Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is your Favorite author and book, why?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TwoBit
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  07:28:33  Show Profile  Visit TwoBit's Homepage Send TwoBit a Private Message  Delete Topic
I'm new to fantasy, so I'm looking for some books that would be good reading.

My first book was actually DragonLance, Dargons of Autumn Twilight, I was pobably 12 at the time. I bought it because it was the only book that had a picture of a dragon on the cover, plus my mom was trying to get me to read something, anything at all when I was younger. It set on my shelf and looked good for the better part of four years before I read it. That book was a great series, I thank Marget and Tracy for getting me started. After a few more DragonLance my cousin itroduced me to a character buy the name of Drizzt Do'Urden. After that it was all over I can't get enough of R.A. Salvator.

So I guess you can tell me your first, favorite book and favorite author.

Twobit

B

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  07:50:45  Show Profile
Please use the scrying room to locate previous incarnations of this topic, and respond to them.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  07:55:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Realms-wise, my fave writer is Elaine Cunningham, and her stuff about Arilyn and Danilo Thann.

Second fave would be the duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, with the Finder's Stone trilogy and the Lost Gods books.

Third would be the Drizzt books.

I really like James Lowder and Troy Denning, as well.

Outside of the Realms... My fave non-Realms fantasy author is Raymond E Feist. His Riftwar Saga is incredible, thinks I, and I love all the follow-up books and trilogies. I just read the second book of the Conclave of Shadows, and I loved it. And his kinda dark urban fantasy tale, Faerie Tale, is my all-time favorite book.

Another fave non-Realms writer is Michael Stackpole. He's done some really good stuff in both fantasy and sci-fi.

And you're obviously familiar with Weis and Hickman. I love their Dragonlance stuff. Their Darksword trilogy was great (especially the fourth book), and I love two other series they've written: The Rose of the Prophet trilogy and the Death's Gate Cycle. The latter series starts a bit slow for some, and the third book is downright depressing, but it really starts to pick up towards the end of the fourth book, and it's rocking by the sixth and seventh books.

BTW, those two writers have been known to work in references to some of their stuff in other books. In one of the Star of the Guardians novels (by Weis, writing alone), a character makes a reference to a plant found on the world of the Darksword trilogy. At the end of the Legends trilogy, Tasslehoff Burrfoot finds a map of the same world. And one of the characters in the Death's Gate Cycle is a rather befuddled mage named Zifnab. Zifnab is a lot funnier than Fizban, and makes a lot of extra references. In a fantasy world, he mentions movies, nuclear reactors, Tanis Half-Elven taking a shower in 1948 Berlin, the Millenium Falcon, Pern, Gandalf the Grey, and a certain alliteratively-titled adult film about a woman in one of Texas's major cities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jun 2004 07:57:25
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  08:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message
Ironically I started out with Dragonlance and Weiss and Hickman as well. I made it through the first two trilogies but not much further. I have stuck pretty much to the Realms with the occasional side trek to Ravenloft when they were being published.

In terms of non-D&D fantasy, I like more straightforward stuff. Jennifer Roberson’s Sword Dancer Trilogy was a favorite of mine as well as Elisabeth Moon’s Paksenarrion saga.

My favorites for FR have been the original Icewind Dale Trilogy (but I can only take so much Drizzt and Artemis), Curse of the Azure Bonds, The Sword & Spells saga, and The Rage.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

TwoBit
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  09:43:27  Show Profile  Visit TwoBit's Homepage Send TwoBit a Private Message
I know what you are talking about even though I haven't read the book yet, Wooly. I can remember my cousin telling me about each instant you spoke of. I found and still find that fascinating about Tassleoff and expecially Zifnab. When he told me about that we stayed up all night laughing and talking.

Twobit

B
Go to Top of Page

TwoBit
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  09:47:32  Show Profile  Visit TwoBit's Homepage Send TwoBit a Private Message
Arivia, sorry I didn't notice your post does this mean you will close this thread and that we cannot post here.

Twobit

B
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  11:21:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TwoBit

Arivia, sorry I didn't notice your post does this mean you will close this thread and that we cannot post here.

Twobit

*smiles*

I'm not a mod, TwoBit-Alaundo and Tethtoril are, however.

We just like to keep things organized around here-necroposting, as it is called in other forums, is not frowned upon.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  13:55:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
I'm not a mod, TwoBit-Alaundo and Tethtoril are, however.

Just remember when you become the third moderator, with great power, comes great responsibility.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  14:02:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Realms-wise, my fave writer is Elaine Cunningham, and her stuff about Arilyn and Danilo Thann.

