Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  18:33:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
I was curious if there are any other small villages or towns in the Daggerdale area aside from what we've seen on published maps? Being monster country and long suffering under the Zhents I'm guessing lots of town ruins, but just wanted to see if you had some input. Thanks. :)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  22:29:39  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Tis a good point, Markus, but when did Ed or THO last have a normal/predictable/expected response to any situation? How could their other friends/players possibly let such a golden opportunity pass by?

Did I just say that?

Storm's gonna pop into my living room and kick my butt again.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 29 Jan 2013 22:32:27
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  15:25:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Don't you WISH.
Actually, Storm's in here with me. Girls gotta keep warm at this time of year, up here in the Great White North.
Seriously, regarding Torm: there are LOTS of people in the Realms named for various gods. TSR just cut back on them in published Realmslore from the beginning, to Dispel Confusion. Ed has often related the tale of the demon AStharoth and the devil Ashtaroth, taking turns shoqing up when the mortal summoning them or calling on them wanted "the other one," and so didn't prepare for properly controlling who actually appeared (heh heh).
But yes, Torm being Torm, he tried that a time or two. And promptly disovered, as many have before him, that when you make jokes about people's faith, they often don't tend to find that humour as particularly funny.
Ah, well. Get yer butt ready; Storm's on her way . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  15:58:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Don't you WISH.
Actually, Storm's in here with me. Girls gotta keep warm at this time of year, up here in the Great White North.
Seriously, regarding Torm: there are LOTS of people in the Realms named for various gods. TSR just cut back on them in published Realmslore from the beginning, to Dispel Confusion. Ed has often related the tale of the demon AStharoth and the devil Ashtaroth, taking turns shoqing up when the mortal summoning them or calling on them wanted "the other one," and so didn't prepare for properly controlling who actually appeared (heh heh).
But yes, Torm being Torm, he tried that a time or two. And promptly disovered, as many have before him, that when you make jokes about people's faith, they often don't tend to find that humour as particularly funny.
Ah, well. Get yer butt ready; Storm's on her way . . .
love,
THO

Actually, my lady, down here in Florida, it's considerably warmer than it is in the Great White North. Perhaps you and Storm should come down here, so I can help both of you stay warm.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  16:05:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Don't you WISH.
You are, of course, more than welcome to join myself and the Lady K here in this Great Hot Southern Land, my lovely lady.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  16:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Hooded Lady,

Quick one for you or Ed or both: I need the elven words for 'raven' and 'leaning'. If those two lead to an unexpected deluge of elven lore: so be it. We shall all bask in the windfall... ;)

Cheers,

Karth
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  17:51:11  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message

Thankya. The Astharoth/Ashtaroth thing is pretty funny. There's another case in the lore somewhere about Asmodeus renaming a devil who annoyed him, so that he would have the same name as a much more famous demon lord...

Two of them actually... Dagon and Azazel. (my turn to check notes)

And Ed wrote the article, in Dragon 91. He likes confusion, doesn't he.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  18:23:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Karth, if by "raven" you mean the bird, it's "thimril" in elder days, and "thimron" nowadays in the Realms, according to Ed. "Raven" as despoil, ravage, and plunder is "urlril."
For "leaning" do you mean tilting or at an angle, or tending towards/drifting towards/inclining towards?
love,
THO
Who appreciates the kind offers of Wolly Rupert and The Sage. One of these days...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  19:48:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And now I am reminded of the episode of Big Bang Theory wherein Sheldon had a female Physicist friend 'get frisky' with the other three ner.. err.. men. One of my favorites.

Quick Question: Which of the two Seven Sisters almost killed each other? I have some memory of the event (I don't believe they knew who each other were then), but I can't recall the specifics.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

NineCoronas
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  20:14:14  Show Profile Send NineCoronas a Private Message
I'm looking for an Elven (dialect, Everaskan, if there is one) translation for "Beautiful Butcher".
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  00:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Karth, if by "raven" you mean the bird, it's "thimril" in elder days, and "thimron" nowadays in the Realms, according to Ed. "Raven" as despoil, ravage, and plunder is "urlril."
For "leaning" do you mean tilting or at an angle, or tending towards/drifting towards/inclining towards?
love,
THO
Who appreciates the kind offers of Wolly Rupert and The Sage. One of these days...

Ack... Apologies, I guess that wasn't clear enough. Raven as in the bird, yes. Thank you. Leaning as in tilting or at an angle. As in a leaning tree or leaning tower...
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  02:30:35  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And now I am reminded of the episode of Big Bang Theory wherein Sheldon had a female Physicist friend 'get frisky' with the other three ner.. err.. men. One of my favorites.

