Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  08:05:16  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Has it ever been explained why Ed uses a proxy, in The Hooded One, to field questions here? Is it just meant to help filter out the fluff and back-and-forth that goes on between us scribes, for simplification and time-saving purposes, or what?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  08:34:10  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message
As I understand it, it's because Ed's internet simply isn't up to the task of loading the forum. This could be old news, though -- I've been reading through the old So Saith Ed collections, so it could be from one of those.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  11:13:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yet another question... In the real world, if a year includes February 29th, it's a Leap Year. Is there any special designation for years that include Shieldmeet?

I think Ed's covered this one before. While I was collating some past replies over the weekend, I came across something like this.

I'll have to check.

I searched my own files and didn't find anything...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  11:16:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Has it ever been explained why Ed uses a proxy, in The Hooded One, to field questions here? Is it just meant to help filter out the fluff and back-and-forth that goes on between us scribes, for simplification and time-saving purposes, or what?

As Sandro says, Ed's internet connection is rather sad. He's not in an area where high-speed is available (at least, not for a reasonable amount), and he's also got a lot of demands on his time. So our lovely Lady Hooded One wanders our halls, and passes questions and such to him.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  15:01:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I searched my own files and didn't find anything...

Yeah. I mistook it for a Shieldmeet-specific reply from Ed back in '05.

Carry on.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  15:04:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

As Sandro says, Ed's internet connection is rather sad. He's not in an area where high-speed is available (at least, not for a reasonable amount), and he's also got a lot of demands on his time. So our lovely Lady Hooded One wanders our halls, and passes questions and such to him.
Yes, time is one of the major issues Ed faces when it comes to internet usage, as I recall. Plus, if he were to engage full-force on the web, he'd have little time to work on the Realmslore -- because there'd likely be near-infinite demands on his online time.

Ain't that right, milady Hooded One?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  17:15:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
That's right, Sage.
I represent Ed here at the Keep largely because I dragged him into responding at all. For the same reason he visits Facebook seldom: tech issues (Ed can only SEE Facebook at his day job high-speed work computers; he tells me that Flash issues simply crash his browsers at home when he tries to access it, on his connection - - he is using the most up-to-date Safari and Firefox and IE browsers that can run on his Net-connected computers...and what does load, loads v-e-r-y slowly; he simply can't watch any YouTube or any other streaming video) and time.
It's probably worth reminding all scribes, who may wonder why their queries haven't been answered yet, that Ed has a day job (with 65-mile roundtrip commute; nothing like the 220 miles he used to do, but still...). And lives in a rural area, in an aging house that requires lots of maintenance. He does a lot of the cooking and housework, all of the shopping and errands, is chair of his local library board (with all the volunteer work that entails), and writes at least two full-length novels and an average of a dozen short stories a year, plus two dozen web articles, writing or co-writing one or two full-length game products, and provide frequent design and/or editorial assistance "behind the scenes" (both paid and unpaid).
In short, he's busier than any two "Type-A" businessmen you may know, or about three of most of the rest of us. As well as being a generous and loyal guy who's "there" for his friends whenever he can manage to be, helping out seniors in his community and all the rest of it...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  23:16:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Wow.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  02:25:36  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Yes, you have it folks. Ed is undoubtedly Lawful Good. Perhaps with a few paladin levels (at least enough pally levels so as to grant him divine grace and aura of courage...)

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  06:30:32  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Greetings Ed, LHO, and fellow scribes!

I've another set of questions, this time from Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters. For those who have not read the book, SPOILERS!!

In Alustriel's chapter, regarding the dead-magic area in the Red Griffon Room, who did the actual enlarging of the "spell shadow"? Was it one of the mages of Labraster's cycle, another Red Wizard, or did Halaster specifically take charge of that, possibly with backing by Shar and her Shadow Weave?

More generally, how does one grow a magic-dead area without utilizing the Shadow Weave? It seems like one of those activities Mystra and Azuth are particularly vigilant for and would take direct action against. I remember a tidbit of lore regarding Elminster enlarging a wild-magic area through repeated meteor swarm spells during the Time of Troubles, and instances of dead-magic areas being created when the Weave was strained past the breaking point, but never enlarging an existing one.

Thanks Ed and LHO!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2010 :  02:30:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh, PDK, I'm thinking Ed's more CHAOTIC Good. He likes rules and order, as a concept, but has often noted that even those paid and trained to uphold laws and rules often don't do so without breaking such laws and rules themselves...and he is suspicious of most of the systems of "order" (as in: those on top 'order' things so as to benefit themselves and keep themselves on top, not necessarily for any more virtuous motives).
Being part of an organization that's supposed to work for the good of us all, and woring in it with my brain functioning and my eyes open, I can't really argue with either of the above-stated Ed concerns, either.
Right now, Ed is happily polishing off a short story (writing, of course, not reading). Then, he tells me, he has to make soup.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  18:30:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Day One of the Twelve Days of Ed

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  18:34:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh, PDK, I'm thinking Ed's more CHAOTIC Good. He likes rules and order, as a concept, but has often noted that even those paid and trained to uphold laws and rules often don't do so without breaking such laws and rules themselves...and he is suspicious of most of the systems of "order" (as in: those on top 'order' things so as to benefit themselves and keep themselves on top, not necessarily for any more virtuous motives).
Being part of an organization that's supposed to work for the good of us all, and woring in it with my brain functioning and my eyes open, I can't really argue with either of the above-stated Ed concerns, either.
Right now, Ed is happily polishing off a short story (writing, of course, not reading). Then, he tells me, he has to make soup.
love to all,
THO

Is it just me or did THO make chaotic good sound synonomous with Canadian? (at least like everyone I have met!)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  23:08:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, he did, didn't he?
Heh. Reminds me of Garrison Keillor's, "Hi, I'm from Minnesota. The state full of people ALMOST good enough to be Canadian."

