Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  00:58:58  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again Steven!
I was the one who asked about Backstaff,... Now I have read it. NICE work! Lets just say i did not regret buying it, it is very good.
The reason for this post is that I belive you should have a pat on the shoulder for a job well done, you keep writing like that, and I will keep buying! thats for sure =)

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  00:00:42  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, thanks again for all your answers!

One more question about Amnian bigotry. LoI notes that Amnwater has the following population distribution: 7,500 permanent residents (60% human, 25% halfling, 15% other). Is the 15% then almost entirely half-orcs who have hired out as caravan guards from Purskul?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  10:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Steven, thanks again for all your answers!

One more question about Amnian bigotry. LoI notes that Amnwater has the following population distribution: 7,500 permanent residents (60% human, 25% halfling, 15% other). Is the 15% then almost entirely half-orcs who have hired out as caravan guards from Purskul?

No, not even half of that. I'd say many of those would still count as population of Purskul, since they're hirelings. I'll have to check my notes on Amnwater, as I'm drawing a blank as to its placement and don't have the map in front of me.

More later, but offhand, I'd say that 15% is unnoted with any majority, so it could be a mix of all or any other races to make up that 15% (dwarf, half-elf, elf, half-orc, gnome, each being between 1-5% of the total population). Yes, half-orc is probably the dominant group among that, but no more than 6% of the total population at best.

Steven
who's been impressed by all the work he's seen Lemernis do with Amn...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  11:42:01  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, what's the differece between Maornathil and Mhaorathil (Corruption bane)? I mean linguistically and are they related somewhat

Thank you

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  13:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

More later, but offhand, I'd say that 15% is unnoted with any majority, so it could be a mix of all or any other races to make up that 15% (dwarf, half-elf, elf, half-orc, gnome, each being between 1-5% of the total population). Yes, half-orc is probably the dominant group among that, but no more than 6% of the total population at best.

Okies, we're just trying to realize the setting as accurately as we can according to canon, we just want to make sure we get it right!

This would seem to make Amnwater just about the most racially diverse community in all of Amn. Kind of an anomoly, really. But at a permanent population of 7,500 that means that 5% = 375 peeps--which is actually quite a lot (equivalent to a large hamlet)! Even 1% is 75 people (a large thorp), which is still enough to have fairly regular (once a year?) sightings (if not interactions). And because Amnwater is situated on such a main trade artery (Eshpurta Road), all that doesn't square too well with the notion that most Amnians will never encounter a demi-human race in their entire lifetime.

Personally, I think Amn being a place where demi-humans are rarely sighted gives it a very unique flavor, I'd sort of like to maintain that if possible... In that vein, for the purposes of a NWN2 persistent world, do you think it makes sense to simply revise that total figure of 15% to something much lower, more like 2%?

Or if the 15% stands, what is the explanation for that unusually high diversity? (One would think it is likely the strong trade in mercenaries.) How do they all get along? Do they tend to live in segregated little neighborhoods, as the halflings do?

I know you said you'll have more for us on this subject, but those are some of the immediate questions that come to my mind.

Lol, I really hope it doesn't feel like I'm busting chops here. It's just that this is figures to be an extremely vital component of our gameworld. Amnwater is where the do-gooder PCs will be starting out, and I'm sure a lot of players will likely want to use NWN2's demi-humans and their various subraces.

Edited by - Lemernis on 04 Dec 2006 15:34:08
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  20:16:59  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Mr. Schend. I just recently came across something on the Wizards boards (it is an old post, hence my just now finding it) that stated you are the one that created the fey'ri. I just wanted to say that they are one of my favorite races to play in 3.5 and ask... what exactly was your inspiration for creating them? Why sun elves and not some other subrace? Finally, are you happy with how the sourcebooks portrays them as compared to 2nd Edition? Thank you for your time, and if there is any fey'ri lore you want to pass on, I'll be sure to take notes.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 06 Dec 2006 20:18:36
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  18:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Okies, we're just trying to realize the setting as accurately as we can according to canon, we just want to make sure we get it right!

This would seem to make Amnwater just about the most racially diverse community in all of Amn. Kind of an anomoly, really. But at a permanent population of 7,500 that means that 5% = 375 peeps--which is actually quite a lot (equivalent to a large hamlet)! Even 1% is 75 people (a large thorp), which is still enough to have fairly regular (once a year?) sightings (if not interactions). And because Amnwater is situated on such a main trade artery (Eshpurta Road), all that doesn't square too well with the notion that most Amnians will never encounter a demi-human race in their entire lifetime.

Personally, I think Amn being a place where demi-humans are rarely sighted gives it a very unique flavor, I'd sort of like to maintain that if possible... In that vein, for the purposes of a NWN2 persistent world, do you think it makes sense to simply revise that total figure of 15% to something much lower, more like 2%?

