Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elminster's Daughter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  15:13:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

And, having finished my reading of the novel in one of my fabled "between dinner and dawn" cover to cover readings, I can now reveal my delight in the storytelling, the happenings in Cormyr, and the surprises for even those of us who know the Forest Kingdom quite well-even those of us who aren't saluted and thanked as "lords of lore." ;)

Well said and good point. The book's jacket and cover may put this new novel as part of the Elminster series. However, it feels much more, to me at least, as belonging to the Cormyr series. Elminster is in it, but not as much as one might suspect.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  15:29:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ed's novels are the only ones I ever buy in hardcover (because I can't wait to get at the contents). At AU$70 I always wince at the cash register but forget the pain after a few pages.

-- George Krashos

I couldn't agree with you more George. Other than the WotSQ series, my only FR hardbacks are the Elminster books. I never consider the price though, afterall, it's Ed Greenwood...

Does anyone have a potential release data in Australia for Ed's new work?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  02:47:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

even those of us who aren't saluted and thanked as "lords of lore." ;)

Well, if I had my way Garen we'd all be thanked as "lords of lore" but you're certainly one in my book. I know what you (as you and part of we) have done for Cormyr. In the right time and place, I'm sure it won't be forgotten.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  21:06:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Garen Thal, I send these words from Ed of the Greenwood:

Re. Ildool: beautiful. The old NDA problem prevents me from saying much more than this: Yes, I echo George: consider your explanation official (unless or until an in-print WotC source contradicts it). A certain soon-to-be-published project might well do just that, but I think you’ve earned the title “Lore Lord of the Realms” anyway. So, attend, gentles all, whilst I hereby bestow, for not just this matter but for the many insightful posts that precede it and may be viewed here at Candlekeep . . .
Arise, Lord Garen Thal. And, hey, thanks for the kind words about the novel, too. :}

So saith Ed. Congrats, Garen Thal! If you’re in Marsember, look for me in The Leaping Eel. I’m the dancer in the painting right at the end of the bar. The one wearing the high boots and, er, the smile. Sorta like this one:
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  02:24:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Congrats, Garen Thal! If you’re in Marsember, look for me in The Leaping Eel. I’m the dancer in the painting right at the end of the bar. The one wearing the high boots and, er, the smile. Sorta like this one:
THO

Thigh high or knee high boots? Where's a good artist when you need one?

And hey, who said you could come out of Ed Greenwood's thread?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  02:35:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thigh high.
And yes, I did sneak out of that thread. Naughty of me.
So you can punish me...if you can catch me on a rooftop. I'll be wearing...my hood.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  04:37:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thigh high.

The higher the better perhaps.

quote:

And yes, I did sneak out of that thread. Naughty of me.
So you can punish me...if you can catch me on a rooftop. I'll be wearing...my hood.

Channeling some skills of Narnra from Elminster's Daughter. Alas, the title character is proving quite a handful to many as I near the novel's conclusion. Eighty pages from the end and I can't figure out how everything is going to be wrapped up. There is quite a bit going on in this novel.

Only wearing a hood? If so I am in the position of wishing I had greater dexterity to chase. Alas, all I have is a healthy stamina.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  16:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Re. Ildool: beautiful. The old NDA problem prevents me from saying much more than this: Yes, I echo George: consider your explanation official (unless or until an in-print WotC source contradicts it). A certain soon-to-be-published project might well do just that, but I think you’ve earned the title “Lore Lord of the Realms” anyway. So, attend, gentles all, whilst I hereby bestow, for not just this matter but for the many insightful posts that precede it and may be viewed here at Candlekeep . . .
Arise, Lord Garen Thal. And, hey, thanks for the kind words about the novel, too. :}

So saith Ed. Congrats, Garen Thal! If you’re in Marsember, look for me in The Leaping Eel. I’m the dancer in the painting right at the end of the bar. The one wearing the high boots and, er, the smile.
I must admit: I don't rightly know what to say. It's been years since anyone called me "Lord Garen"-a far longer story than I'd care to relate here-and having Ed do it just feels a bit silly. I suppose I'll have to get back to forging even more lore, as Our Sage of the Greenwood just keeps writing (and, as a self-appointed lore-lord of Cormyr, I'm constantly playing catch-up with the man). In the meantime, here is a little treat for for our friends out there, based on a passage from FRCS3E.

Now that that piece of artwork is out of the way, I simply must learn how to properly paint a proper smile...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  16:54:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the meantime, here is a little treat for for our friends out there, based on a passage from FRCS3E.

