Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  15:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Dear THO,
Ed seems to be incommunicado at the moment. I wonder if you can ask him to drop me an e-mail?
It's becoming urgent. Tell him it's about the "other" movie project. Certain scriptwriters are trying to Force things.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  15:24:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Done. (SofS is subtle like a brick, she murmured, and winked.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  19:01:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. Done. (SofS is subtle like a brick, she murmured, and winked.)
love,
THO

Well....if that exchange didn't raise questions!

Most likely that cannot be answered?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  23:35:40  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message
Is there more to be said about Askavar the elven realm that used to be in the wood of the sharp teeth (or Glimmerwood as it used to be called)? What are it's ties (if any) to Shantel Othreier, Firewine Bridge and/or Vehlarr, Thanks in advance!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 09 Dec 2014 01:40:24
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  04:04:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
To the Red Walker:
Probably not.
However, I WILL ask. I my own persuasive way.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2014 :  23:29:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Hi THO/Ed

Okay, it's been years and there have been hundreds of posts by Ed/THO with no luck. Where is the love for druids in the Realms?!?

I was hoping that Ed copuld give us some druid lore (existing shrines, special druidic places, individual druids of note, existing circles not yet noted in the lore, historical druids etc etc) and given the proximity to Xmas, he can consider it a gift to us all!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2014 :  01:42:14  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hi THO/Ed

Okay, it's been years and there have been hundreds of posts by Ed/THO with no luck. Where is the love for druids in the Realms?!?

I was hoping that Ed copuld give us some druid lore (existing shrines, special druidic places, individual druids of note, existing circles not yet noted in the lore, historical druids etc etc) and given the proximity to Xmas, he can consider it a gift to us all!

-- George Krashos

Hear hear! I second this! Druids play a major role in my game, and they have shaped the lore of some very special places, like the Moonshaes, etc. Yet they still remain at least in canon, more or less a mystery. NPC's are rarely mentioned, and almost never fleshed out.

I know druidic circles probably largely prefer to remain mysterious but I think we should give some more attention to a great flavorful part of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2014 :  17:20:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
This is a bit topical ATM, especially for me (being from NY).

I am thinking specifically about Cormyr here, but if you can think of a different example, or a better one, then whatever you think is best: At any time, has a 'royal decree' (or whatever) come down from 'on high' and been so wildly unpopular that it caused rioting/hysteria?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2014 :  17:37:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This is a bit topical ATM, especially for me (being from NY).

I am thinking specifically about Cormyr here, but if you can think of a different example, or a better one, then whatever you think is best: At any time, has a 'royal decree' (or whatever) come down from 'on high' and been so wildly unpopular that it caused rioting/hysteria?

I think the Window Tax would qualify, here, though I'd certainly like to hear about other occasions.

The Rise and Fall of the Window Tax, Part One
The Rise and Fall of the Window Tax, Part Two

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  12:33:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

Let me jump on George's theme, but get way more specific.

Faerun is home to unique species of trees and other plants. Are there any resins, saps, latexes, or mucileges harvested by the Lawkeeper races (humans, elves, dwarves, etc.) that come from that Faerunian fauna?

In particular, I'm wondering about unique Faerunian trade goods akin to frankincense and myrrh.

Thanks, Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  16:05:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Just to jump on Eric's theme.... are there any saps that are used to make syrups similar to maple, but a totally different flavor? Are there any resins similar to amber, but an entirely different color, known to make gems?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  18:33:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hoo boy. Well, much of Ed's druidic lore was received by Wizards but (aside from what he wrote for the appendices of the HALLS OF THE HIGH KING) remains unpublished. So I'm not sure what he can share.
The herbal medicines and other natural-substance trade goods was a topic that got deliberately squashed, back in the day, for fear of attracting real-world lawsuits when kids harmed or killed themselves by ingesting X or Y, when they were known to be gamers and X or Y had been covered in a Dragon article or Realms sourcebook...so even when such things derived from Ed's own fictional, created plants, the topic got nixed.
However, that doesn't mean he doesn't have notes still squirreled away. So after he's dug himself out from his current pressing workload (a game product and two extensive short stories due by end of year, plus most of a novel and at least planning a second novel), he might have time to provide. I'll nudge him in my MOST persuasive fashion. I can go so far, off the top of my own head, to tell sleyvas that the answer to both of his questions is: "Yes."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  16:53:32  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hi again. All's well in the North I hope!

