Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  05:17:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

In my part of the world (Florida), all the chain bookstores do carry Forgotten Realms novels, including mine. So I guess it is a regional difference.

I don't recall noting this bit before... I'm on the Space Coast; whereabouts in Florida are you?

I failed to note any FR books in the one bookstore I wandered into while in Ireland; it was in a tourist-y area in Dublin.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  05:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in Plant City.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:16:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm in Plant City.

Hmm, a couple hours due west, mostly. I had no idea any authors were that close.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't recall noting this bit before... I'm on the Space Coast; whereabouts in Florida are you?

You mean Cape Canaveral?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  21:33:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

You mean Cape Canaveral?

Yup. I'm south of there. The whole area is called the Space Coast. South of us is the Treasure Coast.

I can watch shuttle and rocket launches from my yard. I haven't done so from this house, but I've done it at other places I've lived around here.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  23:40:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup. I'm south of there. The whole area is called the Space Coast. South of us is the Treasure Coast.

I can watch shuttle and rocket launches from my yard. I haven't done so from this house, but I've done it at other places I've lived around here.

That's neat! And I'd bet there's plenty of great wildlife there, too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  00:13:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

That's neat! And I'd bet there's plenty of great wildlife there, too.

Indeed... If you love mosquitos. I don't, but they love me...

There is a lot of wildlife, though. I've seen a lot of different kinds of bugs, birds, snakes, lizards... We have a lot of armadillos, too, but their natural state seems to be dead on the side of the road. And gators, of course. I've seen mostly small ones (only a foot or two long), but I have seen some larger ones. And there was a very large one I saw out at the Cape, back when I was a kid. It's really wild out there, because NASA only clears out exactly what they need, and leave the rest utterly wild -- going out there, you can see how easy it was for the Seminoles to disappear when the US Army came looking for them. Anyway, my dad guesstimated that this particularly gator was at least 15 feet long... When the gator suddenly started swimming towards us at a pretty good speed, we got the heck out of dodge, hopped in the car, and got out of the area.

I saw this gator last year. It's a mama gator, maybe 6 feet long or so. Her babies were nearby, but I didn't get them in the pic.

And that's all the derailing of this thread I'm going to do.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Sep 2008 00:14:53
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  16:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for the picture! When I was in Florida this past August, I saw ALLIGATORS, myself (for the first time!).

OK, I'm not going to derail the thread anymore, either. I just love talking about this stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  21:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's sort of a silly Halloween related one for you Richard, since we are approaching that wonderful holiday. Well perhaps it's also a disguised attempt to ruin the mental image Szass Tam for you (and everyone :P). Is Szass Tam's true master plot, to gather the most undead ever in the history of all the planes together in order to do the largest recreation of Michael Jackson's, "Thriller" video, with him playing the role of Michael?

HA! Now the next time you picture the archlich, it will be him in a red leather suit, dancing with zombies! Takes the edge off his menace, doesn't it? ;)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  22:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure that associating Szass with Michael Jackson makes him less scary. For a lot of people, it could have the opposite effect.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  23:21:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure that associating Szass with Michael Jackson makes him less scary. For a lot of people, it could have the opposite effect.

Indeed. Michael Jackson is far more scary than Szass Tam!

Besides, everyone knows that Szass Tam is a big fan of line dancing and country music.

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  03:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Touché, but mark my words, the next time you read about him, the mental image of him in that suit is going to pop involuntarily into your brain. But in a more serious question, are we going to see any undead aphorisms in the next book? For example, from Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams, "We have a saying. Life is wasted on the living"

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  04:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aphorisms? That's not for the writer to say. People will have to read it and decide for themselves if any of the dialogue is particularly memorable or quotable.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  02:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've started blogging. I don't promise to say anything brilliant, but if you'd like to check it out from time to time, you can find it at:

league.squarespace.com
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  17:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've started blogging. I don't promise to say anything brilliant, but if you'd like to check it out from time to time, you can find it at:

league.squarespace.com

Do an entry on manatees and other Tampa Bay wildlife.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  16:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a short story in the anthology Catopolis, edited by Janet Deaver-Pack and Martin H. Greenberg and newly released by DAW Books. It's a book of fantasy stories about cats in urban environments. So if that sounds like your kind of thing, or if you just like my stuff, you might want to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  16:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a short story in the anthology Catopolis, edited by Janet Deaver-Pack and Martin H. Greenberg and newly released by DAW Books. It's a book of fantasy stories about cats in urban environments.

