Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned game designer of the Realms, namely - Steven Schend. Steven worked at TSR\WotC from 1990-2000 and has a vast array of products to his name. The top few being: Ruins of Undermountain (editor), City of Splendors (editor/developer/designer), Lands of Intrigue (designer), Cormanthyr/Fall of Myth Drannor (designer) and
Sea of Fallen Stars (designer)

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:30:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the esteemed Sage Schend finally gets his own scroll. Coo!

Of course, I've no questions at the moment... I've developed the bad habit of simply e-mailing him with any questions I may have. Now I have to stop doing that... Way to go, Big Al!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  08:12:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a wonderful idea .

At least now, I can better organise my archives which contain the relevant tidbits the various Realms Sages have posted here and there in Candlekeep from time to time.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jan 2005 08:13:39
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  15:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to be here and to have a place of my very own, so to speak.

Now where to put the recliner, the side table with the scotch decanter, and the beer fridge?

Thanks to Alaundo (and to Wooly and Sage, my erstwhile house-warmers before I even got here) for the scroll. Looking forward to answering any and all questions Realmsloric in nature here.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  16:10:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you would want the recliner near the fireplace, which contains magical fire that provides light and heat but does not burn scrolls.

Now perhaps something you might answer for me.

It has been said the Drow are equal in number to all Elves on the surface, this might be a Greyhawk claim and certainly from a prior edition.

This though leads to the question of Drow fertility, compared to other elves. The Drow clearly have larger families then most other elves (9 Drow children of often reported and larest Elven children I recall seeing was 5 and that appears to be rare). Which leads to the question how much faster do Drow proporgate thier race then other races What are the estimated populations of all Elven races?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  16:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Perhaps you would want the recliner near the fireplace, which contains magical fire that provides light and heat but does not burn scrolls.

Now perhaps something you might answer for me.

It has been said the Drow are equal in number to all Elves on the surface, this might be a Greyhawk claim and certainly from a prior edition.

Don't know where that factoid comes from either, but it's certainly feasible. No reason why the dark elves wouldn't be as populous as any elven subrace, aside from all the purple worms, mind flayers, derro, ad nauseum threats of the Underdark.

quote:

This though leads to the question of Drow fertility, compared to other elves. The Drow clearly have larger families then most other elves (9 Drow children of often reported and larest Elven children I recall seeing was 5 and that appears to be rare). Which leads to the question how much faster do Drow proporgate thier race then other races What are the estimated populations of all Elven races?

To quote Laeral, who whispered this response in my ear just now, "They propogate no faster than any other race on or under Faerun, but they do tend toward preferring foreplay more than most."

It's my Opinion (as a mere freelancer) that drow may have larger families intially for the same reason it was the norm in past ages on our planet--life expectancy sucks, you assume that you'll lose half of your progeny before the age of maturity, and you want to ensure you have heirs. Now, if there's something that protects and keeps alive more heirs/children than a House/family would need, that's something that might need to be addressed. Given all the holy wars and monsters and constant feuds among the drow, maybe what is more accurately needed is a list of a family's dead?

I've never been one to think overmuch on the drow, but here's my guess/take (and probably a house rule/home brew interpretation): Yes, drow families tend to have what seem to be overly large amounts of children. When they reach a certain age (not of majority, but adolescence), they are sent out into the Underdark to test their mettle, see if they can survive beyond the family's protection, etc. Those that survive move up in the family, having past the first of many gauntlets/"trials of the fittest" in their lives. For the drow, death is a constant and looming presence, rather than the long lives of relative peace available for surface elves.

I've no solid answers on estimated populations, as I was never one for concrete numbers or "door-locking" answers (i.e. this answer shuts the door on other options). I'd recommend a thorough reading of Races of Faerun and Underdark for any and all "facts" on this topic.

Hope this helped, Kentinal.

Steven
Who hasn't thought this much about drow since scribbling the history of their machinations beneath the Empires of the Shining Sea

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  00:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been out of the loop for a while so I apologize if this has been asked many times before.

Steven, what have you been working on since your last Realms product was published? I read a short story of yours in a Realms anthology as few years back. Do you have aspirations as a novelist? When are you going to come back to the Realms?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  01:01:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

When are you going to come back to the Realms?

That's the one I'm most interested in, too.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  13:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Steven, what have you been working on since your last Realms product was published?

Sheesh. Since I've spent so much time lately reconfiguring my resume et al for job hunting, it's easier to block copy what I've been up to from there. Bear in mind that I left WotC at the end of March in 2000.

