Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What is Shar doing??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  17:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In "The Sorcerer" it's Shar(I assume) who gets the Karsestone, and she makes a fairly big appearance in "Sands of the Soul". Is something bigger going on? Is Lathander soon to make an appearance also?

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  00:37:31  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.....

Supposedly Lathander is planning another one of those crazy daylight-forever schemes...something about Lathander's Second Dawning....I would imagine that Shar's sudden over-protectiveness for the Shadow Weave is both indicative of her desire to fend off Cyric's encroachments on it, but also a sort of "bulking up" to fend off Lathander's newest attempts.....

See the Faerunian Pantheon guide thingy for more info.....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2002 :  22:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Counselors and Kings series. I guess Shar has been working on this Shadow Weave for quite some time now.
Go to Top of Page

Locced
Acolyte

New Zealand
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2002 :  06:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Locced's Homepage Send Locced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the Shadow Weave began centuries ago with the Imaskiri drawing beings from the Plane of Shadow into their own bodies to control the powers of shadow? What did Shar have to do with this or was that just an author "taking liberties"?
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2002 :  07:53:23  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two 'answers' possible:
Either it's an author's screw-up (not the answer I would go with), or alternatively:

Unbeknownst to the Imaskari, it was Shar subtly guiding and influencing them on the path of shadow. She had been experimenting with an alternitive to her sister's ally Mystra and was looking for a way to thwart both Selune and Mystra. The Imaskari were one of her 'experiments'.
After the 'debacle' Shar laid low for a while, subtly further nurturing her shadow magic and bit-by-bit releasing it into the world through her followers. Now in 1372DR the spread has become so wide that sages ahve taken note of it and have started to mention it in their works.

(Morale: either take things black and white, or give it a twist so a nice story and plausible background develops...)
Go to Top of Page

Locced
Acolyte

New Zealand
6 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2002 :  05:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Locced's Homepage Send Locced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ahhhh, i like the theory. cheers dude
Go to Top of Page

Jeffrey Williams
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2002 :  06:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrey Williams's Homepage Send Jeffrey Williams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unbeknownst to the Imaskari, it was Shar subtly guiding and influencing them on the path of shadow. She had been experimenting with an alternitive to her sister's ally Mystra and was looking for a way to thwart both Selune and Mystra. The Imaskari were one of her 'experiments'.

:::sarcasm::: Oh that explains it. Another God's War/Realms Shattering Event brought to you by the butt-heads at WotC and Hasbro. Whta's next, Crisis on Infinte Torils, A timeslide to re-write history, Elminster is drag. I wish WotC would go back to doing smaller scale stories and not the epic quests that make Tolkin/Lord of the Rings so popular.

Honestly, Does the Realms need anymore "magic" deities (I.E. Azuth, Savras, Malyk, Velsharoon, etc.) The "magic sphere" portifolio idea is starting to beat itself to death.

Geoffrey Mordraith

Geoffrey Mordraith, Sage, Cleric of Helm, Bearer of the Morning Star
devilboy@anv.net
www.bigbluepigeon.blogspot.com
www.thefourthportal.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  09:54:17  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, you forgot to include the various demi-human deities with Magic in their portfolio's.

If one goes back to the 2nd edition Gods books: F&A, P&P and DD, one can find a lot of references to the issues being discussed in 3e Forgotten Realms. Though not everything has been pointed out in black and white, there are several subtle references (and some not so subtle) to for instance the relationship between Selune, Mystra and Shar. What WotC has done, is expand on these references and provided a more or less new item that has been woven into the Forgotten Realms for a long time. I'll concede a point that it has not been done in the finest tradition of subtle weaving (pun intended), but it is not out of league with the Forgotten Realms as a whole.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  12:57:23  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey Mordraith, Sage, Cleric of Helm, Bearer of the Morning Star

• Can anyone explain why Shar and her minions have been able to train and breed shadow mages right under everyone's noses.
  • Why is that it appears in the 3E Forgotten Realms campaign setting and not other editions.
  • Why Mystra can not sense it (even though she is the Goddess of the Weave)
  • Why is a corrupted form of the Weave more powerful then a purified or coherent form of the same magics?

Dear fellow sage, some answers to the questions you posted in another thread.
  • Shar's portfolio deals with secrets. If there is one entity in the Forgotten Realms who should be able to keep things secret, it is our Lady of Loss
  • The Weave and the Shadow Weave as concepts are unique to the Forgotten Realms, that's why they don't appear in Ravenloft, Dragon Lance etc.
  • The Shadow Weave is not part of the Weave, it is not part of Mystra. That's why she cannot 'sense' it the way she can with the Weave.
  • As said elsewhere on this forum, the Shadow Weave is only perceived to be more powerfull because the general population has only vaguely become aware of the Shadow Weave and it's effects. And those spellcasters and sages who have attempted to research it have not discovered all there is to know about the Shadow Weave, therefore it remains a mystery and is perceived as more powerful and dangerous
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000