Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2015)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  19:44:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
....And Ed is on a roll today! Whenever I turn back to my work, another e-mail from him pops up in my inbox. Guess the last of visiting family have departed and he's snatched a few moments for his own...
This latest missive is in reply to this, from CorellonsDEvout: "I have a question that I realize might be NDA, but it has been a discussion in another thread. Since Myth Drannor was...damaged by Shade falling on it, and many elves have fled to places like Evereska, what are Ilsevele and Fflar doing? Are they leading the refugees? Are they trying to gather a force to head to Myth Drannor to, at the very least, grab the Tree of Souls or reclaim Myth Drannor (again)?"

Here's Ed:
The last we saw of Ilsevele and Fflar, they had made it to Semberholme from the "last battle" in the heart of Myth Drannor. They ARE still leading the refugees, and are once again adopting a low-public-profile for "their" elves, in this part of the world, for the time being. In other words, NOT openly challenging humans or anyone else for territory, and devoting themselves to rebuilding families and daily jobs and prosperity, settling the elves into a stable society once more. And establishing frequent and secure routes of trade and communication between Semberholme, Tangletrees, Evereska, and other elf communities...including a "secret" small one that dwells in the heart of Myth Drannor, clustered around some of the tomb-tunnels and baelnorn. Much of the surrounding forest is still wild/ruined/monster-roamed, and the elves are leaving it that way, "roving" and patrolling rather than rebuffing intruders with set borders and a "this land is ours" mentality...because they see that as a mistake, and am embracing of human ways rather than living in more harmony with the land (i.e. the elven way). Yes, they guard the Tree of Souls as "ours" and keep anyone with fire (and all goblinkin [orcs, hobgoblins, goblins, etc.]) away from it...and yes, "slips" from the Tree have been secretly taken and replanted in Semberholme, Evereska, and Tangletrees, so the Tree can be "moved" by magical means in future, if need be.
On a daily basis, Fflar is reorganizing and training a militia and self-reliant local patrols, establishing esprit de corps and personal connections so trust will rise and lead to cooperation when NEXT the elves have to work together in battle, or fall. Ilsevele is doing the same "building relationships" work among elders and families, encouraging family ties through intermarriages between powerful families, and cooperative "projects" that get rivals and longtime opposite sides in feuds working together and deepening friendships.

So saith Ed. Who will, I hope, provide even more before the day is out...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  19:56:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh, and Ed just proved me right. In reply to these, from Owesstaer:
"1. The High Moor was the direct result of the Dark Disaster in the elven Crown wars. As I found in some other sources, in the dark-/green elven nation of Miyeratar, Eilistraee was one of the major worshipped powers. At that time (so 12 000 years back in time) her temples were supposedly above ground, but where would you set such a sanctuary "nowadays" (1353DR in my campaign). Would they still be above grounds? or have they drifted into the Undermoor?

2. The High Moor barbarians preferred weapons are described as being the short bow and spear for hunting and war. My question revolves around the third weapon mentioned: "fine two-handed swords". Are these really supposed to be those immensely large weapons, or rather like the classic barbarian bastard swords. The reason on why I'm asking this is because I picture these folk a bit like the the picts or gaels from the scotland area, whose iconic weapon was the claymore.

3. A question about daggerford citizen Filarion Filvendorson. He's born in 1300 DR. In 1315 his mother is killed and he starts adventuring towards the east by himself ... an elf of 15 winters. Than in 1344 (aged 44, so not even a teenager by elven standards) he retires from adventuring. Has there been a mistake in the years, or was it his father Filvendor who retired to Daggerford at that time and Filarion is the one lost in the inner sea lands and undetectable by divination magic?"

Ed saith:

1. Yes, temples to Eilistraee in the High Moor would still be above ground, and located where there are plentiful trees. Which, on the moor, tends to be in the relatively few large ravines that cut down into the rock below the windswept "surface" of the moor. Note that such a temple is really a dancing-place (open grove) more than a building.

2. Important barbarians (leaders and war-captains) bear, and are handed down, large "real" two-handed swords of fine make, some of them so long that when stood vertically, they are almost the height of an average barbarian. Which means only rare individuals are large and strong enough to actually wield them in battle, as opposed to using them for ceremonial or justice purposes. So, yes, the huge blades that can be windmilled to lift their wielder off his or her feet and carry them in this or that direction, rather than hand-and-a-half "bastard" swords. (The term "claymore," by the way, has ended up being applied to everything from long knives with basket hilts up to two-handed boar swords, and so is so broad as to be nigh-useless; it's like saying "pop music" and discovering that a classical music conductor uses that term to mean rock, jazz, country & western, Gilbert & Sullivan light opera, punk, r & b, hip hop, and rap.)

