Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  20:25:06  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zanan,

You're correct. The former.
Go to Top of Page

krav
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  14:24:41  Show Profile  Visit krav's Homepage Send krav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading Twilight Falling, I had always presumed that Riven had the Shadowwalker template.

Is this correct?

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  22:17:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What`s the difference between the shade and the shadowwalker templates?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  14:21:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krav

After reading Twilight Falling, I had always presumed that Riven had the Shadowwalker template.

Is this correct?

Krav,

You'll have a better sense of what Riven is becoming after reading Midnight's Mask, which I think is now available. He's not a shadowwalker, though.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  14:23:53  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

What`s the difference between the shade and the shadowwalker templates?

Khorne,

There is a fair bit of overlap between the two, at least in terms of in-game effects.

In terms of the non-game effects, a shade is a person who has swapped out the essence of his being for the stuff of shadow (rendering him very long lived). A shadow walker is a worshipper of Mask granted special powers over shadowstuff, though he or she otherwise remains fully human.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  15:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krav

Is this correct?

Actually I think Rivens a Divine Champion of mask

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Paul will be taking questions within the November Book Club here at Candlekeep, for Midnight's Mask.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  08:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a question really, I just wanted to stop in and thank Mr. Kemp for writing Midnight's Mask. I just finished it, and wow. In my opinion, the definitive Realms novels now consist of three; Evermeet, Death of the Dragon, and Midnight's Mask.

I can't wait to see what's in Store in the next trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  09:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Actually I think Rivens a Divine Champion of mask

Rather a blackguard, given he can cast the odd spell too, of I remember correctly.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  14:53:25  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aginor37

I don't have a question really, I just wanted to stop in and thank Mr. Kemp for writing Midnight's Mask. I just finished it, and wow. In my opinion, the definitive Realms novels now consist of three; Evermeet, Death of the Dragon, and Midnight's Mask.

Aginor,

That is high praise indeed. I'm flattered and immensely pleased that you enjoyed Midnight's Mask and the Cale trilogy overall.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  09:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met, Aginor37

Indeed, very good to hear. 'tis a shame ye missed out on the Midnight's Mask Book Club. Feel free to have a flick through the book to find out any particular areas ye wish to discuss with others, however

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  23:15:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've just finished book 2 in the trilogy and have to congratulate Paul again. Very impressive. Of course, I'm now dealing well with the cliffhanger ending (Riven, how could you!?) but naturally it's whetted my appetite for more. Good stuff and well done.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  13:43:19  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, I've just finished book 2 in the trilogy and have to congratulate Paul again. Very impressive. Of course, I'm now dealing well with the cliffhanger ending (Riven, how could you!?) but naturally it's whetted my appetite for more. Good stuff and well done.

-- George Krashos

Thank you, George. On the plus side, the cliffhanger doesn't have to keep you in suspense very long -- Midnight's Mask is available (in Australia too, I hope).

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  00:30:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aginor, don't you consider Cormyr : A novel by Ed as one of the definitive Realms novels - I am shocked beyond words

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  18:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Paul, here's my questions, but first, thank you very much for the Cale trilogy, incredible one, it was.

1. What will the plot of the Twilight War be? You said Kesson Rel would play a large part, and the Shadovar...will Telamont possibly be looking to expand?

2. What plans do you have for Azriim? Will he feature as an enemy to Cale and Riven or will he look to make his way in the world and hunger for a new transformation? I'd love to see him take on the heroes again, such a fun evil monster.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  15:22:48  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Well, Paul, here's my questions, but first, thank you very much for the Cale trilogy, incredible one, it was.

1. What will the plot of the Twilight War be? You said Kesson Rel would play a large part, and the Shadovar...will Telamont possibly be looking to expand?

2. What plans do you have for Azriim? Will he feature as an enemy to Cale and Riven or will he look to make his way in the world and hunger for a new transformation? I'd love to see him take on the heroes again, such a fun evil monster.

Ethriel,

Thank you. I'm pleased you enjoyed the Cale trilogy.

Unfortunately, I can't reveal much about "The Twilight War." Kesson Rel will appear, and, since the Shadovar are integral to the plot, Telemont must needs appear. But as for motives or more on the plot, I'm not yet allowed to say.

Azriim's future is a bit up in the air. I don't anticipate him appearing in "The Twilight War" proper, but he might appear in the accompanying short story anthology (the "Realms of...."). I'm glad you enjoyed him, though. He is a fun villain to write.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  05:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can imagine! Any villain who respects art and fusses over fashion the way he does has got to be fun.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  15:21:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Realms list :
quote:

David, I am unaware of any 3E materials relating to Skullport other than the brief mention it gets in the current "Waterdeep" sourcebook. The 2E supplement, "Skullport," by Joseph Wolf, covers the Port of Skulls in detail. IMO, it is quite good and readily transferable to 3.0 or 3.5. You'd have to do some conversion of the NPC stats, but the maps, location descriptions, etc., would all transfer directly. There are a few backhanded comical elements (which I don't care for) in the sourcebook, but it is otherwise well done and provides a wealth of detail. I don't know if it's still available anywhere other than ebay.

Also, a substantial portion of book II of my Erevis Cale Trilogy, "Dawn of Night," takes place in Skullport.

Paul

I currently run a evil-PCs game in Waterdeep/Skullport, I would like to know what you consider "backhanded comical elements", because I feel the same way about some on the info in the 2e sources.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  20:35:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I currently run a evil-PCs game in Waterdeep/Skullport, I would like to know what you consider "backhanded comical elements", because I feel the same way about some on the info in the 2e sources.