Editing/Development Work
* Various proofreading & copyediting jobs for Loompanics Unlimited, 2003
* Faeries, initial concept breakdowns & editing on supplement for D20 game systems, Bastion Press, 2002/2003
* Time of Crisis, adventure for Mutants & Masterminds d20 game campaign, Green Ronin, 2002/2003
* Freedom City, supplement for Mutants & Masterminds d20 game campaign, Green Ronin, 2002
* “Waters of Akaya,” online d20 adventure for the Oathbound campaign, Bastion Press, 2002
* “Legacy of Akhirat,” online d20 adventure for the Oathbound campaign, Bastion Press, 2002
* Oathbound, campaign accessory and supplement for d20 game systems, Bastion Press, 2002
* Assassins, supplement for d20 game systems, Green Ronin, 2002

Writing/Design Work
* “An Atog Comes to Aphetto,” short story for the anthology Monsters of MAGIC, 2002 (published in 2003)
* “Of Protectors & Pride,” short story for the anthology Dragons of MAGIC, 2000 (published in 2001)
* Foes of Freedom, supplement for MUTANTS AND MASTERMINDS game system, codesign by Steve Kenson, Green Ronin, 2003/2004
* Mutants & Masterminds Annual #1, supplement for MUTANTS AND MASTERMINDS game system, codesign by various other authors, Green Ronin, 2003/2004
* D20 Guide to Alchemy & Herbalism, supplement for d20 game systems, Bastion Press, 2002
* Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghosts, d20 game supplement, minor co-design for Green Ronin Press, 2001
* DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Movie Board game, (never edited or produced due to movie delays), 2000
* The Externals, ALTERNITY online supplement for STAR*DRIVE campaign, 1999/2000
* Alien Compendium II, ALTERNITY supplement for STAR*DRIVE campaign, codesign by William Connors & J.D. Wiker, 1999
* System Guide to Aegis, ALTERNITY supplement for STAR*DRIVE campaign, codesign by William Connors, 1999

quote:
I read a short story of yours in a Realms anthology as few years back. Do you have aspirations as a novelist? When are you going to come back to the Realms?

Aspirations? Of course. I'm currently juggling my job hunting time with developing two fantasy worlds and writing three novels (all of which I've been working on for anywhere from one to five years). Alas, my problem seems to be finishing things, so I'm refocusing efforts on one novel to get it done and submitted with many hopes by end of February if not sooner.

I came back to the Realms when I joined this group last year, eh? When am I coming back as an in-print and semi-official voice of the Realms? Tymora only knows...<shrug>

SES

Edited by - Steven Schend on 28 Jan 2005 14:03:09
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  13:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'll come back when I see a cover that shows Laeral in a wet t-shirt proclaiming "Come Back to Waterdeep!"

Steven
Who hopes that anyone growing up in the late 70s/early 80s gets the reference

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  14:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

I'll come back when I see a cover that shows Laeral in a wet t-shirt proclaiming "Come Back to Waterdeep!"

Steven
Who hopes that anyone growing up in the late 70s/early 80s gets the reference

Hey, get in line!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  15:28:40  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I guess Alaundo wants to see her first.
Sorry Steven, you'll have to line up I guess.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  16:11:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

* Alien Compendium II, ALTERNITY supplement for STAR*DRIVE campaign, codesign by William Connors & J.D. Wiker, 1999
* System Guide to Aegis, ALTERNITY supplement for STAR*DRIVE campaign, codesign by William Connors, 1999

It's not just because you either wrote these tomes or designed them (okay, maybe it is ), but these are among my top five favorite SD sourcebooks. The Externals especially, as it carried the setting forward and laid the foundations for my series of adventures based around the next campaign year of 2506.

Good stuff .

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  16:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

It's not just because you either wrote these tomes or designed them (okay, maybe it is ), but these are among my top five favorite SD sourcebooks. The Externals especially, as it carried the setting forward and laid the foundations for my series of adventures based around the next campaign year of 2506.
Good stuff .

Thanks very much. Just wish I'd been able to see the final Externals product on Externals, as the links I was sent never worked for me and thus I never got to see the edited/completed version of that. What sketches I saw of the External races (and the League etc.) were pretty good; wonder if they ever did the illo showing a human undergoing that transformation into the nanomachine hordes I can't recall the names of right now?

And to drag this back a tiny bit into Realms relevance, I set up the Gardahyi Technarchy in a way similar to how I saw parts of Netheril--the history and "what it's really like there" entirely depends upon whom you ask. The idea that an empire split up and abandoned space travel and used teleportals to blip across their space empire and left space/sky to their robot/android creations is similar to Netheril (or perhaps Shoon) as seeing certain methods of magic or mundane travel as "beneath them."
Thus, you can get the images of totally different visions of the Shoon Imperium--the "nobility" embraced whatever magics were favored by the Qysar and abhorred what wasn't popular, creating odd pockets of expansion in some schools but not in others (a loophole some say was exploited by the Strohms in the overthrow).

