Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  18:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Thanks for that, Lady THO! I always wondered...
At FanExpo this August, Ed did a great panel on the Realms ahead, cleverly avoiding saying much about the published FR in favor of talking about the home Realms campaign. Wherein he mentioned that neither Halaster nor Khelben, no matter how alive or dead they are, continue to "exert a lot of influence in the Realms." Care to elaborate? Even a brief tease? Please?
Thanks, whether I get silence or something juicy,
BB
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  18:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And I have another, unrelated (or is it? Bwoohahaha) question. In a recent Forging The Realms column (great series, BTW, please keep them coming!), I believe it was the Lord of the Sewers column, Ed dropped this tidbit in passing: "Ulouth Marr (that's the Lost Gem of Dweomermastery, to those who aren't sages)" . . . so, of course, this inquiring mind would love to know more about this gemstone.
Ahem.
Thanks in advance,
BB
Go to Top of Page

astion
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  07:14:00  Show Profile Send astion a Private Message
I have a question about numbers of Cormyr War Wizards (circa 1372)
and i apologize beforehand for my awful english.

As saith Ed (09/09/2013) Perhaps one person in every 900 or so has some ability to wield magic (i.e. become a wizard or sorcerer or other sort of arcane spellcaster).Again, they may never discover this - - and if they need training to develop it (i.e. become a wizard), they may never get the opportunity or the funds to be trained (nor might they WANT to; a lot of folk in the Realms fear magic). My estimate of how many people become wizards would be around thirty percent of those who could become wizards (i.e. 3 in 10 of those talented in the Art ever develop that talent).

so we talking about average of 1 spellcaster per 2700 "normal" people
and that 1 particular spellcaster can be neither lawfull good or loyal to crown. He (or she) may be in fact chaotic evil petty criminal magicuser abusing "charm person"

But entire population of cormyr is 1.5 millon people at large.
Even if Crown find and conscript by force every single "wizardy capable" person they get about 555 spell casters at all (1 per 2700 remember?)
including but not limited,-necromancers, cultist of Malar, Shar simpathizers and all other kinds of shady persons.

So, my question is:
How Cormyr manage to get about 500 (or even 2000) loyal and lawfull war wizards?

Edited by - astion on 12 Dec 2013 07:14:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  13:32:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for the reply.

I know some portals work that way - I've seen a few in fiction and Realmslore (and then there was Telemont's scrying pool).

What I was talking about was where the 'veil between the worlds' is physically 'thin', so to speak, not portals. I was thinking maybe a person would be in a certain place and see ghost-like figures about, and think it was haunted, but really you were just see images from some other 'elsewhen' (so it could also be a time distortion as well).

And, of course, the folks on the other side might also be able to see ghost-like images of you. I've seen similar things done in comics and TV, and I was thinking about planer conjunctions - especially with The Sundering going on, magical chaos, and the whole thing with 'Abeir'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  15:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Re. this: "But entire population of cormyr is 1.5 millon people at large."
I follow your math and your reasoning, astion, but where does this figure come from? A recent canon source, I'm guessing...
Or for that matter, this: "How Cormyr manage to get about 500 (or even 2000) loyal and lawfull war wizards?"
...Because I remember Ed talking about how surprisingly (to me, at least) few War Wizards Cormyr had, at various points in its history. Even the 500 figure seems high to me.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  15:43:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'm not Ed, but Cormyrian war Wizards don't all come from Cormyr's population.

I can think of three (both past and present) who are definitely not 'Cormyrian'. In fact, one of those has a status that outranks even the Royal Wizard (Elminster... who else? ).

Also, wizards tend to outlive most other people (especially two of those I am thinking of above). You can't go by normal human lifespans. Some 'retired' war Wizards may have been active over a century ago, but now reside somewhere else... but are still 'on call'. Thus you have a 'standing army' of War Wizards, and probably several hundred 'reserves' that can be called upon when need be.

