Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:18:26  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine

I'm currently in my first 'Elaine Cunningham FR novels rush'. and from what I have seen so far, it will not be my last! So first of all, congratulation (and thank you) for all those wonderful, colorful and enjoyable characters, It is not often that I find myself so caught up with the struggles and events in a character's life like those presented in your books. Liriel is incredibly interesting, because of everything she says, and most of all, everything she keeps for herself. Even Fyodor, whom I first thought to be just another good-looking barbarian with not much to say, is very deep. At the end of Tangled Webs, to avoid spoilers lets just say I went through many emotions in the last 2 chapters!

Now, an actual question; I'm about half-way through Wind Walker, and Liriel and Fyodor just had a very interesting encounter with Qilue in the Promenade. I was very surprised by Qilue's reaction to Lolth's manifestation, and how she lashed out at Liriel for having embraced the Spider Queen in the recent past. Shouldn't she be used to have former priestesses of Lolth in her rank? Isn't it a goal for the Dark Maiden's followers to accept and forgive those who were caught up in Lolth's web of lies?

If the answer is; just finish the book and you'll see! Then sorry about that! It was just a very unexpected reaction.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  16:59:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Hi Elaine

I'm currently in my first 'Elaine Cunningham FR novels rush'. and from what I have seen so far, it will not be my last! So first of all, congratulation (and thank you) for all those wonderful, colorful and enjoyable characters, It is not often that I find myself so caught up with the struggles and events in a character's life like those presented in your books. Liriel is incredibly interesting, because of everything she says, and most of all, everything she keeps for herself. Even Fyodor, whom I first thought to be just another good-looking barbarian with not much to say, is very deep. At the end of Tangled Webs, to avoid spoilers lets just say I went through many emotions in the last 2 chapters!

Now, an actual question; I'm about half-way through Wind Walker, and Liriel and Fyodor just had a very interesting encounter with Qilue in the Promenade. I was very surprised by Qilue's reaction to Lolth's manifestation, and how she lashed out at Liriel for having embraced the Spider Queen in the recent past. Shouldn't she be used to have former priestesses of Lolth in her rank? Isn't it a goal for the Dark Maiden's followers to accept and forgive those who were caught up in Lolth's web of lies?

If the answer is; just finish the book and you'll see! Then sorry about that! It was just a very unexpected reaction.

Hi, Kilvan! Thanks for the kind words. I'm delighted to hear that you're enjoying Liriel's story.

Qilue's reaction might be surprising, but it's based on several reasons:
  • Just because someone is Good (allignment), it doesn't follow that they are PERFECT. Like any other mortal, Qilue is subject to moments of intense emotion and is guilty of the occasional outburst.
  • Qilue is devoted to helping people, but she had a reason to go above and beyond for Liriel. When Fyodor told her that he saw her dancing in the moonlight with Liriel, Qilue realized that what Fyodor saw was a manifestation of Eilistraee and a sign of the goddess's favor. Qilue is a priestess of Eilistraee. While it might not be ideal, it is not uncommon for a devotee to experience a surge of righteous wrath at the blasphemy/betrayal of someone they considered a fellow devotee.
  • Qilue suffered a devastating personal loss in the battle that occurred near the end of Daughter of the Drow. It was her choice to aid Liriel and she wouldn't hold this death against the younger drow. But imagine how she must have felt when she heard that Liriel had recently displayed signs of Lloth's particular favor and attention. To a grieving drow, her outburst could be perceived as a reaction to the thought, "...and for THIS (name deleted for spoiler reasons) died?"

Hope that helps! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Windwalker. Some readers liked it, some really hated the ending. Please don't be hesitant to express your opinion, positive or negative. And yes, I do have a reason for asking.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  17:57:52  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case anyone is looking for print copies of some of Elaine's older works, here are:

Daughter of the Drow and;

Tangled Webs.

(Both with the hideous original covers.)

Edit: Fixed link for Tangled Webs.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 03 Oct 2011 18:44:55
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  18:27:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

In case anyone is looking for print copies of some of Elaine's older works, here are:

Tangled Webs.

Ha! Sad, but true.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  01:24:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Tangled Webs.

Ha! Sad, but true.

Eh. I liked the cover for Tangled Webs, if only because of the illithid. There are so few decent images of this race out there in print, that I tend to treasure each and every instance that I find one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  01:34:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Tangled Webs.

Ha! Sad, but true.

Eh. I liked the cover for Tangled Webs, if only because of the illithid. There are so few decent images of this race out there in print, that I tend to treasure each and every instance that I find one.

I just couldn't get past the mammalian accoutrements. Yes, the illithid's psionic "voice" had a feminine vibe, but seriously, boobs on a squid?