Who are Taela and Tildaryn, for whom Taela's Trail and Tildaryn's Ride (roads into Ordulin) are named?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 10 Dec 2014 17:49:12
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  02:44:07  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Colderan Morn was corrupted and taught many of the dark arts by the drow. He ruled approximately 100 years ago, per Doom of Daggerdale. And we have Alokkair the Wizard-King who's been knocking around for 800 years and plans to reclaim his long-lost kingdom with the aid of the drow who live underground in the area. The drow seem to have an interest in being involved with surface spellcasters in the area.

I'm curious as to what the motivations behind these "involvements" were. What were the long-term plans of the drow for these two? Any specific dark elven families or cities behind such schemes?

On a different note, I'm really hoping we see more Forging the Realms articles. Loved that weekly dose of Realmslore. Any chance we might see a future article involving the Spiderhaunt Woods? *wink wink nudge nudge* ;)

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  06:19:40  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I second the call for more Forging the Realms! Though I suspect we're barking up the wrong tree, and Ed has already given them more articles and they're just not putting them up for whatever reason.

Also, I just noticed a bit about Introducers in Cormyr. Apologies if this has been dealt with in novels -- and it seems like the sort of thing that probably has been.

Does the Introducer recite the laws regardless of who approaches, or is there a little Q&A session to ascertain the traveler's familiarity with the expectations that will be placed on them within the town?

Do the larger cities also have Introducers, or is that role taken over by the Purple Dragons at the gates? Are Introducers exclusively militia members, or can Purple Dragons or other sorts of officers/officials volunteer for or be assigned to this task? Do young nobles ever serve as Introducers?

What happens when important foreigners approach? Widely known heroes, famous/infamous diplomats/emissaries, city/state rulers, etc. I suppose it's unlikely that Elduth Yarmmaster would ride calmly into Wheloon with his true face showing, but how would that be handled?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 12 Dec 2014 06:21:45
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  15:19:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, re. this: "I second the call for more Forging the Realms! Though I suspect we're barking up the wrong tree, and Ed has already given them more articles and they're just not putting them up for whatever reason."

True. Very true. There are at least half a dozen that we haven't yet seen.
And in answer to this question of yours: "Who are Taela and Tildaryn, for whom Taela's Trail and Tildaryn's Ride (roads into Ordulin) are named?"
I can from my notes (which means, of course, from Ed) tell you that Taela was the beloved of the builder of the Trail, the merchant Rorl Ossmran of Ordulin, and Tildaryn was the builder of the Ride (Antur Tildaryn, an investor and many-businesses-owner who began from humble beginnings in Yhaunn).

Eilserus, the answers to your queries are of course best given by Ed, but as a player in Ed's campaign we were told by several NPCs (including Elminster) that certain drow very much valued the surface connections in the Daggerdale area, after El and others "camped on top of" the Shadowdale connections and made them difficult for the drow to use without conflict (i.e. being noticed).

More when I can get hold of Ed (ahem)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  16:11:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again, everyone.
TBeholder, I've sent your excellent sigil questions to Ed, but can from my notes (i.e. from what he's already said on the subject, in the past) answer these:
"Other forms of authentication ("signing" spells, "lock" triggers that works only for this wizard)?"
Yes to both of those uses.

"Or detect the sigil's rightful owner (i.e. discern from impostors without that wizard's own act)?"
No. Doesn't seem to be a magical ability yet be known and developed, from what Ed says.

More, of course, when Ed can respond.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  16:55:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
On the down side, we haven't seen much from Ed on these boards lately.

On the up side, I can only imagine what has Ed gotten himself into that he is so gosh-darn busy, and what that means for all of us moving forward.

