Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  23:40:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers, I was wondering...Evermeet: Island of Elves was supposed to be in the POV of Danillo Thann writing about Elven history. As the nephew of one of the most influential archmages in the Realms, a bard, and a Sha'Tel'Quessir, he has access to all kinds of Elven lore. Because he is able to get lore that dates back to when the Elves first came to Toril, this demonstrates that, through oral and/or written records, the Elves have lept a fairly meticulous cataloguing of their past. Now, it is revealed that the Elves created the Rage, via the use of a High Magic ritual, and the laying of a Mythal. Now, why is it that this is "forgotten" lore? Something so monumental as a Mythal laying is not something that would go unnoticed, nor would it go undocumented. Or, are the Elves of Evermeet silent on purpose on this matter, for whatever the reason...

-I hope you can help, as I am particularly interested in this subject. Thanks a whole lot!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  01:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At the time, it was like the Manhattan Project. Top secret. Even among the elves, only those directly involved knew it was happening. And as you know if you read the trilogy, many of those guys were wiped out in a big battle. Also, the Rage was created a VERY long time ago. Even a long-lived people like elves are going to lose track of information over enormous spans of time. just as humans do in the real world. They might retain some pieces of extremely ancient lore, but not necessarily everything.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  12:58:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Byers! A great start into the year of 2007. May yoiur next books be as secussful as those from last year and may your fountain of inspiration keep streaming.

I was wondering if you or anyone else did a body count on how many Dragons were slain during the Rage. Did the many death endanger the existance of Dragons in any way? Or brought a huge inbalance between evil and good dragons on Faerun along (if there was a balance before)?

Just a few musings i came across...

Thanks in advance for your answer.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  15:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Erg. I didn't do a body count of dragons slain. I don't know if anyone else has. Obviously, a fair number of them did die, but not enough to threaten the continuation of the species. The trilogy may create a false impression of how many died across the Realms as a whole. What with dragon armies clashing. mighty professional dragon slayers taking care of business, and all that sort of thing, you saw a fair number of dragons get greased in the novels, but that wouldn't necessarily have been the case worldwide. And because, overall, not that many died, I don't think a big new imbalance between good and evil was created.
Go to Top of Page

Gemfire
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  05:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Gemfire's Homepage Send Gemfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Year of The Rogue Dragons was the series that introduced me to Forgotten Realms (I was/am a Dragonlance fan for years and it occurred to me that I'd never checked out anything forgotten realms - which didn't make any sense to me). I just finished reading the series for the second time now. Do you know when we could expect further advertures of Dorn & crew? I realize you're currently writing another series, but is there anything laid out for after that for you, or anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  15:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Gemfire. I'm glad you enjoyed the trilogy.
As you mentioned, I'm currently doing The Haunted Land, and although Unclean (Book One) comes out in just a couple weeks, the trilogy won't wrap up until 2009. I don't have anything scheduled after that, although I imagine there will be more Forgotten Realms projects in my future. So unfortunately, I have no idea when I'll do a sequel to Year of Rogue Dragons, although I'd love to get back to those characters eventually.
Meanwhile, have you read my book Queen of the Depths? It doesn't have Dorn and his pals in it, either, but it is another tale of the Year of Rogue Dragons, and you might find it interesting.
My story in the Realm of the Elves anthology is a prequel to Year of Rogue Dragons set in Faerūn's remote past.
Go to Top of Page

Gemfire
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  05:22:33  Show Profile  Visit Gemfire's Homepage Send Gemfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not had the pleasure of reading that novel yet. I've only had the chance to read around 15 Forgotten Realms books total. I've read the trilogy I mentioned, some Ed Greenwood and also some R. A. Salvatore. Due to money issues I don't see myself able to go buy more books for awhile (Well, nothing from a new bookstore, I could get some for cheap at a used bookstore if they have any I suppose), but I plan on buying some of your other works when I am able (Along with more Salvatore...I've got to finish the whole Drizzt Do'Urden series, heh. You both have me hooked).
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  03:12:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Less than two weeks to wait for Unclean!!

Yeah!!!

Richard, while you are writing a massive project such as this trilogy, do you write anything else? Or is it too time consuming?

