Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  13:05:04  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Um, Ed's birthday is in July..... at least according to his wiki page. But, then again, time does pass differently in Canada...

Well, I still hold to my blessings, though... So, Happy Unbirthday, Ed! May you ever be, just like the Ssrinshee!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  16:47:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
I'm going to miss them. :(

I also have a new respect for Larloch, the way he played everyone, they were all like children to him. That is truly scary!

I always had thought the Srinshee would be the one to give Larloch a run for his money. Pretty high cost to be paid this time though. Looking forward to Ed's next installment. Hope we see a new campaign guide soon too! ;)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  04:47:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
is there any chance to see Vangey in a new body or is he doomed to be a psuedo construct( havent read Herald yet to know if anything happened to him since)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  10:50:01  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Gracious Lady, Revered Master

can you share any information on the city of Nathlekh (the "City of Cats") at the fringes of the Gulthmere Forest? The little i found in published sources (Powers & Pantheons under the Nobanion entry) make it sound like a really interesting place with its mysterious Council of the Cat Lords, were-felines and felines roaming freely, justice administered by a trio of greater lammasu in the main temple of Nobanion and twin temples of Nobanion and Sharess.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  06:36:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well Again Ed and THO,

It's been awhile. I hope you find these questions--inspired by a reading of the first few pages of The Name of the Rose--to be interesting.

The word patristic refers to early Christian writers that influenced the Church through their works.

(1) This leaves me wondering if there aren't several words in the Realms (in Common or any other human language) that similarly refer to the early works of thought leaders and theologians/thinkers of any of the numerous deities that are worshiped in the modern Realms (pre- and post-Sundering)?

I'm hoping for a word (or words) having to do with religious and scholarly thinking styles for the Church of Tymora, but that are drawn from writings done when there was only Tyche.

(2) When Tyche became Beshaba and Tymora, was there any sort of conflict over the written works (such as they existed) left from the remnants of Tyche's Church?

I'm wondering if there isn't, to this day, covert battles as members of each faith tries to infiltrate the strongholds and temples of the other to recover works that one side feels rightly belongs to the other, or to capture important works from sages and collectors so that one side might deprive the other of a work thought to contain powerful secrets or a means to gain advantage in the Beshaba/Tymora struggle, that might lead to overt conflict and/or require adventurers.

(3) Recently I learned about something called "canonical hours", like Matins (2:30 - 3 a.m.) and Vespers (approx. 4:30 pm or perhaps sunset). Did priests or the faithful of Tyche in certain parts of the Realms ever divide up the day with words that corresponded to periods of time, where the words had to do with waxing and waning of good and bad fortune?

Thank you both, as always.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 15 Jun 2014 06:40:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  07:46:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

(2) When Tyche became Beshaba and Tymora, was there any sort of conflict over the written works (such as they existed) left from the remnants of Tyche's Church?

I'm wondering if there isn't, to this day, covert battles as members of each faith tries to infiltrate the strongholds and temples of the other to recover works that one side feels rightly belongs to the other, or to capture important works from sages and collectors so that one side might deprive the other of a work thought to contain powerful secrets or a means to gain advantage in the Beshaba/Tymora struggle, that might lead to overt conflict and/or require adventurers.

To expand upon this... What about other items that were once sacred to Tyche?

And on a related note... How well-known, in the two descendant churches, is Tyche and her fate? Do the members of either church have any special terminology for that split?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  12:54:04  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
As a humble little fan fiction/illustrating project I set myself the challenge of documenting the deeds of a Forgotten Realms adventuring band as a pulpy, episodic web comic. Now of course I could create said band from scratch, but I’ve always been intrigued by those adventuring bands Ed mentions in an off-hand way in his many Realms writings. I’m not talking about the famous folks here (e.g. Knights of Myth Drannor/Company of Crazed Venturers/Mane’s Band etc.), but rather those that get an incidental sentence and then are never spoken of again. I thought it might be fun to put one of these bands in the spotlight and tell their story.

Flipping through various old books for such references, I particularly liked the Company of the Bound Dragon, and thought they might suit my project. They are mentioned on page 139 of Volo’s Guide to Cormyr, most notably because Quiral o’ the Blades was once a member (side note: does the Hooded One have any reminiscences of Quiral?).

