Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Author's forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  18:21:40  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since many of you visit these forums, hopefully they will give all of you a chance to communicate a bit more frequently.
In the same vein, have any of you ever gone out of your way to ask another author permission to use one of their characters, even if briefly, or to ask a question regarding a character, place, or other general question?

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  02:02:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Elaine and others, contact among authors is dependent upon situations, friendships, projects, and time. I had many occasions and excuses while working at TSR/WotC to call various authors with whom I'd made some personal connections, but after 5 years on the outside and only one GenCon appearance since 2000, I'm woefully out of touch with lots of people.

Hoping to amend this in 2005 by shambling down Indiannapolis way, but that's all pie-in-the-sky right now, as much as I'd love to go hoist a pint or seven with Ed, Elaine, Thomas, and any others (`cause I know Jim Lowder and others I know are lurking out there).

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  02:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Since many of you visit these forums, hopefully they will give all of you a chance to communicate a bit more frequently.
In the same vein, have any of you ever gone out of your way to ask another author permission to use one of their characters, even if briefly, or to ask a question regarding a character, place, or other general question?

In my mind, any character named in the Old Grey Box was one of Ed's, regardless of who quarter-backed the character in the mean time. Thus, Ed's one of the authors I've had the most contact with as a TSR wage slave and beyond. No slight to other authors, but it just happens that way. (Oh, and Jeff Grubb, but then we were next-door neighbors for 7 years and coworkers for 10, so there it is...)

No matter what kind of FR project I've worked on, I've always talked with Ed about his takes on characters, situations, etc., and gotten his go-ahead to use characters or change them in certain situations (i.e. what I've done over the years with Khelben, especially in Cloak & Dagger). I technically never had to do this, but it's a respect thing, he's the father of the Realms, and any time spent talking with Ed always brightens my little corner of the world.

With other characters and other book authors, I'd sometimes find places where we'd need to check with an author or two to coordinate information from a novel into a game product, but unless I'd had a good personal rapport with the author already, I tended to send such requests through Book Department to keep them in the loop.

Steven
Who would have checked with Dan Mishkin on placing his AD&D characters into Lands of Intrigue, but I've never met him nor talked to him, alas...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  02:23:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, know that Ed never speaks of you with anything other than fond respect, when we sit around over green tea, outside the time devoted to actual play, and 'talk Realms.'
Ed loves "talking Realms" with many of the creators, and tells us this is his REAL reward for unleashing the Realms upon a wider world.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  05:28:44  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

GenCon is usually a good place to meet new people and hang out with old friends, but I'm not sure how long that will continue to be a viable option. For one thing, there's two of them now, which splits up the guestlist a tad. Also, there seems to be less and less emphasis on books. Last year was a new low.

I wonder how much of this was due to Mary Kirchoff's awareness that she was going to retire soon? Even though she hadn't made it public knowledge, I bet she had some sense in her own mind that she was close to doing so, and though it might be a reach, the new low you speak of could have been some of the fallout of that impending decision. I didn't get to GC Indy last year; I wasn't "invited." By that, I mean the book department didn't schedule me a signing booth time slot. I didn't take it personally, as I was about as between books as I could be at the moment, and there were other authors who had very current releases. Still, I was disappointed, but it sounds like I didn't miss much.

quote:
Continuing in that vein, I'd be interested to know who's planning to attend GenCon Indie this summer. I'll probably be there, since the Waterdeep book is a GenCon release. Anyone else?

I will have had an entire trilogy put into circulation since my last visit by the time the show rolls around this year, so I am planning on it. And inevitably, when you get that many FR authors together in one place, we can't resist the chance to gather over drinks in the evenings and pow wow, so two good reasons to show up.

To answer the question about asking permission before using another author's characters, a lot of it depends on the product. If I'm writing a game supplement, I might just go with previous renditions and my own knowledge of the character. But if I were thinking of including a character in a novel, I would absolutely make the connection and talk to the author, and probably run the initial draft by him/her, too. I want that author to enjoy my story as much as I want any fan out there to, and if I'm not presenting one of his/her "babies" in the right light, I'm not doing my job.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com

Edited by - Thomas M. Reid on 03 Feb 2005 18:03:01
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  18:29:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomas, I have no way of judging how much Mary Kirchoff's impending departure had to do with the book department's involvement in GenCon, other than observing that her responsibilities included games as well as books.