So saith Ed. Whew, the Realmslore coming thick and fast all of a sudden. Guess he's between novels...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  20:12:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And I'm back yet again, fellow scribes. This time to bring you Ed's reply to xaeyruudh, re. this: "Were there any changes to Ahghairon's tower, as a result of either the Spellplague or the intervening years? Is it still impenetrable as of 1490 DR? NDA?"

Ed says:

Yes, there were. NDA, I'm afraid. Yes, it's still impenetrable to almost everyone (i.e. the exceptions are VERY special, and for a VERY few individuals; specifics still NDA, I'm afraid). It may receive some coverage in the future, and may not. It depends. On things I can't yet discuss. Bwoohahaha.

Heh. So saith Ed, still teasing us...
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  20:28:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and I just realized I can provide Apprentice with a tiny tidbit more about his question re. members of the Arcane Brotherhood.
In the home Realms campaign, we have met with Ornar of the Claw, and Ed has confirmed he's written some Realmslore about Ornar in the 5e era (that I don't think has appeared anywhere, yet).
In other words, Ornar is still around and active in the Realms.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Dec 2015 20:29:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  20:46:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And another reply from Ed, this one probably the last of today's little flurry, to xaeyruudh, re. this: "I wonder if I could bother Ed for a few words/names. I'm looking to make a few tauric creatures for a revamp of the H1-H4 series (thanks to Shadowsoul for the idea; I'm having fun with it), and they should have appropriate names.
The first is a dwarf matched to a bear, wolverine, or badger... I'm torn. The dwarves are shield dwarves of Hillsafar Hall in the Galena Mountains, circa 1350 DR, and I'm hoping to make these "dwarven centaurs" the respected cavalry of the dwarves' near-surface defenses.
Also a halfling/fox, and a human/white wolf - these dwell in Waukeshire and the Warrenwood, in Bloodstone Pass.
So I'm looking for a dwarven word for a large and fearsome bear or wolverine or badger, which can perhaps be paired with the word for dwarf which THO just recently shared with us...
And hin words for a halfling and a larger-than-normal and particularly clever fox...
And finally Damaran identifiers for themselves and for great white wolves.
If you've already decided what these words are, in the home campaign. If not, that's fine. Thank you very much!"

It looks like the Damarran terms will have to wait, but here's Ed on everything else:

In Luiric:
“duthsnout” is a badger
“glarmawl” is a wolverine
“gluth” is a glutton or ravenous
“harlhar” is aggressive, spoiling for a fight, or “out-of-control enraged”
“hin” is “a halfling” or “one of us” or “good folk”
“lauly” (pronounced “law-lee”) is fat
“luth” is big or larger than normal
“oroth” is a large and fierce bear
“rennard” is a fox

Right. A little hin vocabulary for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  22:55:11  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Thank you for answering my question about Fflar and Ilsevele! That's interesting.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  09:00:46  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Here's Ed:
The last we saw of Ilsevele and Fflar, they had made it to Semberholme from the "last battle" in the heart of Myth Drannor. They ARE still leading the refugees, and are once again adopting a low-public-profile for "their" elves, in this part of the world, for the time being. In other words, NOT openly challenging humans or anyone else for territory, and devoting themselves to rebuilding families and daily jobs and prosperity, settling the elves into a stable society once more. And establishing frequent and secure routes of trade and communication between Semberholme, Tangletrees, Evereska, and other elf communities...including a "secret" small one that dwells in the heart of Myth Drannor, clustered around some of the tomb-tunnels and baelnorn. Much of the surrounding forest is still wild/ruined/monster-roamed, and the elves are leaving it that way, "roving" and patrolling rather than rebuffing intruders with set borders and a "this land is ours" mentality...because they see that as a mistake, and am embracing of human ways rather than living in more harmony with the land (i.e. the elven way). Yes, they guard the Tree of Souls as "ours" and keep anyone with fire (and all goblinkin [orcs, hobgoblins, goblins, etc.]) away from it...and yes, "slips" from the Tree have been secretly taken and replanted in Semberholme, Evereska, and Tangletrees, so the Tree can be "moved" by magical means in future, if need be.
On a daily basis, Fflar is reorganizing and training a militia and self-reliant local patrols, establishing esprit de corps and personal connections so trust will rise and lead to cooperation when NEXT the elves have to work together in battle, or fall. Ilsevele is doing the same "building relationships" work among elders and families, encouraging family ties through intermarriages between powerful families, and cooperative "projects" that get rivals and longtime opposite sides in feuds working together and deepening friendships.

Dear THO & Ed, thanks a lot for this update. Ilsevele & Fflar are two of my favourite Realms characters, so I hope we hear more about them in future FR publications.

Here's an additional question about the (latest) fall of Myth Drannor; did Edraele Muirreste survive? I liked her also from the Last Mythal series.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  10:36:18  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed, scribes and fans.

I'm a french fan of the Realms, and I've been running a Waterdhevian campaign for the last 3 and a half years and as you know last month our beloved Ed has DMing a D&D adventure in the City of Splendors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG8SKANyTPA

Has anyone already began to adapt that D&D live on paper ?

