Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Anyone done this before
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  00:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im thinking of running my Banites on the March Campaign 3 times with different partys from 3 different angles

The CG/CN Dalelands party (Which is the current party)

The Evil zhentarim Party

The LG/LN/NG Cormyian Party

I got the idea from the Half Life series of PC games where you play through the same series events from a different angle (in the game you play the game as a Scientist, a Marine and Security guard)the different partys wont play the same modules but they will hear of the actions of the other partys.

Anyone ever done this before?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  01:33:03  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well I haven't played it like that. Alltough I have played with the idea to do it. Loved the halflife version of it all.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:06:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never done that as a DM (never DM'ed), but I have enjoyed seeing authors revisit scenes from the perspective of another character. I think Anne McCaffrey did it a couple times in the Dragonriders books... And I loved seeing Pug/Milamber destroying the Imperial Games from both his view, and from the view of one of the nobles attending the games (the Riftway books).

So I would personally enjoy playing thru something like you suggest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 May 2004 03:07:20
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im thinking of running my Banites on the March Campaign 3 times with different partys from 3 different angles

The CG/CN Dalelands party (Which is the current party)

The Evil zhentarim Party

The LG/LN/NG Cormyian Party

I got the idea from the Half Life series of PC games where you play through the same series events from a different angle (in the game you play the game as a Scientist, a Marine and Security guard)the different partys wont play the same modules but they will hear of the actions of the other partys.

Anyone ever done this before?

Now that you mention it....
Done? No. But planning it - and with another DM. "Thankfully" the other DM doesn't have a full roster of players yet, because the interlinked campaigns go something like this:
1) One 'historical' Campaign, start circa 1014, central Vilhon Reach area
2) Two concurrent "Current time" campaigns, one set in Cormyr (the other DM's) and one set in Vilhon/Turmish/Dragon Coast area.
Both the later campaigns will take into account the actions, aftermaths, and repercussions of the first. I don't know how it will turn out, but should be interesting.

Lysander
Go to Top of Page

Sachiel
Acolyte

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Sachiel's Homepage Send Sachiel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have run a campaign much like this. In fact, it was a d20 Modern game based on the ideas Dargoth presented from Half Life. I ran the campaign along a timeline of events, similar to how they occured in the game. Each campaign was run once, but every time a different party was used. The first consisted of a smart hero party (representative of the scientist), the second party was a completely marine-based class unit (developed from the tough hero, and representative of the marine character in the game), and the final campaign was never run unfortunately, mainly due to the release of Urban Arcana.

I won't bother going over the general plot of the adventures since you're already familiar with the plot of the game itself.

"Maybe all those people who think me a fool are onto something."
-- Danilo Thann, "Elfshadow"
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:35:41  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done similar things. Just be careful, the natural inclinations of players will be to find the other party and kill them.

My best multiple thread adventure game revolved around troll ball, a sporting event in runequest (Bloodbowl for Warhammer was a derivative game). It was designed for a three day runequest convention. Day 1 included two different parties representing the two teams running through their own adventures. Day 2 the troll ball match. Day 3 was a LARP to resolve the various problems that arose from day 2. So it was very interesting, three different gaming systems (rpg, strategy, larp) all revolving around a single plotline.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  07:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sachiel

I have run a campaign much like this. In fact, it was a d20 Modern game based on the ideas Dargoth presented from Half Life. I ran the campaign along a timeline of events, similar to how they occured in the game. Each campaign was run once, but every time a different party was used. The first consisted of a smart hero party (representative of the scientist), the second party was a completely marine-based class unit (developed from the tough hero, and representative of the marine character in the game), and the final campaign was never run unfortunately, mainly due to the release of Urban Arcana.

I won't bother going over the general plot of the adventures since you're already familiar with the plot of the game itself.

Well, I don't know about Dargoth or the rest of you, but I would like to hear about it. I haven't player Half Life, so I have no idea about the general plot for your campaign.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  07:28:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Half life plot starts with the Main being a Gorden Freeman a scientist at Black Mesa research facility (a massive research facility somewhere in America) anyway the scientists run an experiement involving cross Dimentinal physics but something does wrong and a whole heap of creatures from this other dimention are transported to earth. Basicly you travel throughout the now Alien infest Black Mesa research facility trying to stop the Aliens. Just to keep things interesting you start running into marines who have orders to terminate everyone they find on the site, added to this theres special Black Op guys running around the facility with orders to kill everyone including the marines. By the end of the game you travel across to the other dimention and kill the big bad leader.

In the 2nd scenario you play as Copreral Shepard a Marine Corp soldier who is ordered in along with the rest of his men to repel the Alien invasion at Black Mesa. You travel around killing Aliens and Black op guys who try to kill you. At the end you have to kill a huge Alien who comes through a gate to earth.