I do think that Lezlie Samuel's departure just before GenCon had an impact. And for several months preceding that, there seems to have been a revolving door on the promotions department. Plans for GenCon were postponed, moved from desk to desk, and in general very hard to pin down.

Which created a bit of a personal SNAFA. In the past, TST/WotC usually started informing authors of GenCon plans in February. I was in contact with Lezlie several times between February and her departure, and she repeatedly stressed that I'd be "on the list" of people WotC definitely wanted at GenCon 2004. So I made travel plans. When I passed my schedule on to the person who at the time was handling such things, I was informed that book signings would be available only for those who had new projects. Um, okay.... Like Thomas, I wouldn't have had a problem with not being "invited," but because of mixed messages, I ended up buying three non-refundable airline tickets. Ouch. There was absolutely no practical, business-related reason for me to attend, but I wasn't going to toss out the airfare, so I came anyway in my capacity as parental banker. Since I was already planning to be there, the folks at WotC squeezed in a Sunday morning signing.

In my observation, the decline of books at GenCon involves a lot of factors. When I first started attending, both GenCon and TSR were located in Wisconin. It was a lot easier for TSR to schlepp product and staff to the con. The company moved to Seattle, and the con moved to Indianapolis. Higher travel and shipping costs. Also, TSR (and for a while thereafter, WotC) owned GenCon. That's no longer the case. To further complicate matters, there are now TWO GenCons in the US, which spreads resources (and author guests) more thinly.

I can see a couple of additional reasons for the lack of book-related (or at least, FR-related) events. Emphasis last year was on the big 30th anniversary D&D party, and the reception to commererate Margaret Weis's 25 years in fantasy. Both are landmark events, well worth noting. I'm not complaining about the allocation, mind you, just pointing out that time and resources were focused on other things.

Also, some of the FR seminars were getting pretty stale. The same people seemed to come year after year, to ask the same questions and hear the same evasive, coy answers. Let's face it--there's only so much info WotC and freelancers can give out concerning upcoming projects. There isn't much sense in having seminars entitled "What's New in the Forgotten Realms" if the answer is invariably "We Can't Tell You."

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 22 Jan 2005 18:32:37
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  01:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All very good points, Elaine. I hadn't realized Lezlie had also departed, and her absence certainly would have had a noticable impact. That's disappointing; I always liked Lezlie and she will be missed.

I want to turn this question around for a moment. I'd like to hear from fans who traditionally show up at Gen Con Indy; what FR activities, other than actual game slots, draw your biggest interest at the show? Is it the seminars? The book signing sessions? Ed Greenwood cracking wise in a way that only Ed can? If such activities went away, would you still come to the show?

I'm just curious, mind you; I'm not in any way advocating or hoping that the attention to the Realms slacks off. I just wonder how much of a difference they make (and yes, I understand I'm sampling a pretty specific subset of the Gen Con attendees by asking this in an FR forum, but humor me).

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  02:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mister Reid, I have to say that “Ed Greenwood cracking wise” is a HUGE part of Gencon for me, and always has been.
Not just for the Realms news and hints, and not just for him playing Elminster (though I must say no one ever seems to fully appreciate that this guy gets up in costume and does an hour and a half, or however long the seminar is, as in-character improv, and usually manages to sound very witty at least thrice; I mean, it’s an acting feat), but for the way he always makes everything feel FUN.
He’s always hugging old friends and picking up on conversations from a year ago and buying things for kids who’ve run out of cash and going to dinner or for drinks with people, just to ‘hang out.’
For me, it always feels like we’re still at the Wisconsin Parkside campus, and the Realms is this bright new thing, and this guy with glasses and a beard is saying, “Hey, just wait’ll you see what’s coming out NEXT!” one minute, and then in the next asking “So what do YOU want, in the Realms?” and actually taking note of what this gamer, or the guy standing beside me, or the guy down the hall apiece, says.
When I see Ed at Gencon, I think “high school reunion” and never “trade show.”
Of course I go to see and talk to other Realms authors, especially the new ones. And of course I go to see and buy gaming stuff I’ll never see at home. I’m not a competitive tournament gamer type, and I don’t have endless cash.
But when I get home, I often find myself remembering Ed at the Spin A Yarn sessions (poor Mary-Elizabeth! she should get medals!) or on some panel, and grinning, and thinking . . . yup, that was another good Gencon.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  06:59:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't know how jealous I am reading all this - one of my dreams is to get to a GEN-CON - one day - before WotC pull the plug on the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  13:20:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You don't know how jealous I am reading all this - one of my dreams is to get to a GEN-CON - one day - before WotC pull the plug on the Realms.

