Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  13:40:54  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I would like to ask Ed the following. I love the Realms for many reasons, but among the aspects I am not so fond of is the feeling I get, compared with other campaign settings, that arcane magic is both too commonplace and ordinary and that wizards are much more powerful than all other types of adventurers, almost almighty. So, I would like to ask first if wizards are actually so common that one in ten persons is one, and if there are risks for those who use arcane magic, and secondly if in Ed's campaigns there are non-wizard NPCs who can truly challenge the powerful Realms wizards.
Thanks!

Edited by - paladinnicolas on 08 Sep 2013 13:49:49
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  07:54:01  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

Ed, a handful of follow up yes/no questions about Emmer, who’s managed to capture some of my wandering attention and make himself the focus of it. Thus:

1. Have any of Emmer’s chapbooks made it into Candlekeep’s collection?

2. If yes, does Candlekeep have the whole set?

3. Have Emmer’s writings ever gotten him turned away from a place of business or a settlement?

4. Were the goods that Emmer traded in as varied as the facts he wrote down?

5. Did Emmer’s business include selling information?

As always, thank you both.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 09 Sep 2013 08:38:07
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  23:04:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Jeremy, I just received an e-mail from Ed, so herewith, replies for you:

1. Have any of Emmer’s chapbooks made it into Candlekeep’s collection?
A: Yes. One officially, one brought in by a monk traveling on Candlekeep business. (An early volume and one from two years later.)

2. If yes, does Candlekeep have the whole set?
A: No, just the two.

3. Have Emmer’s writings ever gotten him turned away from a place of business or a settlement?
A: Not that I know of.

4. Were the goods that Emmer traded in as varied as the facts he wrote down?
A: Yes. Emmer was a "buy low, sell high" sundries dealer. As in, he dealt in literally all sorts of stuff, from suits of armor to meat pies, and thread to rocking chairs. Four constant in-stock specialties: ink, quill pens, footstools, and sharpening stones (for knives and other bladed weapons or tools).

5. Did Emmer’s business include selling information?
A: Not that I know of. Delivering sealed letters and contracts and other messages, yes, but these were strictly "take sealed missive from A, KEEP IT SEALED and don't look at it or try to guess its contents in any way, and deliver it discreetly to B" acts, not "for X coins I'll tell you Y" practices.

So saith Ed. Crafting Realmslore daily.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  23:39:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And I'm back, with Ed's response to paladinnicolas, re. this: "I love the Realms for many reasons, but among the aspects I am not so fond of is the feeling I get, compared with other campaign settings, that arcane magic is both too commonplace and ordinary and that wizards are much more powerful than all other types of adventurers, almost almighty. So, I would like to ask first if wizards are actually so common that one in ten persons is one, and if there are risks for those who use arcane magic, and secondly if in Ed's campaigns there are non-wizard NPCs who can truly challenge the powerful Realms wizards. Thanks!"
Ed replies:

I can understand why one could get that feeling from the published Realms, because there's so much emphasis on powerful mages. In the same way that New York seen in movies is always being blown up or threatened with doomsday devices or the setting of all-out gang street warfare, but the real New York is rather different. Arcane magic DOES permeate the setting (in the form of the Weave), but it is by no means "commonplace" or ordinary. I would say that perhaps one in every 290 or so people has some talent for the Art (magic), but usually this is a "wild talent," a very limited, lone minor power like an itching sensation when a powerful magic item is very close, or a mighty spell has just been cast in a locale, or is "hanging fire" awaiting activation in a spot the wild talent is standing in. Wild talents are rarely reliable, are usually kept secret, and VERY rarely can be developed, over time, into something a little stronger and more specific.
Perhaps one person in every 400 or so has some limited immunity to some form of magic (lessened damage from fire or cold magic, or increased resistance to mind-contacting magic, for example); unless it's genetic and older family members tell them of it, they may never ever discover they have this immunity.
Perhaps one person in every 900 or so has some ability to wield magic (i.e. become a wizard or sorcerer or other sort of arcane spellcaster). Again, they may never discover this - - and if they need training to develop it (i.e. become a wizard), they may never get the opportunity or the funds to be trained (nor might they WANT to; a lot of folk in the Realms fear magic). My estimate of how many people become wizards would be around thirty percent of those who could become wizards (i.e. 3 in 10 of those talented in the Art ever develop that talent). And of course, once you are a wizard, you are also a target.
The vast majority of wizards get killed when they are low in power (such as Manshoon's "magelings," the novice Zhents he sacrificed ruthlessly in great numbers), and the great bulk of those who do survive become "hedge-wizards" (that is, they get a little training and do a little experimentation beyond that, or buy a scroll or two, and settle down in a small community to make a living casting the six or seven "everyday useful" spells they know, never wanting nor trying to either go adventuring or try ruling anyone or anywhere).
And yes, aside from the risks of everyone else trying to kill you or capture you and use you as a spellhurling slave, you as a wizard face the inherent risks of magic itself; it's like playing with live electricity at the best of times, and experimentations or any situations where one active spell comes into contact with another (i.e. any duel or fight) are especially perilous.
And finally, in the Realms there are many, many individuals powerful enough to rule, dominate, and even oppress wizards. If you look the root Realms products, such as the Old Gray Box, most rulers are NOT wizards. (It's just that the evil wizards' groups, such as the Zhentarim and the Red Wizards, get all the attention.)
Magic is an inherent part of the Realms - - LOTS of magic. Some of it is divine, some arcane, and most of it is unharnessed, or controlled by beings we don't think of as potential Player Characters. The PC users of magic are few and far between; don't let what adventures focus on give you the wrong view of their real reach and stature. Their REPUTATIONS are huge, but even an active band of them (e.g. the War Wizards of Cormyr) can't adequately control a generally law-abiding kingdom - - and one of the few wizards who COULD rule the world, Larloch, is utterly uninterested in doing so; like many ultra-powerful archwizards, he has become obsessed with the pursuit and perfection of magic, rather than worldly power. (Though you may in future Realms fiction see him dabble a bit in the unfolding affairs of the world.) Finally, like real-world superpowers and "detente," the most powerful mages often develop feuds and rivalries, and serve as checks and balances on each other by opposing whatever rivals try to do.
Heh. End of sermon. Hope this is of help.

So saith Ed, creator of the Realms, its magic, and most of its mighty mages.
love,
THO

Edit: spelling mistakes fixed, one word of amplification added, at Ed's request.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 10 Sep 2013 18:19:04
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  00:53:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

About that "Bound and Willing" author: has anyone guessed Elminster yet?

Yep, incorrect guess.

Here is a list of past incorrect guesses:
Alaphondar, Laspeera, Glarasteer Rhauligan, Vangerdahast, Azoun IV, Giogi Wyvernspur, Valantha Shimmerstar, Elminster, Storm, Tessaril Winter, Aerilee Summerwood, Dimswart, Thone, Caladnei, Volo, Myrmeen Lhal, Maglanna, Tanalasta, Alusair, Jorunhast, Lady Tavernant, Aundable Inthré, the Lark and Filfaeril (the Dowager Queen) herself if i haven't missed any.

And the two hints He of the Greenwood gave:
1 - Let me just provide my first promised clue by refining what I mean by “known at the court.” It means they’ve visited it in person and been announced, more than once, not walked into the room as an anonymous servant or been mentioned by some courtier as some outlander of importance - - that is, important somewhere else. It doesn’t NECESSARILY mean they’re a frequent visitor at Court or well-known there.
2 - That is, characters mentioned in Ed's Realmslore series of web columns are eliminated. None of them wrote that sizzling tome.

Were they announced as their true identity?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  07:22:42  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear Ed, that answer was incredible. If I liked the Realms before now I love them, I always wanted a feeling that even if the world of the Realms is full of magic magic is somewhat mysterious and not commonplace. THO, thanks for being so helpful, as always.
If I may ask something else, is Torm still as strict concerning killing betrayers as described in 2E? In a 3.5 Realms product called Champions of Valor the authors say that good characters must strive to be merciful and seek the redemption of betrayers. Thanks!