Hell, a former 'Mage Royal' is still around, beneath the Sea of Fallen Stars. Hopefully Ed will have more to add, I am sure.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Dec 2013 15:45:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  16:33:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Also, with a large group of wizards in the nation, magical training for those with talent is going to be easier to obtain than it would be in other areas. So the one third of the one in nine hundred would apply to the Realms as a whole, but in some areas, the number is skewed significantly higher. Just look at Thay or Halruaa to see places where those numbers don't apply.

That's also not factoring in that magically talented people may occur more frequently in some areas, too, either because of random genetics or deliberate tampering -- and we've seen the latter in the Realms, as well. And again, look at Halruaa -- practically everyone there uses magic, even if just a couple of cantrips.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  17:48:33  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
Here's a fun but weird question for Ed and THO during this season of sending holiday mail and packages. It may have been asked before, not sure.

Do different nations in the Realms have "package delivery" and mail services? I'm wondering specifically about Cormyr and Waterdeep, but what about places like the Dales, the Swordcoast, Amn, or more independent cities throughout the heartlands?

If so, do some nations do this through the crown? Or is this one of those things that is more the purview of extremely wealthy people who have their own private runners? (Perhaps all of the above?)

How would mailing packages be handled, especially when crossing national borders? Early on, I'd imagine that very rich people would just hire couriers. But in the more "renaissance" age, with very large cities like Waterdeep, Athkatla, and Suzail, would very expensive personal couriers evolve into guilds that have "mail networks" and outlets in cities across the Realms?

If guilds exist, would they offer insurance on package delivery? And if crossing national borders, would magical package-scanning be done in order to prevent or reduce smuggling or transportation of dangerous goods? (I just had a really humorous image come to mind of an old Cormyrean War Wizard magically scanning packages, bored out of his mind)... (and another of a put-upon War Wizard in a Crown Mail Office reading off a long list of NO-NOs for transport, such as magical items, live animals, toxic substances, and poisons).

So many questions... how does mail and package delivery work in the Realms? And how expensive would it be for just an ordinary letter within a city or a package perhaps going from Suzail to Athkatla?

(apologies if this has been asked before... my search tool isn't turning anything up yet...)

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 12 Dec 2013 17:56:11
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  17:53:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Ed,

How old is Lurue to the realms? I've always gotten the feeling that she was an old god. However, Powers and Pantheons says that she was foaled basically after Mielikki was in the realms (because Lurue appeared on a shaft of moonlight in front of Mielikki). Just wondering, is Lurue something like a Phoenix that is "reborn" if she martyrs herself?

As an addendum to that question, its noted in the old Faiths & Avatars that Mielikki was a Toril bound goddess until the time of troubles. Since she was known as a multi-spheric being, this makes me think that PERHAPS like the Mulan Gods, the Finnish Pantheon was forced to send manifestations of their deities to Toril. This is SOMEWHAT further supported because Loviatar was also a demipower in the old grey box. I do note that the old "On Hallowed Ground" says that both Loviatar and Mielikki came to Toril as a hedge bet to keep themselves alive when their pantheon was fading.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  21:50:14  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ed,

How old is Lurue to the realms? I've always gotten the feeling that she was an old god. However, Powers and Pantheons says that she was foaled basically after Mielikki was in the realms (because Lurue appeared on a shaft of moonlight in front of Mielikki). Just wondering, is Lurue something like a Phoenix that is "reborn" if she martyrs herself?

This is an excellent question, we know from a previous post by Ed that Lurue was the original home campaign Realms deity of all magic but nothing actually mentions her 'age'.

Are we to assume that she is at least as old as Mystra (if not older), given the Selune/Shar incident that birthed the goddess of magic? is it possible they created Lurue instead of Mystra, or was Lurue ('The Weave') already in place (perhaps dormant and untapped) and Mystra manifested from the weave and took a more 'solid' form because of the actions of Selune and Shar?

I really really like this question, looking forward to hearing from Ed on this one

Cheers

Damian
ps of course given what Ed says below that Lurue is Toril, is Lurue actually Chauntea or at least the proto-Chauntea (the planet) either before or during the time that Shar and Selune 'came into existence'? Is she in fact the oldest deity (apart from AO) that the Realms has, the magic from which sprang all the other Gods and Godlets?