Or if the 15% stands, what is the explanation for that unusually high diversity? (One would think it is likely the strong trade in mercenaries.) How do they all get along? Do they tend to live in segregated little neighborhoods, as the halflings do?

I know you said you'll have more for us on this subject, but those are some of the immediate questions that come to my mind.

Lol, I really hope it doesn't feel like I'm busting chops here. It's just that this is figures to be an extremely vital component of our gameworld. Amnwater is where the do-gooder PCs will be starting out, and I'm sure a lot of players will likely want to use NWN2's demi-humans and their various subraces.

While I loathe the idea personally, it works world-wise to segregate any demihumans into their own neighborhoods/ghettos, as per Amnian culture.

If you want, make it 1.5% and we'll call it a typo, and make the other 13.5% human as in keeping with standard Amn.

All this makes me hope my computer will be able to run any of this.... ;)

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  18:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

Steven, what's the differece between Maornathil and Mhaorathil (Corruption bane)? I mean linguistically and are they related somewhat

Thank you

I can't currently find my glossary of elven terms and words, but when I do, I'll try and have an answer for you.

They are related (with the suffix -athil) and Mhaor and maor(n) have subtly different meanings, which I'll have to check.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  18:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello, Mr. Schend. I just recently came across something on the Wizards boards (it is an old post, hence my just now finding it) that stated you are the one that created the fey'ri. I just wanted to say that they are one of my favorite races to play in 3.5 and ask... what exactly was your inspiration for creating them? Why sun elves and not some other subrace? Finally, are you happy with how the sourcebooks portrays them as compared to 2nd Edition? Thank you for your time, and if there is any fey'ri lore you want to pass on, I'll be sure to take notes.

Actually, I'm not so much the creator there--it's Ed, as always.

What I did was take an aside he had in ELMINSTER IN MYTH DRANNOR about the ruined and sealed manor of the Dlardrageths, who allegedly held congress with demons. I ran with that idea in HELLGATE KEEP, and reintroduced the three surviving members of that family. They were sun elves because that's what Ed told me they were.

Eric Boyd then picked up the ball and ran crazily with it in CLOAK & DAGGER, and this is the true birthplace of the current fey'ri.

3rd Edition and Rich's LAST MYTHAL trilogy has genericized them somewhat, giving them all wings and such (which is not something I agree with, but I understand it, as it's too complex to use traits from all the individual demonic types). Even so, they're not something that is close to my heart, and the only thing that bothers me is that they're vastly more numerous than I'd be comfortable with, were I steering the ship.

Thus, the fey'ri are definitely a team construction, and we're all glad you're enjoying them in your Realms.

Steven
who's still annoyed that Ryvvik got killed off-screen and for little reason other than they didn't have psionics rules for him at the time the other Dlardrageths were statted up....

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  18:50:17  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the information, Mr. Schend. I am always interested in hearing about elven lore and where they originated from. So again, thank you for taking the time to get back to me.

*inclines head respectfully*

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  19:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While I loathe the idea personally, it works world-wise to segregate any demihumans into their own neighborhoods/ghettos, as per Amnian culture.

I was thinking...even within a country, there usually isn't one all-encompassing culture (that is, there are sub-cultures), so would it be workable to make this one town a bit more cosmopolitan than the rest of Amn? I think it would be interesting.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 08 Dec 2006 19:49:29
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  23:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you want, make it 1.5% and we'll call it a typo, and make the other 13.5% human as in keeping with standard Amn.

All this makes me hope my computer will be able to run any of this.... ;)

Steven

Thanks, I myself like the 1.5% figure as it gives Amnwater an edgier feel than if it were a 'we're all one big happy family' kind of place. I think it'll actually be more fun to play demi-humans as outsiders.

Yeah, system requirements for the game are pretty high. You can run this app http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest to see if there's anything you might want to upgrade to run the game (it's posted in the developer's system requirements FAQ thread). Also, many players have found that simply updating their video driver can make a vast difference in performance.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  02:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I was thinking...even within a country, there usually isn't one all-encompassing culture (that is, there are sub-cultures), so would it be workable to make this one town a bit more cosmopolitan than the rest of Amn? I think it would be interesting.

Interesting, yes, but not from Amn's point of view. You might be able to find individuals or perhaps even whole families who might embrace demihumans, but rarely would you find that many willing to fight the standards set by the Council and their trading partners. (After all, those in Amnwater might see dips in trade if they started bucking the system.)

(Bear in mind, though, that if one family controls or influences the city (like the Medici did in Florence in their day), they set the stage for what's acceptable or not in town. And that can work on a small scale--perhaps not for Amnwater, but an unmentioned supporting village of farmers or a barracks town for military personnel nearby....)

Every time Amn's people have opened their borders to others in the past, it's bitten them hard. They still blame elves for many more sins than they should, because it's easy.