I wondered whether Ed could expand at all on the deeds of the Company of the Bound Dragon (love the name!), most notably:

• Members of the company (perhaps including who fell in battle and who lived to retire etc.)
• A few notable deeds
• Heraldry
• How they got their name

Perhaps a lot to ask of our perpetually busy Ed, but I know he loves to fill us in on the doings of the ‘lesser’ heroes!

In humble thanks as ever – MalariaMoon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  13:14:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Well Again Ed and THO,

It's been awhile. I hope you find these questions--inspired by a reading of the first few pages of The Name of the Rose--to be interesting.

The word patristic refers to early Christian writers that influenced the Church through their works.

(1) This leaves me wondering if there aren't several words in the Realms (in Common or any other human language) that similarly refer to the early works of thought leaders and theologians/thinkers of any of the numerous deities that are worshiped in the modern Realms (pre- and post-Sundering)?

I'm hoping for a word (or words) having to do with religious and scholarly thinking styles for the Church of Tymora, but that are drawn from writings done when there was only Tyche.

(3) Recently I learned about something called "canonical hours", like Matins (2:30 - 3 a.m.) and Vespers (approx. 4:30 pm or perhaps sunset). Did priests or the faithful of Tyche in certain parts of the Realms ever divide up the day with words that corresponded to periods of time, where the words had to do with waxing and waning of good and bad fortune?

Thank you both, as always.

Hmmmm, now this opens up an interesting idea. Will the churches of Lathander, Amauanator, and possibly even Horus-Re begin some kind of covert war over artifacts of "the sun god". My thoughts on Horus-Re would be more having to protect them from the Faerunian interlopers' worshippers (if the Mulhorandi return), followed by retaliatory strikes in kind.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2014 :  22:48:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Jeremy, proper answers will have to come from Ed (who is busier this month than I have ever known him to be; he's actually be turning down new assignments!!!), but as to this one: "(3) Recently I learned about something called "canonical hours", like Matins (2:30 - 3 a.m.) and Vespers (approx. 4:30 pm or perhaps sunset). Did priests or the faithful of Tyche in certain parts of the Realms ever divide up the day with words that corresponded to periods of time, where the words had to do with waxing and waning of good and bad fortune?"
So far as I know, waxing and waning times of fortune were never made formal among those who venerate Tyche, but kept personal (a given individual pays attention to signs from the goddess, such as what visions appear in their dreams after a prayer for guidance, and judges from "what the goddess sends them" whether to try something or avoid something, based on how good they think their PERSONAL chances will be).
However, I know that many monasteries, nunneries, and abbeys in the Realms use canonical hours/daily "offices," the clock around, to "order their devotional lives," these observances (names, timing, etc.) specific to their faith.
Hope that helps, as a start.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  13:43:27  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message
Greetings, Ed and THO!

I've been wondering for some time now about this, and decided that I should ask Ed, as "THE" father of all Realmslore.

How "ye olde magic shoppes" operate in your campaigns, in your vision on the Realms ? How are they advertised ? How interested people learn about them ? What meets your eye inside such places ? Are the wares kept on wooden shelves or maybe suspended magically in midair ? How do you steal things from such store and what measures owners take to prevent theft ?

Many, many questions indeed, yet I hope Master Greenwood will find a spare moment and sate my curiosity.

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  03:57:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO. Not long now till GEN-CON.

Talona. It still bugs me that she didn't get the nod for a "Prayers From the Faithful" write-up as it is a church that is old, established and has impacted on the Realms time and again over the millenia. I would have loved to have read some lore on famous priests of Talona, major areas of worship and just how she and her followers have been dealt with by the kingdoms and regions of Faerun.

For my own selfish ends, I'd like to know how she established a presence in the lands of the Unnapproachable East and some lore on famous followers. Given the presence of the Rotting Man in the Rawlinswood it is clear that this area has her attention.

Anything to share?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  04:19:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. George, Ed saith this, by way of swift reply to you:

Nothing to share YET.
For two reasons:
1. I need to have a lore conflab on two points with certain Wizards staffers before I know if things are Post-NDA'd enough to give you a decent answer.
2. June has been hairily busy for me, and if I don't get the next Elminster done in jig time, they'll be flogging me in shifts.
Not that I would enjoy that, mind you, BUT . . .
:}
So...hang in there, and I will answer what I can, when I can.
(I've written over a million words this month; ye gods!)
See you at GenCon!!!!
Ed

. . . and there you have it.
BTW, don't miss Ed's podcast at the Wizards site, wherein he's interviewed (via Skype, I think) by James Wyatt. Pure Ed...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  04:23:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
1 million words in a month?????

