Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Another Short story of Seluus.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seluus
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  20:07:58  Show Profile Send Seluus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here is another story I wrote for a friend of mine that I rp'd with at the White Lotus Society, a place that now bans the works of the WoTc. Thast is why I am here now, but I had to show you how Seluus made it over there and his return will be in story form as well. Please feel free to comment after you read. A writer likes nothing more than a good critique. Although the positive ones are better... hehe.

This is the fulfillment of a promise I made to Tristan almost a year ago. I hope you all like. It came out just as good as I had expected...

The two adventurers stood looking at the gaping hole in the ground.

Once a huge tower sat there, spiring into the heavens. Now, a few pieces of mortar was all that was left of the structure that had stood as an Icon in Waterdeep for over two hundred years. Many still passed by looking at the vacancy, but moving on when seeing the two men, looking solemnly at the site.

To one, it was the place of his rebirth. In that very tower he experienced the attack of the Giant red dragon as it tore the top right off and hurled it to the ground, killing one of the two occupants inside. Had it not been for the help of the man next to him, and a few others, he would be permenantly dead.

He was a cleric of Selune then, a servant of the moon goddess, but now, he was nothing but a man, searching for his way and what his lot in life would now be. He had a few last things to do here on his home plane of Faerun, but after he left, he knew he would never come back. So he took in every sight one last time to get a final mental picture before leaving.

Seluus clapped the man next to him on the shoulder, Tristan Kendrick, a ranger of this very city, and a good friend.

Tristan looked at the empty lot, not really knowing the wizard who had lived here, but knowing the towers history well. It would be a place well missed by the leaders and residents of Waterdeep. Jalinith, the purple dragon wizard who resided here, had produced many a mage who served the city, and stood in its defence at every turn. He was a special person, one that would be sorely missed.

Tristans thoughts drifted from the tower to more real issues within himself. Although he knew Seluus had known the mage well, Tristan was worried about a new love in his life, Joanna. She had just tumbled into his life that day, a day that he would never forget.

Having accompanied the cleric and several others on a journey from Luna to this realm, Tristan had fought the red dragon, lost his friend, and found love all in the same day. How he knew it was love was because he was here now searching for the ones who were trying to hunt down the little girl Lissa.

To Tristan, Lissa was the nicest and sweetest of children. She knew how to appreciate her life, and was thankful for everything she recieved. The Ranger knew it was because most of her life she had been fleeing the evil agents of the Zhentirim, an evil collection of fighters and mages that oppressed the entire land north of the Dales. Tristan had finally had it with them and wanted to get rid of the hunters once and for all. Tristan knew it was a hopeless quest, but once the current group was disposed of, perhaps peace would come to him and the new women in his life, once and for all.

His best friend, Seluus, had helped him on many occasions, and he knew the priest would do so again. But he had no powers. He was just an ex-priest fighting with a mace. Seluus had even told the ranger that Selune had taken the spell of Vampiric touch right out of his mace when she had left him. It was strange not having the powerful cleric next to him, with a spell for everything, but he did have the man beside him, and Tristan would take that any day.

Tristan shook his head to clear it of all thoughts. To be abandoned by ones goddess seemed tough, but to have all your scrolls taken away too, not to mention his famous armor and shield. Tristan didnt know how Seluus could cope with that.

But he did, and the cleric noticed Tristan looking at him,"Are you ready my friend?"

Tristan nodded and walked alongside the cleric as they made thier way to Seluus's favorite place, the Elfsong inn. "What can the elves do to help us, Seluus? I thought they didnt even like us humans coming in there, much less, asking for aid."

Seluus simply smiled and replied to the ranger, "They have kept a small stash of items and money for me. I have over a thousand bottles of Elverquist wine in thier cellar below. They are mine, and no one elses. If she sells any of mine, she uses the money to replace them immediately, using the profits to buy more. Mine are over 10 years old since they got there, and the longer they sit, the stronger and sweeter they are. I try to drink as much as I can, but I cant keep up with the overflow of bottles. I also rent out some space in her wine cellar. It is the safest place I know. Besides, I need to collect some cash and re-equip myself for this journey."

Tristan understood, and followed behind the cleric, knowing the priest was just being prepared for any unfortunate circumstances that might occur.

The sign of the Elf Song inn was soon seen and the two men made thier way inside. The looks they got were less than friendly, but that was just the way of things. Tristan was immediately struck with an unconfortable feeling, like he really didnt belong there. When he had come before, Seluus and him had a nice following of people, so no elf was brave enough to start a confrontation. Tristan didnt think they would be so lucky this time.

