Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Glacier's Edge coming later this year
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2022 :  21:51:00  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Which is why I laugh when fans talk about a Drizzt movie. Never going to happen. Ever.

-- George Krashos

I've been saying that since around 2000, myself. I've gotten so tired of all the fanbois screaming about how it would be an automatic blockbuster and not problematic at all that I've simply given up on trying to say anything about it.

I would love an animated series set in the realms, not about Drizzt, but some original character. Hell, it could be about different characters every episode and even have established characters join in at times or just mention them. With good writers I think it would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2022 :  22:04:59  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erikor

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Which is why I laugh when fans talk about a Drizzt movie. Never going to happen. Ever.

-- George Krashos

I've been saying that since around 2000, myself. I've gotten so tired of all the fanbois screaming about how it would be an automatic blockbuster and not problematic at all that I've simply given up on trying to say anything about it.

I would love an animated series set in the realms, not about Drizzt, but some original character. Hell, it could be about different characters every episode and even have established characters join in at times or just mention them. With good writers I think it would be great.

If they choose to use established characters it could be the early days of Storm's or Dove's adventures. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2022 :  18:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admit, I assumed Drow had purple skin for a long time.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2022 :  04:37:28  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading this Novel - that I liked a lot- does anyone have a theory on what Pikel is?

I'm trying to explain to myself how he seems to have an affinity and channel the power of multiple nature deities.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2022 :  05:26:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

After reading this Novel - that I liked a lot- does anyone have a theory on what Pikel is?

I'm trying to explain to myself how he seems to have an affinity and channel the power of multiple nature deities.

He's been statted as a dwarven fighter/druid, at least once.

And though I've always pronounced his name "Pie-kull" myself, I've read that he was created to prove the author could name a character "Pickle"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2022 :  06:56:47  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And though I've always pronounced his name "Pie-kull" myself, I've read that he was created to prove the author could name a character "Pickle"

With some of his feats its seem like he's some sort of Chosen - of all the nature gods...very interesting little character...
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2022 :  21:19:46  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

With some of his feats its seem like he's some sort of Chosen - of all the nature gods...very interesting little character...

I really like the Bouldershoulder brothers. Pikel is very interesting as you said. And even though Ivan is more like a standard dwarf their talks and interactions have made me chuckle several times.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2022 :  04:47:36  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really like the Bouldershoulder brothers. Pikel is very interesting as you said. And even though Ivan is more like a standard dwarf their talks and interactions have made me chuckle several times.

Indeed. If the Companions are the "Avengers" of the realms, the Cleric's Quartet is surely the Fantastic Four. I really miss them....
Danica's probably long dead by now? And Cadderly....is still fighting the Ghost King somewhere off in limbo?
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2022 :  04:21:45  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed. If the Companions are the "Avengers" of the realms, the Cleric's Quartet is surely the Fantastic Four. I really miss them....
Danica's probably long dead by now? And Cadderly....is still fighting the Ghost King somewhere off in limbo?

Cadderly's still walking around his ward. I haven't read anywhere that he was freed from his eternal task.
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2022 :  04:41:19  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cadderly's still walking around his ward. I haven't read anywhere that he was freed from his eternal task.

But this could be interesting. What if, in the next book, Cadderly somehow returns? I don't know if Deneir is back as a deity but if Cadderly still have his powers, he and Pikel could be quite formidable together.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2022 :  10:01:17  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But this could be interesting. What if, in the next book, Cadderly somehow returns? I don't know if Deneir is back as a deity but if Cadderly still have his powers, he and Pikel could be quite formidable together.

Cadderly is a darn near Demi God I think...wonder if that makes him off limits....Would love if RA resumed that series.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2022 :  15:04:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've long wondered if the Cleric Quintet was RAS trying to move away from Lord Ginsu... If it was, it obviously didn't work.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2022 :  02:23:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denier is indeed back as a deity, at least from my understanding. Most of the deities are.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2022 :  21:58:42  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Denier is indeed back as a deity, at least from my understanding. Most of the deities are.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. It would be cool if Pikel and a returned Cadderly went up against the Slaad lord though. And there's a whole new story there: Cadderly trying to adapt to the world after the spellplague and after losing Danica. Maybe he meets his grandkids. But enough of my thoughts, we'll just have to wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2022 :  23:41:56  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks, I wasn't sure. It would be cool if Pikel and a returned Cadderly went up against the Slaad lord though. And there's a whole new story there: Cadderly trying to adapt to the world after the spellplague and after losing Danica. Maybe he meets his grandkids. But enough of my thoughts, we'll just have to wait and see.

I know Dwarves are long lived but Ivan and Pikel didn't benefit from being resurrected. They should both be ready to keel over soon...no?
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  00:34:19  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I know Dwarves are long lived but Ivan and Pikel didn't benefit from being resurrected. They should both be ready to keel over soon...no?

It's mentioned in the books that Ivan is old. Pikel is younger. But I don't know how old Ivan is. He felt old because of his life as a guard was boring. I can't remember the details. Someone else who knows more can probably give more information.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2022 :  04:26:19  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted the next section of my review: https://archiveofourown.org/works/40921692/chapters/105283080

Been busy with work, so haven't been able to update on my original schedule.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2022 :  05:26:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

I posted the next section of my review: https://archiveofourown.org/works/40921692/chapters/105283080

Been busy with work, so haven't been able to update on my original schedule.