Skeptic,

I don't have the supplement within easy grasp, but among other things, I recall the goblin dockhand/teamsters being organized under "Haffa," which I took to be a tongue in cheek Jimmy Hoffa reference. There were other things of that nature. Nothing integral to the setting, just tangential stuff.

Again, I think the supplement is excellent overall. Those kinds of in-jokes were not pervasive; there were just enough of them that their presence stuck with me. Easy enough to fix, though -- I just ignored those references, both when running my campaign and when writing "Dawn of Night."

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  20:55:56  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dawn of Night is on my amazon wish list for christmas

I have great fun with Skullport, but my player's don't seem to be able to grasp it's feeling and don't bother with my efforts to show them...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  06:13:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While this doesn't exclusively relate to Paul's Realmslore contributions, it does deal with his writing (and the reference I will mention here was taken from an interview with Paul here at Candlekeep:- http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/interviews/pskemp_int2.htm).

Paul, in your September '03 interview you mentioned something about writing fiction for the Midnight setting. Here's the exact reference -

quote:
I’ve contracted with Fantasy Flight Games to write the first trilogy in their very cool, very dark, very low magic “Midnight,” setting. I’m excited about it. In my mind, only Midnight can compare with the Realms in terms of wonder. Look for it in mid-2004. Titles are still up in the air, but they’ll find their way onto the internet once decided.
As a long-time fan of this alternate setting, I have yet to hear anything more about this, so I'm just wondering whether you can provide me with any updated details concerning these books?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Dec 2005 06:14:47
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  11:39:34  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As a long-time fan of this alternate setting, I have yet to hear anything more about this, so I'm just wondering whether you can provide me with any updated details concerning these books?

Sage,

I love the world of Midnight too but those books are not to be, for a variety of reasons. Sorry to disappoint.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  11:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui Mr. Kemp!

While doing a revision of the German version of WotSQ VI these days, I noted that the word Teeming got a rather odd translation. I'm not one for bashing translators (cause I belong to that ilk too), but if you were asked to describe the Teeming and present some synonyms for it, what words would you use?

All the best, Zanan.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 04 Dec 2005 11:50:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  12:29:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Sage,

I love the world of Midnight too but those books are not to be, for a variety of reasons. Sorry to disappoint.

Paul

Thanks Paul . I had a feeling this was the case... FFG seems to make a habit of cutting things short in every part of the company.

If it's possible, could you at least share some details about what aspects of the setting *might* have featured in this projected trilogy? I'm assuming you at least had some basic ideas about what you may have liked to include in the story...

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:02:49  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks Paul . I had a feeling this was the case... FFG seems to make a habit of cutting things short in every part of the company.

If it's possible, could you at least share some details about what aspects of the setting *might* have featured in this projected trilogy? I'm assuming you at least had some basic ideas about what you may have liked to include in the story...

Sage,

I probably should not talk about it anymore than I already have.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 05 Dec 2005 15:03:28
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:04:48  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui Mr. Kemp!

While doing a revision of the German version of WotSQ VI these days, I noted that the word Teeming got a rather odd translation. I'm not one for bashing translators (cause I belong to that ilk too), but if you were asked to describe the Teeming and present some synonyms for it, what words would you use?

All the best, Zanan.

That piques my curiosity, Zanan. How do the German words translate literally?

Synonyms for an invented proper noun are tough. Something like The Swarming, maybe? The Seething?

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 05 Dec 2005 15:27:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:15:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Sage,

I probably should not talk about it anymore than I already have.

Thanks again Paul .

I appreciate you sharing what you could .

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the thing here is, of course, that there are a number of possible translations for "teeming".
Reading about the Teeming brought a picture to my mind, a picture of a chaotic storm of spidery things whirling about and destroying everything in its path. Much akin to the firestorm which raged over the prison planet in the Riddick movie.
The German word used, Wimmeln, is taking much of that notion away though, as it lacks the awesome and destructive sense. Its more appropriate for something like ... "the wounds of that corpse are teeming with maggots" or "that hill of ants is teeming with insects". As opposed to (The Mummy Returns): "the desert's hills were swarmed by thousands of Anubis' warriors".
Hence I asked what Teeming should present ... and I believe it is far more destructive, overwhelming and awesome a notion than what I would describe with Wimmeln.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:39:02  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Well, the thing here is, of course, that there are a number of possible translations for "teeming".
Reading about the Teeming brought a picture to my mind, a picture of a chaotic storm of spidery things whirling about and destroying everything in its path. Much akin to the firestorm which raged over the prison planet in the Riddick movie.
The German word used, Wimmeln, is taking much of that notion away though, as it lacks the awesome and destructive sense. Its more appropriate for something like ... "the wounds of that corpse are teeming with maggots" or "that hill of ants is teeming with insects". As opposed to (The Mummy Returns): "the desert's hills were swarmed by thousands of Anubis' warriors".
Hence I asked what Teeming should present ... and I believe it is far more destructive, overwhelming and awesome a notion than what I would describe with Wimmeln.

That is really quite interesting. Thanks for sharing, Zanan.

And your sense of the Teeming is what I intended when writing. After all, what else but a massive eruption and endless wave of giant arachnids could give the likes of Quenthel, Pharaun, and Co. concern?

Hopefully, the description of the Wimmeln conveys the chaos and scale of the event, even if the word itself doesn't carry that connotation in German.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  10:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply!

The description comes over well enough, rest assured. The guys from "Feder & Schwert" know their stuff. And, by the way, sorry for using these movie analogies. I just couldn't come up with better written explanations :-/

BTW, speaking of WotSQ VI revisions and all, any way to contact you (or you me)?

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000