Most of Amn is quite comfortable with its internal attitudes and don't care one whit what others may think of them. Just as you can't get Turks or many Arabs collectively to accept the idea that Kurds deserve recognition as people and perhaps as a nation (a problem straddling more than 3 centuries in our world), you can't get too many Amnians to see the point that "those not like us" are not out to destroy their (as they see it) gods-given rights to earn profits. And that's part of how they rationalize their prejudices against other races--"they only bring demons or chaos or goods that humans can't fairly compete against and thus we don't want them here."

If you want cosmopolitan communities and a fair shake for demihumans AND still have some semblance of what life is like in Amn, I'd say use the two "traitor cities" of Riatavin and Trailstone. They're technically Tethyr now politically and economically, but most everyone in those settlements was an Amnian of long standing.

Steven
who may regret not rereading this off-the-cuff response for clarity, but he's trusting his headbones to not lead him (or you kind readers) too far astray

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  02:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just off hand, have there been questions dropped in here that I've forgotten to address? (And no, I can't change any answers that were stated as NDAs, I'm afraid.) Just wanting to make sure that I'm not leaving folk in the lurch, waiting with bated breath for answers to queries.

I'm off to spend most of December madly pounding the keyboard in hopes of finishing another novel ASAP. Can't say anything else on it or for whom I'm writing it, but wish me luck, gentles.

Talk to ye soon, comrades of the Candled Keep...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  02:57:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just off hand, have there been questions dropped in here that I've forgotten to address? (And no, I can't change any answers that were stated as NDAs, I'm afraid.) Just wanting to make sure that I'm not leaving folk in the lurch, waiting with bated breath for answers to queries.
I can take a look through your scroll, just to be sure...

quote:
I'm off to spend most of December madly pounding the keyboard in hopes of finishing another novel ASAP. Can't say anything else on it or for whom I'm writing it, but wish me luck, gentles.
And, you will indeed, have it.

Though, I must admit... I'm more than a little intrigued to hear this. In fact, I'm extremely excited by this news. Thoughts about more Steven Schend fiction, regardless of who it is for, are always somewhere on my various "Wish Lists".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Dec 2006 02:58:46
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  04:16:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Oh, how I hope so badly that it is a Forgotten Realms novel...

-Well, even if it isn't, good luck with that, Sage Schend.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 10 Dec 2006 04:17:13
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  11:14:30  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

Thank you

Okay, finally found that elven glossary....

-athil translates as "bane/nemesis"

mhaor- translates as "corruption, disease, plague"

mor- translates as "absence of life, true death"

Mormhaor translates as "corrupted death, undeath"

the "n" negates the suffix or shifts the meaning somewhat to be something other than the literal word/root.

Maornathil is Tsarra's scimitar, a Rilifane-blessed undead fighting blade. It was originally Mormhaorathil, which would have literally been "Undead's Bane." However, the name, as it became in final draft (for reasons that I can't discuss right now), loosely translates as "Corruption's Foe/Ally" (depending on where you place the stresses).

In scenes that never quite got written, I'd planned on Syndra Wands having to pick up Mhaornathil to wield against Frostrune (which would do her a great bit of damage simply by touching it, but she'd do it for revenge.). Simply put, I never got around to using the sword as much as I'd have liked, as the shifting story focused more on the magic and wizardry, not bladeplay. Syndra also became an undead entity more in line with something from SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER rather than just the garden variety ghost, so she became a weapon in her own right and had no need to wield Tsarra's blade.

Mhaornathil is an undead bane scimitar that has the ability to touch/affect ghosts and other ephemeral undead (and strangely, to be touched/wielded by the same). That's the one aspect I didn't get to highlight, but it may come into play with future stories, I hope.

And I apologize if we slipped and introduced odd spellings of the blade. Thought I'd done the triple-check in galleys to make sure the first spelling (p22) remained consistent throughout the novel.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  14:13:38  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Steven, that scene with Syndra against Rakesk would be fun, I like her attitude

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  23:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven
who may regret not rereading this off-the-cuff response for clarity, but he's trusting his headbones to not lead him (or you kind readers) too far astray

It made sense--thanks for the response.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  17:26:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, finally found that elven glossary....

-athil translates as "bane/nemesis"

mhaor- translates as "corruption, disease, plague"

mor- translates as "absence of life, true death"

Mormhaor translates as "corrupted death, undeath"

the "n" negates the suffix or shifts the meaning somewhat to be something other than the literal word/root.

-Hurrah. More Elven Lingoisms. I'll have to add those to my dictionary, if they are not already there.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  20:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You got a book deal!? Awesome. Good luck Sage Schend. (I hope its a Realms book, I hope its a Realms book)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  05:37:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-You know, Sage Schend...We all know you have that Elven Glossary. I have no clue what exactly is in there, and how it compares to what I have compiled...Any chance that you post the entire thing?