Quick Question: Which of the two Seven Sisters almost killed each other? I have some memory of the event (I don't believe they knew who each other were then), but I can't recall the specifics.

From the Seven Sisters sourcebook, it was Laeral and Sylune who nearly killed eachother in battle near Luskan. Mystra intervened and asked them to be Chosen.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  03:18:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ah, okay.

Thanks Seravin.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  17:05:32  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello All

Ed are there any rules on naming of a newborn into the Obarskyr family? Any precedents that need to be followed, any names not allowed etc?

And feel free to extend this to the Silver houses and other prominent nobles families as well, (am wondering if more 'common-folk' names ever make it into a noble house?)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  18:03:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Damian, this is by no means a proper answer, but I can tell you from play that commoner names do make it into noble families (and that some noble mothers love to create new names by mashing together other names they've heard, that catch their fancy), but that most Cormyrean noble babies are loaded down with lots of family names evoking revered or dear recently departed ancestors.

Ed just provided me with an example to share with you until he can craft a longer reply:

Fendarl and Daerthra Illance (Fendarl is a cousin of the current heir, and his wife Daerthra a Huntinglance by birth) recently had a son, usually known formally as Darvyn, and within the family as "Dar."
His full, formal name is Andemarl Daryn Trevilar Hothon Baerilym Dathmur Illance.
Andemarl is his paternal grandfather's name, Daryn was a "new" name for the family when it was borne by Dar's paternal great-great-great grandfather, Trevilar is the name of Dar's maternal father, Hothon an old and oft-used Huntinglance name, Baerilym the name of a long-ago "war hero" Illance remembered for his distinguished battlefield service, and Dathmur is a common name in Cormyr (and so, much used by lower and middle class citizens) that's new to the Illances, so far as their written records go back.

I would say the lorryload of given names Dar received is fairly typical of noble-born sons or daughters. Who of course never habitually use more than two of them: the one they prefer, and the one the family uses for them. Disapproving elder aunts, El told me years back, often find out what name a person most hates and use it when "talking down" to the kin they wish to cow, embarrass, lecture, or denounce.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

NineCoronas
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  23:07:22  Show Profile Send NineCoronas a Private Message
Also, second follow up question I'm sure has been asked before... are evil races evil because they are born straight evil, or is it their culture that makes them evil? Is it wrong for a Paladin to slaughter a bunch of Kobold children babies because someday they MAY be evil?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  00:12:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
There are many Realmslore examples of non-Evil individuals born to Evil races. Drizzt (CG drow ranger) is of course the most famous example. What if Drizzt was murdered as an infant, or murdered during his evil youth?

Putting the questions of individual potential and redemption aside ... I would say slaughtering infants is never a good act, even if it's done with good intentions. Philosophers have studied these problems for ages. Paladins must reconcile their own ethics (deontological vs utilitarian) while finding a path which remains true to their morals. Troubled paladins can always seek guidance through prayer and faith.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Feb 2013 00:14:43
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  00:35:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@NineCoronas - you just inspired some very odd and evil thoughts for my next campaign - thanks.

(a paladin-run 'orphanage' that kills the children when they come of age)

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Feb 2013 00:36:05
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  00:37:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hokay, another query about trees. 'cuz trees are awesome.

This is prompted by a pictorial sort of trivia chart thing: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/76116_543054235715592_1494354890_n.jpg

The "wildest trunk", oldest single-clonal and non-clonal, "biggest" (in terms of estimated mass), and tallest trees in the world. ...I don't even know what single/non-clonal means.

So, query: what species of trees in the Realms would answer these and other "min/max" sorts of trivia questions? Excluding unique intelligent entities, I think.

Does the Realms have a type of tree that can theoretically stand for 10,000 years, or approach 40 feet in diameter or 400 feet in height?

Of course the trees referenced in this pic are unique and not all members of the species will be so exceptional. Just curious about which ones are most likely to reach extreme dimensions or hardiness or whatever.

Highest elevation would also be a neat factoid.

Also... odd thought just occurred to me. Since there are a few places where cities/realms have been sunk for various reasons... are there any cases where forests have continued to thrive underwater due to... anything? Maybe a mythal, or a long-lasting wild magic flare, or an aquatic druid... something like a duskwood stand, underwater for 200 years and still not rotting?

