Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Mistress of the Night (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  22:41:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got this novel today. Has anyone else read it? If so, thoughts? I won't be able to dive into the novel for a bit as I'm in the middle of a 1,000 plus page novel at this moment. Thus, I'm curious to see what others think of this work.

dbassingthwaite
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  22:57:25  Show Profile  Visit dbassingthwaite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's brilliant!

Don Bassingthwaite
www.sff.net/people/dbassing
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  23:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dbassingthwaite

It's brilliant!

Really? Now, I wonder why you would think that?

I'm certainly looking forward to this novel, I loved your style and flavor in The Yellow Silk, and also Dave Gross' Black Wolf is one of my favorite novels from the Sembia series.

Don\Dave\Sirius, whats the total page count on this novel? Is there a map in the front?

Don\Dave - what is your opinion on the cover art? Are you impressed and do you think it does your novel justice?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

dbassingthwaite
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  23:19:16  Show Profile  Visit dbassingthwaite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

[Don\Dave - what is your opinion on the cover art? Are you impressed and do you think it does your novel justice?

The cover art was actually done when I came on board, so I knew what it would be all the way through my involvement.

However, yes, I do like the art in itself. I think it's quite grabbing and evocative. I also like the design approach that WotC is taking to The Priests series overall--at least mostly. I haven't seen the art for the books beyond Lady of Poison and Mistress of the Night, though, but I kind of hope they've chosen slightly different themes so that the books don't ALL end up with someone cradling someone else in their arms!

(Just out of curiosity, Sirius, what's our 1,000+ page competition for your attention?)

Don

Don Bassingthwaite
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2004 :  00:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to read this book. Although I haven't read any of of Bassingthwaite's or Gross' work (Save the short story in Halls of Stormweather) I'm still a big fan of Shar. She's a great goddess and I simply can't wait to read something solely focused on her and her disciple(s).

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2004 :  05:25:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Don\Dave\Sirius, whats the total page count on this novel? Is there a map in the front?

311 pages. Map of Yhaunn in front and release dates for the last two novels in this series. I can't recall if they were already known or not.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2004 :  05:28:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(Just out of curiosity, Sirius, what's our 1,000+ page competition for your attention?)
Don

George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords. I'm reading the series again for the first time since I was introduced to it last year. Thus, I hope you can forgive me for waiting til I finish that tome before diving into Mistress of the Night especially since I just paid $115 for an advanced deluxe signed copy of a RPG tome based on Martin's series.

SB who likes what he likes and has the money these days to pay for such costs since he's no longer paying some overrated University filled with pompous egos and little brains.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 30 Nov 2004 05:29:21
Go to Top of Page

dbassingthwaite
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2004 :  12:40:01  Show Profile  Visit dbassingthwaite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords. I'm reading the series again for the first time since I was introduced to it last year. Thus, I hope you can forgive me for waiting til I finish that tome before diving into Mistress of the Night especially since I just paid $115 for an advanced deluxe signed copy of a RPG tome based on Martin's series.

Ahhh - you are forgiven! A Song of Fire and Ice is an amazing series - I've probably be rereading them all again when A Feast for Crows is eventually released.

I've been looking forward to the RPG, too (Guardians of Order - a Canadian company!). Should be QUITE interesting.

Don

Don Bassingthwaite
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2004 :  15:36:30  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still have to get started on this novel, although I'm looking forward to it Don.
I will also need to re-read ASoFaI once the Crows fly. GRRM's updates with chapters are nice to read, as was his short story in Dragon a little while back.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2004 :  02:41:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked this up today but I gotta finish my 30th aniversity Dragonlance novel first before I start this one. :) So give me a day or two or three and I'll give you my thoughts on it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2004 :  02:56:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I managed to get through the prologue last night before I got to tired and needed to sleep and because I was finishing up another book first.

Now I liked the nod to the old church of Tyche! I wish, and maybe later in the book there is more about that old church, that more of that was explained! Why did the Shades stop worshipping her, etc. :) The scene with Selune's clergy member was also a good way to end the prologue.

I'll probably read at least five more chapters tonight, so I will add more thoughts on the book after I do!

I got to chapter 4 right now and seems to be a very good read. :) I like it so far and Feena seems to be an interesting character. :) Is that her on the cover or?

Kuje

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2004 :  23:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don\Dave: I've only just started Mistress of the Night, but its got great flavor in the few chapters i've read.

I'm curious as to what is meant by the seven sigils when describing the temple of Selune... are these the seven phases of the moon? If so, could you please state what these phases are.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2004 :  23:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The cover art was actually done when I came on board, so I knew what it would be all the way through my involvement.

However, yes, I do like the art in itself. I think it's quite grabbing and evocative. I also like the design approach that WotC is taking to The Priests series overall--at least mostly. I haven't seen the art for the books beyond Lady of Poison and Mistress of the Night, though, but I kind of hope they've chosen slightly different themes so that the books don't ALL end up with someone cradling someone else in their arms!

