Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  18:30:09  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

4. Does the Underdark connect to the other continents of Faerun under the seas?

Emphatic YES.

Ed will, of course, provide better/fuller answers.
love,
THO

OOPS! I meant Toril, not Faerun, like would the Underdark beneath Toril connect with the Underdark beneath say Maztica? My bad. Had to type fast...twins are going nuts today.

Thanks for the fast responses.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  18:47:48  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
QUESTION:
And now for a question, because someone mentioned Manshoon: Is/was there anyone ever 'above' Manshoon, pulling the strings (aside from Elminster, of course). In other words, did Manshoon (at any particular time before or after his 'rise') only think he was in-charge, when in fact he was merely dancing to someone else's tune. I am assuming here that this may have changed, for one reason or another (or may still be true, for all we know).
Having spoken with Ed on this a number of times, and written on the matter, I think the answer to our question depends entirely upon which Manshoon you mean, and whether or not being manipulated by other Manshoons qualifies as being "below" them.

Otherwise, I'm fairly sure there's an NDA falling just about *slides his foot away* there.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  23:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing
OOPS! I meant Toril, not Faerun, like would the Underdark beneath Toril connect with the Underdark beneath say Maztica?
Yes indeed. You can read about one such connection between Faerūn and Maztica in The Grand History of the Realms on page 114. The vignette describes the travails of a dwarf clan that gets pursued by drow through the subsea passage. The passageway collapses during a spell conflagration known as the Rockfire Disaster. Cut off from Faerūn, the survivors of Clan Rockjaw are forced to trek westward until they emerge onto the fiery sands of Itzcala in Maztica.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  00:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
That reference goes all the way back to the Maztica expansion, and the trio of novels that went with it. I forget in which one, but it's explicitly stated that the "desert dwarves" are actually regular dwarves from the mainland that got orphaned on the other side of a subterranean cave in. When they finally emerged on the surface, they had the misfortune of being in the middle of Maztica's worst desert. And then they just stayed there, probably out of stubbornness.

It all happened within a dwarf's lifetime (ie: in the proficiencies section it talks about how things like blacksmithing would only be known by elder dwarves who came through the migration, so those passages are still known and traveled.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  01:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:

I still know many folk from 'third world countries' (South Americans) today who do not bother with any sort of official marriage - the poor simply move in with each other, and split-up when they get sick of each other. As for 'cheating' - it isn't really cheating if you never signed anything. In fact, this practice is becoming more fashionable even in our own country (I am starting to think marriage is an out-dated concept at this point)

I come from a country where more than half of the child populace has been born out of wedlock pretty much since our modern culture came into being. More of my friends cohabit without an official marriage than actually marry.

I can assure you that agreeing, implicitly or explicitly, to share one's life with another person and then having intimate relations with a third party without their knowledge or prior consent, absolutely is cheating.

Signatures are not necessary. Contractual obligations are entered into with a meeting of the minds, which can be verbal or even non-verbal.

If you lead someone to believe that you have an exclusive romantic relationship and behave in a way which is incompatible with their view of the rights and obligations of such a state, you are then cheating on them.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  02:05:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
QUESTION:
And now for a question, because someone mentioned Manshoon: Is/was there anyone ever 'above' Manshoon, pulling the strings (aside from Elminster, of course). In other words, did Manshoon (at any particular time before or after his 'rise') only think he was in-charge, when in fact he was merely dancing to someone else's tune? I am assuming here that this may have changed, for one reason or another (or may still be true, for all we know).

I'm guessing Hesperdan.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  04:14:57  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:
OOPS! I meant Toril, not Faerun, like would the Underdark beneath Toril connect with the Underdark beneath say Maztica?
Yes indeed. You can read about one such connection between Faerūn and Maztica in The Grand History of the Realms on page 114. The vignette describes the travails of a dwarf clan that gets pursued by drow through the subsea passage. The passageway collapses during a spell conflagration known as the Rockfire Disaster. Cut off from Faerūn, the survivors of Clan Rockjaw are forced to trek westward until they emerge onto the fiery sands of Itzcala in Maztica.

I own that book. LOVE IT! Somehow, I missed that, probably because I pull it out for research for campaigns, never to actually read. Thanks Brian!

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  08:36:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
I own that book. LOVE IT! Somehow, I missed that, probably because I pull it out for research for campaigns, never to actually read. Thanks Brian!