-- George Krashos

Ditto that. GenCon is something I should very much like to attend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  15:01:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep--Ed is definitely the spirit of GenCon. I love the observation that he makes the Realms seem like a "bright new thing." Perfect summation.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  18:45:46  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what is everyone working on at the moment?

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  23:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a redesign for my website. After that, it's on to my own novel. No FR projects on the plate for now.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  16:30:21  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Copied from my online writing journal:

FEBRUARY
1) Finish revising Shadows in the Starlight
2) Finish the first draft of The Blood-Red Harp(EverQuest novel)
3) Revise "Raven," a short story accepted for Modern Magic
4) Write "Built to Last," a short story to submit for consideration in a pulp fiction anthology

March is also pretty hectic, with the main tasks being:

1) Write "Game of Chance," a short story for Dragon Magazine.
2) Write an article about the Waterdeep bard college for Dragon
3) Attend Steller Con in North Caroline, March 11-13.
4) Revise "Built to Last"
5) Resume work on Eizabeth's Heir, a historical novel

In April, I plan to work primarily on Elizabeth's Heir, and begin "Tree of Souls" a novella for Realms of the Elves, the next FR anthology. I'm not sure when the revisions for Blood-Red Harp will fit into the picture, but that will probably be in April. The novella is due on May 16, so that accounts for the first part of May.

The summer is still a bit nebulous. I'm going to finish Elizabeth's Heir before starting a new project. After that, I'm not sure. I might work on the sequel, or start revisions on a fantasy novel based in Russian history and slavic mythology. The folks are WotC are currently working on plans for 2007, and by late summer I should have a better idea of future directions there.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2005 :  19:07:32  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms of the Elves!? The only thing that could be better is an anthology titled Realms of the Dwarves!!!
Good to see they got the authority on elves to submit a story for it. Guess I better get started submitting for when they decide to do a dwarven anthology.

Go to Top of Page

LaughingWizard
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  00:02:50  Show Profile  Visit LaughingWizard's Homepage Send LaughingWizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met again, to one and all!
The advice in this thread is invaluable. I've got a new question regarding short stories vs. novels. I've had a particular plot line dancing around in my head for many years now that needs to be written. The problem is, I can't decide whether to use elements of it in short stories that would mainly highlight the characters, and how they "grow" (I firmly believe that well-developed characters drive good fiction) or to flesh out the setting and write a novel(s). I believe it is this inner conflict that keeps me frozen when I sit down to write!

I could do either one very easily. I have all the material and characters, plot and all. My desire to get it written quickly leads me down the short story/novella path but at the same time I feel as if I'd be wasting a great opportunity.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this: What is the crossover point? How do you all decide whether to keep it short, or go long? I look forward to hearing from you all! Wiz in the Northlands.

A woman, or a man, may come to hold many treasures in life. Gold, gems, a good name, lovers, good friends, influence, high rank--all of these are of value. All of these most covet. But of them all the most valuable, I tell ye, are friends good and true. Have these, and ye will scarce notice the lack if ye never win aught else."

The adventuress Sharanralee, Ballads and Lore of One Dusty Road, Year of the Wandering Maiden
From Spellfire by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  00:22:40  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try making a fairly detailed outline of the story. If you get more than 10 pages, you should probably consider a novel. Or you could just start writing and see where it takes you. The one con to that is, while you may have enough material for a novel, you may end up wandering and weaving around the plot enough that you don't have a strong, cohesive story any longer.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  18:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

Try making a fairly detailed outline of the story. If you get more than 10 pages, you should probably consider a novel. Or you could just start writing and see where it takes you. The one con to that is, while you may have enough material for a novel, you may end up wandering and weaving around the plot enough that you don't have a strong, cohesive story any longer.

I'm a big fan of "start writing," and see where it takes you. All the papers I wrote all throughout college were like that (somewhat to my chagrin at times), and fiction has turned out the same way. I also like the concept of the "post-first draft outline," which is where you hammer out your ideas in a first draft, then produce an outline for it as befits your piece.