Originally, Lurue WAS magic—before Julia Martin added the name “Weave” to my GenCon explanations of ‘the great web of magic that’s everywhere in Toril, binds Toril together, and IS Toril,’ Lurue was the embodiment of the Weave. As such, she could teleport without error or limit, through all barriers and spells, was immune to all known magical [and psionic] effects, could raise dead, heal, regenerate and restore with the touch of her horn—and also spew silver fire from it—and so on. Her very proximity dispels illusions and curses, purifies and neutralizes poisons and taints, and purges diseases. And on and on. [To the usual chorus of “Look, yet another all-powerful Greenwood munchkin!” I reply: Yes. Of course. This is THE all-powerful goddess, and she’s also whimsical. We can’t understand why she does what she does, so she can’t be controlled, or act like any sort of tyrannical munchkin, any more than a mountain range or an ocean can be.] She tended to be as curious as a newborn babe, utterly fearless, and kind to injured creatures. And yes, I tucked in the “patron of virgins, but can also make barren wombs bear” folklore, too. Only virgins could ride her, and those who did got that silver hair the Chosen who are Mystra’s daughters all share, and ‘wild talent’ innate magical abilities, and were marked for special tasks and achievements all their lives.

The TSR designers quite rightly (given the humanocentric core of that version of AD&D, with its level and power limits on non-humans) wanted human gods to be front and center and of the greatest power and importance, so Mystra (most important to intelligent creatures trying to USE magic) became also the Guardian or Mother of the Weave, and Lurue sort of . . . danced sideways. To become the awe-inspiring mystery she is now.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 12 Dec 2013 21:53:18
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  02:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Therise, I'm sure that has been asked before (though my memory falters if it was here at Candlekeep or on the old Realms listserv or elsewhere). Ed said temples have always had temple-to-temple couriers and have always made money by carrying items and messages for parishioners, and trading costers have always done the same thing (I think doing so was one of the things that made a "coster" different from a "priakos") . . . but I'm hoping Ed surfaces to give you a new reply, himself. Because he always drops a new tidbit or two along the way...
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  02:15:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Greetings to you Ed,

I've yet another query regarding older Realmslore that I hope the lovely Lady Hooded One can ferry to your virtual shores.

Currently, I'm re-reading the PDF of The Code of the Harpers. I came across a little tidbit that I'm having difficult finding further information for [assuming it has been elaborated on, officially, elsewhere]. So I thought it best to come directly to the source.

Specifically, my query pertains to this section of text on pg. 18 [printed version]:-
quote:
After the caravan had been scattered by another brigand attack (led by a vampire), Mestrel wandered alone and came upon an ancient ruined city somewhere east of the Glittering Spires - a city inhabited only by ghouls and vultures. In a shattered hall he found magical treasures and a glowing, beckoning oval of radiance. Boldly he snatched up the magic and stepped into the cold embrace of the light, knowing he was entering a magical gate-but not knowing where it led. And so it was that as the year drew to a close, Mestrel the Harper disappeared.
Until he reports back, none of the other Harpers of Faerűn will know where the gate leads, either.
I'm wondering whether the ruined city was ever named/referenced elsewhere in the Realmslore? Also, was the fate of Mestrel ever revealed? Or, for that fact, where the magical gate led to?

Many thanks, as always, to you both for assisting me with these queries.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  02:29:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
There is an earlier entry on altar-sworn priests, who deliver goods and other items of importance, all over the realms.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

astion
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  05:28:10  Show Profile Send astion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Re. this: "But entire population of cormyr is 1.5 millon people at large."
I follow your math and your reasoning, astion, but where does this figure come from? A recent canon source, I'm guessing...
Or for that matter, this: "How Cormyr manage to get about 500 (or even 2000) loyal and lawfull war wizards?"