What do you when you take a break to "get away" from writing?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  14:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I write a novel, I prefer to focus on that project alone. When I wrote Unclean, that was all I worked on. And now that I'm writing Undead, the sequel, it's the only thing I'm working on.
But I didn't go straight from Unclean to Undead. With books only coming out at a rate of one per year, it wasn't necessary, because it doesn't take me a year to write a 100,000 word novel. I finished Unclean early last year, did a Warhammer novel, did some short fiction, and then returned to The Haunted Land.
Actually, if it's necessary to score additionaal money, I am capable of setting aside a novel in progress of to do something else. Generally, that means leaving the book for a week or two to do a short story that someone needs quickly. Although I stopped partway through The Ruin to write a whole other novel, Queen of the Depths.
In my leisure time, I like to fence and play poker, either face to face with friends or online. I used to play RPGs with friends at least once a month, but everybody's so busy that it's tough to get our group together on a regular basis anymore, and even tougher for me or any of the other guys who used to GM to find the spare time to create scenarios.
I read, watch TV, and go to the movies, also, just like everybody else, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Cyandor
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  03:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Cyandor's Homepage Send Cyandor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers,

I recently finished Unclean and really enjoyed the novel. I am looking forward to the rest of the triliogy.

As part of your research for Unclean did you by any chance read The Simbul's Gift? I am wondering because of how you portrayed the Zulkir of Illusion. I was wondering if you intended the Zulkir to be the same person or if you had left the identity of the current Zulkir deliberately ambiguous. Plus, I am curious if Lauzoril will have a strong enough need to call in his favor from the Simbul.

Thanks for your answer and job well done on the book.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  14:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cyandor: I'm glad you enjoyed the novel.
I have to admit, I have not read the The Simbul's Gift. My primary sources for information about Thay in general and the zulkirs in particular were FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Unapproachable East, and the 2nd Edition sourcebook dealing with Thay, the title of which is eluding me at this moment. Dreams of the Red Wizards, or something like that, maybe?
Since I portray the Zulkir of Illusion as someone who changes her appearance the way other people change clothes, it's certainly reasonable to question whether she's really the same person seen in previous novels.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  15:46:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Dreams of the Red Wizards, or something like that, maybe?

Aye, either that or the Spellbound box set. Surprised you didn't use that if you didn't since it had a lot of updated info that Dreams didn't have since Dreams was older.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  16:29:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Since I portray the Zulkir of Illusion as someone who changes her appearance the way other people change clothes, it's certainly reasonable to question whether she's really the same person seen in previous novels.
Well, that certainly fits with the way in which Mythrell'aa was written up in Spellbound. Trying to nail down any definitive facts regarding the Zulkir of Illusion seems to be an almost impossible task. She apparently likes it that way.

Rich, I'm really eager for this particular FR novel release. As I've said many times, Thay and its Red Wizards [especially the Zulkirs] are one of my favorite elements of the eastern Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Apr 2007 16:33:15
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  16:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope you like it when you get to it, Sage. As I was researching and writing it, I certainly came to share your enthusiasm for Thay. It's an intriguing place.
Go to Top of Page

Cyandor
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  00:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Cyandor's Homepage Send Cyandor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it is worth, I would highly recommend the Simbul's Gift if you are inclined to do any more research into what looks to be a very promising trilogy

*** SPOILER WARNING - Simbul's Gift*******

It is strongly suggested, though by no means conclusive that the Zulkir of Illusion is killed at the end of the story. Hence, my question about whether the Zulkir of Illusion is the same person. Plus, Lauzoril appears to strike a deal with the Simbul. A coup by Szass Tam seems to be great reason for him to call for help. Even if those points aren't incorporated into the trilogy I think the way the Zulkirs were portrayed was quite good. Above all, it was an entertaining read.

Edited by - Cyandor on 21 Apr 2007 00:42:23
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  21:10:49  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second Cyandor. The Simbul's Gift remains my favorite stand alone novel and maybe favorite novel all together set in the Realms, but then Lynn Abbey is truly a great fantasy writer, which is not to take away from any of the other luminaries of Realms or other fantasy fiction.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  14:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AAAHHHH !!!! My eyes a burning I read a spoiler and I haven’t done reading the book

(Ahh my own fault!!)

A quick question Richard… the undead baybe in Unclean is it a Atropal ore a Atrapol scion.

I am really enjoying this book

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 28 Apr 2007 19:10:12
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  19:18:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythrell'aa also shows up in Powers & Pantheons. Look at the write-up of the Flaming Brazier at the end of the book in the temples section.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  20:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Victor: Glad you're enjoying the story.
Xingax is an atropal scion.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  21:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done reading.. Done thinking about the book… and forced everybody I know to buy the book.. and I used to be the one criticising the authors..

I am speechless.. I almost forgot to breathe.. when Malark het Szass Tam's..

Ahh.. Yes I only have one thing that’s really disappointing: The way Aznar Thrul died ?
A Zulkir that forgets that a outsider / Tenari can teleport…
I really can’t understand whey you chose that strange way of killing the Zulkir

I really enjoyed the book unclean, and I can’t wait to read more… keep up the good work

Other Comments.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9167

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  04:28:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Richard, I know this might be more of an editorial question, by I thought that you might know the answer.