Don

I quite like this artwork, the subject is just the type of thing I like...the woodlands, druid\ranger-style character, wolf ... However, as nice as the image is, it isn't quite what I was expecting. I imagined something more darker and more evil, wheras this image looks quite calm. Do you have any influence on what should be depicted on the covers of novels?

Oh by the way Dave... Black Wolf is the best cover art in the Sembia series, IMHO! Simply perfect

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  00:52:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been giving my thoughts on this book over on the Worlds site. :) However I'm more then 3/4th of the way through this book and it's a interesting tale so far. I wanna finish it though to see how it ends! :)

Go to Top of Page

dbassingthwaite
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  01:41:45  Show Profile  Visit dbassingthwaite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm curious as to what is meant by the seven sigils when describing the temple of Selune... are these the seven phases of the moon? If so, could you please state what these phases are.

I'm actually not certain what "sigils" you're refering to (way to stump the author!) but if it's seven, yes, it's moon phases: waxing crescent, half, and gibbous; full moon, waning gibbous, half, and crescent.

And that is deliberately seven, not eight. The attitude toward/status of the new moon in Selunite faith is explained in the book.

I don't actually have "sigil" in my manuscript anywhere - it might have been substituted in during a later proofreading. If you can give me an example of its use (direct quote) I might be able to confirm this.

Don

Don Bassingthwaite

Edited by - dbassingthwaite on 03 Dec 2004 01:46:01
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  04:08:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good book Don and Dave. :) Kind of a cliff hanger ending though.....

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  07:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Wow you read though this one pretty quickly Kuje. I assume it gets quite gripping How would you rate the novel overall?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  08:31:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wow you read though this one pretty quickly Kuje. I assume it gets quite gripping How would you rate the novel overall?

I tend to read fast anyhow. :) After owning and reading almost 1,000 novels and reading for over 15+ years I tend to read fast if the story keeps me interested, which this book did BUT:

But there was parts, as I said over on Worlds, that I didn't like. The ending just kind of leaves you hanging.... I'd like to know more about the tome.... What's Shar's one moment of weakness and why did it get put into that tome? Who wrote the tome? Etc... What happens to Feena and does she find others to expand the New Moon Pact? Does she get together with the guard captain? Did anyone ever find the real Lady Monstead? What happens to Keph now that he is marked? Etc.

So there seemed, to me, to be things that were just left hanging and didn't get tied up and that bothered me. :)

So I'd give it around a 3 or maybe a 4 out of a 5..... Because I did like the action and the characters but a lot of the above parts just didn't set right with me. And as I said on Worlds, chapter 10 is a dark scene that later becomes even worse in later chapters.

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Dec 2004 08:41:36
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  09:53:24  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm actually not certain what "sigils" you're refering to (way to stump the author!) but if it's seven, yes, it's moon phases: waxing crescent, half, and gibbous; full moon, waning gibbous, half, and crescent.

And that is deliberately seven, not eight. The attitude toward/status of the new moon in Selunite faith is explained in the book.

I don't actually have "sigil" in my manuscript anywhere - it might have been substituted in during a later proofreading. If you can give me an example of its use (direct quote) I might be able to confirm this.

Don

Thanks for the info, Don Sorry for the confusion as well, when I said "sigils" I actually meant "Shards"

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  10:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So there seemed, to me, to be things that were just left hanging and didn't get tied up and that bothered me. :)

...which leaves it open for a possible sequel I guess by doing that and if the novel sells well and gets a good reception by WotC standards, then they are likely to request Don and Dave to write more on the characters. Take Shadows Witness, for example, which spawned the Erevis Cale Trilogy.

quote:
Chapter 10 is a dark scene that later becomes even worse in later chapters.

Excellent, i'll look forward to it. This sounds like the darkness of Dave's Black Wolf roots and Don's Yellow Silk flavor coming into play

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

dbassingthwaite
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  13:14:13  Show Profile  Visit dbassingthwaite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for the info, Don Sorry for the confusion as well, when I said "sigils" I actually meant "Shards"

Ahh... That was an existing bit that came out of a couple of Realms sourcebooks. The Shards are divine servants of Selune. There's an existing D&D monster assigned to them (planetar or solar or some such) but if you think angel you're not far off. As I recall, seven was a pre-existing number for them.

Don

Don Bassingthwaite
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  13:32:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ahh... That was an existing bit that came out of a couple of Realms sourcebooks. The Shards are divine servants of Selune. There's an existing D&D monster assigned to them (planetar or solar or some such) but if you think angel you're not far off. As I recall, seven was a pre-existing number for them.