-Pretty please?

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 20 Dec 2006 05:38:42
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  20:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next on Questions for Steve Schend
Will Sage Schend post the elven glossary? Or will he drop a witty line that will make everyone less disappointed that it is a product owned by WotC or TSR that he can not reveal in this Forum directly? We'll find out soon.....

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  05:06:07  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Two questions in a row about it. The pressure is surely on now...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  00:55:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back from the Yule/Christmas celebrations and I've a cold. Blech.

Well, I've not posted the elven glossary as it's a mess and it only makes sense to me and Eric and Ed, most often. If I find the time to clean it up and make it pretty, I'll see what I can do about making it available.

SES
who wishes you all a Happy New Year (even those who celebrated the same on October 31)

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anymore news on your next book? Diplomacy check 1d20+5 skill ranks+1 charisma+1 steve schend fan modifier=a roll of 18! What was the difficulty class? 30!? Maybe you are feeling kind and will still drop some hints on the subject of your next book? :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Steven!

Another Amn question (surpise!):

The 'Political Boundaries' map in Lands of Intrigue seems to show most of (if not all) the Tejarn Hills to be under Sythillisian control. The map seems to show what has taken place very soon after the war. The state of affairs shown by the map isn't entirely accounted for in the book's text.

Which of the following are under Sythillisian control?

* Hillfort Torbold
* Dark Redoubt (presumably allied with Amn, via its connection with the Mountain of Skulls)
* Hillfort Keshla

It's kind of hard to tell, but to my eye:

It looks like Hillfort Keshla falls outside of the zone controlled by Sythillis, and Hillfort Torbold definitely falls within Sythillisian controlled territory. Dark Redoubt looks like it might be just outside Sythillisian lands.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  19:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Anymore news on your next book? Diplomacy check 1d20+5 skill ranks+1 charisma+1 steve schend fan modifier=a roll of 18! What was the difficulty class? 30!? Maybe you are feeling kind and will still drop some hints on the subject of your next book? :)

Can't really say much about my current projects, as NDAs and contracts get in the way. Give me a few months and mayhaps I'll be able to leak more info.

As it is, the only writing I'll have coming out next year for sure is a contemporary magic short story called "Concerning a Gambit of Fraternity" in the FELLOWSHIP FANTASTIC anthology due out from DAW Books next summer. It's a modern world story all my own and not a work-for-hire, and I hope to finish a novel I've got set in the same world in less than six months.

More info will be pending, once I get the freedom to do more than hint. Thanks very much for the interest; it keeps me excited and energized to get the work done and out to you folks.

Steven
who wishes you all a very safe, very happy, and very prosperous new year

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  19:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, Steven!

Another Amn question (surpise!):

"Surpise" is an ancient Amnian greeting shared among friends to signal the need for the host to provide food and sustenance immediately upon the arrival of said friends.

quote:
The 'Political Boundaries' map in Lands of Intrigue seems to show most of (if not all) the Tejarn Hills to be under Sythillisian control. The map seems to show what has taken place very soon after the war. The state of affairs shown by the map isn't entirely accounted for in the book's text.

Which of the following are under Sythillisian control?

* Hillfort Torbold
* Dark Redoubt (presumably allied with Amn, via its connection with the Mountain of Skulls)
* Hillfort Keshla

It's kind of hard to tell, but to my eye:

It looks like Hillfort Keshla falls outside of the zone controlled by Sythillis, and Hillfort Torbold definitely falls within Sythillisian controlled territory. Dark Redoubt looks like it might be just outside Sythillisian lands.

Your guesses sound correct; if I didn't have it conquered in the text, it wasn't conquered and the map's vagaries shouldn't change those facts. Unless I stated (and with a low fever and cold right now, I can't remember) that Keshla fell to the Sythillisians, it's still in Amnian hands.

Have fun with all that. I'm off for a nap.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  23:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, feel better.

quote:
"Surpise" is an ancient Amnian greeting shared among friends to signal the need for the host to provide food and sustenance immediately upon the arrival of said friends.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wishes us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

This reminds me--I think I have compiled descriptions of just about every wine, ale, beer, cider, and liquor in the entire Realms.

Any thoughts about what sorts of foods and drink the good folk of Amn like to indluge in, given their great wealth and expensive tastes? I know their prurient appetites are sated at such places as the Scrimitar (or were before the war anyway). But otherwise, at Amnian parties for example, what sorts of things do Amnians enjoy for entertainment? I assume they have music and dancing, food, drink, etc. Gift-giving, I would think. But anything else novel, i.e., distinctly Amnian?

quote:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wishes us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

I feel compelled to share--I have to say this Belgian ale http://www.chimay.com/en/chimay_blue_220.php may just be the very nectar of the gods. Damn this stuff is good!

Edited by - Lemernis on 01 Jan 2007 12:53:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000