Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  10:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. Ed replies to Si in the matter of Realms terms for a troubleshooter:
<brevity snip>

Yet another answer and a smile from the lady, my mug runneth over.
Many thanks for the answers you posted on the Realms list about the Red Sashes & Skullport this week also-I'll post them here soon if Alaundo will indulge me, now if only the new Waterdeep material would hurry up and come out. I read the sample chapter of the novel on Elaine Cunningham's website and enjoyed it a lot, is it going to be set in one time period or is it going to flit around in time like Cormyr, or Evermeet?

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  16:24:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Si
Many thanks for the answers you posted on the Realms list about the Red Sashes & Skullport this week also-I'll post them here soon if Alaundo will indulge me, now if only the new Waterdeep material would hurry up and come out. I read the sample chapter of the novel on Elaine Cunningham's website and enjoyed it a lot, is it going to be set in one time period or is it going to flit around in time like Cormyr, or Evermeet?

I snagged it already for my file for this site as well, so it'll be in Monday's update. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Llah
Acolyte

Ukraine
6 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  16:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Llah's Homepage Send Llah a Private Message
Some time ago I've read accessory "Fall of Myth Drannor" and after that was "Elminster in Myth Drannor". These books impressed me a lot, so I want to write some fan-fiction collection of essays about the Fall. But when the first three stories were ready, I run into some problems. And these problems are in the following questions:
1. The main theme of collection is the story of Iolas Eyriendor, Arykerym of Ak'Velahr, whose name was mentioned in the "Fall of Myth Drannor". He was described, as traitor, but I'd think a lot about his deeds…and asked myself: "And what if this man only executed a command?". So I read this book again and thought: "Hmm, the Fall was very bad event for all…except Noble Houses. They regain Old Elven Court, closed it for all non-elves, unruly commanders (such as Captain Selorn and Major Olortynaal) were dead, and the N'Tel'Quess-members of Council also were killed. This is very interesting". And after two days, when I sat at the table with pencil and paper, I suddenly stop writing and thought: "And what, if the Houses decided to surrender Myth Drannor with all its N'Tel'Quess?" So the first question to Ed is - "Could Houses decide to do this, or not? Could they decide to destroy the whole city for the restoration of elven glory?"
2. Second question. During the Twilight's Falling Lady Steel and a lot of Harpers at Twilight died. But what role did they play in Myth Drannor? Was their death important or nor? And could the Houses decide to kill her for the best of all golden elves?
3. In the description of the battle, which was named Dawn at Erolith's Knoll, the name of Erolith was mentioned. Is there any information about this "noted sylvan elf scout and warrior."
4. Human-mage Nezras, who later was named, as Traitor? Played some role in the Fall. There is no information about him, except notes about his participations in battles and his wedding with elven wizardress Raejiisa Sicafei. There are two questions - Is there anything about his life? - and - Could the family Sicafei agree with this wedding for the future use of Nezras during the War?
5. During the Silvergate Battle? Elminster Aumar detonated the portal between Silverymoon and Myth Drannon from within. Here is the citation from the rulebook - "Elminster was lost among the planes for a time, due to his task of destroying the gate from within". Is any information about El's traveling between planes?
6. During The Third Court Crusade 2/3 of Captain Selorn's forces were leaved in the restored Elven Court. He was a good commander and had to understood, that with 1/3 of army he couldn't do nothing in Myth Drannor - only die. So the question is: What was more important for Selorn, as a Captain of Ak'Velahr and also the son of the House Selorn - the order of Houses, representatives which formed the Council of Elven Court, or his duty before Myth Drannor?
7. And the last question. The Bane Duel. The last hope of Myth Drannor…or no? Or may be the hope was dead long ago? The last question is: IF Captain Fflar defeated Aulmpiter and stay alive, could he save the City of Song, or not?
That's all. I'll be very grateful for answers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  17:26:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Llah, The Fall of Myth Drannor was written by Steven Schend. You might want to ask him these questions, as well. His thread is here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Jul 2005 17:26:50
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  19:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Ahhhh another scroll found drifting around the Chamber of Sages. This one, from Grayequus:

quote:
Originally posted by Grayequus

Well met Lady Hooded, Ed and all,
At the risk of venturing too sweeping a question: What can Ed reveal about 'table magic', and the 'gult' and 'vedarren' items used to craft the networks of 'waiting spells' alluded to the the novel? Are there other such devices and methods besides Cormanthyn spellwebs? Is 'table magic' Halruaan <as the pieces seen in Silverfall were looted from a tower there> or older?