Edited by - paladinnicolas on 10 Sep 2013 07:25:28
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  18:20:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
paladinnicolas, no, Torm these days is tending more and more towards merciful rather than inflexible. So, he's less "strict" from a mortal point of view. Why? Mortals can only speculate...
(This comes from Ed, not me.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  19:05:59  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Hi Ed/THO, in another thread there was a discussion of the influence of Moorcock on your Realms. Specifically, the 'fact' that Moorcock's elemental lords are the same as those in the Realms (just different names). My question is, are their any equivalents in your original Realms to the various minor animal gods, such as Roofdrak, lord of canines or do the parallels end at the elementals?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:53:05  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I'm not Ed, but you can check these influences in the article "Down-to-earth divinity" in the old Dragon Magazine #54.

EDIT: The animal cults of Moorcock are there, as the names of his Elemental Lords and some other gods or entities from fiction, like Aslan (later renamed "Nobanion").

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 11 Sep 2013 17:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  08:55:41  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Jeremy, I just received an e-mail from Ed, so herewith, replies for you:

Thank you very much THO.

Ed, since your last round of replies I've been thinking on Emmer and have come up with a few more questions about him. Thank you for helping me to learn a little more about this particular NPC.

1. That he's called "Emmer of Tharsult" leads me to ask: was Emmer as much an ocean going trader as a land based trader?

2. Did Emmer make a point of returning (home?) to Tharsult once a year?

3. Did the winter months afford Emmer an opportunity to sit down and write? Or was Emmer more of a write-as-you-go type?

4. Did anything in particular serve as inspiration for Emmer to start writing his chapbooks?

5. Were Emmer's chapbooks primarily hand-printed?

6. Did Emmer try to produce many copies of his chapbooks?

7. Did anyone else like them/find them popular enough to have them reprinted and resold?

8. Were any of his annuals ever bought up in bulk (to the extent that copies of a particular book existed) out of concern by one or more parties that a given annual contained information/analysis better kept out of the public eye?

A lot of questions, I know. Feel free to give yes/no or minimal answers, as I'm sure you're pretty busy.

Thanks again.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 12 Sep 2013 09:03:53
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  14:30:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Not a question, just wanted to point something out...

I am interested in purchasing Razor Coast, and when I was reading about it over at the Paizo store, I found something amusing; read the second review HERE. Start at the emboldened "Ahem. Review." and go from there...

I figure Ed would get a chuckle out of that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Sep 2013 14:31:23
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  08:25:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

While looking through my Realmslore notes I ran across the name of Jharakphred, aka he who died by Blueflame Ghost soon after finishing a painting, on or about page 258 of the hardcover version of “Elminster Must Die”.

This led me to wonder the following:

1. Do painters, like smiths, have an equivalent for forgrebrew recipes/thaethar in terms of the paints they mix?

2. If yes, is there a unique word for such recipes and do alchemists sell them like they sell thaethar?

3. Did Jharakphred take any such knowledge about unique pigment recipes with him to his grave?

4. Did concerned friends, relatives or patrons hire anyone along the likes of the investigator for hire Ironeye Houndfyre to search for him?

5. After Jharakphred, who would high-paying patrons of the arts in Cormyr consider to be the next best painter? Or is there some disagreement/is this a subject that’s fashionable to debate in Cormyr in 1479 DR?

[EDIT: one more]
6. Jharakphred doesn't sound like a typical Cormyrean name to me. Was he a native of Cormyr?

Thank you, as always.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 15 Sep 2013 08:58:23
Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  21:30:22  Show Profile Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message
Dear Hooded One, maybe my question's already been answered elsewhere, I'm sorry.

Can priests in the Realms (particularly those of Amaunator, Sune and Torm) marry?

Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2013 :  23:00:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Here we go . . .

sleyvas, Ed says they were announced as their true identity.

Markustay: no, it's not Alustriel . . . and what does that reviewer have against redheads? ;} (That's me, not Ed.)