Elves lined the tables, with a few of thier half bretheren scattered amongst them. Tristan noticed that he and Seluus were the only humans in the place. The cleric looked over at his favorite table, which was being used by an elf and his mate.

Seluus didnt feel like confrontation either, so he went to the bar and waited for Ariannia to see him.

It wasnt long, before a few of the elves made thier way over to the two human adventurers. They were obviously going to be beligerent, a quality Seluus had in abundance.

The three elves walked up to Seluus and Tristan, giving the humans a scowl. "What I dont understand is this... why would humans come into an inn designated strickly for elves? The only one I come up with is that they want to cause trouble. Cant you read the sign out front? This is the Elfsong inn...for elves. Why are you here? Do you wish to start some trouble?

Tristan looked at Seluus and then said to the speaker in perfect Elvish, "I can read elven fine. I saw no such condemning words on the sign out front."

Seluus chuckled and the other elves started to get angry. The speaker of the three gave Tristan a slight shove with his finger, "Just because you can speak our language doesnt mean you are accepted. It is an offence to have our tongue spoken so roughly by you! Get out, before we dont give you the chance to peacfully."

Tristan was not a hot head, but he hated these kind of stupid conflicts that had no purpose. He was about to reply when Seluus held out his arm and constrained him from speaking. The clerics slight tug on his arm causing Tristan to calm down and let Seluus have a shot.

"I must admit," Seluus began, "I am not sure if I shoud be scared or just beat the living hell out of you right here infront of your friends. You have insulted us, and been less than friendly. Perhaps I should just stop talking and bash your heads in!"

Seluus's Mace was halfway out of its sheath before Tristan realized the cleric was really going to attack them. The Ranger stood up and blocked his friend from beating on the elves, giving the others a chance to pull thier slender swords out of thier scabbards.

Seluus was about to throw Tristan to the side, when a voice rang out of the corner of the inn. "Stay Your Hands! There will be no Fighting in this place!"

It was a womans voice that stopped the commotion, one that commanded attention, for it came from one of the most beautiful of the elven race. Ariannia approached the group and put her finger on the elf's chest, pushing him aside. Consider this your lucky day Fezriel, I just saved your life from these humans."

Fezriel, the elven speaker, backed away, not really having any argument with the owner of the establishment. He walked off, staring hard at the human cleric and Tristan. The look spoke volumes of how he felt. This obviously would not be forgotten.

The ranger wispered in Seluus's ear, "I thought we were supposed to keep a low profile while we were here. Is Attacking an elf in the middle of the day doing that?"

Seluus meerly smiled and said, “I knew you would stop me, so I had no problems with it. The main thing is, the elf had no idea..."

And the priest chuckled to himself, even Ariannia joined in. The Elvish owner looked Tristan up and down. "I think we have met once before, perhaps twice. I am Ariannia Silvertree, the owner of this place. She extended her hand to Tristan so he might kiss it lightly.

After the pleasantries, Arianna asked the cleric of Selune seriously, "So, what is your business this time? Were you not just here the other day?"

Her words seemed unkind, but Seluus knew when it came to business, Ariannia was all business. She figured out already this was not a social visit.

"I need my stash I left with you a while back. As you can see, I have no Armor, and I need to re-equip myself."

Arianna had noticed, but wasnt going to ask till Seluus had made the initial comment, but now he was open game. "So, did you loose your armor in a game of chance? Or did Selune finally figure out what kind of person you really are?"

The last statement was made in jest, but to Tristan, it was like an insult to the cleric. He stood up and looked like he was going to say something, but saw the Clerics face was on the virge of laughter. Tristan sat back down and Seluus patted his shoulder in reasurance...

"I think my friend here got more upset than I did at that last statement. But you wouldnt know, so I am here to tell you that Selune has left me, and taken all her powers away. Her Armor and shield also were taken. Along with every scroll I ever made, which was alot."

Ariannia extended her hand to touch the cleric compassionately on the arm, "I am sorry to hear that, Dear Seluus. I will keep you in my prayers."

Seluus thanked her and she left to go get the Clerics money and items. Seluus looked back to Tristan who was sitting there watching, his expression was one of confusion.

The Ranger of Waterdeep finally said, as Seluus sat ther ewaiting for him to speak, "Sometimes I dont know what you are going to do! Sometimes you get angry, sometimes not. Other times you go off the deep end and want to kill anyone infront of you, and other times, you take the insult without a look of emotion. I just cant read you well I guess..."

