Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What do you think about the quintessential books?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2002 :  23:56:35  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've bought some of this books published by Moongoose (quintessential Fighter/Elf/Monk/...)
What do you think about the fighting styles. I'm wondering if i can allow my players to learn some.
Did you ever try to apply these rules?
Thanx

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2002 :  15:59:46  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't checked the quintessential series out, but have seen other products from Mongoose (Guide to Hobgoblins, etc). Aside from some little tidbits of interesting stuff, I was not overly impressed.

The quality of the product is rather mediocre for the genre. Though apadtable to fit into existing settings and games, I felt that too much adapting needed to be done.

Again, I'm not familiar with the quintessential series, but if they're in the same style as the above mentioned products, I'm afraid it's more of unnecessary balast to the game, catering more to powergamers rather then adding (roleplaying)value to the game.

Just my 2cp
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2002 :  18:40:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Quintessential series. The art, layout, information, everything within them was vastly superior in my opinion than the WOTC counterparts. I own Fighter, Rogue, and Elf. Those are the only three that were needed for my campaign. However, I'd recommend the series to a DM or player over anything else that I have seen so far out there.
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  05:33:00  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the first four books in the Quintessential series and I really like them. They are each done by a different author so some are better than others. They remind me of the 2nd complete series of books in that they really help to customize your characters. I have also found Seas of Blood by Mongoose to be great to seafearing adventures.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000