While I'm asking about elder magics, what can be disclosed about 'wraithwizards' and El's life-draining sorceress foe in 'Last Tempation of Elminster' 's unique form of undeath and the processes that raise a mage into such forms of unlife? Are such states still achievable by wizards of the current Realms or is lichdom their only chance of eternal existance <short of being Chosen> ?

While I'm thinking of LToE and Silverfall, am I right to think that Shar in general, and perhaps most evil dieties of Aber-Toril have a rather cruel, sadistic relationship with their worshippers? Between the nameless novice being told to show her faith by consecrating an alter to the Mistress of Loss in her own blood as the temple's owlbear feasted on her living body, and the more psychological torment of Meira, the homely old priestess of Shar in Silverfall <who as much as said 'no one has ever loved me for what I am'> and who Shar 'kindly' gave the gift of the ability to seem like a lovely woman to lure men to her bed, it seems as though Faerun's darker gods find the suffering of their servants and laity as appealing as that of their sacrificial offerings..in whichever sense. Is this just a perception? It seems they'd find it hard to win faithful even among the bitter and vengeful if all of them end up suffering like a pimp's 'stable' does at his hands in our real world. Less so in fact, given that their eternal reward is subsumption by thier tormenting diety.

Sory to ramble on so, but these questions rise to the top as I reread my favorite of Ed's wonderful works..so I thought I'd lay them before him and see what came of it. Pray pardon if I've strained any rules or ettiquette..its my first time seeking answers here.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  03:13:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed makes swift reply to Smyther about those inverted floating Netherese mountaintops:

Smyther, very few of the floating cities of Netheril were severed mountaintops. I know of only four, out of almost two score floating cities and castles (some floating constructs were little more than a single fortress).
Mountaintops are rarely “solid” rock, but rather the exposed and weathered “pointy ends” of fissured and cracked rock that’s either volcanic (and therefore of different consistencies, from the former outer cone ash to the onetime magma shaft), folded layers of rock thrust up “on end,” or even different tectonic plates. They don’t “hang together,” and thus there’s no benefit to lopping off mountaintops except impressing the observer. Most of the mountains (edge of Anauroch, in Thar, and areas now under the High Ice) that were mined or quarried or sculpted by various Netherese were consumed down to a rocky plain or plateau, and so have “left no trace” to modern mappers and explorers.
Many Netherese archwizards experimented with melting stone and sculpting it (to form honeycombed-with-passages “bases” that they then built up into soaring-spired palaces somewhat as a modern master confectioner “builds” an ornate wedding-cake), and they usually found it easiest to quarry boulders (cottage-sized and smaller) and magically bind them to other boulders of the same size, slowly building the result into a platform of about the size they wanted (constructed lying atop bare rock plateaus on the ground, not in the air).
Most Netherese cities looked like a series of palaces set among terraced gardens, with a few “viewing rooms” or griffon-steed landing ports visible around the “lower curve” edges. The creative competition turned in the direction of changing gravity, “sky” hue, and other local physical conditions by means of layers upon layers of spells.

So saith Ed. Ever onward into Realmslore!
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  04:32:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
This is mostly a, hey Ed, give us your thoughts type of question.