Seluus Laughed and commented after he ordered thier drinks, "It is all by design, my friend, to keep anyone from figuring out how I will react or not react. I am very concious about that..."

And Seluus took a drink and waited for his stuff to get there.

Tristan decided to join in the laughter. He had to many serious thoughts going through his mind, so he decided to let them go, at least for a little while.

It wasnt long before Ariannia came back and placed the large sack down on the table. Money could be heard clinking around in it, and there was obviously some other things in there too, for the sounds of heavier metal objects were seard as the sack was placed on the bar. Seluus grabbed the sack and tied it to his belt tightly, his hand coming back up with several gold to pay for the drinks and kindness.

Ariannia pushed it away, telling Seluus, "Consider this on the house. You deserve it, and I have the need to be kind today. Go, and may you find what you seek, and my the gods be with you."

Seluus finished his glass of wine, thanking the elf as well and then looked over at Tristan. "I need to go and shop a bit. If you like, perhaps you could set up an Inn for us to work out of. Get a second floor room, with an exit window and no ladder down. If there is a ladder, pull it up and lock it in place, then I will meet you near the Square as we begin our search for these Zhents."

Tristan gave Seluus a farewell, then moved out with him until they split up at the first intersection. Tristan went south and Seluus north as the sun was lowering in the western sky. There was about 2 hours of daylight was still left, and Seluus and Tristan had much to do...

Tristan turned as he began his walk to search out an inn that fit Seluus's requirements. Seluus was holding up well, considering what he had been through. After the world had been turned upsidedown for the cleric, they had gotten news that the Zents they had fled in Cormyr were now in Waterdeep asking questions about the little girl they had found and helped. The duo had found out later that the young lass had spellfire ability and had used it in protection of herself and the woman Tristan had come to fall in love with. Those two girls had been more brave than Tristan would ever dream of being, fleeing the Zentirim for almost a decade, as they were hunted across the dale lands and into the great country of Cormyr. It was only because of the purple dragons and the hatred Cormyr had for the black network of fighters and mages, that had slowed the effort to locate and apprehend the two girls.

Joanna wasnt a girl, but a full grown woman. She was in her late 20's and had the body of a fit fighting woman. A hardend, chisled physique that would be expected had anyone known of thier past. Joanna was also very beautiful. Maybe not to everyone who passed, but the large eyes and weathered look of a lady who had spent most of her life outdoors appealed to the ranger. She was his perfect mate. That was why he was here. That was why he was risking his reputation as a former guard of this city to put to rest the persuit that had hounded Joanna and Lissa most of thier lives. It was a quest. A self imposed quest to prove that he could love again.

He had been scared to love since his last was killed by his side in battle. Another Ranger that Tristan had developed a caring for over time, and that circumstance had helped mold into a relationship that had taken him in completely. His emotions had been so wrecked after the loss of his companion, that he had quit the guard and went wondering, aimlessly seeking his death at the hands of some monster in the wild. What he had not counted on, was how resourceful he could be, and overcame numerous attacks on his person by the creatures in the untamed lands north of Waterdeep. After a couple years of this, he finally realized he couldnt kill himself, for he was far to willful for that. But his uncaring attitude, brought on by loss and pain like he had never felt before, had almost done him in more times than he could remember. If only he had known Seluus back then, he would have had a friend to bring her back from the dead. But now, that was all wishful thinking, and he could not dwell on it any longer. His thoughts had to be on Joanna and the Zhents, and how to keep them from tracking the girl back to farath. It was a mission that he had to succeed at. That way he could live with himself as he developed a new life with Joanna in peace

The Ranger accidentally bumped into an inocent pedestrian, causing the man to look scornfully on the rude ranger, "Watch where yer goin stranger! Its not nice of ye to be bashin into everyone as ye daydream."

Tristan appologized and made sure he kept more focused. He had an inn to secure and some Zhents to find...

As the ranger made his way toward some inns. Tristan couldnt help but remember the trip back to Farath to restore Seluus's soul to him. Comyr Highgard, a paladin of Torm, had helped in restoring Seluus's life. Tristan and Comyr, along with a few others, knew, even before Seluus did, that he was left to become his own man. Selune could not thrive on Farath with the other gods. It was forbidden. So The goddess of the moon had withdrawn herself from him and left him bare of any power, taking all that was hers with her. The Enchanted armor, the scrolls, the protections, and the shield. All gone forever. But Seluus still wanted to help Tristan with this quest. That was what amazed him the most about the x-cleric, his want to help at all times.