The danger, of course, is that you might fall somewhere between a short story and a novel -- say, 50,000 words; way too long for a short, way too short for a long. So you've got a novella, which isn't so bad. And in my experience, it's easier to turn a novella into a novel than to turn a novella into a short story.

But Kameron's right: generally, any reasonably complete outline for a novel is several pages long, 10 or more. Some people do shorter outlines and still produce the same work. My outline for Ghostwalker was, if I remember correctly, ended up only 5 singlespaced pages, and it was really bare bones, not a lot of development at all.

db

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  18:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, people have said a great deal in this thread. I guess I'll just weigh in on a few points.

Outlining / keeping the story fresh:

I used to write everything from the standpoint of not knowing how it would end. Yes, I'd have a general idea, but I didn't know at all how I was going to handle the ending, and as I went I would get new ideas about twists and turns that should be reflected when it came time for climax. A couple of major, MAJOR twists in Ghostwalker only came up during the writing process (thought them up in about chapter 10). Thankfully, they didn't alter the basic story or radically change the ending, and my editor was quite fine with them.

There's something to be said for this kind of writing style. It keeps you involved in the story, and keeps you guessing, just like your reader will be. It helps maintain intensity. One little downside, of course, is when you're telling family and friends about the awesome scene you just wrote, and they ask, "so what happens next?" and you have to reply, "I don't know. Haven't written it yet."

I find that this strategy (writing without an outline or an ending), however, has the unfortunate effect of skewing your length. Several times, I've started a novel in my spare time, without a sure concept of how it's going to end, and without an outline, and it stretches to some length before I've got it finished. I finish what I start, almost always, but it can take totally unexpected twists and turns and seem a little scattered. My Realms stuff, however, has been carefully thought out and outlined, and I find that it imposes a little welcome ordering on the writing process.

So I would recommend an outline, but I'd also recommend allowing it to shift from time to time to accomodate new ideas that come up as you're writing.

Chapter length / transitions / cliffhangers:

I'll let you guys in on what I call a shameless, "dirty trick," one that is stolen from modern thriller novels. It's not a big secret, of course -- you want some examples of the trick, pick up a Dan Brown novel.

The trick? End every chapter with a cliffhanger.

Even better, end every SECTION with a cliffhanger.

Then shift over to another plotline, then end THAT with a cliffhanger, before you shift back to the former plotline, cliffhanger, repeat. It keeps the reader guessing and turning the pages, because hopefully you've instilled anxiety in the reader and he/she REALLY wants to know what happens after the cliffhanger, finds another source of anxiety, before the first is answered, and. . . well, you get the picture.

Now, I wouldn't advise going all out on this sort of thing. First off, it's unbalancing and heavy-handed. Second, it's cheap, to an extent. And third, it's just cruel to the reader. The reader needs to be able to put the book down every so often (maybe once an hour, for bathroom breaks, and once every four or five, for food).

Not to mention that reading an emotionally intense novel can be incredibly draining to a reader. Look at RAS's Demonwars, for instance. I had to take a break of about a month between each book. And Martin -- don't get me started on Martin. The man's a fabulous writer, yes, I agree, but I've had to take almost a year's break between books, just because his story was so intense and good.

Projects I'm working on now (to answer Hammer):

My Realms of the Elves story, "The Greater Treasure." First draft done, more or less. Quite honored to be in an anthology so appropriately dominated by Elaine!

A secretive novel of my own, as is usually the case (eventual publication? I certainly hope so!)

A novel proposal or two (also quite secretive).

And, of course, work.

db

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  00:36:06  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

I take the easy way out and use a name generator. EBoN (Everchanging Book of Names) is my personal preference. It even has an FR chapter. I'll typically generate 20 or so names until I find one that fits the character idea/portrait in my head. That's not to say I don't come up with names on my own, but more times than not, this saves me from getting stuck trying to come up with something and lets me concentrate on writing.

He, he. Same here, actually. Though often, if I know the area I'm working in has a certain flavor (ex: Calimshan=Arabia), I'll go to a good site of name meanings and use one. My favorite one is now, sadly, defunct, but I have a copied list for my own personal use from the early days.