I keep telling people WR has good taste, or is it WR tastes great? Anyway, I agree that Elaine Cunningham, especially when she writes about another EC, is probably my fave author.

quote:

Outside of the Realms... My fave non-Realms fantasy author is Raymond E Feist. His Riftwar Saga is incredible, thinks I, and I love all the follow-up books and trilogies. I just read the second book of the Conclave of Shadows, and I loved it.

Another fine choice. The third book in that series comes out this year from what I hear. I have more Feist books than any other author.

However, outside the Realms, George R.R. Martin stands above anyone else I have ever read with his Song of Ice and Fire series.

quote:

Another fave non-Realms writer is Michael Stackpole. He's done some really good stuff in both fantasy and sci-fi.

And he used to be a writer for an old D&D style game called Tunnels & Trolls. His City of Terrors module does a good job of portraying a Waterdeep/Westgate style city. In fact, anyone who thumbed through this tome could probably get some good ideas for a campaign in either FR city.
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  15:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message
Hail and Welcome TwoBit!

Nay this will not be closed ... but as Arivia suggested, for a grander search of a previously discussed listing of favorites, the scrying room is at the top of the hall on the right.

We try to keep things neat and not repeat overly used scrolls unless necessary. The preference is that you read and revive one of the older scrolls rather than start a new one on the same topic.

Tethtoril

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  15:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Fantasywise, have a look at John Rateliff's "Classics of Fantasy" articles.

Somehow I find objection to posting to 'old threads' deeply wrong. A messageboard is not just a brief, trendy now; it's also a potentially permanently record of a discourse that doesn't cease to exist and that can be continued. When you have the ability to transcend time, it's unwise to throw it away.
Go to Top of Page

TwoBit
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  20:43:37  Show Profile  Visit TwoBit's Homepage Send TwoBit a Private Message
Thank you tethtoril, well met. It brings a smile to these old bones that my travels have brought me to the warmth of your humble inn. When I seek out the scrying chamber is there a search to type in what topic I'm looking for. As with all the land that my travels have brought me to, I respect the way things are done here and will not transgress the social order you like to keep here at Candlekeep.

Twobit

B
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  01:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
I must say that I really liked G.R.R Martin's Songs of Ice and Fire series as well. Really top notch! I'm eagerly anticipating the next book to come out. It's been pushed back and pushed back so many times. I hear that August is when it might come out this time.

Besides that, I like William Gibson. When he started (and then continued) the cyberpunk genre, he was able to make me see it not for the neat toys that sci-fi gives, but the great characters. In an age when modern society and technology seem to drive people apart, there are people who's motives are about yearning for their dreams.

Neal Stephenson has some great concepts in his Snowcrash and The Diamond Age. Personally, I like the latter for an intriguing look at society and culture once natural resources are accesable to all.

I also get a kick from Umberto Eco, especially In the Name of the Rose and Foceau's Pendulem(bad spelling). While he tends to go off in a little too detail on some existential idea, I do really dig his writing.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  01:59:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

I must say that I really liked G.R.R Martin's Songs of Ice and Fire series as well. Really top notch! I'm eagerly anticipating the next book to come out. It's been pushed back and pushed back so many times. I hear that August is when it might come out this time.

Good luck to Martin fans hoping for an August release. But, you do have good taste even if I fear it will be next year before the novel comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  02:53:25  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message
RAS, together with Troy Denning, are my fave FR authors. RAS, because of the way he fleshed out Menzoberranzan and the Drow in general, and no one can really describe a fightscene like he can. Also he has a lot different strings to play on when he's writing. Just look at one of my fave books, Spine of the World. I like it because it's not a book about wicked spellduels and sword dances of death, it's a book about people, normal people. One of RAS' best books, tied in right up there with Servant of Shard, which is quite the contrast to Spine of the World. I like Troy Denning because when I pick up a book by him I know it's gonna change something, be it something worldwide or just some high on his horse important NPC getting killed off. His books offers change to the now

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  17:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Curses!!! It was suppose to come out last Nov or so. I worry that this series will never fully be published. That would make me ill.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  17:47:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

Curses!!! It was suppose to come out last Nov or so. I worry that this series will never fully be published. That would make me ill.

I think next year is much more realistic. The sad thing is, he is my favorite author and the D20 campaign setting for this series won't come out until he completes the book.
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  17:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message
pulls out a bottle and pulls on gloves to seal the scroll

This topic has not only been covered before but it is, and has been for the last day, barely even skirting the Forgotten Realms. I am sealing away this scroll. If you wish to continue discussion please use the scrying chamber (as has been previously advised by both myself and Arivia) to ressurect one of the dustier yet far more topic friendly scrolls.

Tethtoril

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page