Tristan spent a good hour after that, walking from inn to inn, looking for the right one. When he came to the inn called Lucks last Chance, he knew it was the perfect one for thier needs. The Ranger quickly setup thier room with all the things very rich people could afford, and reserved it for two weeks, paying in advance.

As Tristan finished paying and began to leave his room to scope the place out, an elf came up to him and asked, "By my mistress's orders, Miss Alainnia Silvertree, I was commanded to bring a case of Elverquist to your room. Is this the one I should deliver to?"

Tristan was taken back, he had been watching for anyone following him all the way to this inn, but he had seen no-one. Obviously this man-elf was sent by Ariannia to deliver Seluus's wine, so he told the elf yes. However, he wondered at the skill this elf possessed to keep hidden and track the ranger without him noticing at all.

The servant bowed and ran off, quickly dissapearing down the stairs and out into the common room. Tristan waited and allowed the Elf some time to get the wine and Deliver it, and it wasnt but an hour before he arrived. Tristan smield as the expensive wine was laid down near Seluus's bed. He thought about having a glass before meeting his friend, but decided not to tempt Seluus's wrath. Even though he was sure Seluus had set this up so that Tristan could enjoy the wine too, he was to respectful to just take without first gaining permission. So he got up and went to the square to meet his friend, knowing he would get a glass of that sweet wine soon enough.

Seluus was easilly found, arguing with a street vendor over the price of some jerkey. He had obviously gotten a new cloak, and some finer chainmail to wear. It was glistening, even in the waning light of dusk, and the shield he wore was also very nice. Seluus had spent some cash, and Tristan knew he would need it, especially without his spells.

As Tristan neared the cleric, Seluus finally came to an agreement on the price and paid the man, frowning at the stubborn vendor as he gave him the hard earned gold out of his pouch. Seluus always knew how to get on the bad side of everyone, even common street vendors.

Seluus turned to Tristan as he neared and took a bite of the newly bought jerky and handed some to the ranger. "I hope this is as good as it costs," Seluus said, just loud enough for the vendor to hear. Tristan saw the man huff behind them as they walked down the street. There were still many people out buying and selling even as night descended on the city of Waterdeep. The Ranger smiled and took a bite of the jerky Seluus offered, savoring the taste and waiting to hear what the cleric had to say.

Seluus, after finishing what was in his mouth, turned into another tavern, not even looking to see what the name of it was before he entered. The cleirc quickly found a seat and ordered some wine, then looked at Tristan. "The path we are about to follow is dangerous my friend, but I know you already know that, so I will not bring up anything about the guards or the fact that we will be breaking numerous Waterdavian laws this night."

Seluus paused as the wine was delivered then started again, "This must be a series of quick kills, not pausing for any distraction. The best time is to wait till nightfall is completely upon us, then I can have the use of my ring if needed." Seluus rubbed the magical platnum band that was on his right hand lovingly. He had used the ring only three times in the ten years he had owned it. All three times he had killed someone with it. It was an item that held alot of history for the x-priest, for he had found it on a dead cleric he had killed before he had been captured by the slavers of the Pirate Isles. It was the one ring he had reclaimed from one of the Slaver Lords he had ended up killing as he escaped. It was his ring, a ring of shooting stars.

Tristan smiled as Seluus started getting himself in the mode to do battle. It was a ritual, Tristan knew, for the cleric often built up within himself a fire of anger, and he stoked that fire with words and visions of how the outcome would be. He was going through that now, as Seluus continued speaking, "I have heard that these special teams of Zhents have mages with them. If this ends up being the case, we must take him out first. I will engage them as you fire from afar. It is the only way to utilize our tallents best. Besides," Seluus started, then noticed that Tristan didnt have his Glowing Longsword hung across his back. It was like an icon for the ranger, for he never went anywhere without it. So Seluus stopped his comment in mid sentence then said, "Where is your longsword? Surely you didnt leave it behind?"

Tristan patted the two shortswords on his belt and told the cleric, "Lissa, after the purple dragon attacked us outside Luna, had touched it as I was bringing her back to the city for help. I am thinking her touch zapped the sword of all its magic. It was dull and grey, void of any power as I was packing yesterday for this trip. I took it to one of the mages at the guild house to see if it could be recharged back the way it was. I wont know till we get back. But I have the swords twin here on my belt, so I am not to lightly armed."

His wry smile told Seluus he also would miss the sword, but that he couldn't dwell on that now, but only hope the magic could somehow be restored.