Jeremy, here are a few replies:
1. That he's called "Emmer of Tharsult" leads me to ask: was Emmer as much an ocean going trader as a land based trader?
Ed: Yes.
2. Did Emmer make a point of returning (home?) to Tharsult once a year?
Ed: He tried to, and usually succeeded (wintering over in Tharsult).
3. Did the winter months afford Emmer an opportunity to sit down and write? Or was Emmer more of a write-as-you-go type?
Ed: Yes, but he was indeed more of a write-as-you-go type.
Oh, and "Jharakphred" is an in-joke. "Jack Fred" was the pseudonym used by TSR artists when they had to do a painting in a day or two days, and hated the result and didn't want their names on it. (There's more to the "Jack Fred" story, but I'll leave that to Ed to tell, some other time . . . other than to mention the irony that "Jack Fred" occasionally won art awards, to the chagrin of the real artists employing the moniker.)
As for the in-Realms Jharakphred lore, Ed will serve it up when he can (probably when he's back from GrandCon).
Which reminds me...

Anyone in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area: the first GrandCon (a convention that focuses on board games and comic art) is this coming Friday, Sat, and Sunday, and Ed will be a guest there, alongside Jeff Grubb, Steven Schend, Tracy and Laura Hickman, and a host of others!I Check it out online and on Facebook...

Pierre-Luc, the answer to your clergy marrying is: yes, with a few faith-related, conditional exceptions (the three deities you list not, so far as I know, being among them).

. . . and that's all for now, folks! More when Ed and I hook up for an e-chat again, and he sends me more Realms replies.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  01:31:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message

"Talaskos Murthrond is a handsome, purring voiced former Zulkir of Thay who long ago foresaw Szass Tam’s rise, faked his own demise, and departed his homeland for a skulking existence spent hiding in remote places of Faerûn amid magical mists."

I'd like to know more about this guy from Dragon 427, Sundering article. Zulkir of what school (thinking either divination, illusion, or transmutation)? When was he in Thay? What exactly did he foresee? Where did he go?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  04:11:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
sleyvas, Talaskos Murthrond was the Zulkir of Transmutation at one time, according to my notes.
Ed will, of course, furnish a proper answer when he can. (Folks in Michigan, he'll be at GrandCon this weekend.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  14:18:20  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO, steering away from the magical for a moment... some of this has been touched on before, but I'll cast a somewhat wide net for these related questions:

I wonder if you could describe some non-magical medicinal plants, ointments, physics, or preparations commonly (and cheaply) sold by merchants/alchemists for some really ordinary types of "everyday" afflictions - such as dry skin, sniffles, coughing, itching, headache, muscle aches, and the like? Is there a Realms plant or simple prepared physic that would be an equivalent to aspirin?

Are there any "common" but Realms-specific ailments that people seek treatment for? I'm thinking here of unusual, but non-magical colds or problems that could be solved with plant preparations or "simple" alchemy methods. Things that would be sold commonly.

Also, are there any learning traditions, well-known books, or minor historical figures that are studied for their contributions to alchemical medicines? Or would this be considered more like "old villager wisdom" or "go see the witch" (who isn't really a witch) kind of handed-down knowledge? Are there schools for learning herbal/alchemical medicines that would be commonly sold in regular storefronts? Do any churches make sure that their priests get a little training in basic, non-magical medicines?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 19 Sep 2013 14:26:13
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  01:01:00  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Okay it's just way too quiet. And it's unlike us to leave Ed alone when he's at a Con or busy writing. What gives?

I have a query which is not directly related to Realmslore, but goes more at writing and maybe design. I imagine this sort of question has been asked before, and I apologize if I missed it.

Background. I've been working on rewriting some old modules for the playtest rules and I'm curious if you do similar translations of official modules into the "rules" you use in the home game, or vice versa. When 2e, 3e, and 4e came out I started re-writing some NPCs in terms of the new rules.