Ahem. Hello, all.
A very interesting and fun little feature has just debuted over on the WotC boards, spearheaded by intrepid editor (sorry, editrix) Susan Morris, wherein she gets many of the current Wizards authors (including Ed) to answer questions, on a weekly basis. This first one is on what they'd do the deal with the zombie apocalypse, when it arrives...
Amusing fun; check it out, as they say...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Feb 2010 23:12:01
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  00:34:53  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Can you give any info on Sulasspryn? Is it still a chasm in the year 1372-73?
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  10:42:21  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
So our lovely Lady Hooded One wanders our halls, and passes questions and such to him.

And let's admit it, we wouldn't want to miss the Lady...

Hmm. Ed sounds more like Neutral Good. The best kind of good! The type we have lots of in the Netherlands (though we also have a lot of Lawful Evil, a.k.a. bureaucrats) ;)

And for the lazy people, here is what our FR authors would do during the Zombie Apocalypse:

http://community.wizards.com/wotc_vetanda/blog/2010/02/01/fr_authors_speak:_the_zombie_apocalypse

(and I also provided my own answer to that question)

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  13:43:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Day 2 with Ed!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  16:00:17  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Hmmm... Lhaeo (Elminster's THO, so to speak, but less ehr... hot). Is he still alive?
I don't think he is (have so far used someone else), but I may be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  16:17:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Hmmm... Lhaeo (Elminster's THO, so to speak, but less ehr... hot). Is he still alive?
You mean post-Spellplague?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  18:24:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Can you give any info on Sulasspryn? Is it still a chasm in the year 1372-73?

Sulasspryn (at least it's ruins) are visited (shorty) in Rich Baker's Corsair, but that is in year 1479.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  18:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Which Lhaeo, actually? The first one, who left to be King of Tethyr, or the second?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  19:18:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
createvmind, Ed tells me:

In the 1370s, Sulasspryn is still a ruin, sporadically inhabited by salvagers and hunters "camping out" in the ruins. Not to mention monsters and brigands preying on them, and the occasional caravan or prospectors' packtrain sheltering from fierce storms.

So saith Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  20:37:22  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yes.... and I didnt know there were two?
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  22:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Yes. The first one was actually Prince Haedrak of Tethyr, who was hidden there to protect him from his enemies. Lhaeo is a anagram for his full name 'Haedrak Errilam Alemander Olosar Lhorik' (first letters of each name in no order). he was replaced by another one, so there would be no suspicions regarding his identity. I quote from 'Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr' (Haedrak - the first Lhaeo - is the Narrator): "Within the passing of five tendays, we found you a replacement scribe of the ability and temerity to suit your household. While it was an indignity, you chose to weave an illusion about the scribe, so 'Lhaeo' remains your scribe to this day."

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 02 Feb 2010 22:16:01
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  22:40:54  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Posted - 02 Feb 2010 : 19:18:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi again, all.
createvmind, Ed tells me:

In the 1370s, Sulasspryn is still a ruin, sporadically inhabited by salvagers and hunters "camping out" in the ruins. Not to mention monsters and brigands preying on them, and the occasional caravan or prospectors' packtrain sheltering from fierce storms.

So saith Ed.
love,
THO

Thanks for fast reply, exactly where it is located (30 miles between here and there) and does one climb down into it or has it filled in over the years, has the upper dark been connected to it since its collapse?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  23:41:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes.... and I didnt know there were two?

Ed has actually talked a little about the "current" Lhaeo in previous replies here at Candlekeep. Specifically, see the '04 files in the "So Saith Ed" archive.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  07:07:58  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
In the Menzoberranzan [Boxed Set] (M[BS]), the third book, "The House Do'Urden Retrospective" ("THDUR"), doesn't seem to say who wrote it. Any ideas who put that together?

I'm trying to give Bob his credit in my chronology where it's due, without stepping on other authors' toes in the process.

[EDIT:] Also, while I'm at it, what was the publishing month for the set? The copyright page only says "1992".

I was trying to place it in relation to Bob's novel The Legacy (TL; SEP-1992). Since the "THDUR" cites events and even quotes passages from TL as a then-recent interrelated book, clearly they would've had to have been published around the same time.

Amazon lists the M[BS] twice: once in <JAN-1992>, and once in <DEC-1992>. December would make more sense, given the connections with the novel TL.

EDIT: The Keep lists it as OCT-1992 <here>. That jibes even better with a SEP-1992 date for The Legacy.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 06 Feb 2010 08:41:21
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  12:26:34  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Not much on Lhaeo really, something about a web article, did that ever get published?

A question of a different kind then.
I have need for an sagely expert on alchemy in Marsember.
I was considering Amthur Ondamus, importer of medicines, or one of his descendants.
Does anyone know where he is detailed? Race, etc?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  14:59:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Not much on Lhaeo really, something about a web article, did that ever get published?
Aye. 'Twas to be a "Realmslore" article as I recall. But no, it never was officially included as part of that online article series at WotC. Which is unfortunate.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  15:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I'm obviously neither Ed nor THO, but I dimly remember from GenCon discussions that Ed did the master map for Menzo and all of the text EXCEPT the material in one of the booklets (done by RAS and a co-writer), which probably was the House Retro. Ed, I'm sure, will remember.
As for the "replacement Lhaeo," I remember a GenCon seminar in which it was said (by Ed, with TSR/WotC staffers sitting right beside him who nodded rather than contradicting him), that it was a young female mage, on the run from something and nedding to hide just as the "first Lhaeo" had needed to hide, who stepped into impersonating Lhaeo, magically altering her appearance to do so.
Ed? THO?
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000