Tristan drank and put the image of his sword out of his mind. He had work to do and dwelling on the negative was useless and a waste of energy. He siad to Seluus as he watched the crowd around him, "Do we have a location on these Zhents? Or did Liseria manage to divine that for us?"

Seluus smiled and winked at Tristan, "Ofcourse she divined thier location. Why do you think we are here?"

Tristan became immediately tense, lines of worry began to form on his brow as he tried to keep from looking around anxiously. "Are you nuts? They know my face. They know what I look like and you just brought me in here?"

Seluus was almost laughing, but kept himself from injuring the pride of the Ranger. It was the least he could do since he had just sprung him in on his plan...

"Yes, I am nuts. But we have help my friend. There will be no escape for them from this inn. We are all prisoners here, unable to leave except by magic, and that option will soon be gone too. So sit back and relax. Soon they will come down from thier rooms to begin thier quest again, for they only work at night... strange huh? And when they walk down, they should see you sitting here near the door, just like I planned, and either attack you, or go running upstairs to warn thier companions. It is then, that we shall begin our total disregard for the laws of Waterdeep and become criminals. For you, that will be a first. But for me, I have been there before and it isnt all that bad. Just 10 years of exile... not to bad for accidentally burning down several houses in the docks district."

Tristan was not amused, but Seluus found it very funny. Tristan knew the whole plan about shooting from afar was but a joke now. That they would take out these men hand-to-hand, in a melee battle with tables, chairs, and others all around to make it a most dificult fight. Tristan was not pleased at Seluus's plan.

"I cant believe you think you can take on atleast four zhentirim warriors, possibly more, and not even blink an eye. You have no spells Seluus! Your just an abandoned cleric with nothing more than a mace and shield now. How in the nine hells do you think we will win?"

Tristan saw the anger flash in Seluus eyes, but he held himself down from yelling back. Tristan was surprised at his own reaction too, for he would have never said those things a week ago. But now they were out of his mouth, and he had no idea how much it stang Seluus to hear him say those things.

"We will win, because we are determined to win," Seluus began, his voice low and calm, but that made it all the more ominous. "We will win because we have lives to save. And we will win because we are determined to die trying. Now, I might not have any spells left, but my mace still kills, and my arm is just as mighty as it was before I lost Selune. Now, are you going to be a man and stand up and fight? Or do I have to do it all by myself?"

Tristan saw the determination in Seluus's eyes, and he knew he should not have said those things. So he looked down and said softly, "I am sorry Seluus. I just have so much to loose now. It is making me hesitant..."

"Dont!" Seluus said roughly, his fist striking the table hard enough to spill out the contents of both glasses of wine onto the table. "Get this lady out of your mind right now, or I walk. I can not have you thinking about women as we prepare to risk our lives for them. Remember... you are a killer! We both are, and we do it for friends, we do it for life, and we do it for what is good and right. Zhentirim hunting little girls is wrong, and they will pay with thier lives for the turmoil they have caused this little girl and her guardian. That is what you need to think about. That is what you need to focus on."

Tristan didnt agree with Seluus, but nodded his head on the last part, for that was what he really needed to focus on. There were evil men seeking the abduction of a little girl. That had to be stopped...and now.

Just then, a rumbling from upstairs caused many to turn and look as the sound of clanking armor of plate covered men came down the stairs from the 2nd floor rooms. They were not clad in black as Seluus had thought they would be, but rather they were armored in regular platemail and had no standard or marking on thier shoulder plates as the Zhents mostly did. Tristan peeked over and saw that two of the men he recognized from the escape in Comyr just a few days before. Tristan had teleported to Waterdeep with the help of the Lotus amulet as it flashed that someone in his group needed help. It was certain that these men had to teleport here as well, as the distance from Cormyr to Waterdeep was over 2000 miles.

Then, trailing behind the four armored men came the wizard. He was dressed in a robe of fine linen, dark brown and trimmed in black. His face was that of a hardened man adept in killing. He had the gait of a seasoned adventurer, and he was not recognized by Tristan as one of the four he had encountered in Cormyr.

"The two in front I recognize, but the others I do not. I feel these are the men looking for Lissa."

Tristan's wispers were heard by Seluus as he tried to engrave in his mind all the images of the men he saw walking down the stairs. Tristan watched as Seluus seemed to be very much in concentration, his eyes were boring holes through the Zhents as they walked down the stairs. This made Tristan somewhat concerned, but waited to see what was going on.

Then Seluus took a deep breath and smiled at Tristan, "The elves know our prey and they will not get out of this inn alive. So, shall we begin?"