That is over 30,000 words a day!

That cinches it...Ed has clones.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  05:31:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

He was the inspiration for Manshoon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  19:29:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! This one's for George: a tiny tidbit of lore to start an answer re. Talona. From a long-ago Realmsplay note I made, re. Knights talking with a veteran Harper:

Clergy of Talona haunt the Great Dale, often in disguise, as the busy flow of mercantile traffic can readily spread diseases. Where they'd be hunted in Waterdeep (perhaps THE ideal site for "painting taint"), they're usually left alone, even in Thesk, and many a merchant does their work unawares.

(It's an obvious point, I'll grant - - but there it is, spelled out into a certainty.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  21:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message
Hi Ed!

I enjoyed the Herald. It was great to see some of our oft-spoken about but never seen friends make an appearance. I will unhappily hold off on my dozens of questions regarding your revelations in that tome until there has been more time for the Realms community to digest it.

Instead, I have a few questions about your view of the brave new world of magic and a particular artifact I’ve always enjoyed.
Now that the Weave has been restored similarly to its pre-Spellplague form, how would that impact practitioners of the pre-Spellplague Art. As a hypothetical, lets say a 2e/3e archmage (lets say level 25) was in stasis before the Spellplague and wakes up post-Sundering. Would he be able to pick up where he left off at the same level of power? Would his knowledge and skill with the Art be applicable to the new and renewed weave? If not, how would you estimate his level in power to change?

Similarly, how would a practitioner from the spellplagued realms adjust? Sticking with the hypothetical level 25 wizard who only knew magic in the ‘4e’ Realms, how does this change impact him? Does his power drop? Does the new ease with accessing the Art allow him to retain or even enhance his power?

Which brings me next to my favorite Realms artifacts, the Nether Scrolls. I don’t recall any lore about how they operated in the 4e Realms, but you gave us an embarrassment of riches regarding Nether Scrolls lore in 2011. With the Weave restored, do the Nether Scrolls now provide the same benefit they did before the Spellplague? Would a wizard reading each scroll gain a level (along with ancillary benefits), at least until he goes insane five or so scrolls in?

In addition, do the Nether Scrolls cover psionics at all? You’ve mentioned before that Larloch and the Srinshee may have been able to blend magic with psionics to create spells others without those talents could never cast. Do the scrolls reveal how to develop psionic ability?

Also with regard to the Nether Scrolls, do they only contain the magic lore from its creators, or do they update themselves with changes to the Weave and other sources of magic (like some form of artifact Weave or magic analyzer)

Further regarding reading the Nether Scrolls, would a deity (demigod and up) be able to read and obtain the benefits from the full set of the Scrolls without going mad? Do newly minted deities obtain an equivalent or greater amount of arcane lore and power just by ascending? Descriptions indicate that Karsus’ absorbed an enormous amount of arcane lore just by ascending, although that may have more to do with his choice of deity to usurp. Nonetheless there are some indications that by virtue of ascending, new deities do obtain a large degree of arcane power and lore, or quickly develop that mastery (Examples can include Midnight in Shadows of the Avatar, or Cyric in James Lowder's Prince of Lies)

Now I’m not asking for the official word, just how you feel that it would work out. As ever, anything you care to share is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for taking the time to hear and respond to your fans.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  23:59:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I think we established this last month.... simulacrums, not clones. Clones would try to kill one another.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  16:50:21  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed. I was hoping you could provide us with some detail of what Tethyr's civil war looked like while it was happening. I'm starting up a new game in 1359 or 1360, and a fair chunk of it is going to be set in and around Tethyr.

I've always had the feeling that the civil war was less "huge armies marching" and more dozens of smaller factions maneuvering against each other, both in the cities and outside them, with smaller mercenary companies making more surgical attacks on rival lands or business enterprises. Is that accurate? In 1359 and 1360, what were some of the major, or minor, events in the civil war?