Note: It seems that Angelfire is being evil with regards to that link (which I've encountered before). So 'twill be necessary to copy the link below and paste it into thy address bar.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/garen/Cormyr/WUS2.jpg

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 May 2004 16:55:16
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  17:10:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Note: It seems that Angelfire is being evil with regards to that link (which I've encountered before). So 'twill be necessary to copy the link below and paste it into thy address bar.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/garen/Cormyr/WUS2.jpg

Thanks for the help accessing the image Wooly.

Looks great Garen Thal.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  17:12:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC has posted a screensaver for this novel:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/elminstersdaughterss

Patience if you have trouble accessing it. It's already gone down once since I first saw it mentioned on ENWorld.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  18:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, thanks to you, O Wooly One. Yes, Angelfire tends not to like direct image sharing (a problem I'd forgotten about), so I've decided to remedy everyone's headaches by constructing a little webapge for the file, complete with the appropriate quote. The whole mess can be found here.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  16:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my friends (not a Realms fan or gamer, but reads a lot of fantasy and sf) asked me if she should buy ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER, and I said yes. While we were discussing it, I came up with the reason I think this book works so well: people who know nothing about the Realms can enjoy it as a fun romp with lots of character smartass word-slinging as well as fights, and those of us who're Realms fans can REALLY dig all the new lore about people we know, as well as the new faces. Ed's managed that tightrope walk: an 'insider' book that works just as well (tho differently) for non-Realms-fans.
Obviously, one of Ed's best FR novels, if not THE best. El in Hell was way more ambitious, but had flaws. IMHO, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  01:33:44  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if i can ask a quick question about Elminster's Daughter... my copy is still on order but as i'm restarting my Cormyrean home campaign after a longish break i was wondering what news there is from Arabel... does this novel expand anymore on the tiny blurb in the FRCS? Or should i be looking elsewhere for info on how Arabel has been reclaimed, rebuilt/repaired and resettled?

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 18 May 2004 01:35:26
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  02:28:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

I was wondering if i can ask a quick question about Elminster's Daughter... my copy is still on order but as i'm restarting my Cormyrean home campaign after a longish break i was wondering what news there is from Arabel... does this novel expand anymore on the tiny blurb in the FRCS? Or should i be looking elsewhere for info on how Arabel has been reclaimed, rebuilt/repaired and resettled?

Doesn't mention it. :) The only thing dealing with Arabel in the novel is Myrmeen Lhal.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  01:57:15  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess this is gonna contain SPOILERS, so don't read on if you don't wanna know stuff...

i was wondering if Vangey will still roam Cormyr as a meddling mage at the end of this book? it seems to imply he might just go into more permanent retirement or he'll be unable to appear as he once was... what is everyone else's thoughts on this?

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  02:18:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess this is gonna contain SPOILERS, so don't read on if you don't wanna know stuff...

i was wondering if Vangey will still roam Cormyr as a meddling mage at the end of this book? it seems to imply he might just go into more permanent retirement or he'll be unable to appear as he once was... what is everyone else's thoughts on this?

I thought he would just go in stasis with the other..... Might be wrong....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 20 May 2004 02:19:19
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  02:36:36  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still SPOILERS

Whilst the "other" did state that she'd be willing to go into stasis, in El's solution there's no mention that stasis was necessary. This was an assumption on her part.

The previous idea of Vangey's required it, but this new solution, extending life and vigor as it does, might not need it. It's certainly left open in my mind.

Do you think we should ask Ed? Or should we leave the poor man alone?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  03:06:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still SPOILERS

Whilst the "other" did state that she'd be willing to go into stasis, in El's solution there's no mention that stasis was necessary. This was an assumption on her part.

The previous idea of Vangey's required it, but this new solution, extending life and vigor as it does, might not need it. It's certainly left open in my mind.

Think we should leave him be at the moment since we bombarded him with questions. :) But now that you mention that, you are right it was assumed.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  03:32:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You'll probably get one of those cryptic type author answers.

"Why Gerath Hoan, as for Vangey going into statis...well, let's just see if events coming soon to Cormyr even allow him such a choice."

Or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  16:02:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why, Sirius, how perceptive. :}
That's EXACTLY what Ed said. However, he also added: "My intent was and is that Vangey and the 'other' have gone into stasis already. I'd shift to the other answer for the same reason I always make such shifts: as the Realms is a shared world, I try to promote maximum play possibilities ...and have no idea what another Realms fiction author will want to do with the characters in the future."