Best book ever.

Imagine if we could get permission from WotC to Kickstarter a revamped and better version ... ah to dream.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  13:53:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
A psuedo-leather bound deluxe edition?

Ahhhhhh... we are indeed dreamers... but WHAT a dream!
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

If you lead someone to believe that you have an exclusive romantic relationship and behave in a way which is incompatible with their view of the rights and obligations of such a state, you are then cheating on them.
But on a world where no monolithic religion ever took-control over major areas and enforced their own (artificial) codes of conduct, then 'trysts' should not only be commonplace, but should also be expected, especially amongst the nobility.

For example, take King Azoun; we know he was a falanderer. The problem wasn't that he was 'cheating', it was that he was not very discreet about it. Hence, Faerūnians do not use the term 'cheat', they refer to it as 'indiscretions'. The indiscretion comes in not that they did it, but that they got caught at it. We know Azoun did it, but we don't know if Filfaeril participated in these things... because she is very discreet. In most cases, a woman would have to be more discreet (in FR), simply because there ARE matters of inheritance to consider. Their daughter, Alusair, is the perfect example of a woman behaving precisely the way she wanted, and not giving an Osquip's arse about who knew about it. I am sure, however, that had she ever gotten married, she would have learned to be much more discreet (although I doubt she would have stopped her 'adventures' altogether... not for any man).

Also bear in mind in these kinds of cultures (like our own Medieval times), many marriages are arranged, and there is little love there - they are mostly business arrangements. That means it should be even more expected - we just never learn about most of it (and now I am thinking about certain aspects of the movie Braveheart).

A wife was expected to sire children; 'love' was a luxury most could not afford.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jul 2013 03:49:25
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  15:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:

But on a world where no monolithic religion ever took-control over major areas and enforced their own (artificial) codes of conduct, then 'trysts' should not only be commonplace, but should also be expected, especially amongst the nobility.

This may be a popular pop-sociology idea, but has no validity that I've ever seen demonstrated.

Societies develop extensive codes of conduct, usually strict and punished severely within the society, with or without anything that could be termed monolithic religion. This will often be intergrated into their religion, but there is no reason to assume that the two are interdependent to the degree that you postulate.

Indeed, a lot of real-world morality predates any of the large-scale religions of our world; prudish mores, monogamous relationships and abhorrance of bastardy included for more than one such society.

They are not universal, but then again, anywhere without instant communications constantly available to everyone will never have one universal culture and hence no universal mores. On the other hand, sexual monogamy and a strong cultural bias against promiscuity, are among the most common traits of human societies. They are not anomalies requiring monolithic religions to explain.

The idea that because couples devote considerable resources to economically and socially supporting each other and any offspring, they have a right to exclusivity*, is not a Christian one. It can be identified among cultures that have religions almost or entirely distinct from any ideas of morality.

I'm not saying this is the only possible state of affairs. Just that removing any and all real-world religions will not remove this as the standard assumption throughout the majority of human cultures.

And the idea that people in a close relationship should not deceive each other is not solely connected to any real-world religion and does not need any such religion to develop. Indeed, personal honour and keeping one's word could be much more important in the absence of a monolithic religious system, which provides alternate methods of meeting the same practical needs, in the form of religious laws and such.

Basically, as long as sex is potentially connected to reproduction, it can be expected that humans who expect to live their life as a mated pair will develop strong feelings on the reproduction of their mate. After all, a mate with duties and affection for another's child will potentially risk your own children being neglected and dying.

And while it's possible to come to love unrelated children as much as one's own offspring, that's a social construct, not a biological constant. The default is still that if people are going to make sacrifices for children, they will prefer their own.

*And yes, this is largely because otherwise, the male partner is unlikely to view the investment in any children as being as justified as when he could be reasonably assured that they were his genetic material.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 17 Jul 2013 15:26:57
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  15:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Folks, plase remember that this thread is for questions for Ed, his responses (or faster replies from our Hooded Lady, when possible), and immediate reactions. Try and keep more in-depth discussions and reactions to these queries/replies to separate scrolls, when possible.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  06:53:20  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I'm in the process of making an adventure for our group that features goblins. There's a small village of about 40 of them in crude huts. I have this idea of the group using a tied up goblin or two as bait, thrown into an owlbear cave lair and then reeled out and drug into the goblin village at top speed, leading the owlbear or two to cause some mayhem. This seems like some good slapstick the group will enjoy, so I have a few questions please:

1. Are there any smells, sights, or sounds that drive owlbears into an insane fury that would help the player's do some "owlbear fishing"?
2. I seem to remember a post by THO, that mentions the Knights and a groveling goblin prisoner. Would you be able to elaborate on some goblin personalities they've encountered in their adventures?