Thanks as always for your help, and I hope the summer is treating you well.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  09:01:36  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Gracious Lady, Revered Master,
in a thread (that is quickly spiraling downward) here at the 'Keep about The Herald the short story Tears so White was brought up as one of the few places where to look for hints at the Ssrinshee's character and behaviour. I've read it quite some time ago and going from memory i didn't find anything particularly revealing about her in that short story BUT i started thinking of the implications of Tears so White in light of all that happens in The Herald.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but from what i recall in Tears so White we apparently see a good number of Larloch's liches "going berserker" over the ... uhm ... infrastructure of the Weave supporting the mythal of Myth Drannor (kinda like hackers attacking the source-code of a website or something like that) i think?
And by the end of the short story the Ssrinshee and the other Chosens helping her are forced to collapse the whole thing to stop the incursion and Larloch pops out of nowhere apologizing (kinda) and claiming it was an experiment gone wrong.

So, here are the questions:
1 - Am i wrong in assuming that the events in Tears so White have greatly influenced the outcome of The Herald battle for Myth Drannor by disrupting beyond repair the mythal and/or the interface/control room through which the Ssrinshee and the baelnorns operated/maintained it?
2 - Did Larloch succesfully bluff the Chosens by telling them the outcome of Tears so White wasn't one of his plans while he was instead "playing the long game" anticipating events more then a century in advance by weakening the Myth Drannor's mythal structure just enough so his Weave-force wrestling match (much much) later would have been easier?
3 - If it was indeed NOT a Larloch's scheme but just a mad plan of a bunch of his freed liches, can we know the name and background of the lich(es) that guided the others in this raid? Pretty genius move on his part and if the events in Tears so White really affected The Herald as much as i think then this unnamed lich deserves for his name and story to be known and exalted in the years to come.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  00:31:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! Demzer, I sent Ed your questions, and got back a swift reply. So, heeeeeere's Ed:

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

Ed’s Answer to 1: No, you’re not wrong in assuming that, at all. :} The events of “Tears So White” did indeed disrupt the mythal into an instability that made it beyond repair without the concerted work of a large number of skilled mages, working together, to “take down” the mythal and then raise it again in stages. Very disruptive, and something none of the elves involved trusted non-elf wielders of the Art to take part in. So, the baelnorn tinker with it daily, and the Srinshee works on it “from above and outside,” when she can, in very much the same long-term, tiny-steps way that Elminster and Storm were repairing Weave anchors.

Ed’s Answer to 2: Yes, Larloch did successfully deceive the Chosen, and he was “playing the long game,” but he did not at that time anticipate doing something so bold and dangerous as he tried during THE HERALD. What he wanted to do was shift precise control of the mythal out of the hands of the elves, whom he mistrusted (seeing their past arrogance and underestimation of other races as a fatal flaw), to a state where he ALONE would have the greatest measure of control over it - - because whatever happened in the future, he trusted himself most of all, as the surviving Chosen of Mystryl, to understand Weave and Weave magic (arcane magic, or the “wizard’s spells” of the game rulebooks) more than any other entity. He sees himself as the greatest guardian of Toril.
What happened in THE HERALD is that Larloch didn’t think the shadovar would manage to seize the power of the wards of Candlekeep. He saw them as far lazier, more arrogant, and less accomplished and wise than the elves (in other words, far more flawed), and having only achieved much of their success thanks to the backing of Shar, which they scarcely admit to themselves, and so are even more overconfident than they should be. From Larloch’s point of view, the younger Tanthuls are spoilt children, and the older Princes are irresponsible overachievers who will inevitably overreach themselves and fall. When he saw how far they’d got and what Elminster was up to, he succumbed to the temptation of having all that power and “setting Toril to rights at last” by becoming Mystra’s wiser, more far-sighted, and less sentiment replacement - - and he leaped at the chance, trusting to his great accumulated power and years of wisdom to see it through. (He hadn’t reckoned on the Srinshee foreseeing this possibility and having the self-discipline to largely hold aloof from the defense of Myth Drannor to remain ready to thwart him, or Telamont Tanthul, or for that matter Elminster or another waiting, lurking archwizard, who might try to seize the power of the mythal and do something drastic, dangerous, or stupid. The Srinshee sacrificed many elves in the bloody short term to save her race and salvage what she could of the people [not the real estate] of Myth Drannor in the long term, and smote Larloch at just the right moment to overload him and prevent his successful subsumption of all that magical power, into an ascension or whatever mad fate might have awaited him (Karsus, anyone?).