Same goes for Netheril if you divorce the sky-cities and their mages from the equation, looking at the guys on the ground. Eric Boyd started me on this train of thought years ago and we've tossed the idea-ball around a lot over the years.

There. Hope that keeps Alaundo from smacking us with the Rod of Pointless Postings.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  06:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just really pleased that you're here, Mr. Schend, since many of my favorite Realms sourcebooks were written by you. The two that are foremost in mind right now are Sea of Fallen Stars (perhaps my favorite sourcebook, period), and Cormanthyr.

The reason I bring it up is that I have a question of the Dukars. I was wondering if they could use magical items that duplicated spell effects from schools other than the two they study (like a Numosi using a wand of lightning). It doesn't say one way or another in the class description, nor in the Dualist description in Cormanthyr that the class is derived from. So I thought I'd go to the source.

Also, I wanted to ask what you thought the Fifth Shalarin Passing would encompass. Though I've since used it extensively in a campaign of mine, I'm wondering what you had in mind when you tossed in that wonderful little hook.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  22:50:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scribe sets down his pen, glares around the room, and mutters to himself.

Now Mr. Schend,

Please enlighten us on why the Srinshee was changed from Cormanthyr to the Fall of Myth Drannor, if you please. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2005 :  15:18:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I'm just really pleased that you're here, Mr. Schend, since many of my favorite Realms sourcebooks were written by you. The two that are foremost in mind right now are Sea of Fallen Stars (perhaps my favorite sourcebook, period), and Cormanthyr.

Thank you very much.

quote:

The reason I bring it up is that I have a question of the Dukars. I was wondering if they could use magical items that duplicated spell effects from schools other than the two they study (like a Numosi using a wand of lightning). It doesn't say one way or another in the class description, nor in the Dualist description in Cormanthyr that the class is derived from. So I thought I'd go to the source.

That's because I wrote both of those before there were major restrictions on magical item use. I'd say that unless the item is specifically restricted to use by only one character class, it's usable. At the heart of it all, dukars wield arcane magic, so they should have access to things that others do as well. If you wish, you can take the guess-work out of the equation and allow the Use Magic Device feat for Dukars and that takes care of any questions as well.

All that said, it might be seen as "crass" or "against the ways of the order" (whichever order or path the dukar takes) to use non-dukar magics. I'd say it's fine in emergencies and to save your pals' lives, but if someone were to make a habit of using non-dukar items, the savants of the order might take that person to task on this "reliance outside of yourself and your coralbond..."

quote:

Also, I wanted to ask what you thought the Fifth Shalarin Passing would encompass. Though I've since used it extensively in a campaign of mine, I'm wondering what you had in mind when you tossed in that wonderful little hook.

My intention was simply to set up an easy two-way gate between the far away Outer Sea (west of the Maztican subcontinent) and the Sea of Fallen Stars. For those in the know, there's suddenly a way to jump 1000s of miles and explore whole new lands (especially if the Dukar Orders were to ask for volunteers to learn to air-breathe and thus explore both the seas and lands out there and return, as those maps would be the most precious trade items on either side of the surface). That enough ideas to springboard from one action?

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2005 :  15:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

The scribe sets down his pen, glares around the room, and mutters to himself.

And your host tosses you a virtual beer to celebrate your 1,000th post.

quote:

Now Mr. Schend,

Please enlighten us on why the Srinshee was changed from Cormanthyr to the Fall of Myth Drannor, if you please. :)

Save the "Mr." for my father; I'm Steven.

Long story short on that--I may have screwed up and didn't recheck my files at the time or something. I don't have a problem admitting if/when I screwed up, but in my own defense, I can't find the contradictions. I've found my original design files (unedited) for FOMD and can't find any reference where I make her into a moon elf either. Do you or George have that reference?

Honestly, I worked on Cormanthyr from Ed's Elminster in Myth Drannor novel, his Ruins of Myth Drannor box, and his comments. I got his permission to expand some details on the Srinshee and stat her up. As I recall, Ed was the one who told me which elven race she was, and I think I can recall on less than one hand the number of times I've deliberately contradicted Ed.

That said, she was (at time of introduction) a rather unique form of baelnorn in the novel and got restored to the pink of youth therein by either Mystra or the Seldarine (or a combo of both). Her description, IIRC, gibes more with what moon elves look like, which may account for some of the confusion. If you need an in-game explanation as to when/where she shifted from gold to moon elf, her restoration could have done it.