Heh, and I see my long-ago experiment with an RAS book and GI Joe figures got mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2022 :  17:35:02  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Heh, and I see my long-ago experiment with an RAS book and GI Joe figures got mentioned.

It was so poignant that I just had to include it.
Go to Top of Page

Erikor
Seeker

Norway
60 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2022 :  03:15:26  Show Profile Send Erikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It was so poignant that I just had to include it.

This one made me laugh:
Silent, precise and deadly as a great horned owl diving for its prey is more the vibe of the Hunter, not some unintelligent crustacean that’s pretty far down multiple food chains.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  02:24:38  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've posted the next section of my review, this one focuses on subpar characterizations. https://archiveofourown.org/works/40921692/chapters/107744805
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  06:34:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. Editing always was bad there, but eventually went so far down the drain, it's not even funny.
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I admit, I assumed Drow had purple skin for a long time.

IIRC Dan Shive openly confessed that early on he painted a character with blue-black hair because drawing proper black in such a way that it would not look like spilled ink required quite a lot of practice.
The reasonable assumption is that we see the same newbie problem. The more experienced an artist was, the less drow resembled cephalopods who died of frostbite.
When it happens in fan art or a webcomic, well, not unexpected. When a supposedly "serious" corporation publishes this, that's their touching attention to quality shows again.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 08 Nov 2022 08:26:46
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  20:39:54  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, there's some really ridiculous nitpicking going on in this topic.

Glacier's Edge was a fun book, not spectacular, but some people in this topic apparently read the book more interested in finding problems (or creating them).

It's kind of baffling seeing people complaining about one of the most prolific authors of the Forgotten Realms creating lore.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  21:11:24  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really wish that there was a block function on this site so that we don't have to look at trash from slavering fanbois who try to police the thoughts and actions of others.

Edited by - sno4wy on 08 Nov 2022 21:11:48
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  21:44:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Wow, there's some really ridiculous nitpicking going on in this topic.

Glacier's Edge was a fun book, not spectacular, but some people in this topic apparently read the book more interested in finding problems (or creating them).

It's kind of baffling seeing people complaining about one of the most prolific authors of the Forgotten Realms creating lore.

If you cared to address people's points, rather than making a blanket judgment about them and backing it with absolutely nothing, maybe you could be taken seriously.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 08 Nov 2022 21:46:09
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  22:08:28  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Said proflic author continually ignores established lore (which is fine at the table, but less fine when you're publishing canonical novels and are, at this point basically representing the Realms), projects some long held bitterness into his work, and still adheres to some toxic tropes, despite his statements to the contrary.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 08 Nov 2022 22:13:30
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  00:09:02  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And besides, Ed's the most prolific Realms creator anyway. He's creating new Realmslore constantly on his Twitter, and his contract with WotC stipulates that anything he says is canon as long as WotC doesn't publish otherwise, and I highly doubt they have either the time or the interest in overruling many of his region/culture-specific things. :P

Edited by - sno4wy on 09 Nov 2022 00:11:17
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  00:51:24  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there were some pretty good criticisms pointed out here. Personally I did find this book more enjoyable than the last, though I didn't find it to be that great either. And wow, I was even surprised RAS deigned to invoke the name of Eilistraee as a patron of a particular character. Heh, though he didn't really delve into it much at all, but at least he's not completely pretending Eilistraee doesn't exist.

I would have liked this story more if Drizzt wasn't in it though. The guy hasn't had character development for decades, and it's a bit irritating reading about someone who can do no wrong, nor can't ever lose.

Also, personally the developments in Menzoberranzan are not great imo, as every sign seems to indicate that it will radically change within the next books. Say what you will of Lolth, but I find it hard to imagine that RAS will succeed at all in making it an interesting place without worship of the Spider Queen. Not to mention this is a quite iconic part of the Realms. And it is quite jarring seeing the Baenre and long established characters like Quenthel just completely nonchalantly throwing away the worship of Lolth, as if it were a fabric of clothing.

Edited by - deserk on 09 Nov 2022 01:14:11
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  09:39:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Also, personally the developments in Menzoberranzan are not great imo, as every sign seems to indicate that it will radically change within the next books. Say what you will of Lolth, but I find it hard to imagine that RAS will succeed at all in making it an interesting place without worship of the Spider Queen. Not to mention this is a quite iconic part of the Realms. And it is quite jarring seeing the Baenre and long established characters like Quenthel just completely nonchalantly throwing away the worship of Lolth, as if it were a fabric of clothing.

This. They have only known her worship for generations. She's sent manifestations there. They know she is real and to be feared. But now we can nonchalantly just shrug our shoulders and move on. The houses lower down on the power rung, Fey-Branche and Tuin'tarl, would be licking their lips and promising Lolth everything for her favour in hopes of gaining greater power.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Nov 2022 09:40:29
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  10:40:54  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really wish that there was a block function on this site so that we don't have to look at trash from slavering fanbois who try to police the thoughts and actions of others.

Sorry that I disturbed your little echo chamber.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000