Upon looking at the ads for upcoming Realms books in the Gossamer Plain, I noticed that Undead is listed as March 2008, and Unholy is listed as "early" 2009, but Realms of the Dead is listed as early 2010! Not only did is seem a bit strange that the anthology would come out a year after the trilogy is done, but usually these things come out just before the last book of the trilogy (Realms of War, for example, is listed as coming out in January 2008, just ahead of Shadowrealm in May 2008).

I was just wondering if you knew anything about this or could shed any light on this.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  10:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha ... someone "stole" my idea of freeing Mari! T'was part of my entry for the Maiden of Pain contest. Really enjoy reading this book and it will be interesting to see how Thay reshapes in the future.

One question though ... near the beginning that blood fiend witnesses a feast for the demons and devil in Thrul's castle under the premisse that they all need food to survive. Where did this notion come from? Don't get me wrong here, no critique or something, but some gamers tend to be fickle and will dispute the lore stuff (MM et al say outsiders and demons and devils in particular need no food etc., as they are powered by the souls in the Abyss or Baator - or however it works) as opposed to the novel story. And as the novel is more up to date ... ach well, never mind!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  06:46:54  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Richard, I am part way through Unclean, great stuff. I have always enjoyed your work here in the realms. Question for you, Dorn's write-up in Dragon did not have an eclfor him. What would you have given him for being a half-golem minus a few abilities. You have a knack for evil characters, did your novel in WoTSQ help in your novels about Thay?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  15:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Knight: I noticed that, and it seemed a little odd to me, too. But I've got nothing to do with the scheduling, so I can't shed any light on it.
I guess it means that whatever I write, it had better not be an essential must-read bridge between Novels 2 and 3.
Zanan: I guess maybe I got that particular point wrong. But nobody in the WotC offices corrected it. So maybe it's not wrong?
Offhand, I can think of a couple ways to justify it even if, technically, I did get it wrong. One would be that demons and devils are powered by the trapped souls in the netherworld as long as they too are in the netherworld. But maybe, if they wind up spending long periods of time in the mortal world, they need another form of sustenance. Another rationalization woud be that while they don't absolutely need to eat, they still hunger and still want to.
Fire: Since I'm not a game designer, I'm probably not the best person to answer your question. But just off the top of my head, I would think that Dorn's superior fighting skills and the like would compensate for the half-golem abilities that he's missing. So maybe he breaks even, EC-wise?
By the way, I felt like I pretty much had to deprive him of the missing abilities. I have kind of a twisted sense of humor, but even so, I just couldn't see writing an epic trilogy about a hero whose ultimate secret weapon is passing gas.
I guess writing Dissolution helped prepare me for writing Unclean, given that both books deal with dark societies and characters. But Dissolution was far from the first story I'd done with a sinister side to it, and everything you write sharpens your skills and makes you better able to wriie all the stories that come after.
Anyway, glad you're enjoying the book.
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  20:31:03  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. You had me laughing with the passing gas comment. Keep up the great work.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  23:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks as well. "My" Mari lived longer though

As for the food issue, one might be inclined and send a pit fiend over to the office and hand them a Monster Manual or the Fiendish Codices ... which they most likely all have read as well. No outsider has to sleep or eat, while demons and devils in particular are driven / nourished by the souls going to their respective planes. Then again, both species do enjoy a bit of slaughter and who knows whether they told the Red Wizards what their diet is in the first place. So in essence, no harm done ... well, unless we think of these poor humans in the novel.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 20 May 2007 23:55:58
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2007 :  09:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While reading Unclean I noticed that you used quite a bit of detail given in the Thayan sourcebooks - e.g. those "monk" orders and the Black Flame Zealots. Will we see any Thayan Knights making an appearance in the upcoming books too?

BTW, while checking on something else, I noted that the Flaming Brazier temple is actually fully described in Powers & Pantheons, staff, maps and all.

All the best, Zanan!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 25 May 2007 09:27:51
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2007 :  13:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Obviously, there are Thayan knights fighting in the conflict along with all the other warrior types in the country, but to be honest, they don't become a major focus. Actually, I don't think there's even a character with a speaking role who is plainly identifiable as belonging to the prestige class, although I believe there are some who could.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2007 :  16:44:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any intimidating guy looming near the shoulder of a Red Wizard is a Thayan Knight

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  10:04:20  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, the picture in Complete Warrior will give some inspiration, though she doesn't exactly look like a guy, does she ... http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cw_ag/75426.jpg

Anyway, the revision is out now (all German, I'm afraid) and one final - hopefully not NDA breaking - question lingers: will we read more of Shabella, the Maskarran leader of Bezantur?

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000