Another option (a bit more confusing, but more fun for role playing and more magical (easily believable, given her power levels)) is this idea: She's an elf, pure and simple, but she's no longer the "race" of her birth. She has magic that alters perceptions around her, so any elf sees her as the best expression of his or her own race (i.e. a gold elf sees a gold elf, a moon elf sees her as a moon elf, and even drow see her as a drow). Most humans and other races don't have preset prejudices re: elven races, but if so, they see her in the best possible light of elvenkind as well. This doesn't affect her stats or abilities one whit, but it helps socially in terms of being accepted by those who only like to listen to their own brand of elf. (Wild idea, yes, but it's the sort of thing that might make Ed giggle with glee, as it opens more doors of possibility than it closes.)

Hope this helps or at least clears up a conundrum. Nevertheless, the current powers-that-be have declared her a moon elf, so that's what's the canonical lore now, regardless of what I've said in past or present.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2005 :  16:43:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's listed in the back of Fall where there is roster of members of Cormanthyr.

Ah well, aye she's a moon elf now. :) I figured partly some of that. She could have been changed when she came back to the living or as I said before her Chosen status could also allow her to shapechange.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2005 :  20:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another option (a bit more confusing, but more fun for role playing and more magical (easily believable, given her power levels)) is this idea: She's an elf, pure and simple, but she's no longer the "race" of her birth. She has magic that alters perceptions around her, so any elf sees her as the best expression of his or her own race (i.e. a gold elf sees a gold elf, a moon elf sees her as a moon elf, and even drow see her as a drow). Most humans and other races don't have preset prejudices re: elven races, but if so, they see her in the best possible light of elvenkind as well. This doesn't affect her stats or abilities one whit, but it helps socially in terms of being accepted by those who only like to listen to their own brand of elf. (Wild idea, yes, but it's the sort of thing that might make Ed giggle with glee, as it opens more doors of possibility than it closes.)

Actually, I really like that idea.

But to me, her true race always be a gold elf. With all due respect I don't care what Lost Empires says--this isn't because I'm biased towards gold elves against moon elves (I like both races), it's just because I prefer her race to stay what I learned it to be.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2005 :  23:40:06  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answer, Steven, though I should probably have said that I detest 3e something fierce and that all of my campaigns have been and will always be in 2e (the same edition that SoFS was published in). That's why I was curious, since in 2e specialist mages couldn't use a magical item that duplicated spells of their prohibited school. I was curious if that ban extended to the much-narrower-focused dukars and dualists.

Great also to have a solid location for the shalarin home. I admit that in the two different campaigns I ran, in one their home was in the Outer Sea, and in the other it was on another world. I just couldn't make up my mind, so I ran both.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2005 :  17:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive me, Alaundo, for temporarily going off-topic/non-Realms matter. This is simply the easiest method for reaching a wide number of Australians at once.

George (and any others who'd care to chime in),

I'm doing some research on magical/magickal studies and forms across the world for a personal project. Any suggestions on sources or general info on Australian magical paradigms and persons? In other words, what sorts of peoples and traditions are involved in magical studies down under (i.e. Does Australia have its versions of Aleister Crowley or Sir John Dee?)

Just curious on this topic and revealing that America's got serious myopia when it comes to discussions or info on magics. There's a serious bias to either Native American or British traditions, ignoring the rest of the world. For that matter, if anyone's got ideas or suggestions on other cultures' magics (i.e. Balkans, Russia, etc.), please respond as well.

And to prevent this from eating up this topic, PLEASE EMAIL me off this board, lest Alaundo come at us and rightly so.

Thanks for any and all input.

Steven
Tinkering with one of many projects juggled in mid-air at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2005 :  18:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forgive me, Alaundo, for temporarily going off-topic/non-Realms matter. This is simply the easiest method for reaching a wide number of Australians at once.

::mutter, grumble::

Aye, and let it not happen again!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  03:07:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another topic got me pondering this one... How much political influence does Khelben Arunsun retain in Waterdeep? Due the other Lords still regularly consult with him since he gave up his Lordship, or is it a more sporadic thing, or what?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  22:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another topic got me pondering this one... How much political influence does Khelben Arunsun retain in Waterdeep? Due the other Lords still regularly consult with him since he gave up his Lordship, or is it a more sporadic thing, or what?

Political influence: Hard to say and depends where we're talking.

(Waterdeep) Officially, he has no direct political power as a former Lord; that said, his advice is often acceded to and sought out (but rarely granted to any save his closest associates). People still defer greatly to him much like we (and other world leaders) do to former American presidents.