So there you all are. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  16:35:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why, Sirius, how perceptive. :}
That's EXACTLY what Ed said.

Can I call them or wht?

quote:

However, he also added: "My intent was and is that Vangey and the 'other' have gone into stasis already. I'd shift to the other answer for the same reason I always make such shifts: as the Realms is a shared world, I try to promote maximum play possibilities ...and have no idea what another Realms fiction author will want to do with the characters in the future."

Sniff...typical guy, run off to stasis to avoid the teen years for Azoun V and someone else.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  18:13:27  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Lady Hooded One!

Hmmm *rubs beard*... shall i continue using Vangey as a wild card around Cormyr or not?

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  08:49:13  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Sniff...typical guy, run off to stasis to avoid the teen years for Azoun V and someone else.

Think of it as a gift to Caladnei. It shows that he trusts her to handle things in his absence. I'm sure, given his background, it was very hard for Vangey to back off his "pet project", Cormyr.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 21 May 2004 08:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  22:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just recently completed the Elminster's Daughter and I must say this one of the most enjoyable books Ed has written so far. Plenty of funny and intriguing situations, interesting characters, both good and evil. Ed seems to have a talent of making the villains detailed, either you despise them or like them in some way.
Ending was very satisfying. Things ended on proper note and still left things conveniently open.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  00:09:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril
Things ended on proper note and still left things conveniently open.

Yes, the future for those involved and the nation of Cormyr is open to many possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  03:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose it is only a matter of time before someone posts a prestige class for "Child of Elminster".

Of course, it now leaves everyone asking, "Who ELSE is a Child of El?" Who knows, maybe it'd be easier to ask, "Who ISN'T a Child of El?" Hmm, maybe his kids all become Harpers? Maybe all the Harpers are his kids? I can see it now:

"So, you wanna be a Harper? Al you gotta be is a devoted follower of good. AND one of Elminster's children. But don't worry. The man's like 1,500 years old. CHances are, you are and don't even know it!"

So many plotlines, so little time...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  03:52:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius
Of course, it now leaves everyone asking, "Who ELSE is a Child of El?"

Well, the end of the novel did give us more insight on the answer to that question.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  17:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first amazon.com 'review' of Elminster's Daughter is a good demonstration of what's wrong with amazon.com 'reviews' -- though perhaps it might be helpful to other people who don't like the author's books but still buy them in hardback. He hits some of the usual bases for the medium, such as using the word 'boring', which means 'I was bored' and so is not criticism but autobiography, but he neglects to say he couldn't finish the book (he does manage this in a review of The Crimson Gold; ever seen a film review with 'I walked out after 20 minutes'?). And dubious subjective information presented as fact: he found it 'kinda slow' (I wished it would halt its breakneck rush), and somehow thought Narnra's was a secondary plotline.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  18:36:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I finished reading the book yesterday (and I need to get it back to the library today!).

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. It was easily the best Greenwood book I've read.

However... There were a few elements I didn't like.

***SPOILERS***

The mind-ream with Caladnei and Narnra. I can see wanting to ensure the loyalty of a prospective agent. However, I'm not sure that sharing memories is the best way to do it... And even if it is, it brought to mind when Elminster's memories were being rummaged thru in Elminster in Hell -- and I thoroughly disliked that book.

The rescue of baby Azoun V. Uh, when did this happen? He was kidnapped, and then he suddenly turns up safe? Nani?

Ditto for El realizing Narnra was his daughter...

Vangerdahast and Myrmeen. I just didn't see them winding up in bed together. That didn't work for me, since it kinda came out of left field.

El's other kids. Uh, all three of them? That's pushing the bounds of believability a bit much. Two, yes, but all three of them? Too pat for me.
I mean, I can see him having a lot of kids, and ditto for many of the other Chosen. It's just that finding out the Queen of Cormyr and one of the highest-ranking War Wizards were both his daughters was a bit much. Had it been Laspeera, Narnra, and someone a bit further back in Filfaeril's lineage, I coulda bought that one a lot easier. I woulda preferred it even more if Filfaeril hadn't been related to him at all, though.

What I did like:

Glarasteer chasing Narnra thru Marsember. That was a great chase sequence, and added some nice flavor to Marsember.

The Rightful Conspiracy. That one just worked for me, quite nicely.

Lady Joysil. I liked her character. The revelation that she was Narnra's mom failed to surprise me, though -- I saw that one coming as soon as it was revealed she was a song dragon. It just made too much sense.

So I liked it and will read it again, far mor readily than most of his other stuff.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000