in FR history.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Aug 2015 21:32:01
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2015 :  09:28:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I didn't spot the link between Poseidon and persaddan, nice bit of work.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dante76
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2015 :  15:36:58  Show Profile Send Dante76 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

thanks for your highly inspirational and creative ideas of Impiltur so far that being said I do have some questions for you. Any musings are welcomed.
I have been thinking of running a campaign during the Fiend Wars (729-732). Makes the whole concept of Impiltur being a demon-infested pit of vileness infernally more attractive
I have a rough idea about the specific stages of the campaign. One is to join the crusade when it is proclaimed. You stated that Sarshel called for a crusade to defeat the demon plague and he sailed with a "crusader fleet" to Impiltur. From where would he have left? Chondath? I think I need a realm where the Triad was featured prominently in the Realms and was close to Impiltur, so I do not think that Tethyr is a good choice.
Would you say that other non-evil faiths send there priests, warriors, paladins etc. to join the crusade? Or was it a Triad matter?

Any other musings, thoughts, ideas concerning this time period would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance and...

cheers,
Dante

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2015 :  13:41:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dante76

Greetings,

thanks for your highly inspirational and creative ideas of Impiltur so far that being said I do have some questions for you. Any musings are welcomed.
I have been thinking of running a campaign during the Fiend Wars (729-732). Makes the whole concept of Impiltur being a demon-infested pit of vileness infernally more attractive
I have a rough idea about the specific stages of the campaign. One is to join the crusade when it is proclaimed. You stated that Sarshel called for a crusade to defeat the demon plague and he sailed with a "crusader fleet" to Impiltur. From where would he have left? Chondath? I think I need a realm where the Triad was featured prominently in the Realms and was close to Impiltur, so I do not think that Tethyr is a good choice.
Would you say that other non-evil faiths send there priests, warriors, paladins etc. to join the crusade? Or was it a Triad matter?

Any other musings, thoughts, ideas concerning this time period would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance and...

cheers,
Dante

The call of the Triad Crusade went out in the Year of the Purloined Throne (727 DR), seeing many paladins and holy warriors gather in traditional strongholds of the faith throughout Tethyr and the Vilhon Reach. Through 729 DR these paladins individually, in groups and even small armies travelled west and north to Cormyr and Chondathan respectively. King Draxius of Cormyr sped them on their way, providing shipping and mounts (some say in return for even more longevity magics) and similarly, Triad gold saw more ships found in the Sembian ports to transport the host across the Dragonreach to first Procampur, then Tsurlagol and then the coast on the western fringes of Impiltur. The crusaders gathered troops and supplies along the way, especially at their last two stops, and by the time they arrived in Impiltur proper, the army numbered somewhere in the order of 8000 swords.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2015 :  19:35:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another excellent piece to add to my archive of George lore.

I was going to mention something about Sarshel but can no longer access my archives from work.

It looks like Sarshel took part in the war against the yugoloth army invading Myth Drannor. Specifically the Battle of Snowsblood Trail and the Battle of Standing Stone's Blood. The writeup of Dornavver in Champions of Valor (I think) places him there as part of a ragtag army of dalesfolk and cormyrian warriors (organised by one Mindal Rowanmantle).

I don't know if this got him King Draxius' good books, or whether it influenced those of Sembia and the Dales towards him (and thus provide more aid upon his return in 729 DR), but it probably didn't hurt his call to arms (the Sembians might have even given him a discount for the ships, which lets face it is like getting blood out of a stone).

Awesome lore again George. I particularly love the Chasme hive, and the fact that your major NPCs in the city are not all super powered heroes and take more after the older edition write-ups where level 10 was for the truly exceptional, level 3-5 was for those of good skill, and everyone else was level 0 or 1.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2015 :  03:40:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, friend Krash! I particularly like Soargar Steelorm, and the two Cliff Ways.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  02:01:43  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again I am floored George. All I initially wanted was just a few little factoids about the four cities because I wanted my players to appreciate them more than they do most cities. Thank you George; it's stuff like this that keeps what I loved about the Realms alive.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  10:00:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to be encouraged Lukas, and you do a fine job of it. Sarshel in the works. Hopefully it won't be too long. The Realms is what we make it.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  06:23:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this in another thread but thought it should have a home here as well.