Are paladins of Faerun allowed to have slaves? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 17 Jul 2005 08:14:58
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  06:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Are paladins allowed to have slaves? :)

Id imagine a Paladin whose deity was from the Mulhorndi panthon could

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Llah
Acolyte

Ukraine
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  07:04:41  Show Profile  Visit Llah's Homepage Send Llah a Private Message
Thank you, Wolly, I'll try.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  07:08:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Are paladins allowed to have slaves? :)

Id imagine a Paladin whose deity was from the Mulhorndi panthon could

I was just pointed to that, and I'll concede that but the main arguement was about Faerun mostly. :)

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  07:09:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
In the interests of not derailing Eds thread Ive posted a longer answer in your thread in FR chat

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  21:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message
Thanks for the information. You know, I probably should have realized the impracticality of having mountain tops for bases, considering I'm an avid hiker of mountains and such. I was under the impression that all Netherese cities were constructed as such, but I stand corrected. I like both tauster's and Eric Boyd's ideas about the mountains, though this somewhat conflicts with the wild magic theory. I'll just have to go with Ed's (considering he is the master) explanation of complete destruction of mountains to build the cities (though there may be a few half-mountains in the High Ice...)

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  23:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I asked this elsewhere, but several sages were curious to know Ed's answer. Many are particularly interested in what the Waterdhavian chapbook printers have added. (I postulated that there is some Waterdhavian Aldus printing authoritative scholarly editions even as we write, but who knows of that besides you, Ed?)

quote:
I have seen a few lists of books held in various libraries in Faerûn, including books written as recently as 1370 DR, and I have even written out some of the quotes from plays and books which have appeared as epigraphs in Ed's writings, but what are "the Classics" of Torilian literature -- the books with which every educated person is expected to be familiar? What are Toril's answers to the Iliad, Tao te ching, Euclid's Elements, Aristotle's Poetics, their 1000 Nights and a Night, Canterbury Tales and Paradise Lost, Epic of Gilgamesh, and so on? Since the Mazticans still have much of their literature intact, what are their "great books"? What's Kara-Tur's "five foot shelf"?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  01:53:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Kuje, your Purple Lady lore arrives at last!

First, to Si: yes, please repost Ed’s Red Sashes and Waterdeep replies in this thread. Ed informs me that the already-posted Prologue of CITY OF SPLENDORS is set back at the time of the Threat From The Sea, but the rest of the book is current Realms time, jumping from group of characters to group of characters, but never “back and forth” in time.

Second, Ed deals with Kuje’s paladins keeping slaves query:

In theory, a paladin born, raised, and temple-trained in a slave-keeping culture (like the Mulhorandi example already mentioned) could keep slaves if the paladin’s deity saw nothing wrong in that (if they did, the dream-vision commandments to “do something” about it would be pretty firm). Otherwise, no. The more familiar Faerûnian cultures already presented in print don’t equate slavekeeping with enough “this is the just and right way of doing things” for a paladin to stomach it. If a paladin ventures into slave-keeping lands and cities, the individual character of the paladin and the views of his or her deity, divine servitors, and priests the paladin has contact with will determine how the paladin reacts to other individuals keeping slaves. In the already-published CITY OF SPLENDORS prologue, Elaine and I show you a paladin of Waterdeep’s reaction to indenture-bondage (slavery by any other name) practised in Luskan.

So saith Ed. Who then passes on gleefully to speak at far more length with your desired festhall details:

Ah, the Purple Lady . . .
Picture a steep-slate-shingled, many-gabled four-storey wooden, whitewashed house whose upper two floors cantilever out (not only with ornate balconies, side-screened and solid-roofed against pigeons, where aromatic flowers are grown and intimate laundry is hung to dry, but also with floors that are larger than the floors below, the fourth jutting even more than the third) over the street. It descends for two cellars below street level, the lowest being damp and moldly and used for storage of things intended to be forgotten, and the “close cellar” (uppermost) being entered from the house above and from the street (via a locked-metal doors-covered delivery ramp) and used for storage: firewood storage, beer in casks, potatoes, turnips, and apples in bins, old furniture, and, yes, a “dungeon” for holding drunkards, unruly guests, and those who like to give and receive pain or stage “mock sacrifices on altars” as part of their sex play.
Above the cellar is the ground floor, having two open-only-from-inside, double-barred alley doors, and one public entrance: a double-width, massive door with an ornate brass-barrel handle like a steward’s rod of office. It bears a faintly-glowing (magic paint) image of a cowl-cloaked (in purple, of course) lady, seen side-on, facing to the right (the shape of the figure bespeaks the femininity).
Inside the door is a thick-carpeted forehall, apparently walled in tapestries. At least four armed bodyguards stand ready behind them at all times, ready to be summoned by the visible hostess and doorlar (doorman). Firequench magics govern this room: NOTHING will burn or ignite. Light comes down through three circular glass ‘portholes’ in the ceiling, from lamps in a room above.
To the visitor’s left, the tapestries will part to reveal a magnificent stair ascending to “the Rest.” The hostess awaits a visitor’s request; those desiring sex with one of the twelve ladies of the house know to ask for “purple for coin.” Some guests really just want a room for the night, either to sleep or for shady business or party revelry of their own, and require nothing more than the discretion of the house (soundproofing is magically augmented, and very good).
The topmost or fourth floor (which has nothing above it but a few rooftop rainwater-cisterns for gathering wash-water) is where the staff sleep; the floor below it has six to eight bedchambers that can be rented out to guests who desire nothing more than a place to sleep (though the Lady entirely lacks stabling facilities), as well as three “pleasure chambers” (lushly-furnished bedchambers for sex fun), the floor beneath that is given over to ten pleasure chambers, and the lowest of the upper floors has two private meeting-rooms (one with a kitchen antechamber connected to the main kitchens below via a dumbwaiter), an office, a bathing-chamber with a large, deep multi-person “sit in” bath, and a suite of three joined bedchambers with their own garderobes and robing-rooms, that can be rented for private parties. These floors are linked by the main stair (curving from landing to landing; there’s a guard sitting on a chair at each landing, with alarm-gongs) and by a back stair; the latter goes down via the kitchen pantries into the cellars.
The ground floor of the Purple Lady is devoted to the kitchen and its pantries, along the back, and (through the tapestries on a visitor’s right, from the forehall) a dimly-lit dining-hall (we moderns would call it a restaurant), called The Lady’s Pleasure.

So saith Ed. I know you’ll snarl at this, Kuje, but I’ve split up Ed’s reply to avoid running into the post-size-limit. I’ll send along the second part tomorrow (because, she breathed, tortured anticipation is good for any man).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  02:06:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
My thanks Ed, for the slavery issue and the Purple Lady. Bah on the 2 parts though! But more lore for me! :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  03:00:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

My thanks Ed, for the slavery issue and the Purple Lady. Bah on the 2 parts though! But more lore for me! :)

Indeed, and my thanks as well.

The Luskan example is interesting... similar to what I was talking about with indentured servitude.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  08:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
quote:

Kuje, your Purple Lady lore arrives at last!

First, to Si: yes, please repost Ed’s Red Sashes and Waterdeep replies in this thread. Ed informs me that the already-posted Prologue of CITY OF SPLENDORS is set back at the time of the Threat From The Sea, but the rest of the book is current Realms time, jumping from group of characters to group of characters, but never “back and forth” in time.
<brevity snip>

I'll post Ed's replies to the Waterdeep related queries after I have the chance to retrieve them from my work computer tomorrow. Many thanks for the speed of reply, the prospect of modern Waterdhavian Lore is giving me pre-birthday jitters. I know Ed's is NDA'd to death with the Waterdeep stuff, so to raise a neighbouring question would Ed give us any important events/nascent plots in Daggerford recently?
Cheers

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  12:11:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
Daggerford is the initial setting for my conversion of the new Dungeon magazine adventure path entitled the "Age of Worms." See the web enhancement on the Paizo site for Dungeon #124 and #125 (available soon).