I would love to have this on sheets to DM it properly. I've tried myself to write from the video but my earing of your language is not sufficient to fully understand the room descriptions, etc... I'm waisting a lot of time hearing some parts again and again without full comprehension.

Could someone do this adaptation or has done it already ? Maybe Ed can reveal some of the mystery remaining in certain rooms untouched by adventurers of the D&D session ?

And then I'd translate it in french to DMing it and share it for the french fans of the Realms.

Cheers,

Volo (the fake one)

Edited by - Marco Volo on 30 Dec 2015 10:37:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  18:12:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. A few quick responses from Ed:

BenN, Ed tells me Edraele Muirreste did survive.

Marco Volo, there have been a lot of requests for A DARKNESS IN NORTH WARD. The characters played are the same ones Ed created (with illustrations, yet!) and has been using (with tiny tweaks) since the advent of 2nd Edition, at many, many GenCons, and he obtained permission from TSR back then to reproduce them as often as necessary for players...so there are many copies out there (a lot of players want Ed to autograph them as a keepsake, when the play session ends). The adventure, however, is trickier: it would require WotC permission for Ed to "publish" anywhere (web or private e-distribution or print). Ed has asked, but those wheels turn VERY slowly; don't hold your breath. Sorry.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  20:35:18  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message
Thanx a lot THO and also to Ed for the very prompt response.

As for 3. I found a solution that fits me: I'll make Filarion's mum Elsarassa a half-elf (making her 100 years younger). That way, Filarion himself will end up half-elven too which will totally fit with the given years... and there's already an idea forming in my head as to who was behind Elsarassa's death ... no, it was not Elorfindar, although many tracks will lead to him ;)

brgds
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2015 :  02:13:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Owesstaer

Thanx a lot THO and also to Ed for the very prompt response.

As for 3. I found a solution that fits me: I'll make Filarion's mum Elsarassa a half-elf (making her 100 years younger). That way, Filarion himself will end up half-elven too which will totally fit with the given years... and there's already an idea forming in my head as to who was behind Elsarassa's death ... no, it was not Elorfindar, although many tracks will lead to him ;)

brgds

Elves reach physical maturity at 25, so whilst Filarion was still a "youth" at 15 it is conceivable that he was a child adventurer. I've seen him statted up in 3E as a spellthief 9 (from the Complete Adventurer book) and so he may have been a little sneak thief - just like a guy called Artemis Entreri.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2015 :  02:48:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

From the most excellent book Dwarves Deep, I wonder if more could be said about The Chasmleap Bridge that spans The Long Chasm in the Northdark?

Thank you both. :)
Go to Top of Page

Stealthwhisper
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2015 :  15:23:58  Show Profile Send Stealthwhisper a Private Message
Greetings great sages!

I am about to DM Out of The Abyss for my friends, and one of them made a wizard diviner studding in Waterdeep. Thing is, we are building his history now, and we want to know how the return of Mystra should have impact his studies as a mage apprentice (the time before 1st level). He probably started learning before the return of the Weave and in the middle of his studies, like 5-6 years in, Mystra returned. What did he felt? What other wizards around him felt? did they just pulled all the old dusty spellbooks from before the Spellplague and continued as if nothing happened?

Also, many deities, returned to the world, some disappeared for very long time, like Myrkul. I don't know how to incorporate this in my game. I mean, Talos (who was Gruumsh for 100 years), is back, but what about his church? his worshipers? same goes for other deities who came back. I don't know, as a DM, how to describe this to the players, and how to incorporate the returning faiths in the world, are they rare? is it the same as before the Spellplague?

Thank you very much for your time,

Stealthwhisper

"I can teach you how to use your wrath. You can control the taint, direct it, summon it at will. You can become the Slayer at will and become the weapon of murder that you were meant to be! So think of me. Think of how I destroyed your precious Gorion, how I plundered the lives of your Candlekeep. Summon your rage, stir the depths of your black heart! Summon wrath. Summon wrath and become it, for if you cannot, then you are not worthy of Bhaal's blood. It should have been I. It should have been I! ATTACK ME, WORM, IF YOU DARE!!!"

Edited by - Stealthwhisper on 31 Dec 2015 15:26:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2015 :  15:36:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Well met

Could I please ask that my fellow scribes refrain from posting any more requests for lore to Ed and THO as this scroll will soon be sealed [this then allows both myself and THO to better synchronise the crossover into the upcoming 2016 scroll]? You may soon resume your requests in the 2016 scroll which I will open shortly.

Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2015 :  16:04:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And with that being the case, and since Australia has now entered 2016, please be aware that this scroll will now be closing, with Ed's Realmslore answers and The Hooded One's grace and charm starting fresh in a new scroll for 2016.

Casts Seal Scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000