You've already heard my "Flayin' Alive" story, so I won't repeat that one. It's been a while, though, since I remembered thinking that I should have named the creature "Illthid Thexth."

My apologies to readers who might actually be afflicted with a lisp.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  03:40:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just couldn't get past the mammalian accoutrements. Yes, the illithid's psionic "voice" had a feminine vibe, but seriously, boobs on a squid?
Artistic license, I'd presume. And, likely also, yet another example of images not quite matching up with previously established lore on a particular D&D element. Which, in this case, would be the perception of illithid physical attributes.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  03:58:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A webpost (blog) once a month? Hey I do better then that, after being given one a few years ago made maybe three - once a year maybe. There again not many appear to read it either. *S*

As to the real question, alas I rarely visit your site and my website design (such as it is) is 20th century, I have no advice to offer on how to improve a 21st century web page.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  12:37:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

A webpost (blog) once a month? Hey I do better then that, after being given one a few years ago made maybe three - once a year maybe. There again not many appear to read it either. *S*

As to the real question, alas I rarely visit your site and my website design (such as it is) is 20th century, I have no advice to offer on how to improve a 21st century web page.

I would vastly prefer people to read my books than my website, but an author website is an important part of the picture.

Post frequency is a much-debated topic. I'm cutting back on Sevrin lore at present, but I may post more than once a week, especially if that means a couple of short, related posts rather than one long one.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  17:55:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today is the ebook release of Dreams Spheres, book V of the Forgotten Realms Songs & Swords series. In this story, Danilo Thann and Arilyn Moonblade learn that the anti-elf bias of Waterdeep’s nobility has reached a new and deadly level. For more info, here’s a link to the Amazon.com page.

There’s a lot going on in this story–perhaps a bit too much. Readers are more divided in their opinions of this book than any of my other Realms stories, with the possible exception of Windwalker and its unconventional ending. Whatever your opinion, I’d love to hear your thoughts. If you prefer not to post in a public forum, drop me an email at elainecunningham@cox.net.

It’s great to see the backlist coming out in ebook format. I hope you’re enjoying revisiting old friends, or getting acquainted with “new” ones.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  18:14:42  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I can't wait to get to the end of Windwalker! I'll be frank, I'm pretty optimistic. Evermeet is next, then Dreams Sphere, and then I need to get my hands on those 'Counselors & Kings' novels.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  18:32:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you forgot the link, Elaine.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Spheres-Swords-Forgotten-ebook/dp/B005K98QN4

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  21:11:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think you forgot the link, Elaine.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Spheres-Swords-Forgotten-ebook/dp/B005K98QN4

Oops! Thanks, Wooly.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  17:05:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little Arthurian fiction today on www.elainecunningham.com. In "Knight of the Lake," a very young Lancelot learns the importance of music and magic

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 07 Oct 2011 18:49:01
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  18:42:05  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good, Mrs. Cunningham! Thank you for bringing us a bit of chivalry, song and magic.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2011 :  15:06:04  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just finished Wind Walker! SPOILERS AHEAD!

I can understand why some people might dislike the ending, since the characters were so likeable that everyone wished a happy ending. I have to say I saw it coming, with all the tips her grandmother gave away, and I wished I would be wrong. I wished Liriel and Fyodor a happy peaceful life, I really did, and I feared for their safety. I think it takes incredible writting talent to be able to make the reader feel so invested.

In the end, it was the same feeling I had with the ending of Blackstaff, which is my favorite FR novel. If they (Fyodor and Khelben) had to go, this was the right way to do it, both deaths were glorious. Oh and that last scene with Shakti. brilliant! Her take on the drow curse, uncontrolled hatred, it's simply brilliant.

So yes, I liked the book very much, I think it is my favorite of the trilogy, and I agree with the ending. Dream sphere is next!
Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  03:27:25  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Elaine. Can you provide please some additional information or bio about Ysolde. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2011 :  14:26:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manaeater

Hello Elaine. Can you provide please some additional information or bio about Ysolde. Thank you.

Hi, Manaeater.

I know that some FR authors interpret their contracts differently, but it's my understanding that FR authors are not to discuss or publish (which includes posting) any material that has not been approved and published by WotC.

The exception to this, obviously, is Ed Greenwood. Anything he says about the Realms is considered canon lore until/unless it is contradicted by something WotC publishes.

So, the bottom line here is that I really can't post additional material about FR characters. Background material, speculation about what characters might do, impromptu histories--all that is off limits.