(Elven lands) Khelben's word is as strong as the oldest of elves; in some eyes (more among the elders of Evereska, and not just because of his actions during the recent attacks by Shade & Phaerimm), he is held in equal or higher esteem than elven House rulers.

RE: referrals/conferences with other Lords, et al.
Sure, he'll meet and confer his advice on any current Lords, though their meetings must remain secret even from his apprentices, so they happen in secure cellars and tunnels beneath the Tower.

Among the Lords and their agents, Khelben has the most dealings with Aleena Paladinstar (Piergeiron's daughter), Mirt, and Kitten; Piergeiron is one of the few men on Toril who can get Khelben to do his bidding without argument (part respect for the Open Lord, part his personal respect of the man).

All this aside, it's very sporadic as Khelben's now far busier with his own plans, machinations, and his operations with the Tel'Teukiira. Thus, his advice and dealings with the Lords depends on them finding him, getting his attentions, or delivering messages to him (assuming he's on the same plane or continent, etc.).

Because of this, most of the Lords have learned to go to Laeral and she is often the one who gets Khelben to scare up 5 minutes in his schedule to teleport to Castle Waterdeep, curtly provide the information or advice requested, and blip away before another distracting question can be asked.

As always with Khelben, his response to "May I ask you your advice?" is "Of course you may ask..." followed by the chuff of imploding air as he blinks away.

Steven
Who notes that he DOESN'T pull that trick on the following: Piergeiron, Elminster, Maskar Wands, Halaster, Alustriel, or the crowned heads of Cormyr, Impiltur, or Tethyr; all others get what little they can wring out of him while he's within reach (and yes, it does rather chafe Mirt's sensibilities to get such treatment for more than 30 years)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  23:51:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that answer, my friend!

Next question, which just came to me... I'm sure it doesn't happen terribly oft, but how does Khelben like to spend his free time? We know he's got artistic aspirations, but what else does he like to do?

Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  12:09:12  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven,

Nice to see you've gotten a thread of your own! I've been collecting all the old 2nd Edition and earlier works in FR and i've really enjoyed your work (LOI, City of Splendors etc).

This may be too general a question, but i was wondering if you could give us your ideas as to how the Moonstars may have developed in the years since Cloak and Dagger was set (1370? 1371?).

The Moonstars always seemed intriguingly underdeveloped, and as the foremost authority on Khelben i was wondering if there was any information on them you'd like to share with us which hasn't already seen print? The bargain between Khelben and Fzoul has always needed some more explanation to my mind, as it gives more depth and important character development to both men.

I understand that perhaps you don't have any influence on WOTC as to how this story arc should be developed any more (and they certainly dropped the ball with most of Cloak and Dagger's cool developments and changes), but i'd like to hear your thoughts on how it should have gone and what we could be seeing now.

Thanks,

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  13:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for that answer, my friend!

Next question, which just came to me... I'm sure it doesn't happen terribly oft, but how does Khelben like to spend his free time? We know he's got artistic aspirations, but what else does he like to do?

Uck. Sulphur smell came along with this scrap of parchment that dropped onto my desk....

"Free time? There is no such thing as `free time,' lad. Every breath without care is bought and paid for dearly in effort, intent, and oftimes blood (and not always one's own).

Be that as it may, my free time is spent meditating with Uvaerenni lore crystals, if only so I may relearn a song or tale from my youth. Betimes I enjoy simply walking the streets of the City in guise, enjoying the moment, weather, and peoples. Most times, I prefer to spend what idle time I may procure with my lady wife, as our time alone without care is precious. One of our favorite hobbies is to travel to a ruin we both have experienced earlier in life and try and restore it in art, I with my paints, she with her sketches. I daresay my best attempts in oils are nothing compared to what her coal illustrations depict, and each of us remembers details from the past the other has forgotten.

Now, your query has consumed my moment of idleness as much as it may. There is a matter I and others must attend to in Iriaebor..."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  14:08:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, when you get the chance, pass on my thanks to Khelben for that reply.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  04:22:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Be that as it may, my free time is spent meditating with Uvaerenni lore crystals, if only so I may relearn a song or tale from my youth.
Got any to spare for this humble old sage? .

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  13:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Gerath Hoan, thanks for dropping by. Unfortunately, I'm swamped right now and won't have the time for at least a week to devote to the proper answering of your question.

That said, here's the short answer: I've got plans in my head for the Moonstars; some of what I'd like to do butts heads with various NDAs (and I'm still under some of them even after leaving WotC 5 years ago); and I don't have the time to do this up right now.

More later....promise....

SES

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000