Love the Lord Mantlepard's Homecoming article in the latest Forging the Realms and will definitely be using that when we make it into Cormyr :)

Thank you both
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  18:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Enthusiastic echo of the praise for Lord Mantlepard's Homecoming. I can just HEAR Ed, in my head, DMing that. Sounds like the sort of Realms adventures he used to run at conventions I attended.
(P.S. Sage? No linkee yet, in the Forging thread? Please?)
And because Garen Thal has so rightly reminded us that this thread is for questions for Ed, my latest is:
If I was a lady wanting to buy a very nice but NOT "bleeding edge of fashion" gown in Suzail, in a hurry but quietly, where would I go? (Quietly, so not the flashiest Promenade places that shoppers go to "be seen shopping.")
Thanks in advance.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  09:35:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
A quick few yes/no/NDA questions, inspired by my reading of the Eye on the Realms article "That Which Slithers" in Dragon #423:

1) By 1479 DR, have any members of Cormyr's noble houses risen up as Returned Ones?

2) If yes, did that nasty bit of bloody butchery that occurred during the Council of the Dragon in Suzail (that saw so many nobles slain within the Hall of Justice) cause certain of these Risen Ones to attain higher positions of family power, or outright leadership, of Coryrean noble families?

3) The spell that Elminster/Amarune cast during the Council that turned so many nobles into bloody heaps of boneless flesh...is it something you recall mentioning in your prior Realms fiction? Or is it new to the fiction?

4) In the wake of the bloody mess from the spell, did courtiers, war wizards or other Crown officials discover that any of the noble bodies had changed into another humanoid form or otherwise appear altered from what was expected as the officials were trying to sort out who was who. (And oh what a mess!)

"That Which Slithers" was a fun read, as was “Lord Mantlepard’s Homecoming" from the Forging the Realms series. I look forward to the next installments of each.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 19 Jul 2013 09:42:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  21:37:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another question for my queue, and hopefully an easier one than some...

Given the recent media spectacle surrounding the birth of the future king of England, I find myself wondering: does Cormyr have any special ritual or process for announcing a birth in the Royal Family? And how big of a deal is that, in Suzail and the rest of the country?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  23:45:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed will have to answer the "how big a deal" bit, but from my notes I can tell you that royal births involve courtiers (royal messengers, on horseback) racing to post proclamations (gender, full name and titles) on the doors of royal palaces/castles in Suzail, Marsember, and Arabel, and on the market cross wayposts in smaller places such as Waymoot, Immersea, and so on. When the proclamations go up (literally nailed up), guards are posted flanking them to prevent thefts or defacements until they're taken down, four mornings later, and royal fanfares are blown (as the proclamation posting is finished).
Local heralds then make themselves available to anyone who wants to know the "new" order of succession.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  04:14:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed will have to answer the "how big a deal" bit, but from my notes I can tell you that royal births involve courtiers (royal messengers, on horseback) racing to post proclamations (gender, full name and titles) on the doors of royal palaces/castles in Suzail, Marsember, and Arabel ...
Hmmm. Wouldn't something like this also involve message stones, like those mentioned in Volo's Guide to Cormyr?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  08:05:27  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

A request for a clarification of one of Ed's recent replies (July 14 of this year).

Ed, when you wrote, "The diseased are housed in Thulser’s Lodge, in the King’s Forest a little east of Mouth O’Gargoyles, on the same trail," by 'same trail' did you mean the Starwater Road?

Could you please also confirm that high ranking courtiers in Cormyr (I'm assuming "high ranking" means those not pledged to a lifetime of service like Royal courtiers, who end their days in Thornthar) are, often as not, given an estate with farmlands capable of supporting them, upon their retirement from service?