Tristan looked at Seluus and knew the cleric was in complete control. Why hadnt he seen that coming? The delivery of the wine, the visit to the Elfsong inn? the confrontation with the elven patrons? Oh, Seluus was good... he was good. The Ranger took out his Shortswords and smiled back at the Cleric in return, "Yes, I think the time has come for our retribution."

Seluus gave Tristan another wink and stood up from the table, waiting for Tristan to follow him towards whatever the gods had in store for them now....

Pt. II

Seluus's mace came down in a heavy overhand swing that knocked the helm right off his enemies head. The nose guard dug deeply into his chin, taking a nasty gouge out of it as the helm fell to the floor.

The Zhentirim agent's head snapped back as the next swing came back at him. Seluus's trademark swing of fully extending his mace in a backhand move after coming down, almost always seem to connect, wether the first one hit or not.

Seluus heard the mans jaw crack under the ferocity of the strike, the mace having connected fully under the mans right ear. The maces enchantments worked overtime, damaging the evil zhent with its own magic.

Tristan knew Seluus's mace could store spells, but more importantly, if any creature of evil was struck by the heavily enchanted weapon, then it would strike at the evil that bound the creature, damaging it internally with holy power.

Seluus smiled as his first two strikes felled the man quickly and painfully. It was the first move of the tandem of Seluus and Tristan as they tried to rid the world of the evil Zhents that were tracking a spellfire-using child that Tristan was trying to protect.

There were five Zhents now, four burly looking types, and a brown robed figure that seemed surprised that anyone would so openly attack him in public.

Waterdeep had strict laws against such things, and now that Seluus had killed a man, or at least seemed to, then his life was now forfiet if he were caught.

Tristan planned on making sure that didnt happen.

His first of three vicious swipes with his dual shortswords were aimed at some critical spots on the next unfortunate Zhent that was still coming down the stairs when he was hit. But Tristan didnt care, he was now the killer that Seluus had told him he was, moving quickly to make fast kills against a more superior numbered opponant.

The swords dug deep, and only the last of the strikes was Tristan happy about, for he knew he had hit what he wanted; A major artery.

The striken Zhent bellowed out in pain as the second short sword dug into the mans collar bone, managing to hit the major blood vessel that ran through that part of a human body.

Blood squirted in a fountain, as the man fell back into his companions. The man held his hand to the wound, but could not stop the flow as his fellow comrades used his body to toss down onto the advancing cleric and ranger.

Seluus and Tristan had to dodge out of the way so as to not get pinned under the heavilly armored Zhent. The blood drenched man fell to the bottom of the stairs with a loud thud, and didnt move, the blood pool forming quickly about his body.

This prompted the rest of the crowd in the inn, to high-tail it out of there. Soon after the rukus began, several elves showed up at the doors, helping usher out the unlucky patrons that had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. The elves examined every one of the leaving patrons, making sure one of the zhents did not get away, or try to slip out.

The inside was utter chaos. The tavern master, a cleric of Tymora, was not going to put up with this happening in his establishment, so he began casting a spell at a randomly chosen individual, not really caring who was held by his spell, only that the fight end quickly and with as little blood shed as possible.

So he cast his spell, and one of the Zhents froze in place as he was advancing to attack Seluus and Tristan. One of the Elves noticed this, and quickly made communication to another elf not to far away.

The summoned elf came forward and was shown the wildcard that Seluus had not expected to be joining the fray. The Elven priest of Correllon then silenced the area around the bar, making the Priest loose his next spell.

The elf by the door smiled as the cleric of Correlon did his work, then backed away as more people tried to get out.

Tristan saw the man in front of him freeze, and cut his head off with a double backhand slash. The mans head flew over the railing and landed on a table before bouncing off and rolling over towards the bar.

This made some people scream and start a stampeed out of the inn. The elves knew they had best back up and let the mass exodus begin. They would have to trust that Seluus and his friend would be able to contain the rest.

Seluus stepped up as the brown robed man in the back began a casting of some kind. The x-priest knew he had to invoke the rings power if he were going to stop the mage from invoking his dangerous spell.

Seluus pointed the ring at the mage and said the command word. The cleric was struck by a two bladed battleaxe, as the Zhent weilding it sent Seluus flying backwards and onto the dead zhent lying at the bottom of the stairs in his own blood.

Seluus was happy about the man breaking his fall, but the cut across his backside was extreemly painful. He felt it throb as blood seemed to leak freely form the wound. Seluus did manage to see, before the display was over, that several balls of lightning impacting on the wizard and exploding in a burst that sent the zhent closest to Tristan falling into him, which caused a great tumbling down the stairs.

