Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Monks of Candlekeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  23:28:26  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Delete Topic
Ed's new Realmslore article includes the line, "others, such as the monks of Candlekeep, hunger for more information about this remote and reclusive island. Scholars," regarding Nimbral.
So, can we call ourselves monks now?

I will have to use the Flying Hunt sometime soon. Nice article!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  23:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message
Have you ever read the Cleric Quintet books by RA Salvatore? They have some info on the monks of Candlekeep who worship Oghma. Very interesting bunch :)

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  01:06:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Is celebacy part of the deal with calling ourselves monks?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  03:06:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

"These men have taken a vow of celibacy, like their fathers and their fathers before them."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  03:57:23  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
I've personally avoided the issue during all my years of FR gaming... I don't think celibacy is required of clerics, monks, paladins, etc. This concept is based on real world religions, and I'm not sure the gods of the Realms would care about that. If a paladin takes a vow of celibacy out of penance or to atone for something, then I would understand, but as far as I know, no Realmsmian god or goddess has said something along the lines of "leave wife and children, leave your possessions, and follow me."
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  04:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message
Most of them say breed as much as you can and teach ALL your offspring to follow me

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  05:07:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
"These men have taken a vow of celibacy, like their fathers and their fathers before them."

Going to frustrate yourself then with the flirting you do here.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  06:39:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Going to frustrate yourself then with the flirting you do here.

Aw, I expected you to catch that movie reference... Going senile, perhaps?

Besides, I never mentioned taking a vow of celibacy myself!

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  06:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Well there is a Vow of Chastity Feat in the BOEDs

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  08:20:41  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Yep... "Dee nat git laid and git yerself some swweeeeeeeeet pawarz!!!"
Bet that's a favorite one at gaming conventions...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  14:53:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Aw, I expected you to catch that movie reference... Going senile, perhaps?

Maybe better taste in movies.....
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  14:54:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

More proof to avoid the generic books.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  18:15:56  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
Thank you for your contributions brothers. Now, let us chant and pray.

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  18:24:40  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

Have you ever read the Cleric Quintet books by RA Salvatore? They have some info on the monks of Candlekeep who worship Oghma. Very interesting bunch :)

I read all the books years ago when they came out, but I remember very little about the Candlekeep reference. I'll have to go back to check it out.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2004 :  13:46:29  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message
The term "Monks" imply a group of males totally isolated from the rest of the world. Where does the isolation fit in? AND WHAT ABOUT US FEMALES!!!

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2004 :  17:38:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

The term "Monks" imply a group of males totally isolated from the rest of the world. Where does the isolation fit in? AND WHAT ABOUT US FEMALES!!!

Y'all can be the monkettes.

Go to Top of Page

Sanavin
Acolyte

Finland
26 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2004 :  17:56:19  Show Profile  Visit Sanavin's Homepage Send Sanavin a Private Message
Monkettes of Candlekeep? Is that even a word?

Nuns of Candlekeep doesn't sound that good either.

"Never test the depth of the water with both feet."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2004 :  20:21:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sanavin

Monkettes of Candlekeep? Is that even a word?

If the OED can recognize D'oh as a word, then monkettes can be used!
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2004 :  00:43:49  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Y'all can be the monkettes.

How about monkette..., man, Wooly beat me to it.
Better yet, sisters. Brings a little soul to the joint.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2004 :  08:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message
I dont like the sound of Nuns either Sanavin or Monkette.

Hmmm....

How about....

Sisterhood??
The Sisterhood... I've got it!

The Sisterhood of Candlekeep. I quite like the ring to it.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord

Edited by - Lina on 15 Aug 2004 08:30:05
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2004 :  17:10:22  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
But we can still call you sisters, right?

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  11:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message
quote:

But we can still call you sisters, right?

Course you can.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000