Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 So Here's the Deal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kellinjar
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  02:52:39  Show Profile  Visit kellinjar's Homepage Send kellinjar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While I don't consider myself a noob to the Realms, my experience is limited in certain areas. I"m certainly well read on the whole deal, my shelf is littered with Realms Novels, and my other shelf sports a multitude of FR source books from AD&D. However, i've never actually ran a campaign in the setting. Infact I've only minorly participated in 1 campaign that took place in for abotu 2 months time...
I generally ran all my campaigns in Mystara. And since the switch to 3rd ed, I've been reading alot..collecting books and such, but since I moved across country Iv'e been searching with people to play with and finally finding some...here is my problem. Starting Saturday i'm going to be running my first 3e campaign AND my first FR campaign. While its not a major campaign, just my gf, cousin and my neighbour, I'd still like to do it without looking like a total whack-job. Which shouldn't be too hard, my gf and cousin have never played before ;) But my neighbour is a fair rpg nut. I've decided that since its' going to be alot of information to handle, i'm going to open with a prefab adventure or two. i've chosen The Wizard's Amulet from necromancergames.com (I bought The Crucible of Freya today which is a continuation of that module, and found out that TWA is a free module from NG) For anyone who's looked at this module, any suggestions on where to place the location in the FR world? Also...what do you suggest is absolutely necessary to get things going, I of course of the 3 main source books for 3E, my modules.. I do not have the 3E FR Sorucebook yet, my budget is somewhat limited, and this being canada, everything is retardedly expensive. I do have the AD&D FR boxed set though, if i start with that am I going to lose my mind working everything around when I get the 3E version? I've got a few other source books for hte realms.. I think.. i'd have to check my pile..but I think I have demi-humans & deities (2nd) and elves of evermeet... not alot..but some.. I also have the whole host of things that were released for free on the WOTC site that has to do with the Realms as well... so yeah.. if I haven't made a total mess of this post yet.. I guess i"m looking for some input of some sort..

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  07:54:51  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In order for the scribes to help you out a little more:
  • where will the campaign be set, which area of the Realms or maybe a specific locale...?
  • in which year (DR) do you intend to play?
  • and as I'm not familiar with the modules you're going to use, can you give a brief synopsis of these?

With a little more detail more specific advise can be given. In any case, just take the knowledge you have from the 2nd edition products. Especially if you start the story in a small area the 'wordly' events will not hinder your game, and it will buy you time to gather more information. Besides advancing the timeline to 1372, 3rd edition is mostly about the rules, the setting has not been altered too much. The biggest change that might have an impact is the fact that several open-ended threads from the 2nd edition have been brought to an end or a next phase.
Go to Top of Page

kellinjar
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  16:37:21  Show Profile  Visit kellinjar's Homepage Send kellinjar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the Wizard's Amulet, is actually an adventure that comes with a selection of prefab characters (all level 1) and it focuses on one of the characters who receives an amulet from an old mentor who was trying to become a lich. He gathers a band to goto this guys tower and loot it because he died...
The Crucible of Freya is set immediately following the amulet, and it involves some orcs raiding an area among other things.
The area's themselves aren't TOO important where they are set, though i'm thinking that the the Crucible should be set in cormyr because their are 'lancer' types who patrol the area.
though given the local required.... 2 larger cities, close together, with the road between a wilderness area... I may choose something in the Dales, like Uthmere and Nyth... my other choice would be Ashabenford and Hillsfar... which area would have a higher influx of orcs do you think?

Edited by - kellinjar on 12 Dec 2002 16:51:45
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  17:35:08  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your choices could fit very well. Other alternatives might be on the Moonsea Coast (Phlan & Mulmaster) this would provide you with a more grittier setting (the area currently under control of the Zhentarim). Or Silverymoon and Everlund for instance, they have a lot of orcish activity and being a general wilderness area it has a penchant for having lots of lost wizard's towers...

The only drawback in your situation (going back to your original post) is that most of the places mentioned have an 'established' history. Your first suggestion is probably the best option in that case, allowing you the most 'creative' freedom while starting the campaign. Any additional 'canon' information learned afterward is easier to implement.
Go to Top of Page

kellinjar
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  17:48:58  Show Profile  Visit kellinjar's Homepage Send kellinjar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well luckily the 2 prefabs I have won't really mess with any kind of major history, they both take place at small villages in between the 2 larger cities. Does anyone know of any source books (2nd or 3e) that deal with The Great Dale's area? I have Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, but thats a different area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000