Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Question about Lost Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  06:17:53  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm thinking about cracking those open and I was wondering if they had anything to do with eachother? If they don't, then I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  03:54:46  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the absolute no reply in 5 days but 38 people reading, I take it no one has read..

The Lost Library of Cormanthyr
Faces of Deception
Star of Cursrah
The Nether Scroll

And can offer any insight.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  04:07:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read the "Lost Library of Cormanthyr" and "The Nether Scroll". Of the two, I enjoyed the second one more as it seemed more tied in with the setting. In saying this, my own personal definition of a "good FR novel" usually relates more to the FR information provided and staying true to the setting/sources than 'X was such a great character' or 'I really felt the pathos when X had to leave Y'-type FR novel experiences.

I have to re-read "Lost Library" as I can't recall much about it to be honest. That may indicate my level of satisfaction with it, or it could be that I just haven't got around to it. Mel Odom usually writes decent FR novels however (I enjoyed his "Threat From the Sea" stuff), so I'd give both "Lost Library" and "The Nether Scroll" a go.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  18:07:33  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read all of the above and generally they're all separate stories. As far as Library and Nether goes, it's a sort of fifty-fifty for me. Nether had slightly more spark imo.
Of the others, I'd recommend Star of Cursrah. It has a very intriguing and tragic historical story dealing with Calimshan's past, funny too in few situations.
Faces of Deception is generally interesting, considering there's a half-ogre as a main character. There are many interesting and annoying situations in the story but few things toward the end left something to be desired, at least for me. Someone else may think differently.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  00:17:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

I've read all of the above and generally they're all separate stories. As far as Library and Nether goes, it's a sort of fifty-fifty for me. Nether had slightly more spark imo.
Of the others, I'd recommend Star of Cursrah. It has a very intriguing and tragic historical story dealing with Calimshan's past, funny too in few situations.
Faces of Deception is generally interesting, considering there's a half-ogre as a main character. There are many interesting and annoying situations in the story but few things toward the end left something to be desired, at least for me. Someone else may think differently.

I didn't care for Faces of Deception, either... It was one of those that when I got done reading it, I was like "what was the point of that?" Star of Cursrah was an intriguing read, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  16:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

But the absolute no reply in 5 days but 38 people reading, I take it no one has read..

Faces of Deception
Star of Cursrah
The Nether Scroll

And can offer any insight.

The Lost Library of Cormanthyr is my favorite.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  23:12:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read all of those books, but it's been quite some time since I did so. Of the lot listed, I liked Star of Cursrah best. As I recall, the books have nothing to do with each other. But don't quote me on that, as it's been at least 18 months since I read any of them.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  23:36:04  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a lot of diversity. I planned on reading The Lost Library of Cormanthyr and The Nether Scroll first. I wonder about the other two now. :)

Oh well, have to finish the Finder trilogy first. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  03:15:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like a lot of diversity. I planned on reading The Lost Library of Cormanthyr and The Nether Scroll first. I wonder about the other two now. :)

Oh well, have to finish the Finder trilogy first. :)

Ah, now that is an excellent trilogy! 'Tis one of my faves!

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  17:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read both The Nether Scroll and Star of Cursrah but not for a couple of years. Both were reasonable reads I seem to recall and they had nothing to do with each other.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  15:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also thinking about bursting these novels open, i'm coming to the end of my FR novel reading backlog and am pondering over what series\novels to read in the foreseeable future.

I'd be interested to hear in which order of preference these novels lie.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  06:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The order of preference for Lost Empires books is as listed in SirUrza's second post. It's the exact order they were released.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  16:05:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

The order of preference for Lost Empires books is as listed in SirUrza's second post. It's the exact order they were released.

But since the books are not related, they can be read in any order...

Going strictly from memory, here's the order I'd read them in:

Star of Cursrah
The Nether Scroll
Faces of Deception (this one I'd only read if you want to read all of them... I seriously disliked this one)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  04:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm thinking about cracking those open and I was wondering if they had anything to do with eachother? If they don't, then I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations?

Star of Cursrah
The Nether Scroll
Faces of Deception

I've only read Star of Cursrah from beginning to end, and I found it okay, but I wouldn't want to read it at least once every year hereafter.

I skimmed The Nether Scroll and found a few passages which interested me.

I'm not sure if I have ever actually handled Faces of Deception, but it hasn't "spoken to my condition" on Amazon.