Note, t's not canon per se, but a "one-off", but it does deal with Daggerford.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  14:51:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Part three of Spin a Yarn 2004:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p3

Part four of Ed's "Spin a Yarn 2004" is now up:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p4

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  17:42:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Also, don't miss the second MAKING OF A MAGE short story fragment, "Ghost of a Chance," now posted on the WotC Books front page.
It looks like "The Night Tymora Sneezed" is heading for at least six parts, by the way they're splitting it.
And Kuje, I'm afraid I'll have to break up the Purple Lady Edlore into at least four parts, for length reasons. However (she breathed) I'll make it up to you . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  17:51:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Also, don't miss the second MAKING OF A MAGE short story fragment, "Ghost of a Chance," now posted on the WotC Books front page.
It looks like "The Night Tymora Sneezed" is heading for at least six parts, by the way they're splitting it.
And Kuje, I'm afraid I'll have to break up the Purple Lady Edlore into at least four parts, for length reasons. However (she breathed) I'll make it up to you . . .
love,
THO

NOOOOOOOOO! Well alright, if you promise to make it up to me. And YAY! More lore for me. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  17:54:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

And here's the URL:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/ghostchance

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  19:22:08  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

Where can I find the first fragment?

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  19:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/bor2fartoo
Go to Top of Page

Rain
Acolyte

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  23:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Rain's Homepage Send Rain a Private Message
I would just like to say that i am a big fan of Ed Greenwood and especially the Forgotten Realms, it has allways been great when a question on the FR-Mailing list would get an answer from Ed and then to discover a huge thread dedicated to him answering FR questions is a really great experience so i would just like to say Thank You for creating the Realms and in advance for answering any questions.

I often get the impression from various sources that the Chosen of Mystra are a bunch of high level good characters who run around killing evil (and i can imagine people in the realms thinking that aswell), but what they are really doing is furthering the use of magic and stopping the ones who would restrict it, so regarding that

Has Mystra (apart from Sammaster) had any Chosen who were clearly evil?

Have The Chosen ever had to perform 'evil' tasks to help further Mystra's cause?

And (this may be a weird question) do the Chosen or their allies (for example The Harpers) know what Mystras overall point with the Chosen are?

And to something abit different

In the Forgotten Realms 3rd edition book there is shortly described the solar system in which Toril exists and i was wondering if you could tell something about this :

1) There is mention of other planets 'The Dawn Heralds' & 'The five Wanderers' can you say anything at all about them or do they only exist in the few lines in the book?

2) In the description of 'Tears of Selune' it says "Fewer still have actually been there and reported back" So someone must have been there, anything you can say about the place or the people who visited?

Outside. I moved through the smog resolutely.
My eyes were Blue and my shoes were Old and nobody loved me.
But I had things to do.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  23:45:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rain
In the Forgotten Realms 3rd edition book there is shortly described the solar system in which Toril exists and i was wondering if you could tell something about this :

1) There is mention of other planets 'The Dawn Heralds' & 'The five Wanderers' can you say anything at all about them or do they only exist in the few lines in the book?

2) In the description of 'Tears of Selune' it says "Fewer still have actually been there and reported back" So someone must have been there, anything you can say about the place or the people who visited?

These are both detailed in 2e Spelljammer sourcebook called Realmspace. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  23:46:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Rain, for your questions about the Tears of Selûne and the planets of the solar system, I'd recommend SJR2 Realmspace, a Spelljammer supplement. It covers the planets, Selûne, the Tears, and some other astronomical features.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jul 2005 23:46:47
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  01:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rain

Spelljammer.org is dedicated to keeping alive Spelljammer in a 3E world. Here is their page for the crystal sphere of Realmspace (which does not, I believe, contain all of the cool stuff in the TSR supplement Realmspace, but which has cool color graphics): http://spelljammer.org/worlds/Realmspace/

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  01:43:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all! Thank you, able scribes, for so swiftly answering Rain’s Realmspace questions. I’ll forward everything to Ed, but Rain, please be patient: poor Ed is starting to fall behind on his replies again, overwhelmed by real-world, real-life demands (and WotC deadlines!).
Now, hearken all to the second part of Ed’s Purple Lady festhalls reply to Kuje:

The Lady’s Pleasure is a large, labyrinthine room of tables and booths separated by trees growing in pots, and ornate wooden zigzag folding screens over which vines have been trained. The floor is tight-stretched carpet over tile, and the furniture is all heavy, dark, solid wood.
Sculptures of copper chutes and vessels hung with copper dangle-chimes, through which water endlessly falls (pumped [via seated peddles, like a modern bicycle] in a loop from cellar to top of sculpture, by boys hired for three coppers a night, plus some table leavings to eat, and “a peek at the naked ladies” when they come up from the cellars to get paid), provide background noise to give diners some privacy for their conversations from the next table. Seatings are arranged so the dim, shaded hanging lamps and the various view-blocks provide maximum privacy, from one table to the next.
The dining-hall caters to well-to-do couples and diners desiring to talk quietly or do business. Flirtation and even some sex play is allowed, but must be quiet and discreet (those desiring to “go further” will be invited up a side-stair that only reaches as far as the floor above). Its overall “look” is old money sophistication, cloaked in darkness. Platters are of copper and of wood, with brass cutlery. Tankards are of silver, tallglasses (wine glasses) of crystal, and tables are draped in crimson fineweave linens.
The cuisine consists of generous-helping dishes of fowl, smoked fish, and roasts (boar and beef). All are diced and drenched in various rich cream sauces. The taste is wonderful, the sauces rich and fat-laden, and folk in Westgate generally consider this food both “wonderful” and “as sophisticated as can be had at any great city, anywhere in Faerûn.” It indeed tastes wonderful, is far too heavy for healthy eating - - and is about as sophisticated as the nearest road-tavern (only with nicer sauces).
Vegetables tend to be side-bowls of “long beans” and potatoes, diced with apples and fried in flavoured oils.
Meals are accompanied with as many wines as diners care to accept from the gliding servers (deft, quiet, always-dignified and stonefaced men in black jackcoats and hose), and topped off with fresh fruits served with under drizzled melted chocolate sauces, in crystal goblets.
The kitchen is staffed by three cooks and five “runners and dicers,” and is notable for shared expertise in crafting strongly-flavoured sauces (including the masterful touch of being able to make fish not taste all that “fishy,” if desired). There are normally two shifts, from dusk to midnight, and midnight until dawn (the open hours of the Pleasure) of eight servers each. This is normally ample, but when all sixteen tables and six booths are occupied by diners, the place hops (quietly).
The overall appearance of the Purple Lady as a building is old, well-maintained but no longer as elegant as it once was. Its city-wide reputation is for “elegant sensuality,” and diners in the Pleasure are certainly aware of what goes on “above.” It has its share of matrons who choose to ignore that “regrettable” side of things, but its clientele is dominated by swingers (think Oscar Wilde or P.G. Wodehouse flapper-era [but without the twits] sophistication, only almost entirely sexually “straight”) who enjoy flirtation over a light meal where they won’t be rushed, and then “some fun upstairs.”
A few pimps and spymasters regularly pose as this sort of client in order to meet with “their girls,” to talk over assignments and exchange pay.
The Purple Lady is not a dance-house or a venue for brawls or gambling; the staff firmly usher out anyone openly trying to engage in any of the three. The Lady is no longer a tavern per se, although its diners and occupants of the rooms above consume prodigious amounts of drink.

So saith Ed. Third bit next time, Kuje: Ed tells you about the founding and current staff of the Lady. We’re both awaiting your story, by the way.
love,
THO
P.S. Ed says there's movement on the Castlemorn front (but he can add NOTHING more, yet).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  01:52:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Third bit next time, Kuje: Ed tells you about the founding and current staff of the Lady. We’re both awaiting your story, by the way.

:) Have to do some editing to it after reading this essay. :) But I left parts about this place open enough that it doesn't change the tale to much. :) Thanks again for the replies, and I'm looking forward to parts 3 and 4.

Now I just have to sit down and work on the rest as well.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000