It's true that I've not always followed this guideline, but contract language has changed over the years and I've adjusted accordingly.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

ec
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  12:04:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just learned that four more of my backlist Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for e-book release on December 27:

Thornhold (Songs & Swords, book 5)
The Counselors & Kings trilogy: The Magehound, The Floodgate, The Wizardwar
Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  20:24:36  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok,thank you Elaine.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  23:20:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe they will ebook reclaimsomething book that got canned???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  23:24:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

maybe they will ebook reclaimsomething book that got canned???

The only reason Reclamation was not published was that I couldn't finish it.

If a brilliant solution occurred to me and I was able to finish the story, I would definitely approach WotC about the possibility of publishing it direct-to-ebook.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  00:54:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well then I like everyone else, wish you well to find the brilliant ending....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  16:13:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a new Sevrin lore post on www.elainecunningham.com: "The Cat Tail Crusade." You KNEW there would be cats on Sevrin. It was only a matter of time before we heard from them.
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  16:21:28  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine

I loved the short ditty that you penned regarding the Dwarven maid looking for more than an "inch at a time", it really did make me chuckle.

I was hoping that you might provide some more!

I am currently planning a new twist in my campaign that involves a Dwarven clan in the Galena Mountains. I've always imagined the Dwarves to be far more boisterous and bawdy lot than most other races so i'd love some more songs!

Oh, by the way, thankyou for introducing my favorite Dark Elven character in the realms.. the sexy little Liriel
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  22:35:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Farrel!

Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with youf assessment of dwarves. It always seemed to me that they could throw one hell of a party if they set their minds to it, and when I think of a dwarven sense of humor, I think of a scene from a Star Trek (Next Generation? Voyager? I'm having a brain blip....) episode in which Commander Ryker visited a Klingon ship and attempted to fit in. When informed that two Klingon women were speculating on how well he might "endure them," Ryker replied, "One of them? Or both?" His quip was met with raucous and appreciative laughter. I often suspect that dwarves are much like Klingons, in that they present a tough, dour face to the world but when among their own, they have a boisterous sense of fun.

Now, back to dwarven songs. At present, I don't have any other lyrics, though I'm often tempted to adapt the Irish song "The Humours of Whiskey" for a dwarf's point of view. In all candor, it doesn't require much adaptation.

But in the near future there will be more dwarf songs, thanks to the presence of Hedvig, a female fighter from the Carmite dwarf race, in an upcoming Tales of Sevrin book. Hedvig is a lot of fun; in fact, if I had to make a list entitled "Characters With Whom I'd Most Like to Go Drinking," she'd rate pretty darn close to Danilo Thann.

quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

Hi Elaine

I loved the short ditty that you penned regarding the Dwarven maid looking for more than an "inch at a time", it really did make me chuckle.

I was hoping that you might provide some more!

I am currently planning a new twist in my campaign that involves a Dwarven clan in the Galena Mountains. I've always imagined the Dwarves to be far more boisterous and bawdy lot than most other races so i'd love some more songs!

Oh, by the way, thankyou for introducing my favorite Dark Elven character in the realms.. the sexy little Liriel

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 13 Oct 2011 22:37:36
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  22:45:46  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot Elaine

I'll keep checking your site, I loved The Cat Tail Crusade, it was different and very creative.

I've personally never used too many Dwarves in my campaigns but i've really come to appreciate their lore, mindset, and humour.

I think I need to Google The Humours of Whiskey...

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  23:27:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scottish singer Andy Stewart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RjxIcEmAA4

Lyrics: http://www.sing365.com/music/Lyric.nsf/The-Humours-Of-Whiskey-lyrics-Andy-M-Stewart/B311DA795F3A4B0448256FE20008EDFE
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  02:45:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's a new Sevrin lore post on www.elainecunningham.com: "The Cat Tail Crusade." You KNEW there would be cats on Sevrin. It was only a matter of time before we heard from them.

You've struck a chord with me, as I'm a great lover of cat-lore for most setting -- including Sevrin now.

Interestingly, you've also promoted me to wonder whether my cat -- Sibelius -- is, by chance, engaging in similar practices when, in the past, I've seen him in a "gathering" with other neighbourhood cats.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  02:49:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I think of a scene from a Star Trek (Next Generation? Voyager? I'm having a brain blip....) episode in which Commander Ryker visited a Klingon ship and attempted to fit in. When informed that two Klingon women were speculating on how well he might "endure them," Ryker replied, "One of them? Or both?" His quip was met with raucous and appreciative laughter. I often suspect that dwarves are much like Klingons, in that they present a tough, dour face to the world but when among their own, they have a boisterous sense of fun.
For reference purposes [and, also, because I'm a STAR TREK geek], the episode Elaine was referring to, is "A Matter of Honor" from The Next Generation -- Season 2.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000