Don

Also, one of the Shards of Selūne appeared very briefly in The Wyvern's Spur, and there were a couple of references to the Shards in Song of the Saurials.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  13:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks both

Don\Dave, just a quick question on your roles when writing this novel... how did you assign parts of the novel between you? Did you each write specific chapters or assign characters to each other to develop? I'm trying to grasp an idea of how a multi-author novel such as this gets written.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  06:11:28  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the book extremely interesting. In a world where clerics can speak to their god, it's nice to have an example of heresy and some reasoning behind it. Clerical administrative corruption is also nice, as well as the subtle, day-to-day events of a temple. Human clerics have been sadly neglected in FR for the most part-the main reason I like the Priest series so much-and one of the Selune's sets an example for understanding religion as a whole. The inter-church conflict was insightful, as was the use of divine magic-though I did wonder why so many of the priests wielded magic. To continue my outpour, the New Moon Pact was a very cool concept, quite specific with a flavorful history-something lacking in many D&D associations (though rarely in FR, thank Mystra!)-and with some interesting abilities. I didn't mind the loose ends-all were intriguing enough to make me buy a sequel/spinoff. What I did wonder about was Keph. I was sure that he would become a cleric of Selune! Variance's claims of priestly potential, his conversion and prayers to the moon goddess...when Feena lay wounded, I suspected he would arrive with a bit of divine mojo up his sleeve. Either that, or perhaps a conversion to the shadow weave after being effected by the magical tiles, so that he could use a different kind of arcane magic (it makes little stat-sense, but idea-wise it seems ok). Anyone have similar expectations?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  08:33:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres a new article over at WotC:At Home in Fourstaves House.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  14:49:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Theres a new article over at WotC:At Home in Fourstaves House.

Good find Lord Rad and a fine article on a family with a great deal of potential for future stories.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  02:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading this wonderful book! I just have one question for the imaginative authors:

***SPOILER APPROACHING****

"SPOILER APPROACHING?!?"

"OPEN FIRE!!!! ALL WEAPONS!!!!!"

"DISPATCH WAR ROCKET AJAX TO BRING BACK IT'S BODY!!!"

Anyways, my question is this: Is there then an eighth Shard that represents the New Moon and the New Moon Pact? If so, is this the same Shard appearing to Feena during her death scene?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

dbassingthwaite
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  20:24:43  Show Profile  Visit dbassingthwaite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, but I hadn't really considered it. It's a very good question though and excellent reasoning.

Very slight spoiler:
The Shards are, I think, more significant symbolic in their number than in actually representing actual phases of the moon. If there was an eighth Shard to correspond to the new moon, she'd be hidden just as Selune is on those nights.

I suppose the answer could be maybe there is and maybe there isn't. Not being elusive - I just hadn't considered it before.

Don

Don Bassingthwaite

Edited by - dbassingthwaite on 12 Jan 2005 20:26:53
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  21:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thank you for replying regardless. I guess if I want to include this in my campaign (and I will, as I feature Selūne quite regularly in my campaigns!) I can do so.

Thanks!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  02:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I quite like this artwork, the subject is just the type of thing I like...the woodlands, druid\ranger-style character, wolf ... However, as nice as the image is, it isn't quite what I was expecting. I imagined something more darker and more evil, wheras this image looks quite calm. Do you have any influence on what should be depicted on the covers of novels?

Actually, I found the cover to be creepy and unsettling (in a good way, mind you). Did you take a close look at the foremost paw of the wolf? I think the cover represents a stylized version of (SPOILER)
The death of Dhauna Myritar, in which case the person holding the wolf, Feena, is actually in great emotional pain (and she looks it, IMO).

I finished this book today and I absolutely loved Feena, the protagonist. Throughout the book, she is bombarded with problems, but she doesn't waste time angsting about them--she gets on her feet and takes action. She tries to do whatever it takes to help Moonshadow Hall, even if it means sneaking out on her own (when no one else wants her to) or breaking a few old traditions. Feena's emotions were very real and very human; she gets frustrated and isn't always nice. This is a character that I truly feel for--a worthy protagonist.

On the subject of loose ends--the book did leave me wanting more. :) I think some mystery is a good thing, it leaves the sense that the problems that occured weren't tied up into a neat little package. Variance isn't dead, Shar's secret may well be discovered, Feena will still have to work to bring more people into the New Moon Pact...and so on.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  22:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Actually, I found the cover to be creepy and unsettling (in a good way, mind you). Did you take a close look at the foremost paw of the wolf?

If you thought that one was creepy, I'm intrigued to see what you think about the cover for Maiden of Pain. (You can see it on Amazon.com.)

My apologies for sidetracking the thread. I just found the effect it had on you interesting. I personally found it to be one of sorrow in the midst of what should have been a tranquil/peaceful setting. Mark Fishman has done an excellent job on all the Priest covers to date.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000