As for chapters, I usually try for a certain number of words and then carry on with whatever needs to be said. You know, Terry Pratchett completely forgoes the use of chapters, and it leads to a book that you can't put down. In his case, I have a break whenever I get to a paragraph that finishes on the bottom of a page.

Outlines... bane of my non-existent writing career... (really, I don't actually write for profit). I find that the spontaneous thing works fairly well, but I do like the basic outline. Nothing I do without an outline ends up finished. It's not writer's block; what it is is not planning ahead.

On titles: One of my pet peeves are books that start with 'The.' While there have been some great books with 'The' in them ('The' Magehound springs to mind), it just really irks me. I NEVER do any writing with a title containing 'The' as the first word. (Books that have 'the' in the middle are okay, so long as it isn't 'of the.' That's starting to irritate me now, too).

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.

Edited by - Smyther on 11 Mar 2005 00:50:24
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  03:29:12  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, what is everyone working on now?
We have the Dungeon series that Erik and Jaleigh are writing books for, and Citadels about the same time.
Current or future, what else is coming up for our esteemed authors?

Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  20:36:32  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So, what is everyone working on now?
We have the Dungeon series that Erik and Jaleigh are writing books for, and Citadels about the same time.
Current or future, what else is coming up for our esteemed authors?

Well, I'm 1)waiting on word of my latest proposal (NDA I'm afraid, sorry!), 2)finishing up edits on the final copy for Bloodwalk and 3)working on a trilogy set in my own twisted little world (hopefully for WOTC's new speculative fiction line on the advice of my editor, no promises and we'll see how it goes!).
So in that order: 1)Biting my fingernails and pacing, 2)enjoying the satisfaction of completion and 3)tackling the first literary foes of a new work in progress. Gotta' stay busy to keep the gears from rusting.

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2005 :  21:21:47  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im writing a novel how should I go about getting it published when Im finished?

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

LaughingWizard
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  12:02:02  Show Profile  Visit LaughingWizard's Homepage Send LaughingWizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met!
One good way to get started on the road to "published" is to pick up a copy of the current Writer's Market published by Writer's Digest Books. It has a fairly extensive listing of publishing houses in all fields and contains many helpful hints as to what each specific publisher is looking for. You should be able to pick up or order a copy in any bookstore, or go to the Writer's Digest Book Club web site. Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Until Next, Wiz

A woman, or a man, may come to hold many treasures in life. Gold, gems, a good name, lovers, good friends, influence, high rank--all of these are of value. All of these most covet. But of them all the most valuable, I tell ye, are friends good and true. Have these, and ye will scarce notice the lack if ye never win aught else."

The adventuress Sharanralee, Ballads and Lore of One Dusty Road, Year of the Wandering Maiden
From Spellfire by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  16:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TTS: Wiz's advice is good. Let me simply add that Writer's Digest Books publishes many excellent books on the subject of how to write well and get published, and it might well behoove you to check them out. It's really such a broad, complicated subject that it would be hard for anyone to cover it comprehensively in a forum like this.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  01:47:46  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Ill do that.

Oh and can I write a novel for the FR series?

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Aug 2005 02:21:14
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  18:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

Okay Ill do that.

Oh and can I write a novel for the FR series?

You'd need to take that up with WotC Publishing. They're not currently accepting FR proposals, to my knowledge, but you might look into their independent fiction line (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/resources). That could be fantasy, scifi, horror, alternate history, magic realism, or any combination.

As for FR novels, I think WotC prefers to do Open Calls (like they did for Maiden of Pain), because the Realms books up fairly quickly. Even if one doesn't win an open call, though, Wizards keeps a sharp eye for talent.

Good luck!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  03:21:33  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanna do a series in the Underdark. There isn't many of those and a story has already formed in my head.

Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  03:53:13  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh man I have to be over 18 to make a proposal. Is there anyway around that? I really wanna right a novel for them and I believe I can do a really good novel for them. I already have the story completed in my head.

Edited by - The Twin Scimitars on 27 Aug 2005 03:53:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  06:29:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

Oh man I have to be over 18 to make a proposal. Is there anyway around that? I really wanna right a novel for them and I believe I can do a really good novel for them. I already have the story completed in my head.

Probably not. You can't really enter into a legal agreement before you're 18.

So, in the meantime, read a lot, and write a lot. It'll only help you out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000