Population count of Cormyr- from "Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3.0"
and War wizards numbers from "War wizards of Cormyr" article there in candlekeep and from "Volo guide to Cormyr" (90 war wizards in Suzail, about 60 in Marsember, fit well with 500 at all)
quote:

...Because I remember Ed talking about how surprisingly (to me, at least) few War Wizards Cormyr had, at various points in its history. Even the 500 figure seems high to me.
BB

For me too, 100-150 look much more reasonable
But ill be waitin for further clarification and will adjust either - population of Cormyr, number of war wizards or percentage of "wizardy capable" in forest kingdom

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm not Ed, but Cormyrian war Wizards don't all come from Cormyr's population.

I can think of three (both past and present) who are definitely not 'Cormyrian'. In fact, one of those has a status that outranks even the Royal Wizard (Elminster... who else? ).

So Cormyr suck all nearby lands dry of spellcasters?
i can belive that, but than spellcasters in , say Sembia or Westgate must be much more valuable , prestigious and wage way more than in other lands. If they wage more in, say Sembia, cost of recruting will rise for Cormyr , but Cormyr already almost bankrupt.
Seems like supply and demand highly against that assumption. (besides dubious loyalties of foreign mages)
PS
Thanks for replies!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  14:45:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First, NO to the above. There are several lands who 'frown' upon arcane casters. There are also plenty of 'backwaters' that produce people with magical talent. When someone from those places wants to learn magic - and not risk death at the hands of people like the Zhents or Thay - they will try to find the place where they can get the knowledge they seek, without having to sacrifice their morality in the process (although morality in The Realms is a bit more ambiguous then on our world). Thus, given the choices, you wind up in Cormyr (Candlekeep requires a 'cover price', and Halruaa requires you to be Halruaan). The land simply attracts these types like moths to a flame. That also doesn't mean that Cormyr isn't above 'poaching' talent when they see it.

Second - Lurue. I am now wondering if she is some sort of 'vestige'; a 'leftover' from some previous 'deity of magic'.

Third, I need a question. Ed, did any of your players ever make it up to Sossal? If so, is there anything at all you can share about that?

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Greetings to you Ed,

I've yet another query regarding older Realmslore that I hope the lovely Lady Hooded One can ferry to your virtual shores.

Currently, I'm re-reading the PDF of The Code of the Harpers. I came across a little tidbit that I'm having difficult finding further information for [assuming it has been elaborated on, officially, elsewhere]. So I thought it best to come directly to the source.

Specifically, my query pertains to this section of text on pg. 18 [printed version]:-
quote:
After the caravan had been scattered by another brigand attack (led by a vampire), Mestrel wandered alone and came upon an ancient ruined city somewhere east of the Glittering Spires - a city inhabited only by ghouls and vultures. In a shattered hall he found magical treasures and a glowing, beckoning oval of radiance. Boldly he snatched up the magic and stepped into the cold embrace of the light, knowing he was entering a magical gate-but not knowing where it led. And so it was that as the year drew to a close, Mestrel the Harper disappeared.
Until he reports back, none of the other Harpers of Faerűn will know where the gate leads, either.
I'm wondering whether the ruined city was ever named/referenced elsewhere in the Realmslore? Also, was the fate of Mestrel ever revealed? Or, for that fact, where the magical gate led to?

Many thanks, as always, to you both for assisting me with these queries.
I asked a related question myself, some time ago. I asked if the fate of the Harper was ever discovered.

As for the city... Note on my Hordelands Map the city of 'Fanlaag', in The Plain of Horses. I named it myself, so the name isn't canon. It was a good place for that city, however. I had some homebrew to go with that odd location (it was a former penal colony of Ruamathar, and once held the infamous Copper demon of Troos). Because really awful 'magical experimentation' also took place there, the name was an 'Orientalized' version of 'Stalag'. Once again, homebrew...