With the re-establishment of Impiltur, the Heltharn ruling family of the kingdom occupies the top tier of the nobility. After that there are several ranks of noble titles as set out below.

Title (in common) - Title (in Damaran)
King/Queen - Riar/Riara
Prince/Princess - Thilas/Thilassa
Duke/Duchess - Hertar/Hertala
Marquess/Marchioness - Vaerar/Vaerala
Count/Countess - Serdar/Serdassa
Baron/Baroness - Edlar/Edlassa
Knight - Orn (pl. Ornar)
Regent - Ranal
Consort - Add prefix “Al”
Queen Regent - Riaranal
Lord/Lady - Dar/Darla

Only the direct succession of the Heltharn family (i.e. Sambryl, daughter of Rilimbrar and Imbrar II from the line of Verimlaun, son of Imphras II) use the titles of king/queen and prince/princess.

The remainder of the Heltharn royal family use the duke/duchess title exclusively for members of the Lords of Imphras II and “heads” of the various Heltharn lines (i.e. the patriarchs/matriarchs of those families descended from that monarch).

The most senior (in terms of age and/or influence) noble families in Impiltur use the title marquess/marchioness on ceremonial or formal occasions. Their holdings are known generally as “marches” and depending on the size of the area can come to denote a region of the realm. The families that hold such a title are noted as the “old guard” families in the list below.

The less senior noble families use the title count/countess on ceremonial or formal occasions. Their holdings are known generally as “counties” and depending on the size of the area can come to denote a region of the realm.

Those individuals that are raised to the nobility but not granted a hereditary title to be passed on to their progeny use the title baron/baroness on ceremonial or formal occasions. The term “barony” is used for their holdings but very rarely used as a geographic descriptor for Impiltur.

Knighthoods in Impiltur are granted to individuals and are not hereditary. If an individual with an existing noble title that is not a baronetcy (i.e. a marquess or count) is made a knight, then they are differentiated by use of the title “orn” [“saer” in common] instead of their normal noble title. Non-noble individuals granted a knighthood are known as “loyal knights” [“elorn”/”elornar” (pl.)] but commonly use the “orn” title save on ceremonial occasions or for specific legal reasons.

For all spouses and children of the nobility and spouses of loyal knights, the term of address is simply lord/lady.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  03:41:49  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting George. I appreciate how you go through and explain things about each set of titles as well. I actually wanted to ask about something like this seemingly years ago, but I didn't know how to phrase it and apparently moved on to other things.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  05:17:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Very interesting George. I appreciate how you go through and explain things about each set of titles as well. I actually wanted to ask about something like this seemingly years ago, but I didn't know how to phrase it and apparently moved on to other things.

Well, you seem to be my audience of one Lukas so I'm glad that it's useful.

Sarshel soon.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  08:25:56  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Audience of one, ha. There's at least two of us.

I read, I said "Yes!" and started gleefully adding it to my hoard, and then I saw something out of the corner of my eye... ooh, shiny... ooh, shiny... and the trail led away, marching and chanting with dwarves, baking cookies with halflings, and so forth. This happens every time I read your lore... I see it, I love it, I follow it, and I forget to comment on it. Could it be true that the best writers are cursed to rarely receive much-deserved praise? Or maybe it's my ADHD. In any case, thank you, and here's hoping that every realm gets similarly devoted fans!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  08:35:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three with me as well, just super busy lately.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  17:54:28  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your "Answers from ..." file is the second biggest on my PC (with Mr. Greenwood a distant first) and i treasure every word you type. Life has me in "lurking mode" right now, with barely enough time to keep up with the posts here, but i look forward to anything your creativity brews.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  19:48:07  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're an awesome loremaster George and one of my favorites! I'm not well versed in Impiltur, but I can talk dwarf shop all day! In fact, the other day I was thinking about Telantiwar, its fall and the dwarves reclaiming the Great Rift area. Even with the drow scattering, there had to be some outrageous campaigns of fighting between the Stout Folk and the Dark Ones and quite a bit of untold history.