The Ranger and his enemy were all rolled up together as they hit the bottom, Seluus having barely avoided the two as they came crashing down upon him.

The silenced Cleric of Tymora knew something was amis, and looked about suspiciously as the men and women inside his tavern rushed out. He was tired of this kind of thing always happening in his bar, so he strode out of the silenced area, and when he could hear and talk again, he started casting another spell.

The elves could not get to him without attacking with thier bows, and that was not going to happen. So they prayed for the best, and hoped that the Tymoran Priest was not signing his own death warrant...

Seluus watched as Tristan and the Zhent fell at his feet. When he looked up, the last of the Zhent fighters came down the stairs, his battle axe held high for an overhand cut down into Seluus.

The cleric didnt have time to waste, so he stood there as defensive as he could and took one of his healing potions and drank it.

He felt much better afterward, but the crushing blow on his shield from the battle axe sent shockwaves of pain down his arm.

Seluus stumbled back and tripped over the outstretched hand of the dead man on the floor. The blood soaked Zhent was still a factor in this fight even though he was dead. So Seluus backed up as quickly as he could, hoping not to slip on the blood that was now covering the ground.

AS he watched the fighter with the axe come closer, the area where he, Tristan, and the two zents were, exploded with fire.

Seluus knew the spell, for he had cast it many times himself. The Flame Strike struck them all, its center on the big man with the axe.

Waves of fire washed over the priest and Tristan. Seluus didnt feel a thing from the fire, his body being protected from such things like that by his other ring, but the holy damage that came from the clerics goddess was unavoidable. Seluus looked up and saw the Zhentil fighter shruggin off the fire and still advancing, but his step was not as confidant as it once was.

Tristan, on the other hand, stood up where he was, drawing the two blades out of the other zents body. His foe lie dead, unable to get away from the fires of the cleric tavern master. Luckily for Tristan, the evil fighter had landed ontop of him. Normally the ranger would not have thanked his lucky stars, but this time he felt that he was the more fortunate of the two combattants.

Seluus yeled over to the cleric who was blasting them all, "Stop! You fool! Cant you see I am a fellow brother in the faith! Selune guides my hand to destroy these Zhents! Now stop your foolishness and get out!"

Tristan was already climbing the stairs, blocking the attacks of the Axeman as he went by. The mage had fled up the stairs, trying to get out of the line of fire. Tristan knew the mage could not escape, for he had firsthand knowledge of Seluus and himself, and if he were any kind diviner, he would pin point the location of Tristan and the Spellfire girl within days, if not sooner.

So the ranger made it by, and sprinted up the stairs, trying to chase down the evil mage before he got away.

The wizard, which had finally rounded the corner, began an immediate spell to teleport. His thoughts were to get out of the inn and back to the safty of his own black mansion in Zhentil Keep.

His spell came to completion and he opened his eyes, only to see the familiar walls of the inn still around him. His eyes widened in panic as Tristan rounded the corner.

The Ranger knew the mage had been casting something, and by the looks on his face, he had tried to get out of the inn by a teleport or some other magical means. Tristans response to that was a shortsword through the wizards guts.

The wizard doubled over in pain, and Tristan spat, "How does it feel to be hunted now! Its time you were paid back for all the evil things you have done," And the ranger drew his sword out of the mages body and came in a flurry of swings as the mage tried to get a spell off.

Tristan felt the cold touch of the Wizard as he touched him on the arm. The pain of the last wound inflicted itself on the Ranger as it healed on the wizard. The gut wound now made the Ranger cry out, but Tristans anger was to great to be distracted.

His slashes were primal. They had no finess to them as he hacked the wizard to death with the two foot long blades. The Wizard tried to get away, but could not get another spell off. The wounds inflicted by the ranger were to great to keep his concentration on spell casting.

When he held his hands up for mercy, the wizard hoped that Tristan would hear his plea and let him live. But the Ranger delivered the final slashes, cutting the mages body to ribbons.

The Wizard fell face first to the floor, crushing his nose and emptying his lifes blood through the wooden planks that were the floor of the second story suites.

Tristan smiled a triumphant smile, but he knew he couldnt enjoy it too long. Seluus was still fighting downstairs and he might need help. So Tristan took one more stab into the wizards body, making sure he was dead before rushing downstairs to his friend.

Seluus, meanwhile, was having one heck of a time with the Axeman and the Cleric.