But I eagerly await a response from Ed as well.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Dec 2013 14:50:54
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  15:45:46  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Therise, I'm sure that has been asked before (though my memory falters if it was here at Candlekeep or on the old Realms listserv or elsewhere). Ed said temples have always had temple-to-temple couriers and have always made money by carrying items and messages for parishioners, and trading costers have always done the same thing (I think doing so was one of the things that made a "coster" different from a "priakos") . . . but I'm hoping Ed surfaces to give you a new reply, himself. Because he always drops a new tidbit or two along the way...
BB

Temple priests as couriers, wow interesting. I really like that concept. And I kind of suspected that trade costers would do similar package/mail delivery.

Now that you mention it, I have a vague old memory of someone asking about a pony express or something, and that could have been here or on the old Realms listserv. With time and some of the changes to Google, etc, my search-fu just isn't hitting anything. I really wish I could remember better.

But thanks! And hopefully Ed or THO can flesh out some more answers on mail and package delivery. I'm especially curious if Cormyr ever tried a delivery service as a function of the Crown - but not just for official Crown business... did they ever try (or do they have now) a Crown-run public mail service, and what might that look like?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  16:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi.
astion, re. this: "but Cormyr already almost bankrupt."
Nope. Can't be. The Crystal Grot, remember?
War Wizards travel all over the country (see ELMINSTER ENRAGED) and then there are handfuls of "duty" War Wizards at settlements (small handfuls if it's not a near-border place like Thunderstone or strategic/troubled like Arabel and Marsember). I think we have to be very wary when extrapolating "if there's X in Suzail, then there must be Y elsewhere." The great bulk of EVERYTHING happens in Suzail (where the Court is, and the busiest port that's also the place where most nobles gather at any one time), and it's where Vangey and Caladnei wanted the most spying eyes on said nobles, so of course there will be a large number there.
As for "suck from surrounding lands"...Sembia is awash in wealth and entreprenurial activity, so they can hire all the wizards they want (and there are probably more mercenary-minded, independent wizards in the world than there are those who want to be loyal to the Dragon Throne or want to be told what to do and how to behave; witness all the War Wizard bumblers depicted in Ed's Sage of Shadowdale trilogy).
Not trying to shoot you down, just pointing out relevant points re. the issue. Hoping Ed will elucidate, of course...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  16:49:24  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
I have a feeling I might know where both of the gates referenced in the earlier questions (i.e. Stonelands and missing Harper) might lead, but I'll keep my speculations to myself until we hear from the font of lore himself (or his charming designated lore sharing representative)...

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  21:00:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
To The Sage and Markustay, Ed saith that the fate of Mestrel the Harper is still NDA. "For now," he added.
Ah, to be cryptic and mysterious...

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  00:45:51  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Has Ed ever mentioned any superstions of Realmsfolk?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  05:37:20  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
I posted the following queries in another thread but decided to get some info from the renowned sages Ed and THO. I'm basically curious about adventuring charters in Cormyr.

1. Groups lose and recruit new members, do the new members have to be declared?
2. As the original group goes into retirement, are other members allowed to retain the charter? In other words, would the charter be allowed to continue in perpetuity?
3. Or, would the charter effectively be void once the final founding member is dead? And, if so, would the charter be renewable by the other members.
4. What are the limits to the charter? Such as limits on number of members or limitations on races allowed.
5. What are their duties (aside from alerting the Crown to possible threats)? Are they REQUIRED, as a stipulation of the charter, to make themselves available for service to the Crown in times of crisis (either with or without pay)?
6. Does the Crown have any obligations to the charter. For instance, would the charter members be allowed certain courtesies (such as the custom of lodging for knights during Medieval times).

Any other information outside those basic questions will, of course, be received with much gratitude.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 16 Dec 2013 05:37:45
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  17:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I posted the following queries in another thread but decided to get some info from the renowned sages Ed and THO. I'm basically curious about adventuring charters in Cormyr.