Ed’s Answer to 3: So it was a plan pursued by some of Larloch’s liches, that Larloch was watching (so it WAS, from his viewpoint, an “experiment gone wrong”) to make sure it played out to his advantage and not disaster. He let the plan proceed because he saw that its results would ultimately be to his benefit. So, yes, this lich does deserve more lore detailed shared with all scribes in the fullness of time. I have to stickhandle around a few NDAs to say more, but...it's on my list.
Congrats for seeing some of my foreshadowing, when it seems like so many others missed it. I prefer to leave some things open to interpretation rather than stated baldly, especially when it seems artificial to have a narrative viewpoint that could be so all-seeing and definite.
And yes, I play the long game. There are some things I worked into the Realms at the outset, almost fifty years ago (yes, before there was a D&D game), that STILL haven't "played out" yet.
So, stay tuned . . . ;}

So saith Ed. Who has been hard at work on both game Realmslore and fictional Realmslore this month, and still is...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Jul 2014 00:31:41
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Illance
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  02:30:25  Show Profile Send Thorn Illance a Private Message
A 1,000,000 words a month! Holy moley, that's over 27 words a minute, 20 hours a day, for 30 days straight! Incredible!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  02:54:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Ye gods I love you Ed and Lady THO! Great answere here to a great set of questions. Thank you both so much.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  05:08:08  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message
I love that Mr. Greenwood talks to the fans. That's just awesome.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  05:44:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
At the end of The Herald, I got the impression the Srinshee died. What happened to her soul? Did it go to Arvandor?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  06:15:31  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
The Srinshee sacrificed many elves in the bloody short term to save her race and salvage what she could of the people [not the real estate] of Myth Drannor in the long term

I'm a bit confused by this; by "save her race", is Ed referring to all the elves living on Toril? In other words, if the Shadovar and/or Larloch get their way, it will badly effect everyone on the planet (including the elves), so from that perspective the Srinshee is 'saving her race', with the few thousand of Myth Drannor being a necessary sacrifice in the big picture? Is my understanding correct?

Otherwise, it makes it sound like the inhabitants of Myth Drannor are the only remaining elves in the Realms.....
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  09:43:45  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Thanks for the quick and detailed answers!