I love cats, so that does sound like just my thing. Thanks for the heads-up.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  21:33:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm now on Facebook. So if any of you are into that kind of thing and want to add me to your Friends list, please do.
I've mentioned my blog (at richardleebyers.com) before. It's now featuring the serialized tale of my three recent eye surgeries, so if that's something that might interest you, have a look.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:56:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a short story in the anthology Catopolis, edited by Janet Deaver-Pack and Martin H. Greenberg and newly released by DAW Books. It's a book of fantasy stories about cats in urban environments. So if that sounds like your kind of thing, or if you just like my stuff, you might want to check it out.

I'll be picking up a copy of this book today, since it's just been released here.

I'll happily admit that I'm a sucker when it comes to cat-based fiction... and will likely devour these tales in less than a day.

I just hope it doesn't give Sibelius [my Russian-blue] any ideas.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  13:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a story in the new anthology Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar, edited by Mercedes Lackey and published by DAW Books. If you like Valdemar or like my stuff, I hope you'll check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  20:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

These question seems not to have been asked (except, perhaps, on the spoiler scrolls): how is Xingax's name pronounced and where are the syllable breaks? Who was Xingax's divine grandparent or whatever it was that caused him to be an atrophal scion? Inquiring sages of obscure lore want to know!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  21:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Jamallo.

It's Zing-ax. all vowels short, slight accent on the first syllable.

I have to confess, I didn't figure out Xingax's actual family tree. It wasn't relevant to the story, so I didn't bother.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  04:49:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to reading my copy of this anthology and good story, good story indeed. I forgot that you had a story in this anthology until I opened the cover and saw your name. Pretty nice to see you write a tale for Valdemar.

Any plans for maybe another? :) I know, you can't answer that. Grin.

quote:

I have a story in the new anthology Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar, edited by Mercedes Lackey and published by DAW Books. If you like Valdemar or like my stuff, I hope you'll check it out.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  14:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, Kuje, I believe I can answer that one. If all goes, well, I should have a story in the next Valdemar anthology as well. That'll make four I've done altogether.
Go to Top of Page

starcream
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  12:57:13  Show Profile  Visit starcream's Homepage Send starcream a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, I have a question,When did Ryld and Pharaun met for the first time?As student or As teacher?

Edited by - starcream on 03 Feb 2009 12:58:51
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  13:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As teachers.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  16:46:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh cool beans! Hmmm. I'll have to drag out my other anthologies and reread them. Didn't recall you had stories in them. :)

quote:

Actually, Kuje, I believe I can answer that one. If all goes, well, I should have a story in the next Valdemar anthology as well. That'll make four I've done altogether.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Oriac
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  04:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Oriac's Homepage Send Oriac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, at the end of Dissolution it seems like Gromph is actually afraid of the possibility that Pharaun might try and use his new found fame to gain the status of Archmage. "Pharaun may strike for the Robes of the Archmage" is the quote I'm referring to.

My question is...

If Pharaun was to battle Gromph in an actual spell duel would he get his arse kicked? Would he hold his ground for a while?
Considering that it seems he grew a lot in power from the first book(being mopped on the floor by a Mind Flayer), to the magnificent mage he was in the sixth (pretty much creaming Inthracis the Ultroloth), do you think that if he had survived the ending of the Resurrection could he have come back to claim the Robes? I'd like an estimate of what you think would happen if he tried before the second book and after the sixth, with his two respective experience levels.

And thank you if you decide to answer, I love all your work.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  05:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oriac, it all depends on who writes it.. If I wrote it, Pharaun would win. But by doing something clever, not by outgunning Gromph in terms of raw power. I doubt he's got that much mojo even in Book Six.
Glad you like my stuff. Thanks for taking the time to tell me so.
Go to Top of Page

Oriac
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  14:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Oriac's Homepage Send Oriac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard that is exactly what I was thinking, about him winning by outwitting his opponent. It irks me that he had to die in such a simple, whimpy way. As Goodman Malark would say, he deserved a better death.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000