Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lunar Calendar of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  09:03:28  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There has been some question recently as to when exactly the full moons of the Realms calendar fall out, so I've take the liberty of constructing a neat list for everyone. According to FRCS3E, Selϋne is full every 30 days, 10 hours and 30 minutes, beginning with midnight on 1 Hammer 1372. That places the price moments of the full at:

1372 1 Hammer 0:00, Midwinter 10:30, 30 Alturiak 21:00, 1 Tarsakh 7:30, Greengrass 18:00, 1 Kythorn 4:30, 1 Flamerule 15:00, Shieldmeet 1:30, 30 Eleasis 12:00, 30 Eleint 22:30, 30 Marpenoth 9:00, 30 Uktar 19:30, 30 Nightal 16:30

1373 30 Hammer 16:30, 30 Alturiak 3:00, 30 Ches 13:30, Greengrass 0:00, 30 Mirtul 10:30, 30 Kythorn 21:00, Midsummer 7:30, 30 Eleasis 18:00, Highharvestide 4:30, 30 Marpenoth 15:00, Feast of the Moon 1:30, 30 Nightal 12:00

137430 Hammer 22:30, 30 Alturiak 9:00, 30 Ches 19:30, Greengrass 6:00, 30 Mirtul 16:30, 1 Flamerule 3:00, Midsummer 13:30, 1 Eleint 0:00, Highharvestide 10:30, 30 Marpenoth 21:00, Feast of the Moon 7:30, 30 Nightal 18:00

1375 Midwinter 4:30, 30 Alturiak 15:00, 1 Tarsakh 1:30, Greengrass 12:00, 30 Mirtul 22:30, 1 Flamerule 9:00, Midsummer 19:30, 1 Eleint 6:00, Highharvestide 16:30, 1 Uktar 3:00, Feast of the Moon 13:30

30 days, 10 hours and 30 minutes later is 1 Hammer 0:00, the time of the next full moon, and the start of the cycle for calendar year 1376 (which will use the same times as 1372, above).

I hope this helps everyone.
-G

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  13:16:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garen, you have waaaay too much time on your hands!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jerard Doonsay
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  14:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Jerard Doonsay's Homepage Send Jerard Doonsay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I will problably be using this, I am in agreement that you have WAAAAYY too much time on your hands. Get a hobby. *blink blink* *blink*

May history live forever in the writings and stories of those who wish to tell them.

Please come and enjoy my website http://ferien.aribytes.org
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  15:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is neat, but 1340-1371 DR would be neater.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  15:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes, too much time on my hands. Everyone knows that...

As for your suggestion Faraer, the lunar cycle repeats itself every 4 years exactly, so that the cycle for 1372 is the same as it was in 1368, and in 1364, and in 1360, 1356, 1352, 1348, 1344, and 1340, assuming that the Time of Troubles hasn't altered the phases of the moon any. The list would be the same if it began with 1340, ran to 1343, and then referenced one to the beginning again.
Go to Top of Page

xmaxx
Acolyte

France
39 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2015 :  12:33:32  Show Profile Send xmaxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When would be the new moon accordingly?
(One of my PC is an elf Starsinger and his powers are less powerful during the new moon).
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2015 :  20:28:15  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
15 days, 5 hours and 15 minutes later then the above mentioned full moons; when the moon cycle is half way and the full moon has waned into nearly no illumnation and Shar is at her strongest.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

LadyNukshia
Acolyte

Spain
4 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2022 :  08:30:53  Show Profile Send LadyNukshia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another tool to complement the hours you provided https://www.wizards.com/dnd/fc/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2022 :  09:03:48  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LadyNukshia

another tool to complement the hours you provided https://www.wizards.com/dnd/fc/index.htm

Copyright 2005! Finally another old web-tool! I wish I had an index full of these, but I only have the one.
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2022 :  10:22:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, though, WotC skewed the calendar either in 4E or 5E, for reasons.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2022 :  13:53:15  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the effort into the lunar calculations. I could see Faerun's astrologers treating this knowledge as fundamental. Who's up for creating a full ephemeris for all wandering celestial bodies? Any retired/unemployed scribes out there?
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2022 :  14:35:46  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

5E, the close of the Second Sundering:

"The worlds of Abeir and Toril drifted apart in 1487 and 1488 DR. In some places this change was accompanied by cataclysm, while in others the shift went without notice. Astronomers and navigators who closely watched the stars couldn't fail to see that there were nights when they seemed to hang in the sky. The winter of 1487–1488 lasted longer than normal. It was then noted that the solstices and equinoxes had somehow shifted, beginning with the spring equinox falling on Greengrass of 1488 DR. The seasons followed suit, with each starting later and ending later.

This shift in seasons has caused some sages, and the priests of Chauntea, to consider changing the marking of some of the annual feast days, but most folk counsel patience, believing that the seasons will fall back to their previous cycle over the coming years."