Question: Any chance we will ever see the moonweb (or the four rings) in lore again? Its last appearance (according to Prayers from the Faithful) was at the end of the ToT - would it have made another during the Spellplague, or perhaps immediately following the Wailing Years? (like during the Year of the Ageless One?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  18:00:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I asked Ed about how busy he was, and he listed his current projects. It took him TWELVE MINUTES just to list them, and I'm sworn to secrecy. There are some big projects in Ed's future!
He did say I could let slip this:
"Some very enjoyable planning between game designers and novelists re. lore details that won't be seen until 2016 and thereafter. Referencing 'good old' features of both the D&D game and the Realms, making this Realms creator very happy."
So there you have it. Let the speculation begin...

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  20:59:54  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Maybe a new Campaign Guide or a Volo's Guide or twenty?! Happy Dance! :)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  21:18:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Thank you, thank you!

Regarding these roads and others, are pains often taken to remember builders in the heartlands (keeping their stories alive in tavern tales, and so forth), or do they soon fade to be nothing more than the names attached to the roads? Is every case unique, or are there regional trends? Sembia has several roads named for people, while the roads in the Vast have more generic names... were the roads in Sembia named more recently, and is that the only factor?

And when you do catch up with Ed, please exchange hugs from me too. If I were rich, I'd give a lot to talk shop with both of you. I'm sure many of us would.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  22:06:05  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hehe, yeah what I wouldn't give to read the reams of Realms info Ed has squirreled away!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2014 :  15:18:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
If I had a way of visiting any three 'libraries', the three I would like to peruse the most would be -

1) The Vatican Archives
2) The Library of Alexandria
3) Ed's 'basement'

And not necessarily in that order.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Dec 2014 15:18:47
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2014 :  20:58:30  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
This is what I get for not checking on a regular basis, I can't remember what questions I already asked before LOL

If I asked this before, I will delete the message or maybe a mod can, but here it is.

---With all the intrigue, deceit, and manipulation going on everywhere in the Realms, there are certain spells and other magicks that foil many of these plots from succeeding to begin with. Spells like Detect Thoughts, True Seeing, Mind Blank and more. There's a spell that transforms a gold coin into a listening device, for example. A Zone of Truth would make sense to use in a courtroom trial, for example. Yes, there are spells to block such intrusion and magic items, as well, but in the Realms what prevents those in power from forcing another to strip down their gear and magic and allow a Zone of Truth and True Seeing spell to discern all falsehoods? If someone detects alignment or attempts to read thoughts, and they find it blocked, that would seem to only further raise suspicion. Are there any sort of traditions and/or laws that prevent invasion of privacy? Are there a lot of lead-lined rooms in every seat of office? What sort of magic blocks such intrusion? And what prevents a growing cycle of countermagic, counter-counter-magic, counter-counter-counter magic and so on? The beguiler creature from Halruaa, for example, has True Seeing naturally, so what lone or gang of doppelgangers (or any shapechanger or illusionist), for example, could hope to ever infiltrate an organization if all it takes is someone to have such a creature hanging around pointing falsehoods instantly? (Or someone with a talented diviner or powerful divination item to do the same?) What sort of advice could Ed give for someone truly wishing to play the part of a "master spy" or "super agent" where simple and mediocre magic can easily betray anyone attempting deceit?---
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2014 :  23:47:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
If Ed's workload and holiday schedule permits, I'm wondering if this year it will be possible for scribes whose questions remain unanswered to pick one of theirs and repost it, on the chance that Ed can reconsider the question and give it a reply?

(He writes, hoping his 07 Jan 2014 question about the beholder word 'merthrim' makes the cut.)

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  08:50:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Hi Ed/THO

Just read through the original Lords of Darkness and found some surprising stuff on Aumvor and a curious tale about one Nuris Elfward.

If there are any other tales of his exploits or information about him i would be grateful to hear them, but one thing that intrigues me is the mention of the memoirs of a Netherese sorceress in the possession of Morasha of the Lonely Moor. These memoirs detailed the sorceress' infatuation with Nuris and his repeated refusals of her offers.

Now i can guess from his description that Nuris is of Rengarth descent, probably from the Angardt tribe given his use of a magic sword. He appears to have done a service or two for the elves as well, hence his name. I also take it that Nuris plagued Aumvor and appears to have repeatedly foiled his plans (since Aumvor told Morasha of the stories of his mistreatment at the hands of Nuris).

