Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  21:53:45  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
skychrome, this is taken from the novels section.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Very cool, Rich's wotc blog ...check the jan 25th entry:

http://community.wizards.com/wotc_richbaker/blog/

This is very good news......if you put me into a corner, I would have to rank jack a top 5 FR novel character. If it happens......great move by wotc.(man have I wanted to be able to say something like that for a loooonnngnnggg time!)

Januar 25th entry, just a tiny mention of the possibility :)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  23:21:31  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elfinblade, found it! Absolutely aweseome, as he already wrote chapter 2, then this is more than a mere posibility!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2011 :  02:04:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Hiya!

I have a question concerning the Kur-Tharsu (Ogre Magi) of the lands of Thar.

In your article concerning Thar titled "The Tribes of Thar" you write that Kur-Tharsu means "Overlords of Thar"

Could you break down what the pieces of that mean? For instance, does Kur mean "Overlord" in Giantish, or King...or...?

I would greatly appreciate it!

To which Rich answered:

quote:
Regrettably we don't have any kind of lexicon of Giantish, so treat this as a very informal answer... I would say "Kur" means lord or master, and "Tharsu" naturally describes "things or people Tharish." Maybe the better translation is "masters of the Thars," meaning the tribes/peoples of Thar, as opposed to "masters of Thar" meaning the land.

For that matter, possibly kur is a plural, and the singular would be kar or kir.

So, all in all: Pick an answer you like, and have fun with it!

So there ya have it!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  13:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where should I head if I want to ask Rich a question over at Wizards forums?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  14:12:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Where should I head if I want to ask Rich a question over at Wizards forums?

Last I heard, Rich's personal thread over on the Wizards boards had been closed -- partly because his work schedule just wasn't allowing him enough time to answer questions with any real degree of frequency.

I suppose you could just post a general question on the board, with a header address to Rich. Maybe that'll get his attention?

To be honest, I really don't know. It's been a long while since I've been regularly active over there, so Rich's answering technique may have changed again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  21:27:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sent him a personal message and he got back to me in just a couple of days.

That was the only time I'd PMd him there...I used to annoy the hell out of him about Birthright though; so he may just be used to me. LOL

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  22:26:20  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich was laid off by WotC today. Cheers to his 20+ years and may he have many more.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  22:34:22  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Rich was laid off by WotC today. Cheers to his 20+ years and may he have many more.

I really don't like the month of December.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  22:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sad news!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  00:38:03  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whatever may be the reason for that, it is not that we are not already used to such news lately from WotC.
I hope this does not affect his upcoming Prince of Ravens novel!
And man...isn´t this nice one week before Christmas...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 15 Dec 2011 00:40:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  01:13:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though I may not have always agreed with some of his developmental choices regarding the Realms, I often found myself admiring his designer-traits and his ability to carry forth with new and alternate setting ideas.

He will be missed.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  04:32:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Though I may not have always agreed with some of his developmental choices regarding the Realms, I often found myself admiring his designer-traits and his ability to carry forth with new and alternate setting ideas.

He will be missed.

Agreed, Sage. Even if things developed differently than I wanted, he is still a great designer and writer. Best of luck!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  12:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Whatever may be the reason for that, it is not that we are not already used to such news lately from WotC.
I hope this does not affect his upcoming Prince of Ravens novel!
And man...isn´t this nice one week before Christmas...

Rich's farewell message quoted on EN World says he'll continue working on Prince of Ravens....

A sad day, indeed.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  14:46:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich was instrumental in bringing us a ton of stuff. Some of my faves:
(2E) Planescape Monstrous Compendium, The Will and the Way
(3E) Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Magic of Faerűn, Unapproachable East, Lords of Darkness
(3.5E) Lost Empires of Faerűn, Tome of Battle, Underdark*

* Well, okay, I confess I didn't really like this last one, not at all in fact, but popularity demands inclusion. 8/9 is still an excellent grade.

You are always welcome to visit Candlekeep, Sir Baker, as often as you like. Your contributions have vastly exceeded the usual entrance fees, though I hope you don't mind if we reassign your nice vacant apartment to some other worthy (and opportunistic) scribe.

Perhaps you'll join the Paizo team, win-win I say. Regardless, best luck in whatever ye choose to do.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Dec 2011 14:50:25
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  15:02:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But he still gets to write more FR novels after Prince of Ravens, right? At the very least, I hope he could pen a trilogy detailing the new adventures of Aeron Morieth.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  19:16:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

But he still gets to write more FR novels after Prince of Ravens, right? At the very least, I hope he could pen a trilogy detailing the new adventures of Aeron Morieth.