Personal epiphany. I've found that this translation process makes me look at NPCs and sometimes their relationships in ways that I hadn't considered before. In 2e, it was "what kit should this one have?" In 3e it was "okay what feats does this one need? Can I advance a lower HD creature for this encounter instead of using this common and expected creature? Hey a paladin of Sune; what's his relationship with the local priestesses? (rated M for mature, that's what.)" In the cases where I'm looking at the same characters or places/relationships under these different lenses, it's sometimes given additional depth to the characters. What I end up with is not just fodder for filling out a stat block; it's (ideally) a character with additional dimensions. I'm sure others have stumbled over this long ago, but I've recently found it to be a cool tool to add to the design process.

Question. What do you think about, beyond their relationships with their immediate family/boss/neighbors, when creating personalities that the PCs may be required/privileged to deal with? I know you're not dependent on published rules, but have you found any aspects of game mechanics (either D&D or other systems) useful as lenses or stimuli for development? Or am I just a bumbling noob?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  18:51:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed is safely back home from GrandCon, a delightful weekend of seeing old friends and making new ones. Ed roomed with Jeff Grubb, and a good time was had by all.
However, Ed has arrived back to the usual raft of "must be done YESTERDAY" writing stuff, and of course the Tor novel, and so "will get to" replies as soon as he can (I'm privately suspecting after Phantasm, which is this coming weekend in Peterborough, Ontario). In the meantime, I can start answering some queries recently placed on the table by scribes...
Therise: Almost all organized faiths in the Realms make sure their priests get basic "physicking" training (herbs, poultices, healing and soothing draughts, "meatball" surgery and wound treatment), both for maintaining the health of the clergy and faithful without needing to go to other faiths, and as a source of minor temple income/goodwill-earning. And yes, there are common, widely-known plant preparation medicines and poultices for widespread afflictions (rashes, infections, minor illnesses, allergic reactions to insect stings, etc.)...but I'll leave it to Ed to tackle a proper reply re. this.
xaeyruudh, I know Ed doesn't both to "translate" older-edition NPCs; he just runs them. For him, it's the essential character (aims, aspirations, world view, mannerisms) and not game stats that's important...leading me to suspect that game mechanics play a limited role in his personal (as opposed to game design, for pay) worldbuilding. What you referred to in your paragraph on personal epiphany, however, is VERY important to Ed in his creating, fleshing out, and portraying of NPCs. But of course, more from the man himself, when he's available...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  19:09:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Glad he had fun! That must have been great to hang out with Jeff again. The stories... I'm sure they flowed like rivers.

Thank you THO.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  19:55:17  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:

Therise: Almost all organized faiths in the Realms make sure their priests get basic "physicking" training (herbs, poultices, healing and soothing draughts, "meatball" surgery and wound treatment), both for maintaining the health of the clergy and faithful without needing to go to other faiths, and as a source of minor temple income/goodwill-earning. And yes, there are common, widely-known plant preparation medicines and poultices for widespread afflictions (rashes, infections, minor illnesses, allergic reactions to insect stings, etc.)...but I'll leave it to Ed to tackle a proper reply re. this.

Thank you THO! I hope Ed had lots of fun, and I look forward to additional details whenever he has a chance to go more in depth.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  21:05:06  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
"Ed roomed with Jeff Grubb, and a good time was had by all."

Argh!! To be a fly on the wall in that room and hear the two greatest Realms people talk together. It is my greatest wish that Grubb comes back to the Realms and writes more novels and game lore (with Ed, of course).
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  17:02:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Regarding "A Handful of Hauntings":

Good stuff! My instinctive question with this sort of new info is always "where is this?" but I also appreciate it when the implied answer is "wherever you want."

The Sighing Lady is familiar. I swear I've seen her (at least the name) in print somewhere... maybe the original Undermountain box or somewhere in the Waterdeep lore? Humorous observation: googling it yields a romance novel named The Sighing Lady which features an Emily Greenwood.

The Whisperer is very interesting to me. Not sure precisely what I want to do with it yet, but there are a couple of possibilities. Is it meant to be something we can do anything we want with, or is there a specific type of thing (helpful ghost, god, paranoid wizard stuck in ethereal mode) we're supposed to realize that it is? Have you, or are you planning to, use the Whisperer in novels?
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  20:23:48  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Here is a question for the ever growing pile.