Thank you both very much.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 23 Jul 2013 09:18:21
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  11:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO,

I'm curious whether any significant efforts to tame the stonelands have evener succeeded (albeit temporarily)? Any disasterous attempts by lords or adventurers that have left houses bankrupt or without heirs? The open claim to the Stonelands seems such a tall task I imagine folk spend more time gossiping about the failures than of any possibility of someone succeeding.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  16:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message
Hello once again to you lovely people!

I am full of questions lately, and always seem to have at least one connected to religion and another connected to Thay.

1.) Our game's priestess of Myrkul is intending on taking the path of being ordained as a Gray One within the God of the Dead's Church, and while some in the party have at times been at odds with her primary faith, all (including the paladin of Helm) seem to be proud of her stalwart following of a necessary religion that performs many duties for the common folk.

The priestess has altered her views on the nature of death and undeath through a number of the adventures and explorations in which she has been an active participant. Where once she would raid a dungeon or protect a city in the name of her band and her faith, often raising malign but obedient undead to act as guardians (and heralds for Myrkul) in the places she has visited (ranging from tombs, to temples, to villages and towns), she has recently developed a somewhat nihlistic view upon the deaths of two very close companions. With this view, she has begun to see life as a fine strand with a finite end, and undeath being an unnatural extension of that. Without intent to be 'good' she is now summarily destroying undeath where she finds it, still claiming to be serving Myrkul and in fact feeling her faith growing as she feels she has fully grasped what it means to follow the God of the Dead.

None, not even the unnaturally long lives, should escape Myrkul's grasp.

My question to Ed and THO is whether this kind of view runs counter to the priesthood of Mykrul? Indeed, did her previous actions typify that of an adventuring priest in the service to Myrkul? If her rather entropic view is at odds with her Church, would Myrkulytes seek to re-educate her (and how), punish her (and how), or merely observe her, as she is still ending lives, albeit undead ones? I find her choice quite fascinating and a real about-turn for the character, and I've portrayed one fellow priest as being suitably intrigued by her decision, without condemning providing she doesn't slay any undead followers of Myrkul himself.

2.) In 4th Edition Thay, Necromancy is of course the school of choice. My campaign has followed a very different path and has seen various schools waxing and waning in power along with religious and tharchion support of certain zulkirs (when Kossuth is popular, Evocation / Invocation receives a boost, when Banites have been seen as 'good' in the eyes of Thayans, Enchantment / Charm receives a flurry of fresh support, when Moander / Flattery Wyvernspur worships reaches a peak, Transmutation / Alteration finds itself as the school on top etc.)

We've only ever really been exposed to the dominance of Necromancy as readers, but does this kind of thing occur throughout the history of Thay? Was Illusion ever dominant, or perhaps Abjuration? If so, how did this turn of events come about?

3.) I love that the Simbul's favoured form is that of a small bird, zipping through the wilds of Aglarond and further, observing her servants, rivals and friends through inconspicuous eyes. I have a few questions regarding her being in bird form, namely - a.) Does she favour one type of bird, and what does it look like? b.) Are any of her enemies aware of her avian preferences, and therefore so paranoid as to ward against flighty intruders and spies, or even destroy all birds on sight in case they're actually her? If so, who would this include? c.) Has the Simbul ever been in bird form for so long that she's.. ahem.. laid an egg?

4.) Has a war ever broken out due to the errant actions of magicians at a mage fair? I just thought it would be amusing if one had, due to rivals getting a little heated and accidentally destroying a nearby village...

5.) Going way back now - in Azure Bonds we briefly meet Cassana and Zrie Prakis, two lovely wizards with a rather tumultuous relationship. If you created these characters, what detail can you give us of the battle that ended in Zrie's death, and ultimate lichdom? I vaguely recall it having been in Westgate. Is there any mark on the battlefield showing the likely conflagration that ensued during the battle, and how was Cassana able to escape being brought down by.. heh.. "keepers of the peace" in Westgate (oxymoron) after destroying not only her lover but likely a small amount of city as well? Final question - was the Staff of Power that the two of them possess forged by them or obtained, and if so, where from?

Sorry for the flurry of questions - I am an inquisitive sort, and my players occasionally throw these things my way. We love getting added depth on the Realms, the places we adventure and the characters they run in to.

Thank you!

Matthew (The Gentleman Gamer)

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  01:20:50  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message
Greetings all, and my thanks to Ed and THO for their joint steadfastness in addressing the interminable torrent of queries!