Being an employee for WotC/TSR has never been a requirement for novel writers. I don't think it likely that we'll see more of Aeron Morieth, though. He's not been one of the more popular characters, and absent some method of surviving the Sellplague and the timejump, he'll not be around in the 4E Realms. With FR, there has been a notable reluctance to have novels set in anything other than the here-and-now.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  19:17:15  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So would Rich be willing to once again answer lore questions
from us as he no longer a employee of the MAN?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  23:13:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being an employee of TSR/WotC/Hasbro has never been a reason why someone would not participate here.

That was an odd thought.

On the other hand, it may have been suggested that 'in-house' guys don't hang around here, for legal reasons. For instance, if they came up with an idea that was very similar to one that was discussed here earlier, they could be accused of stealing the idea (although ideas can't be copyrighted - only actual written material, and it would only be a problem if 'lifted' verbatim).

For much the same reason that professional musicians can't really listen to, and offer opinions on, the un-published music of others.

But I think he just got tired of the Grognardize - it got pretty bad during the "Rich Baker must be stopped!" campaign. That was like blaming Einstein for the Atom Bomb.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  23:52:33  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was under the impression that current employees
were encouraged not to be here. Just an impression I got.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  00:04:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Yeah, I was under the impression that current employees
were encouraged not to be here. Just an impression I got.

I'm curious as to how you came by that impression?

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jan 2012 00:15:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  04:21:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Being an employee of TSR/WotC/Hasbro has never been a reason why someone would not participate here.

That was an odd thought.

On the other hand, it may have been suggested that 'in-house' guys don't hang around here, for legal reasons. For instance, if they came up with an idea that was very similar to one that was discussed here earlier, they could be accused of stealing the idea (although ideas can't be copyrighted - only actual written material, and it would only be a problem if 'lifted' verbatim).

For much the same reason that professional musicians can't really listen to, and offer opinions on, the un-published music of others.

But I think he just got tired of the Grognardize - it got pretty bad during the "Rich Baker must be stopped!" campaign. That was like blaming Einstein for the Atom Bomb.

Actually, I think it was mostly an issue of time -- he was doing the same thing on the WotC forums, as I understand it, and that was on top of his normal duties.

Somewhere on the WotC site, I once saw either a picture or a video interview of some WotC staffer who had a "Rich Baker must be stopped!" sign at his desk. I think if his co-workers were joking about it, it must not have been that big a deal to him.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  05:24:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually, I think it was mostly an issue of time -- he was doing the same thing on the WotC forums, as I understand it, and that was on top of his normal duties.
Rich Baker confirmed, around the time that he stopped posting here, that his increased workload with Wizards was eating away at the free time he would usually spend either here or on other non-Wizards' sites. That, and the fact that it was making it harder for him to keep track of discussions he could reply to in-between lengthy bouts of absenteeism.

So to simplify things, he opted just to concentrate on what was asked on the Wizards' boards. And encouraged his fans here to post over there -- when relevant -- and freely return here with his replies to queries passed over by scribes of both sites.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  05:55:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is his new blog

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  21:41:58  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, it seemed that he even stopped answering questions
at the WoTC forums as well. A shame, there were still
things in his brain I wanted to pick over.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  02:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fans of Rich Baker may be interested to know that he was signed on to write for the Pathfinder Online project - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  03:25:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Fans of Rich Baker may be interested to know that he was signed on to write for the Pathfinder Online project - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

I'm happy...I am glad to see he landed in a good spot!

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  21:49:32  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to ask Rich if he will come back to CK now that he has long been removed from WotC. If he does, I ask that no one dog-pile him! :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  01:10:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going to ask Rich if he will come back to CK now that he has long been removed from WotC. If he does, I ask that no one dog-pile him! :)

I sent word to Rich a few months back, though I've yet to receive a response.

Maybe you'll have better luck?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  02:31:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see Rich Baker post here again. His decorum during the worst of the anti-4e backlash was commendable. It made me ashamed of the way some of us (at the WotC forums) were behaving. I count him a gentleman and a scholar.

He supported a back-and-forth open dialogue with the fans long before it became fashionable.

quote:

He's not my type.

But I'm open-minded, so whatever floats your boat.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  03:32:41  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He has a (relatively) new Realms book out. That's something to talk about.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000