Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  19:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James Ryman just proceeded on the basis of what was in the story. He didn't contact me. I've found that's pretty much SOP in book and magazine publishing. The artist almost never communicates directly with the writer.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  19:28:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

James Ryman just proceeded on the basis of what was in the story. He didn't contact me. I've found that's pretty much SOP in book and magazine publishing. The artist almost never communicates directly with the writer.

That's what I thought took place which is why I was impressed when I heard Todd Lockwood consulted Elaine Cunningham when he did cover art for some of her paperback novels.

Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  16:59:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading "New In Town." Thank you for a fun read that let us see Taegan before he got some experience in dealing with other cultures. I think James Ryman's art certainly captured the wide eyed look of a small town lad in the big city.

I look forward to reading more about Taegan as he continues to survive anything an author might throw at him.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  04:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it, Sirius.
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  21:06:54  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi there,

Do you any form of D&D? I know RA Salavatore has a weekly game.
Just curious..keep up the great work.

Mike

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  21:23:50  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I run a D&D game once a month, and play in one that convenes just about as infrequently.
In my time, I've also GMed and/or played Champions, DC Heroes, Vampire, and Call of Cthulhu, but I'm not doing anything with any of those systems at the moment.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you're enjoying my stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  11:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some one asked a rather interesting question iver at WOTC regarding the effects of Rage

Are Dragons now more common on Random monster tables in the Year of Rogue Dragons?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  14:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let me respond to that after a

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

You might tend to encounter chromatics more often, because they're out rampaging across the countryside. When you did encounter them, they'd tend to be in groups (the flights), and, obviously, they'd be full of homocidal bloodlust.
This assumes that Sammaster and the Cult of the Dragon haven't yet managed to calm too many of the chromatics and shepherd them into their secret strongholds to get turned into dracoliches.
You would definitely tend to encounter metallics less often, because so many of them are hibernating in their secret refuges as per Lareth's plan.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  14:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich

Is the Dragon Rage "Global" or limited to the Eastern side of the realms? (ie the areas that where covered in Rage)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  14:44:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Thanks Rich

Is the Dragon Rage "Global" or limited to the Eastern side of the realms? (ie the areas that where covered in Rage)

I hope it's global given the two anthologies that will apparently be devoted to this event.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  17:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

and, obviously, they'd be full of homocidal* bloodlust.

I couldn't help but think of a smart quip when I read this, but think I'll refrain from sharing it in case some might find it offensive.

*emphasis added

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  18:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do know how to spell. It's typing that gives me trouble.
The Rage is global.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  19:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And here I thought you were trying to make some sort of social statement about the sexual preferences of dragons.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Edited by - Kameron M. Franklin on 10 Jun 2004 19:24:08
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  23:23:44  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides the correct word should have been xenocidal.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  00:42:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I checked my trusty dictionary, Sarta, and you may be right. "Xenocidal" may be the better choice. Although it appears that one definition of "homicide" is a person who kills another, and in the FR, a dragon is a person. So if I wanted to dig in and fight, I could put an argument that my word choice is technically correct.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  16:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question for Rich

Does the Rage effect creatures that have Dragon Blood like Half Dragons & Dragonkin?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  19:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, I would say yes, to some degree. In other words, some half-dragons and dragonkin would go flat-out bonkers berserko crazy, like true dragons, some would alternate between psychotic episodes and lucidity, some would become more hostile, irascible, and prone to violence, and some would feel little or not effect.
As a rule of thumb, the more closely a hybrid beastie resembled a true dragon, the more leery I'd be of getting amywhere near it during a Rage.
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  20:55:12  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there MR Byers, this may sound weird but
I'm translating your book "dissolution" into my native tongue
and I want to ask you smth, if you don't mind

in chapter 8 before pharaun reveals that Lolth is gone he says to Ryld, who's caring for his sword;"is this how you attend to mind-boggling revelations? I suppose I'm lucky you don't have to use the JAKES."

what does he mean by the JAKES ?
is it an idiom or a saying which I do not know?

thanks for your time :)

this is the end of the world news: sponsored by god
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  21:05:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rumblebelly
what does he mean by the JAKES ?
is it an idiom or a saying which I do not know?

thanks for your time :)

I'm not Mr. Byers. However, I believe in that passage, "Jakes" refers to an outdoor privy or outhouse.