1. Groups lose and recruit new members, do the new members have to be declared?
2. As the original group goes into retirement, are other members allowed to retain the charter? In other words, would the charter be allowed to continue in perpetuity?
3. Or, would the charter effectively be void once the final founding member is dead? And, if so, would the charter be renewable by the other members.
4. What are the limits to the charter? Such as limits on number of members or limitations on races allowed.
5. What are their duties (aside from alerting the Crown to possible threats)? Are they REQUIRED, as a stipulation of the charter, to make themselves available for service to the Crown in times of crisis (either with or without pay)?
6. Does the Crown have any obligations to the charter. For instance, would the charter members be allowed certain courtesies (such as the custom of lodging for knights during Medieval times).

Any other information outside those basic questions will, of course, be received with much gratitude.

1. Yes, new members must be declared, in the presence of a local lord or lord commander (such as the Lord Commander of High Horn), or other high officers of the realm.

2. Yes, in certain circumstances. Generally, "new" members not on the original charter must have already been prsented an declared before they are permitted to present and declare new members, so there's no joining up on the road, having the entire company killed off by a dragon, and having the lone newbie trudge back and restart the adventuring band. Only established members can carry on a charter.

3. No. See #2, above. However, a defunct company (that is, a chartered company with no surviving members) can have its name repurposed for a future company. This is the name only; even if the Court will allow the re-use of a name, the Heralds (these being the High Heralds) will not allow the re-use of any badge or heraldry to confuse the two companies with the same name. [See Chapter 9 of Swords of Eveningstar for an example of this phenomenon, when the future Knights of Myth Drannor could not choose for their name the 'Swords of Espar,' because members of that band still lived.]

4. Officially, the limit on membership is capped at 30 (30 is considered the dividing line between "huge adventuring company" and "mercenary company"). Unofficially, the Crown is uncomfortable with adventurers in groups larger than a dozen or so unless they register as mercenaries, because it knows full well the difference between the specialized strike-force nature of a group of adventurers and the masterless army that is a group of mercenaries.

5. Chartered adventurers must report hazards to the Crown, and are considered agents of the Crown when it comes to apprehending unchartered adveturers and unregistered mages. While no one can be pressed into service to the military except in an all-able-bodied-adults situation (like the war with Nalavara), the Crown can draft the charter--and, by extension, anyone named in it. Failure to appear won't result in revokation of the charter, but will prevent those named in the charter from being chartered again. The Crown does this very rarely, primarily with mercenary companies rather than adventuring bands, and always for pay.

6. Basically, the charter allows members to walk about the realm armed and armored, liveried, exploring ruins and facing down monsters without fear of reprisal or subjection to the common laws of salvage and recovery--which is to say: an adventuring band permitted to explore a ruin and coming out with an ancestral crown of a noble can sell that crown back to that noble's family for a hefty fee; a commoner who stumbles upon it can expect to have it demanded back and a small pouch of copper and silver tossed at his feet.

Of course, I assume Ed will have more, but hopefully, this helps.

Some more information about adventurer's charters, mercenary companies, fees, and other, more lofty matters, can be found in my Crowns and Mantles article from Dragon #407.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  17:57:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I've been busy designing a fortified way-inn and had a quick question. What kind of rates do these places charge for a nights stay? 25 to 50 gold a night? I'm curious if you could share what kind of costs are associated when adventurers stay at them. Thank you. :)
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  19:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
That sounds way high to me. Obviously it would vary from place to place (is there competition? is the region dangerous?), but I recall observing at an Ed-run Realms session at a convention in Toronto, Canada (Ed's hometown for years and years), and adventurers staying at a roadside inn in a dangerous area of the Sword Coast North paid 6 gp/head/night for basic lodging (stew and bread and "plain ale" and cold wash water included), it went up to 8 gp for a private room to sleep in, for 1 gp more a really good hot meat meal, and for 1 gp more unlimited good beer and sherry and zzar (patron's choice; can switch choices from tankard to tankard), and stabling was 2 gp on top of that (includes food, water, rubdown, blanket in winter, but it's 1 gp extra for horse doctoring and/or tack repairs).
I wrote it all down because I was interested in this for my campaign. If I remember rightly, the PC band negotiated a rate of 12 gp each that included it all: all you can eat and drink of the best wine and beer and food available, doctoring and pampering of their mounts - - which meant they all got roast fowl on skewers for the night, and a whole roast pig done overnight that got carved up so they could dine on it for morningfeast and then take it with them.
Hope Ed or THO can add to this/correct it if I got anything wrong.
BB
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  21:06:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