To keep in line with the purpose of this scroll, another query. The Realms are "full" with human and elven (and half-elven) arcane spellcasters of note and renown but i can't remember any famed practitioners of the Art of the small folk (halfling and gnomes outside derros and svirfneblins) outside CRPGs.
Can you share details of legendary halfling spellslingers or gnomish archmages? Or of any other gifted arcane prodigy of non-standard races (kobold, orc, grippli, whatsit, ecc...)?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  18:15:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed's busy charging ahead through the first draft of his next Elminster novel right now, but having talked to him extensively about THE HERALD, I can take a stab at answering some scribes.
Here we go . . .
Thorn: yep, it IS incredible. Doubly so when one thinks that Ed also holds down a part time job, does all the household work (cooking, shopping, laundry, errands, etc.) for his invalid wife, and commutes about forty miles each way to work.
hobbitfan: it is awesome, and that takes some of Ed's time, too, and I'm afraid I got him into this gig here at the Keep. Because I wanted to share the awesomeness that is Ed with the rest of you. He is truly the greatest man I have ever met (a kind, understanding, generous friend to many).
CorellonsDevout, Ed deliberately left the Srinshee's fate vague. Faerûn has probably seen the last of her for awhile, and she knew she was courting death when she sacrificed herself, but Ed tells me there are "hidden wheels within wheels" here, so WE might not have seen the last of her, forever. Her soul, at this moment in Realmstime, is AWOL. ;}
BenN: Ed tells me matters are slightly different/more nuanced than your summary. Ed did indeed mean "save her race," because if Telamont (or Shar!), when using the mythal power to take over the Weave, EXAMINES the mythal-work in detail, there is something of the mental signatures/bloodlines of all those who helped raise the mythal in the first place, or worked to restore it later, "written into" the mythal. To put things in a cruder metaphor, the mythal contains DNA from those who've created it or renovated it. Which means anyone with sufficient power (i.e. command of the Weave, or just archwizard-level mastery of the Art) who is also armed with this knowledge, can readily craft spells that easily AFFECT ALL ELVES, making it easy for them to selectively enslave/sicken/influence/harm elves, or elves and half-elves, out of mixed populations (i.e. kill all the elves in Waterdeep, but leave the humans alone). THAT is what the Srinshee knew and was fighting against.
I agree that without knowing this, her actions could seem heartless, and/or you could easily conclude Ed was confusing the elves of Myth Drannor for "all elves left in the Realms."
However, Ed makes no apologies for not baldly explaining everything in his fiction. As he explained long ago: that's what sourcebooks are for. And the Realms works much better as a setting for the maximum number of gamers when there's "elbow room" deliberately left for DMs to more easily stitch and sew disparate elements into their home campaigns, and invent or morph things to their liking. (Hence Ed's use of"unreliable narrators.")
Demzer, Torkwaret, Hoondatha, and Veritas: Off your queries have gone to Ed, but I must warn that he has several large writing assignments to do between now and GenCon, so you may be waiting for a little while.
However, he has responded already with tidbits, so here we go...
Demzer: Yes, there will be some forthcoming, including a sinister kenku. Waterdeep and Selgaunt are both home to powerful halfling wizards who take great care to conceal their power and even existence from non-halflings.
Torkwaret: What Faraer described in the other thread about shops is on the mark. Glowstones (everlasting lanterns that are basically handsized rocks that give off faerie fire glows) are common sales items, potions of healing and +1 daggers or everbright (non-rusting) tools are the pricey "prizes" in most shops, the bulk of wares are ingredients for spell inks and ritual concoctions and "home potions," and a common defense is: coffers with poisonous biting spiders [[or snakes]] inside, that have two locks and two "ways in" (i.e. obvious hinged lid with spider inside, or hidden sliding bottom that avoids the spider). More to come when Ed can, of course... Many magic shops mainly sell herbs and info: the proprietor knows the names and locations of magic "experts" to send you to...
Hoondatha: Your small skirmishes and factions using mercenaries envisioning is correct; there were very few large armies on the march. The battles/significant events will have to wait for Ed, I'm afraid...
Veritas: Ed's perennial "it depends" applies to a lot of what you ask (the Nether Scrolls in particular), but he says if a caster remained in unbroken stasis during the Spellplague, they weren't affected by it (no insanity or other damage). They awaken at the same power level, and the renewed Weave "works the same way' for them as it always did, though some of the spells they were used to using might not work any more, or will have different effects, or they'll have to tinker with HOW they cast them to get them to work now, etc. (in metagame terms: spells with familiar names may be different than their 4e and 3e/3,5e namesakes). In Ed's campaign, such things get roleplayed out.

Well, that's all I can provide for now. Ed is still wildly busy, but I hope to check in with him over the next few days and see if I can prod him into providing anything more...so keep those questions and comments coming in (yes, even the negative ones ), and I'll try to keep the flow of Realmslore coming your way from the Master. (Ed can't provide more details yet, but he did tell me he recently had great fun detailing a complete small community in the Realms for something you won't see until next year.)
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  18:31:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Thanks, Ed and THO! So much going on!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  22:45:55  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
THO, thank you for your reply, and please pass my appreciation to Ed as well. Much obliged!

I completely understand & agree about the value of the 'unreliable narrator'. Filling in the blanks using our imagination is part of the fun after all. OTOH, it is of course fascinating to learn how Ed fills in those blanks!

Looking forward to more novels & sourcebooks!
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2014 :  03:07:04  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
It's been so long I forgot my questions here and whether they were answered or not? LOL With Ed being so busy, I wonder sometimes if he has doppelgangers or Manshoon-like clones activated to help with all this?

This is more of a request than a question for Mr. Greenwood, but I was very much delighted to see the ethnic human races getting such detailed treatment in "Races of Faerun" back in 3rd Edition.

Sadly, not every ethnicity was given the same treatment and I was wondering if Ed could either do so here, or every once in awhile do a write-up treatment for his "Realmslore" articles on the D&D website like they did in "Races of Faerun", but for the ethnicities not covered in that book such as the Gurs, Tashalan, Chultans, Bedine, Ffolk, etc. etc.

Personally, I would love to know more about the Tashalan people (as well as Chultans), from their physical description, outlook, society, history and so on. I'm running a campaign set on the Chultan Peninsula and it would come in handy as I do not really know where to start (and, yes, I have been using "Serpent Kingdoms" as a starting point but I only receive info in that book on their environment as opposed to the people themselves).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000