Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Alvaerle Tasundrym
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  00:42:22  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone heard of this mage? He was once a magister of Mystra and then when he grew weary of his position, the goddess of Magic made him into a Chosen. Has anyone heard of him?

592/Year of the Supreme Duelist

Growing weary of being Magister, Alvaerle Tasundrym is made a Chosen by Mystra. Ozgor "The Black Scourge" Hyelvel accepts the office of Magister (reigns 592-601DR).

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  05:17:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See "Secrets of the Magister", pgs.44-45.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  16:13:50  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much. Now I just gotta find myself a copy of that...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  01:40:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, to give you a snapshot, Alvaerele is/was a half-elven female who lived in Zazesspur (Tethyr). She was offered the position of Magister by Azuth himself. She eventually grew tired of the continuous death and slaughter her position inevitably led to, as wizard after wizard challenged her for her office - and died at her hands. She asked to be released from the office of Magister but still wished to serve Mystra and was thereupon made Chosen. She works in the shadows, seldom appearing in public (or in her true form for that fact) and her most recent "work" was to destroy a dozen or so ambitious Red Wizards of Thay who sought to trap and slay the Simbul by way of a ring-of-beholders trap. She sent that same trap to ravage mages in Thay who were rivals of the Red Wizards who made it, thereby causing dissension and internal dispute within that realm.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Sep 2004 01:41:13
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  04:15:50  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, when did this happen and is she still alive?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2004 :  06:56:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

George, when did this happen and is she still alive?

Well, she was Magister from 576 DR to 592 DR and Chosen from that time until now. Yes, she is still alive for aside from death by misadventure, wounds, illness etc. Chosen of Mystra are to all intents and purposes immortal - they don't age, grow old and die like most everyone else.

If you are asking about when the Thay thing happened, I'd say around 1370-ish DR - but that's plucking a date out of thin air-type guessing.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  19:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread got me wondering.....and an unofficial idea popped into my head....

On the Chosen Beings of Mystra
by Ruthyllim of Phorvar's Gap
Penned (allegedly) in 1215 DR; arrived in Candlekeep 1302 DR (copy, not original).

Khelben whispers in my ear that this catalog is full of interesting conjectures and anecdotal information on himself, the Seven Sisters, Elminster, and others, but its accuracy and research is off just enough that they don't mind the tome's existence. In fact, he catalogued 13 Chosen of Mystra, and while Khelben would only chuckle at (and neither confirm nor deny) the numbers, he did say that three of those therein were incorrect. The only true secret it reveals to the Realms is in confirming that a Chosen, while visually the race as they were in their "first lives," they are not quite the same after being Chosen.

Beyond that, he noted that Ruthyllim, an inveterate gossip and busybody of a mage, luckily only wrote his sole manuscript and had his two apprentices--Gruph Millerson and Willem Charmanson--make the only two copies of this tome. One went to Candlekeep, the original manuscript lies in the Vault of the Sages, but Gruph's copy was lost on its way to Cormyr and Vangerdahast's library. It is unknown who holds the book, but excerpts of the book's info have been appearing in areas around and south of the Dragon Reach.

Steven
Who sometimes gets scared at where these ideas come from....and almost expects to see a tall dark man with a white-wedged beard looming behind him on late nights of writing....

PS: Phorvar's Gap is a tiny hamlet in the midst of the Greenfields, more than a day's ride east of the Uldoon Trail and nearly a full day south of Greenrest. It's notable only for some marvelous fishing ponds, excellent ground bird hunting (of the quail, pheasant, and suthtrill varieties), and the local clay and pottery that has a slight tendency to keep water and liquids cooler than the surrounding temperatures (and moreso than standard clay workings as well).

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 02 Oct 2004 03:03:45
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2004 :  10:24:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez, Steven. Reading stuff like that makes me all smiley until I realise that you aren't writing FR products anymore. Will someone give this man a freelance gig on an upcoming FR project!?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2004 :  16:40:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Geez, Steven. Reading stuff like that makes me all smiley until I realise that you aren't writing FR products anymore. Will someone give this man a freelance gig on an upcoming FR project!?

-- George Krashos

Indeed! Wizards should be falling all over themselves to rehire this kind of creative talent!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2014 :  20:31:41  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what's a suthrill?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2014 :  22:40:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else realize that the last name is a simple function of "tsundere"?
(spoiled, because once you see it, you cannot unsee it) I am terribly sorry. But

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2014 :  05:35:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

what's a suthrill?

Its a bird, somewhat like a peacock, but its coloration favors more of a purplish and bluish tones. Its known for its ability to enthrall watchers by shaking its tail feathers rapidly, which it normally uses to hunt small game such as mice. On larger victims, this tends to work as a defensive mechanism; however, it has been noted by hunters that wearing poorly made glass lenses over one's eyes tends to disrupt the effect. The feathers of the males are particularly prized for use in artwork.

from Volo's guide to bird hunting in the North, so take it with a grain of salt.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2014 :  07:01:14  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Its a bird, somewhat like a peacock, but its coloration favors more of a purplish and bluish tones. Its known for its ability to enthrall watchers by shaking its tail feathers rapidly, which it normally uses to hunt small game such as mice. On larger victims, this tends to work as a defensive mechanism; however, it has been noted by hunters that wearing poorly made glass lenses over one's eyes tends to disrupt the effect. The feathers of the males are particularly prized for use in artwork.
from Volo's guide to bird hunting in the North, so take it with a grain of salt.

But... even Volo could't be drunk enough to mistake a radiant mephit for a bird! Could he?..

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2014 :  22:15:35  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks sleyvas! I didn't quite understand, though: Is it from Volo's guide to the North? or from the North: guide to the Savage Frontier or from somewhere completely different?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2014 :  20:15:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks sleyvas! I didn't quite understand, though: Is it from Volo's guide to the North? or from the North: guide to the Savage Frontier or from somewhere completely different?

Neither of these two, nor "The Savage Frontier" (FR5) contain words "suthtrill" or "suthrill", or any mention of birds using their tails this way. Neither do CK index and search in this forum give anything on this subject.
I managed to find only one mention of the word "suthtrill": in "The Candlekeep Compendium - Volume VII", a fragment identical to what Steven Schend wrote above in this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2014 :  21:39:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just added Phorvar's Gap to my Geography Notes.

Was that made-up just for this, or has it been mentioned somewhere else before?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2014 21:40:11
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2014 :  23:25:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven made it up, I'm sure.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  05:38:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, sorry, I was just funning around. I figured folks would get that from the Volo entry.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000