I hope that helps and apologies if I'm mistaken.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  21:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're right, Sirius. The jakes is the latrine.
Just out of curiosity, rumblebelly, what is your native language?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  21:50:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're right, Sirius. The jakes is the latrine.

Cool. And to think all my English teacher thought I did was stare at Laura Elpern's legs in class and never listened to anything she was teaching.

By the way rumblebelly, thanks for mentioning the scene. As I get ready to go over that novel and the others in the series in anticipation of next month's release of Annihilation, I think that comment by Phauraun clearly shows his verbal wit and irreverant attitude that helps make the series fun to read. Cheers to Mr. Byers and everyone else for giving Realms fans such a colorful character...who will probably be killed by Paul Kemp.
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  21:54:28  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Turkish
I also Translate RAS novels
actually I'm co-editoring the spider queen series with my colleague

btw, great work MR Byers
I love the new face of Menzoberranzan (especially the silken rack, you know what I mean ;) )

Go to Top of Page

norticus
Acolyte

Turkey
6 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  22:01:56  Show Profile  Visit norticus's Homepage Send norticus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi mr byers
im the one rumblebelly is talking about :)

btw dissolution is my first novel in translation and i hope all the Turkish fr fans will love the WotSQ series

thanx for your help, its wonderful to be able to contact the writer as a translator...
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  02:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info and the kind words, rumblebelly. And, norticus, you're more than welcome. Seems to me that any writer with a lick of sense would be happy to assist the guys translating his stuff into another language.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  03:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Would the effects of the Rage be best described as working the same way as a "Permanent" Confusion spell on the Dragon/Dragon Blood creature?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  11:29:57  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, sirius you're right there
Pharaun is somehow cooler than Jarlaxle himself (uhm nope, they are equal, well sorta like)
I liked the friendship between him and Ryld and when Pharaun betrayed him to save himself I just thought "Gosh, these are dark elves!"

Norticus and I were talking about it the other day and he said "I almost came to believe they were not dark elves at all untill Pharaun's betrayal"
well he's right

another question, not with a professional intention though
I wonder why your Triel is more incompetent than RAS' Triel in the Legacy series. I mean she was not that helpless then. But maybe matron motherhood shook her for good I know she was afraid to have all the responsibilities a matron should bear, but I always pictured her as a "little demon of a drow" you changed that mental image a bit and replaced there a scared little girl on the throne instead... (no offense pls, tis but my humble opinion)

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  13:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dargoth: In my opinion, the Rage is not compaable to a permanent Confusion spell, because a Confusion spell could make a dragon do things (run away from a foe, attack a dragon ally in preference to human prey) that the Rage would never do. And vice versa.
rumblebelly:My depiction of Triel is essentially based on the Peter Principle. In case you're not familiar with that idea, it's the notion that successful leaders and managers are likely to rise, win promotion, etc., until ultimately, they reach a position where the demands of the job exceeds their talents.
Why did I choose to depict her that way? To enhance the plot. Dissolution's about Menzoberranzan in crisis. The crisis is that much more serious if the boss is having trouble coping.
Is what I did consistent with what RAS had done with the character before me? Well, that's something that every reader can legitimately decide for himself. But for what it's worth, I'll offer up my standard Dissolution defense: RAS was the consulting editor on the book. He approved everything you see in the published version.
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  15:07:20  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you're right
if Triel was a strong matron as her mother
there would be no such rivalry between Gromph and Quenthel
over the decisions of the throne

Go to Top of Page

norticus
Acolyte

Turkey
6 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  15:15:17  Show Profile  Visit norticus's Homepage Send norticus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Triel herself says "i didnt have to think about the subject, my advisors will take care of it."
she doesnt take and want any responsibilities
what a wonderful leader... :)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  16:07:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My depiction of Triel is essentially based on the Peter Principle. In case you're not familiar with that idea, it's the notion that successful leaders and managers are likely to rise, win promotion, etc., until ultimately, they reach a position where the demands of the job exceeds their talents.

Ah, thank you for giving that notion a name. I've heard it expressed regarding more than one organization, but it was always given a less than flattering nomenclature than the one you just shared.

quote:

Is what I did consistent with what RAS had done with the character before me? Well, that's something that every reader can legitimately decide for himself. But for what it's worth, I'll offer up my standard Dissolution defense: RAS was the consulting editor on the book. He approved everything you see in the published version.

That's something I did not know. Thank you. Am I correct in logically assuming that he is fulfilling this same role with all the other books within the series?

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 12 Jun 2004 16:08:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000