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster

Edited by - Eldacar on 15 Mar 2022 14:39:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2022 :  15:26:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

"The worlds of Abeir and Toril drifted apart in 1487 and 1488 DR. In some places this change was accompanied by cataclysm, while in others the shift went without notice. Astronomers and navigators who closely watched the stars couldn't fail to see that there were nights when they seemed to hang in the sky. The winter of 1487–1488 lasted longer than normal. It was then noted that the solstices and equinoxes had somehow shifted, beginning with the spring equinox falling on Greengrass of 1488 DR. The seasons followed suit, with each starting later and ending later.

This shift in seasons has caused some sages, and the priests of Chauntea, to consider changing the marking of some of the annual feast days, but most folk counsel patience, believing that the seasons will fall back to their previous cycle over the coming years."

I simply cannot fathom the reasoning behind doing this, and even if I was inclined to run the 5E Realms, I'd ignore this change.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2022 :  16:54:46  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I simply cannot fathom the reasoning behind doing this, and even if I was inclined to run the 5E Realms, I'd ignore this change.

I think the developers assume that complexity = verisimilitude, so you should always add more. In my own games, though, I prefer simplicity for moon phases, so Selune is always full on the 1st of the month and new on the 16th (and yes, it has come up before).
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2022 :  01:57:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can use this tool:

https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/calendar/

Create the calendar of the FR any way you like.

I lost the one I did for my own campaign; but it kinda falls apart when you throw an extra day in there.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2022 :  02:36:06  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh. I do love playing my 5e games in the squishy time period leading up to the Second Sundering proper.
I get to avoid having to deal with this! XD

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2022 :  08:08:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Brian Cortijo (Garen Thal) wrote this bit. He did it deliberately so as to give an "in" to those wanting to return to the status quo. And yes, the decision was bewildering in the first place.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2022 :  10:51:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:

Brian Cortijo (Garen Thal) wrote this bit. He did it deliberately so as to give an "in" to those wanting to return to the status quo. And yes, the decision was bewildering in the first place.

-- George Krashos

To make sure I'm reading you right... This was his description of and potential fix for the odd decision that was made elsewhere?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2022 :  13:09:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, WotC mandated the calendar change and Brian had to write what they wanted. But lore lord that he is, he gave it a bit of a tweak.

— George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2022 :  13:59:04  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, WotC mandated the calendar change and Brian had to write what they wanted. But lore lord that he is, he gave it a bit of a tweak.

— George Krashos

This was obviously mandated by someone who has no idea how farming works. Farmers count on the seasons behaving in a certain way. Sure, there will be slight variations from year to year but in general they are consistent and can be counted on. You start messing with the normal progression of the seasons, you are going to end up having widespread starvation and famine. You toss in a winter that went on way longer than expected and that will end with people starving either during extended cold because they don't have enough stored food to get through the extra long winter or later as the animals give birth during the cold (instead of the warmer spring) and their offspring dies from exposure. The only way around that is some very heavy divine interventions.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2022 :  14:13:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

— George Krashos

This was obviously mandated by someone who has no idea how farming works.

A lot of changes to the Realms are best explained by being "mandated by someone who has no idea how X works"

The most notable one to me was the changing depth of the Sea of Fallen Stars, in 4E. It went down 50 feet -- and this somehow exposed to air the upper reaches of a city that previously had 300 feet of open water above it. At the same time, this drop in water depth exposed the Sharksbane Wall, which had the effect of cutting off a large portion of the Sea from the rest. And while the impact on trade was mentioned, this would also affect currents, weather, and seasonal migrations of water critters -- and none of that was even mentioned. Lastly, losing 50 feet of water somehow didn't affect any of the coastlines on the maps.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Mar 2022 14:14:49
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2022 :  14:27:21  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

— George Krashos

This was obviously mandated by someone who has no idea how farming works.

A lot of changes to the Realms are best explained by being "mandated by someone who has no idea how X works"

The most notable one to me was the changing depth of the Sea of Fallen Stars, in 4E. It went down 50 feet -- and this somehow exposed to air the upper reaches of a city that previously had 300 feet of open water above it. At the same time, this drop in water depth exposed the Sharksbane Wall, which had the effect of cutting off a large portion of the Sea from the rest. And while the impact on trade was mentioned, this would also affect currents, weather, and seasonal migrations of water critters -- and none of that was even mentioned. Lastly, losing 50 feet of water somehow didn't affect any of the coastlines on the maps.

That is something that is, quite frankly, asinine. A five minute internet search should give enough information about primary and secondary effects. Heck, with the amount of information about climate change being available for 10 years or more, it would have been easy to see if you start messing with the environment, it is going to have all kinds of fallout in other areas.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000