Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Drizzt short story out
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  16:59:39  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi:

In case any of you Drizzt fans were unaware, RA Salvatore's new non-WotC novel, The Highwayman, includes an original Drizzt short story. The new novel is set in RAS's Demon Wars world, Corona; it's a stand-alone story, set years before the previous books in the series. The book appeared in some stores (Borders and Waldenbooks) this week and should be everywhere else shortly.

Cheers,
James Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 25 Feb 2004 17:01:59

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  05:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I was not aware of this particular bit of knowledge... How did you acquire it? Writers convention?

In any case, Many thanks for the news, Mr. Lowder.

-Shadowlord

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  12:19:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I'd heard about this a while back, but I thought it was just a poor rumor...Oh well, I was intending on purchasing The Highwayman here anyway, once it was released.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  18:35:21  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Really? I was not aware of this particular bit of knowledge... How did you acquire it? Writers convention?

I knew the book was out because I just bought a copy at the local Borders.

RAS had mentioned to me some months back that the new Drizzt story, titled "The Dowry," was going to be in The Highwayman, but I thought that some readers here might not have been aware of those plans.

Cheers,
James Lowder
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  03:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious as to why a FR story is being published in a non-FR related product

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  04:56:24  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the reason is so readers of Salvatore's non-FR work might read it and like it enough to buy the other Drizzt novels. Also, the other way around where FR readers will buy it soley for the Drizzt short story and then they might read the novel and like it enough to buy other Demon Wars novels.

Edited by - CurseLord on 27 Feb 2004 05:48:47
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  05:49:50  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurseLord

I believe the reason is so readers of Salvatore's non-FR work might read it and like it enough to buy the other Drizzt novels. Also, the other way around where FR readers will buy it soley for the Drizzt novel and then they might read the novel and like it enough to buy other Demon Wars novels.

Exactly. The Demon Wars audience is not necessarily reading the Realms novels, and the other way around, too, so this is a good cross-marketing opportunity for both series.

Cheers,
James Lowder
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  15:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody wanna toss me a mini-spoiler on what it's about?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  16:29:11  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoilers~

Its about drizzt and catti in there years before the sea sprite. And talks about how they met up with the captain.

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  12:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn. I want to read the story, but I don`t want to buy the Demon Wars book.
A slap in the faces of the FR fans.

Edited by - Lameth on 28 Feb 2004 12:16:25
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  17:52:44  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

Damn. I want to read the story, but I don`t want to buy the Demon Wars book.
A slap in the faces of the FR fans.

If you don't want to buy the book, borrow it from a library or from a friend. You can also wait to see if the story eventually shows up in a Realms collection, though there's no guarantee of that and/or your wait might be quite long. But you do have options here.

As for the story's publication being a slap in the face--well, no disrespect toward the Realms fans is intended, certainly. It's a standard crossmarketing set up. It's hard to see where you come to the conclusion that's an insult.

Cheers,
James Lowder

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  18:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently read the Short Story, "The Dowry", as my friend bought The Highwaymen (spelling?).

(The Spoiler has been edited out)

Regardless, the story is extremely ironic.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 28 Feb 2004 22:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  18:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I recently read the Short Story, "The Dowry", as my friend bought The Highwaymen (spelling?).
Regardless, the story is extremely ironic.

Thanks for the SPOILER!

Edited by - Lameth on 29 Feb 2004 18:37:47
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  19:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops. I should have said that it would contain spoilers, shouldn't I? Oh well, whats done is done....

Many apologies.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  21:53:35  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oops. I should have said that it would contain spoilers, shouldn't I? Oh well, whats done is done....

Many apologies.....

You can always edit your post and remove the spoiler.

Cheers,
James Lowder
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  22:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Errr, right. I forgot.... Thank you, Mr. Lowder.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

ObsidianIII
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  08:17:34  Show Profile  Visit ObsidianIII's Homepage Send ObsidianIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you guys read Bob's Demonwars books they always had previews of FR novels, Bob just threw in a story. He said at an author signing he wrote that a while ago and needed to stick it in somewhere so why not that book. Their good books.

Mr. Lowder when is your Corona book coming?

"Greyones, or me mothers a friend of Orcs!" Bruenor Battlehammer"
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  21:33:49  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ObsidianIII

Mr. Lowder when is your Corona book coming?

Still working out the exact release date, but right now I'd guess that Brotherhood of the Lost should hit shelves late fall/early winter.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000