Spellfire VS Silverfire, what would happen in such a spell battle between two competent users like the Simbul and an accomplished and very powerful Spellfire wielder Red Wizard archmage?
Thinking about a real spell battle here, not random discharges of magical energy but shots to kill, maim and destroy.
I'm not asking for a straight "this will win", i'm asking for the implications of such a clash, some questions to narrow it down (but feel absolutely free to add whatever you want since it's always good stuff):

- Has a spell battle between one of the Chosens of Mystra and a competent Spellfire wielder ever happened before?
- Would Mystra and/or Azuth ever allow such a spell battle to happen with both parties firmly set on blasting away or would the deities intervene (teleporting the two away, annihilating the Red wizard, cutting them from the Weave)?
- Do the Chosens have some kind of protocol for such occurrences (like a "team up and fire at the offending party all together and take down as soon as possible at all costs" policy)?
- Will there be any consequences for the Weave (thinking about dead magic zone at the site and vicinity with sorrounding wild magic zones or even weirder effects)?
- Will there be any consequences for spellcasters witnessing and/or scrying the event?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  23:24:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes!
Ed tells me that the print version of WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME 2 is finally out, and in honour of this, his co-editor Gabrielle has set up a Goodreads giveaway; see:

http://gabrielle-edits.com/2013/09/26/hero-2-giveaway/

. . . for more!
(Note that this print edition has some stories by Realms stalwarts, but it's the e-book version that has additional stories, including yarns by Ed and Gabrielle.)
((Hey! FREE book, if you're lucky!))
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  23:26:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And hi again, all!
Whilst posting Ed's message, I couldn't help but notice the preceding post, by Demzer, and can begin to provide a partial answer:

- Has a spell battle between one of the Chosens of Mystra and a competent Spellfire wielder ever happened before?

A: Yes. More than once.

- Will there be any consequences for the Weave (thinking about dead magic zone at the site and vicinity with sorrounding wild magic zones or even weirder effects)?

A: Yes.
For more, and answers to the rest, Ed will of course have to step in and do the proper Realmslore sage thing. I'm just the ear and tongue candy here...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  23:59:40  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Who is still working hard on Realmslore, Realmslore, and more Realmslore (he tells me he recently handed in the 50th Forging column, for example).
love,
THO

With WotC putting Dragon and Dungeon on hiatus for a while, will we continue to see the Forging the Realms articles or have all the ones Ed has handed in been almost all published on the WotC site now?
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2013 :  05:22:03  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Hi Ed/THO, in another thread there was a discussion of the influence of Moorcock on your Realms. Specifically, the 'fact' that Moorcock's elemental lords are the same as those in the Realms (just different names). My question is, are their any equivalents in your original Realms to the various minor animal gods, such as Roofdrak, lord of canines or do the parallels end at the elementals?

The drow society reminds me of the Melniboneans, if a bit more nonsensical.

Cale's relationship with Mask reminds me of the Elric/Arioch dynamic. Not as a ripoff or anything like that; more a well-done homage.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2013 :  00:18:11  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I was curious if there is anything you could share with us regarding dwarven war machines and maybe a few examples in the Realms? Historically, dwarves always lacked the arcane firepower of other races. This makes me think they must have some other "edge" to help them in their wars against the more numerous goblin races. Naturally this made me think of the dwarves using their knowledge of engineering and war machines to help make up the difference.

Thank you! :)
Go to Top of Page

woodgod
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2013 :  02:55:45  Show Profile Send woodgod a Private Message
Hello Ed/THO,

One of the aspects of the Realms that always interested me was the presence of dinosaurs or behemoths. I know some people feel they are out of place, but I don't see why they should be treated differently to any other large beast just because of their relation to our world. Anyway, while there's mention of them in the Realms, I couldn't find much information on their role. How do they get on with other, more magical creatures? Are they hunted for food or trained as mounts by certain races? Do any races have any particular affinity towards them, likr Drow and spiders? Also, are there any magical variants or were-dinosaurs?

My next question can be answered by anyone, but has there been any recent mention of the Pterafolk?

Sorry if the answers can be easily found elsewhere. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000