Could the sorceress that was so infatuated with Nuris be Lady Saharel.

Anyways just hoping there is a bit more to the story of this guy, and that Ed was involved in his creation so he can tell us about it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  14:51:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Great lore and question!

If so, then could 'Nuris' be another alias of Elminster?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  15:06:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
I hadnt thought of that but its entirely possible he could be elminster.

I read in Hall of Heroes recently that Elminster's early years were spent not in the pursuit of magic but in tomb robbing in the North (particularly dwarf holds), of course in that edition of books the desert of Anauroch was classed as part of the North and Elminster would have been more of a swashbuckling barbarian type (Athalantar was probably people with Illuskans given its location).

EDIT: Scratch that, unless Elminster travelled back in time it is unlikely to be him because the time in the book is 2500 years ago (i.e. during Netheril)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 19 Dec 2014 16:12:37
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  15:43:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi.
Ed is busy busy busy (sigh, as usual) right now, but I can confirm, from him, that:

Nuris Elfward and Elminster are not now, and never have been, the same person. More on the queries (Saharel, etc.) when I can.

So there you have it. I'm going to see what other "little tidbits" of answers I can pry out of Ed before year-end. The man is...overwhelmed with work and obligations at the moment.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  16:17:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And Ed delivered before I ever had a chance to poke him. For DM Novus (query post on the preceding page of this thread, for those keeping score), Ed provides these tidbits:

The plague that afflicted Baldur's Gate was thankfully short-lived (i.e. it killed less than fifteen percent of the populace and didn't spread far on the trade routes). It was known as "The Rotting From Within" (soon colloquially shortened to just "the Rotting") because the internal organs of victims rotted and liquefied within them, causing a horrifying death (the afflicted felt nauseous, and their senses came and went [smell, hearing, sight], and then everything failed very rapidly, they collapsed, and exuded black-green "ick" from every orifice (what the organs broke down into).

Other events of that year include:

The Banner War: a feud between the rival Sembian-based costers of the Manygems Banner and the Strongchest Banner (both firms founded in the late 1340s) becomes a full-blown armed conflict, with assassinations and arson leading to both sides hiring mercenaries and seeking to exterminate each other not in Sembia but along the Heartlands trade-roads. Opportunistic bandits frame the warring Banners for their own depredations. "Stalking undead" (formidable zombies of unusual abilities) arise from some of the battle dead; foul necromancy is suspected.

The Tun Tombs: in Tunland, more than two dozen stone-lined underground rooms are discovered. In each is a lone human burial, sewn into a simple shroud; a magic item lies above the head of each corpse, and a small box containing a gem of unusually large size and value is on the breast of all of the fallen. If the gems are left in the boxes and the boxes not removed from the tombs, all remains well --but every time a gem is removed from a tomb, a monster (often a wyvern or something many-tentacle) is awakened from stasis elsewhere in the Realms and begins to hunt the gem, with an eye to slaughtering whoever has it, seizing the stone, and returning it to the tomb. No one yet knows who the dead are, who buried them in this manner, or why.

Sylvan Enchantment: Several valleys among rolling grassland hills south of Berdusk suddenly sprout a vigorous, tangled mixed forest (appropriate for the climate, but of a sort long-vanished from the vicinity due to a century of traveling traders cutting timber as a "free cargo" in passing, plus travelers' needs for firewood). The cause of this nigh-instant woodland is magical, but the perpetrators and their motives are unknown. The trees continue to spread, and to grow in size with an utter disregard for their youthful age, for three years -- and then cease their growth, as mysteriously as they started.

Rise of the Stags: Seemingly out of nowhere and with no discernible point of origin, the mountainous vales of the remote eastern Sword Coast North are suddenly overrun with deer . . . and a disproportionately large number of them are large stags with impressive antlers. Deepspawn or other "unnatural" causes are suspected, and several mages hire adventurering bands as protective escorts to "hunt the deepspawn" in hopes of capturing and relocating them for profit, but no deepspawn are ever found, and most of the wizards go missing. Prompting some sages to recall other "wizardly lures" of the past in the area, that drew lots of mages to the area who then vanished.

And there you have it. Some helpful history snippets from Ed. Enjoy!
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000