The Lost Library of Cormanthyr is on my Amazon wish list. Some day I may actually buy it! I haven't been able to get into other Mel Odom book's I've sampled, but I hope that my interest in the Realms will suffice to carry me through this, even if it wouldn't otherwise be my cuppa joe.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  04:50:11  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As most of the above I have read The Nether Scroll and The Lost Library of Cormanthyr. I liked both of them but lean toward The Nether Scroll even though I was such a n00b when I read it that I had no idea what the Nether Scroll was( I feel so ignorant now). I had a few problems with The Lost Library of Cormanthyr, but that was just my feelings on some of the subjects presented. Both were really well written IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  05:43:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandhrune

I was such a n00b when I read it that I had no idea what the Nether Scroll was( I feel so ignorant now).

Don't feel bad -- we all had to start from scratch some time.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  06:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Among the four books, I prefer the Nether Scroll and The Lost Library of Cormanthyr, for they are well written and exciting. The star of cursrah well...not too in my favor for there are alot of things I still do not understand about the book.
Faces of Deception is still okay...in my opinion.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  08:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lost Library of Cormanthyr is by far the best novel in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Star of Cursrah is a nice flashback style tragic tale, definately worth a read.

Faces of Deception was great. It was a good paced novel with a sudden ending, but I think that made it and it was a nice change.

I wasn't impressed by The Nether Scroll at all. I found it quite bland and fizzled out terribly.

Overall, its a nice series and certainly worth spending some time with.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  03:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have recently read Lost Library of Cormanthyr and Faces of Deception. LLOC was a good read. So was FOD, but much of it didn't feel much realmsian and I also got a feeling of WTF at the end.

I'm looking forward to reading The Nether Scrolls, due to my fascination with all things Netherese. Star of Cursrah looks like it will be a good read, but I can't say for sure if it is since I have not read it yet.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  12:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lost Library of Cormanthyr is well written. It`s just like Indiana Jones met Forgotten Realms. A good story to remember.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  03:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

The Lost Library of Cormanthyr is well written. It`s just like Indiana Jones met Forgotten Realms. A good story to remember.

Aye, true. Certainly one of the best first Novels of FR written by Mel Odom.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  21:53:06  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read both the "Nether Scroll" and "Faces of Deception" and was rathered disappointed in both. I'll leave it at that.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  18:05:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

I've read both the "Nether Scroll" and "Faces of Deception" and was rathered disappointed in both. I'll leave it at that.

Well I felt Nether Scroll to be the weakest, by far. I'd highly recommend Lost Library though.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  02:26:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Well I felt Nether Scroll to be the weakest, by far. I'd highly recommend Lost Library though.

I'll second Rad on that. Lost Library was definitely a particular favorite for me among the novels of the 'Lost Empires' series.

What I enjoyed specifically was the 'archaeologist' aspect to the main character. It's not something that is often focused on in the Realms, especially with all the history Faerun has.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  04:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll second Rad on that. Lost Library was definitely a particular favorite for me among the novels of the 'Lost Empires' series.

What I enjoyed specifically was the 'archaeologist' aspect to the main character. It's not something that is often focused on in the Realms, especially with all the history Faerun has.

You've convinced me to read it. I have wondered for some time now what role archaeologists have in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  07:35:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You've convinced me to read it. I have wondered for some time now what role archaeologists have in the Realms.

Maybe to keep the history of the Realms updated and to let everyone in the Realms know their cultural and racial backgrounds and origins. Of course, some archaeologists like some mages in the Realms seek to recover some item of power for themselves but often put their lives on the line when seeking such stuff. Either they die trying looking for a ancient site or were executed by some who do not like their presence such as the Shadovar now excavating some of the ancient Netheril Sites.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  15:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I have now begun reading The Nether Scroll. I read all the others. Finished Star of Cursrah yesterday. That was a really good read. I jumped into Empires of the Shining Sea (2E sourcebook on Calimshan) to see if there was any mention of Cursrah. There isn't, but at least from the story in the novel that makes sense.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  19:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Well I have now begun reading The Nether Scroll. I read all the others. Finished Star of Cursrah yesterday. That was a really good read. I jumped into Empires of the Shining Sea (2E sourcebook on Calimshan) to see if there was any mention of Cursrah. There isn't, but at least from the story in the novel that makes sense.

One of the things I really enjoy about Forgotten Realms is the vast range of tantalizing tidbits of lore scattered through the products. Someone or something or some event mentioned a single time may have a novel's worth of associated history, but that history isn't always revealed.

I would love to see an Encyclopedia Toriliana some day. It ain't gonna happen, but still....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000