Perhaps I should file that cool mental image under "just too odd."
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  02:43:20  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
but that most Cormyrean noble babies are loaded down with lots of family names evoking revered or dear recently departed ancestors.

love,
THO

excellent post THO, many many thanks to Ed for the answer

Cheers

Damian
who is off to work on some more long and convoluted family naming traditions for nobles in Cormyr

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 01 Feb 2013 02:44:11
Go to Top of Page

MaskedOne
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  03:39:09  Show Profile Send MaskedOne a Private Message
NineCoronas:

Won't speak to the born evil question but...
the Paladin would be butchering those who are incapable of even attempting to defend themselves. I'd think that a Paladin's mandate to oppose evil has to start within the Paladin himself and the cold-blooded slaughter of infants should in most cases have the Paladin's god asking whether his servant has become the evil that he was commissioned to oppose.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  09:21:19  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Re Paladin's:

I am sure we don't want to derail Ed's thread with what is good/bad and how alignment works - perhaps worth taking this to another scroll?

Ed has said many times before that the Realms world view is not as we view it as a 'modern 21st century western european' world view regarding evil/violence/sex/monsters.

When playing in the Realms you need to think Realms

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  16:10:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well said, Damian! That last sentence should be a touchstone for us all.
It's of course fine to run your own version of the Realms any way you want, and meet your players' sensibilities and views and preferences so everyone enjoys the gaming as much as possible - - but for discussing the shared or canon Realms, "think Realms" first and foremost, and much of the hard feelings and misunderstandings can be avoided.
As Ed's Dad used to say: "One man's Mede is another man's poisson" (Ah, I love triple puns...)
love,
THO
P.S. Was discussing Cormyrean nobility with Ed last night, and he reminded me that we Knights have stumbled on a mystery regarding House Haelrood. That I'll tell you more about once we dig into it more and have some results to share...
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  17:30:36  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO.

Ed, there are many Realms stories I'd like to see in print (and I'm sure you would too).

Can we please add a request to see a short story featuring Lord Crakehall and his daily doings to the top of that mountainous list?

That dude is awesome.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  18:15:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring you the latest words of Ed:

Jeremy, I would LOVE to do a Lord Crakehall story. My copious free time isn't, these days, and the good folks at Wizards and I would have to hit upon where and how to publish it (perhaps as a website freebie, but of course I have to do the Spin A Yarn tale first) - - however, rest assured that I do indeed have a huge heap of Stuff I Really Wanna Do, and it's been added to that. :}
Perhaps I can get permission to do a GenCon hand-photocopied giveaway chapbook, as per the good old days, then present it on the Wizards website . . .
I will Talk To The Right People, and We Shall See.

Heh. So saith Ed. Who is very happy for a Realms author who has some great news to share, soon...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  19:11:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
....And Ed tells me he can now reveal that the great news is that Jaleigh Johnson has a new middle grade (as in: for younger readers than some of us) fantasy novel (non-Realms; this setting and tale are all her own) coming out, entitled THE MARK OF THE DRAGONFLY. It may well be part of a series.
Ed and I are both "greedy readers" who want more, more, more to add to our already groaning bookshelves, so this is indeed great news.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  04:27:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
What is middle grade fantasy? Stuff like Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  08:34:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
There seem to be an awful lot of age-categories in publishing these days - I seem to recall that once it was just Picture books, Kid books (in the case of one Swedish publisher, who I will save from mentioning the name of here, colour-coded so that you would know if the book was for boys or for girls [all the girls I've talked to about it says they read the boys books, cause the stuff for girls was boring, harmless crap, whereas the boys got adventures and pranks and standing up to adults]), and Grown-Up literature which you started reading once you'd grown out of Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl*.

*Though, personally, I pity anyone who's grown out of Roald Dahl's kid books.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  16:36:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Kajehase, I agree, but it's human nature to categorize, rank, and pigeon-hole, and it is the nature of marketing execs at publishers to invent new terminology and genre classifications in attempts to "focus" on "target readers" - - and so on. I'm with you, as is Ed. We both re-read picture books regularly with delight, not just "grownups' books."
Not that I've ever been in any danger of growing up, you understand.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  17:29:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Harry Potter was aimed at 'young adults'. Thank goodness everyone ignored that.

A LOT of marketing is based on the premise that customers are too stupid to make their own decisions, so companies have to help them with 'suggestions'. We wouldn't need all this 'demographics' BS if they'd just realize people can think for themselves (most, anyway).

And so I don't get into trouble (and because I just thought of this this morning while watching a News broadcast about today being Groundhog Day), here's a not-so-serious question: If a Shade sees his Shadow, can we expect another six weeks of winter?

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2013 17:29:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000