The 3rd Scenario is as a security guard at the facility and your basicly trying to escape from Black Mesa with Aliens, Marines and Black Ops guys trying to stop you.

Theres also a mysterous guy called the G-Man who appears throughout all 3 games. Whose ment to be some sort of CIA/NSA agent at the end of the Freemen mission and Shepard mission the G Man locks you away some where. The security guards the only guy who actually escapes from the Facility and the G-man

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  07:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Theres also a mysterous guy called the G-Man who appears throughout all 3 games. Whose ment to be some sort of CIA/NSA agent at the end of the Freemen mission and Shepard mission the G Man locks you away some where. The security guards the only guy who actually escapes from the Facility and the G-man

Not exactly right-we know that the G-Man enlists Gordon, springboarding into Half-Life 2(which should be out sometime this century, in marked contrast to Duke Nukem Forever(Release date: When it's done. When it's the best fps there is. No joke, on my part or theirs.))
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  08:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Not exactly right-we know that the G-Man enlists Gordon, springboarding into Half-Life 2(which should be out sometime this century, in marked contrast to Duke Nukem Forever(Release date: When it's done. When it's the best fps there is. No joke, on my part or theirs.))

According to Journalists out at E3 HL2 will be out in September/October

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  08:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

According to Journalists out at E3 HL2 will be out in September/October

*raises eyebrow* Last I heard, by way of media interview, was that alpha testing is currently going on. They're hoping to make the Christmas season, but there's doubt. I've got more faith in Thief 3 making it out first(near-finished as of E3). Anyway, I was joking. Anyone have any other ideas for something like this? The last two parts of BloodRayne might be worth a try like this.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  15:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've actually never played more than 30 minutes into the actaul HalfLife game itself. But I used to play more that 4 hours a night on TFC. Man, I loved that mod. If HL 2 comes out, I would hope that a Team Fortress mod would be inevitable. I'd start gaming again.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  16:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Ahem I'm not sure this scroll belongs in the library. The Realms-relevence has dropped off somewhat.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  13:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half Life and the Realms go together like onions and ice cream. Probably not a good idea to mention the two in the same paragraph. As to the original question, I don't think I would do that unless I had 3 different groups of players. By the middle of the second campaign there would be so much metagaming that it could get confusing and get lost in the original intent.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  14:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Half Life and the Realms go together like onions and ice cream. Probably not a good idea to mention the two in the same paragraph. As to the original question, I don't think I would do that unless I had 3 different groups of players. By the middle of the second campaign there would be so much metagaming that it could get confusing and get lost in the original intent.

Back on topic...

It could work, if you follow the way HL did things carefully-namely, making resources very scarce, and relying on situation over brute force....
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  15:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Back on topic...

It could work, if you follow the way HL did things carefully-namely, making resources very scarce, and relying on situation over brute force....

hmmm what I meant didnt come across right

A few examples

Party 1 (The CG/CN party) Was drawn into the raiders of Galath Roost module by the Zhentarim raiding Wolcott Manor stealing live stock and Kidnapping some of the locals

Party 2 the evil Zhentarim party will have one of its early missions being the raid on Wolcott manor AS THE RAIDERS. they wont return to the zhent outpost so they werent present when Party 1 cleaned the outpost out.

The next time the Party 1 is back in Ashbenford there going to hear that Scyllua Darkhope has landed in Scardale and is claiming her right as the dales lord. In addition the party will hear the unbelivable news that a Party of Zhentarim and followers of Bane have been seen traveling together with Clerics and Paladins of Torm and Tyr to the Leaves of Learning Temple to Oghma

Party 2 will be that Zhent PArty traveling to the Temple with the Paladins and Clerics

When party 1 gets to Hillsfar they will be seeking to destroy a Glabezu demon that has been summoned by a Demonologist. Just as party one are about to fight the Demon outside the Demonologist tower, the Glabezu will scream out "The Vermin is dead his soul is mine! Now I am free to slaughter the citizen off this city"

Party 2 will alo be in Hillsfar they where ordered by Fzoul to sneak into the city and kill the Demonologist so he couldnt help in the defence of the city.

Party 1 will be doing City of the Spider Queen assuming they survive the module and destroy Kiranshees temple there campaign will end when they reach surface and meet a farmer who tells them a massive battle is taking place in Eastern Mistledale between an Army Daleland soldiers and Cormyian Purple dragons vs an army of Drow and undead. PArty one will not be told the results of the Battle

The 3rd Party of cormyians will have as the climax for there campaign a Massive BAttle in Eastern Mistledale using the Mass comabt rules found in the Minis hand book.

There will also be some cross over between the 2nd evil party and the 3rd Cormyian party

The 3 partys will never meet but as they play the 3 campaigns one after the other they'll see how the events in the 3 campaigns all link together

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000