(from Ed)
This is THE all-powerful goddess, and she’s also whimsical. We can’t understand why she does what she does, so she can’t be controlled, or act like any sort of tyrannical munchkin, any more than a mountain range or an ocean can be.] She tended to be as curious as a newborn babe, utterly fearless, and kind to injured creatures. And yes, I tucked in the “patron of virgins, but can also make barren wombs bear” folklore, too.

This reminds me of Alanis Morissette's portrayal of God in the movie Dogma. Awesome... in the real sense of the word, not the popular usage. There's philosophy and both simplicity and depth there. Awe-inspiring mystery, indeed.

Is the Dogma comparison valid, Ed? Obviously there's more to Lurue than that performance but I like it as an inspiration. Actually it's been quite a while since I've watched it, so I should probably watch it again before commenting, but I'm a shoot-from-the-hip kind of questioner.

Also: I hope all is well up there in the frozen north, and Happy Holidays to all!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 18 Dec 2013 21:07:13
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  01:16:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Dogma was very 'deep' for a stoner movie. Its like I always say, you find useful lore in the strangest places.

Ed, do you foresee WotC allowing authors to write novels set in all eras, or do you think they'll have to use the sneaky 'flashback thingy' (that you are so famous for) to help back-fill in Realmslore?

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Dec 2013 01:18:09
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2013 :  20:31:44  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Dogma was very 'deep' for a stoner movie. Its like I always say, you find useful lore in the strangest places.

Like the Golgothan poop demon.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2013 :  16:42:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Just checking in on my way through an airport. . .
To confirm that Blueblade wrote down everything correctly, all those years ago: the inn rates and terms are what I have in my notes, too (obviously, prices vary from place to place, competition and location being the main factors, but the "model" Blueblade set forth is correct).
Must run, darned boarding calls...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2013 :  16:56:40  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Thanks THO and Blueblade! :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 20 Dec 2013 16:57:00
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2013 :  20:48:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
A public service announcement to Ed fans who enjoy reading fiction outside the Realms...

BY FAERIE LIGHT is out from Broken Eye Books: eighteen tales of the fae in hardcover, edited by Scott Gable and featuring Jennifer Brozek, James L. Sutter, Dave Gross, Elaine Cunningham, Erin Hoffman, Shanna Germain, Cat Rambo, Jeffrey Scott Petersen, Christie Yant, Lillian Cohen-Moore, Torah Cottrill, Erik Scott de Bie, Andrew Romine, Ed Greenwood, Amber E. Scott, Jaym Gates, Nathan Crowder, and more...listed on Amazon, ISBN is 1940372038, ISBN-13 is 978-1940372037

. . . AND, Ed's been a busy boy! If you don't mind pdf e-books only (more formats to come), head on over to: http://theedverse.com/
. . . and pick up a FREE suitable for reading aloud Christmas story (Ed does one of these a year, and has done for more than a decade, so I suspect there'll be an anthology of them coming in the future!); apparently the site sends you a password in the fullness of time...

or, at the same site, buy an e-book of five Ed short stories, two horror tales and three light (which means MAINLY humorous) fantasies, entitled PLATTER OF SURPRISES, Volume 1. Ed tells me two good friends have started up this site for him and great things are planned for the future (but likely for the next little while, there'll be individual e-stories for purchase, more Platter short e-books, and lots of fun free content at the site, where Ed will hang out with those of us who like to hang out with Ed).
I've read most of the stories in PLATTER, and at least two of the fantasies are EACH worth the price of admission, on their own.

And Ed also tells me he just finished up a big Realms project, and has given himself half a day off to wrap Christmas presents before he charges ahead into the NEXT big Realms project!!!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000