Dwarves Deep mentions drow kingdoms rising and falling several times, so I imagine it's been an ongoing issue in one form or another. And where are all these drow coming from that entire kingdoms of them can rise and fall (escapees from Llurth Dreier?)? Maybe a portion of Telantiwar has survived somewhere deep? Just a few things I've been bouncing around in my head. Of course since this happened so long ago, maybe that's why it was never developed more. Taark Shanat and his crusade, and the history of Shanatar (wars with Guallidurth, the Deepspawn wars, the loss of Clan Duergar etc.) would good fun one too.

Love the Keep, so many of our favorite designers frequent here. And like many others I look forward to anything you create. WotC should be paying you guys and buying the lore you create to so its put into print form.
Go to Top of Page

JPDeed
Acolyte

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2015 :  13:50:17  Show Profile Send JPDeed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm generally quiet, but I listen well. Your consistency and logical placement of history and facts in a world that could so easily go mad with ludicrous nonsense in the hands of a lesser able craftsperson is appreciated.

Plus, you're in Australia. I have recently moved from Perth to Singapore and miss the blue skies and 9 month summer. But I still have a game to Dm here now and use Pathfinder nowadays to mould the realms - and your info fits into any system neatly.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2015 :  17:29:42  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

In fact, the other day I was thinking about Telantiwar, its fall and the dwarves reclaiming the Great Rift area. Even with the drow scattering, there had to be some outrageous campaigns of fighting between the Stout Folk and the Dark Ones and quite a bit of untold history.

I, also, am interested as to what our loremaster have to say on the ensuing shenanigans, but won't expect great wars.
Think about it. Sure, immediately after the fall, there had to be surviving "strays" - caravans, long-range patrols and suchlike, but they had their own problems and most probably tried to reach the unaffected drow settlements. There had to be some scavenging, but beyond that...
It's quite likely that the dwarves returned while the bulk of survivors (that is, "exodus" drow) were still busy securing (externally and internally!) their new domains.
And once all the dust settled, it was down to the usual skirmishes.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2015 :  15:15:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Well, you seem to be my audience of one Lukas so I'm glad that it's useful.

Sarshel soon.

-- George Krashos

Make that two. thank you.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2015 :  05:18:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just posted this is another thread and thought it should have a home here as well:

Just to clarify, Impiltur is not a feudal realm. The ownership of all lands by the Crown and their selected nobles was abandoned with the fall of the kingdom in the Fiend Wars. To attract population in the aftermath of that horrendous affair, King Sarshel granted land to non-nobles and new nobles alike and much of the Uplands was available to be claimed by those simply strong enough to hold it - as long as they gave due deference to the throne. Individuals such as Arbarras "the Lord of the Greenfields" and the self-styled "Highmaster" Lamanter Bowthorn found out swiftly that the kingdom of Impiltur was still just that, and their attempts to dominate the Uplands and carve out quasi-realms of their own with "Lyrabar far away" were met with swift action by the Elethlims.

The references to "marches", "counties" and "baronies" reflects some old world terminology but describe only the actual lands owned by that particular noble family. No nobles rule anything unless they are also a Royal Constable or Royal Herald of the realm. Occasionally, senior nobles can be pressed into such service at the behest of the Lords of Imphras II (for example if an area is declared to be under "daggerbond" [our equivalent of "martial law"]) but this is rare. They often function as advisers to the local authorities however.

Local government as we know it doesn't really exist in Impiltur as there are roving Constables and Heralds who do a set circuit (i.e. the village of Harland in the foothills of the Earthspurs, southeast of Tower Ithfell has a visit from the Royal Constable every month or so, usually with a Royal Herald in tow - the husband and wife team Gelimbrar "the Darksword" Olim and Alarna Olim are one such roving Constable and Herald combination, whose area encompasses the villages from the shores of Bluefang Water north and west to the mountains near the High Pass into Damara) and check in to settlements to ensure that the peace is being kept and disputes dealt with. Most settlements do have an elder or head man/woman who people naturally defer to if a decision affecting the community needs to be made (i.e. assisting with harvests, dealing with blight or animal sickness quarantines, fighting bandits/raiders, etc.) but they wield no legal authority. However the smarter roving Royal Constables and Heralds have a network of such elders/ head people they communicate with regularly so as not to cause any friction or personality clashes.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000