I've just been rereading The Temptation of Elminster after many years, and have come upon the passage in which El, during his visit to Moonshorn Tower, notes that the script of a particular text "...was written with that squaring of the letters that marked its origin as the south shore of the Sea of Fallen Stars."

Thus I am curious: what are some of the significant regional (or other, e.g. class) idiosyncrasies seen in the handwriting of a given alphabet?

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  01:35:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul

Greetings all, and my thanks to Ed and THO for their joint steadfastness in addressing the interminable torrent of queries!

<SNIP>

Sorry for the thread clog, but I was compelled to go on the record (again) to say that Pasta Fzoul's moniker is hands-down the best one I've ever come across at Candlekeep. It cracks me up every time.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  01:43:38  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Sorry for the thread clog, but I was compelled to go on the record (again) to say that Pasta Fzoul's moniker is hands-down the best one I've ever come across at Candlekeep. It cracks me up every time.

-- George Krashos

And thus, by my very being, I bring joy wherever I may go.
*theatrical bow*
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  05:39:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
It is the best username here, by far. I wish I'd thought of it.

Related to my earlier query, do the humans of the Heartlands have any particular customs surrounding childbirth? I'm thinking superstitious practices, naming rituals, blessings from local clergy, things like that.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  13:45:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Great questions, as usual, and off they all go to Ed. Wooly, the ritual I can recall offhand (and find in the notes I've made during years of play with Ed) is the lighting of a candle in the birthing area just before/during birth, to "burn away all foulness/lurking spirits/Beshaba's malice." I'm sure Ed will have more, and I KNOW prayers are uttered to alert deities to the newborn's presence and request their favor/kindly regard.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  14:18:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul

Thus I am curious: what are some of the significant regional (or other, e.g. class) idiosyncrasies seen in the handwriting of a given alphabet?
As an addendum to this... Could Ed also, perhaps, provide a few examples of these idiosyncrasies in an alphabet?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  19:46:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Re. these...
from Pasta Fzoul: “Thus I am curious: what are some of the significant regional (or other, e.g. class) idiosyncrasies seen in the handwriting of a given alphabet?”
and from The Sage: “As an addendum to this... Could Ed also, perhaps, provide a few examples of these idiosyncrasies in an alphabet?”

Ed replies:
Sure. If we think of Thorass (the main written alphabet of the Common Tongue) as real-world written (cursive) English, there are letters that have “tails” (descenders) dipping below the main horizontal line of script, ascenders that thrust well above it, loops formed by letters (in modern-real world parlance, counters, formed by bowls), and some letters that have dots above them (such as the lowercase “I” and “j”).
On the southern shores of the Inner Sea, in the TEMPTATION OF ELMINSTER example Pasta Fzoul cited, bowls are squared rather than rounded (so the letter “o” looks like a box, rather than a circle). This style is found in Turmish, the Vilhon, and some of the Lake of Steam cities and easternmost Calishite lands.
In Waterdeep, all loops are rounded, and all arms or legs of letters are curved (descenders back below and behind the preceding letter, and ascenders forward to hang above the following letter).
In Athkatla and especially in Calimshan, those dots I mentioned become horizontal slashes (often “wavy,” like the tilde symbol), but this is found nowhere else except in older writings of Dambrath.
Hope these brief notes are of help. Tearingly busy right now.

So saith Ed. Who is probably the busiest person I know.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  20:24:27  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message
quote:
Hope these brief notes are of help. Tearingly busy right now.

So saith Ed. Who is probably the busiest person I know.
love,
THO

Absolutely, and thanks once again! It really is the minutiae of the mundane that make for the most interesting Realmslore, if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

Bionic Man
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  22:39:08  Show Profile Send Bionic Man a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed!

I have a couple questions,
1. Who is the greatest thief currently operating in the Realms? How about in the history of the Realms? I guess if they were truly great we wouldn't know who they are, but surely Ed can help. ;)

2. Do most rangers in the Realms belong to a specific order, or are there numerous ones? If there are many, do they respect each others status?

Thank you!

It's a ::rolls dice:: pleasure to meet you!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  21:44:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Whats the most bizarre 'weather' that has ever happened on Toril? (including really strange things that may have occurred during the ToT or Spellplague).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000