"I dont care who ye are! If you be a cleric of that meddling Selune, then so be it, but you will put down your mace or taste more of my spells."

Seluus already didnt like this preist. He snarled as the last standing Zhent fighter took a couple swings at him again, this time, he managed to get out of the way of the blows, but he knew this man had too much skill to keep at bay.

Seluus pointed his ring at the fighter, and commanded another set of miniture fireballs to come and detonate on his foe. The fighter saw the oppening the cleric gave him and took advantage of it. The x-cleric of Selune felt the axe blade bite into his side as the fire balls exploded.

Seluus fell back from the axe, hurt yet again, but his one ring absorbing the fires of the other. Seluus watched the axeman come out of that one, seriously hurt, but not down yet.

Seluus shook his head and swung his mace at him twice as the fighter tried to gut the priest open.

The tavern owner, infuriated at Seluus's refusal to obey, cast another flame strike on him, this time, it was much hotter and much more powerful than the last one. It was also centered on Seluus.

As it came down, Seluus heard the call of the elves in his head... "They come now Seluus, finish him off and run. You have less than a minute to get out safely...."

Seluus knew the elves were speaking of the guards, so Seluus took the punishemnt from the tymoran, accepting the pain as it bit through his ring of protection and he felt the holy fire of Tymora.

When the flames cleared, the look of surprise on the casting clerics face showed he was untterly shocked that Seluus still stood. The Axeman, which lay in ashes on the ground, was not so lucky. The only thing that gave the crumbled body any identity, was the two handed battle axe that lay beside it, glistening in the taverns own light, and not scathed at all from the fires it had been through.

Seluus picked up the weapon and walked toward the tavern owner. The awe was evident in the Tymorans face as he backed away from Seluus and asked for forgiveness for intruding on his business.

Tristan came down the stairs as Seluus advanced upon the tavern owner with the Axe drawn back like he was going to strike him. He was shocked that Seluus could command such a powerful caster to fall back from him like that. Surely Seluus didnt look that tough?

But the Ranger rushed down anyway to stop Seluus from becoming an out right murderer. As he approached, he stopped just out of reach of the axe, "Dont My friend. Its not worth it. You would become just like them, a murderous and evil dog. Dont kill him my friend. Dont kill him."

Tristan tried using his calming voice, but Seluus was still raging mad, "He attacked us! He knew what we were doing and he still attacked us! That means he is my enemy and he must be killed. I will not leave an enemy at my back."

Seluus raised the Axe and the tymoran squinted his eyes as he felt the death blow might be on its way. Instead, the cleric was knocked out, the flat of the heavy battleaxe's blade, striking the owners head very hard.

Tristan heard the clang as the owner was struck, but felt better that Seluus had managed to pull himself together just in the nick of time.

A horn sounding in the distance reminded Seluus and Tristan that they had other places to be. Seluus knew what had to be done, so he pulled off his last bead, the last of Selune's gifts to him. The Cleric knew it was a one way trip to Farath, and that there would be no return, then he remembered the Elverquist back at the other inn.

"Come on!" He said quickly, "I almost forgot my Elverquist...."

And the cleric ran out the back of the inn, Tristan following stupidly. The Ranger thought to himself as the Ceric rushed to the Lucks Last Chance, "What in the nine hells is so good about that wine that he would risk his life to go and get it..."

When they got back to the room and Seluus opened the case, they both looked inside at the wine. It seemed perfectly normal. Twenty four bottles of wine in the case was about right... then Tristan noticed that the case seemed to shimmer before his eyes, and he could see that the case which held the bottles was only an illusion. Deep inside, Tristan could see a huge cellar filled with wine and other things. Seluus had a fortune in that box. MAgic items, gold, platnum, and artwork galore. It was like he was taking with him his own dragon hoard.

The ranger smiled and looked back at the x-priest... "I can see why you were so interested. And I only thought you were a hopeless Alcoholic."

The two laughed together, then Seluus took the bead and threw it to the ground. The portal that opened shimmered at first, then the town of Luna came into view. It was a sight to sore eyes, and Seluus was glad he could call this place home.

As they stepped in, Seluus made one last comment to the Ranger, "Now there will be peace for you and for me. We can ask for nothing more in life..."

Tristan smiled as a tear welled up in his eye, "Aye, you have the right of it there my friend... You have the right of it there."

And they walked through the portal, leaving behind a past filled with pain, and looking for a future, full of hope.

Written by Seluus for Tristan Kendrick.

Edited by - Seluus on 03 Sep 2004 20:09:13
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000