Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  10:47:10  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Quick note before I hustle off to finish packing and scrambling to get at least a placeholder page down on a new website or two for myself.

I've written (and am currently in 2nd draft rewrite) on BLACKSTAFF TOWER, a novel for the Realms for Autumn 2008.

That's all I can talk about right now. Honestly. I'll share more when I can.

Steven

Are you allowed to at least answer this (one-word) question;

prequel or sequel?

Edited by - The Simbul on 13 Sep 2007 12:04:06
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  11:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

quote:

Quick note before I hustle off to finish packing and scrambling to get at least a placeholder page down on a new website or two for myself.

I've written (and am currently in 2nd draft rewrite) on BLACKSTAFF TOWER, a novel for the Realms for Autumn 2008.

That's all I can talk about right now. Honestly. I'll share more when I can.

Steven

Are you allow to at least answer this (one-word) question;

prequel or sequel?

Well met

Aye, good question, Simbul Steven simply isn't giving us enough information. I'd still liketo know which series (if any) this is in....pin him down

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  13:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
prequel or sequel?

It's neither of those really (in the sense that a sequel immediately builds off of events from the previous book).

Let's just say it takes place after BLACKSTAFF, but to say more summons the NDA Cloaker....

SES
who's amused that this little post is his 1000th post on Candlekeep...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 13 Sep 2007 13:38:37
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  13:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Steve, for the 1000 posts. This will made you a Master of Realmslore here in the keep... but you already is a Master of Realmslore, anyway!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  14:55:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Congratulations, Steve, for the 1000 posts. This will made you a Master of Realmslore here in the keep... but you already is a Master of Realmslore, anyway!

Hear, hear!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  16:23:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Sage Steve, is there anything you can tell us about the mysterious Elven settlement of Srinshinnar? It's briefly mentioned in C:EoE, but not very much is said about it...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  16:31:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Hear, hear!

Indeed. 'Tis a well deserved promotion. Here's to the next thousand!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  21:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

My word, this is a first! Congratulations indeed, Steven. 'tis a humble pleasure to have such a loremaster as thyself within these halls.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  02:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My heartfelt congratulations, too! And let me say that I am looking for this new novel of yours as eagerly as the next one in the 'Knights of Myth Drannor' trilogy!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  03:11:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
prequel or sequel?

It's neither of those really (in the sense that a sequel immediately builds off of events from the previous book).

Let's just say it takes place after BLACKSTAFF, but to say more summons the NDA Cloaker....

SES

It's the little things that count!

But without all the little things to build a foundation, you cannot do the big things!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  04:44:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

My heartfelt congratulations, too! And let me say that I am looking for this new novel of yours as eagerly as the next one in the 'Knights of Myth Drannor' trilogy!

Even if this novel is linked with 4E changes ?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  14:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, dear Skeptic, even is it's linked. Look, I'm a official 4E optimist

And if a good lore to explain the things came to the hands of Steven... well... I feel very more optimist yet.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  21:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new title Steve! As if there was any doubt of your vast knowledge of the Realms.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  03:11:19  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven,

Glad to see that after that long job search hunt you are back where you belong, in the Realms once more. Aww so finding it different my friend being an author as opposed to games designer?

Oh I have many thoughts about Blacktaff novel my friend but I think I best share some of those gems in private, lest some things get out too quickly, but mmm one I will comment on, nice work on brining back a few elements from the 'Old Grey Box', the Pentad was a beautiful stroke I must say. Congrats on your marriage. Sorry for being a stranger my friend, I will be in touch more frequently, I promise.

Congrats all around once again, you deserve it.

Bruce Donohue
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  13:58:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
prequel or sequel?

SES

Is it less than 100 years after ??(Please please please)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  21:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Hello Steven,

Glad to see that after that long job search hunt you are back where you belong, in the Realms once more. Aww so finding it different my friend being an author as opposed to games designer?

Yes, it's quite a bit different to write as an author than as a game designer. Think of it as the difference between being the playwright who never got to write any dialogue (just set the stage, established the stories in progress, identified the players at hand, etc.) and being the screenwriter of a movie (where everything from the setting to the dialogue of 4th Lady of the Evening and 2nd Garbageman must be written as well as noting the graffiti on the wall behind their negotiations as a hidden plot point).

I enjoy doing both, but in some ways, I enjoy the author work more as I finally get to pick up and play with so many of the toys I left lying around in Ed's sandbox for the past 16 years.

quote:
Oh I have many thoughts about Blacktaff novel my friend but I think I best share some of those gems in private, lest some things get out too quickly, but mmm one I will comment on, nice work on brining back a few elements from the 'Old Grey Box', the Pentad was a beautiful stroke I must say. Congrats on your marriage. Sorry for being a stranger my friend, I will be in touch more frequently, I promise.

Congrats all around once again, you deserve it.

Bruce Donohue

Thanks for the kind note on the Pentad; I was wondering how folks would react to such a heretical cross-ecclesiastical group....

And I'm under the NDA to say any more about BLACKSTAFF TOWER, folks. Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  12:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Even if this novel is linked with 4E changes ?

I have to doubt that Steven will be able to brush aside those 4E changes and bring back 3rd Edition to the Realms!

Alright, seriously, I think Steven will be able to "salvage" a lot, and I never said I wouldn't buy any FR novels anymore (4E gaming products, maybe, if I won't like the system ;)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  17:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off on my honeymoon tomorrow. In 24 hours, I'm expecting to be basking in the New Mexico sun......for 11 days. See all y'all when we're back and well rested....

SES

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  17:36:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope you will have a great trip and that you both enjoy yourself immensely.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  17:41:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Off on my honeymoon tomorrow. In 24 hours, I'm expecting to be basking in the New Mexico sun......for 11 days. See all y'all when we're back and well rested....

SES

Enjoys yourselves then! And remember, don't do anything I woul... no, even I have trouble finishing that.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Oct 2007 17:43:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  18:10:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

SES

Enjoys yourselves then! And remember, don't do anything I woul... no, even I have trouble finishing that.

My grandfather used to say, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do, and if you do, don't you dare name it after me!"

New Mexico, huh? Well, you and the Mrs. enjoy yourselves!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  02:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Steven!

I have been studying The Fall of Myth Drannor and ran up against a discrepancy in LEoF. You previously wrote that the identity of "Captain Fflar" (and does anyone know what his actual rank was?) was unknown, and that many theories of his identity (and class, alignment, etc.) had been presented, but that the truth was unknown. In LEoF he is identified as "Starbrow Melbruth," but his race and character information aren't given. Is this one competing theory among many, or has his identity been definitively established as this Starbrow person?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  04:00:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met, Steven!

I have been studying The Fall of Myth Drannor and ran up against a discrepancy in LEoF. You previously wrote that the identity of "Captain Fflar" (and does anyone know what his actual rank was?) was unknown, and that many theories of his identity (and class, alignment, etc.) had been presented, but that the truth was unknown. In LEoF he is identified as "Starbrow Melbruth," but his race and character information aren't given. Is this one competing theory among many, or has his identity been definitively established as this Starbrow person?

It was firmly established in the Last Mythal trilogy. He's a minor character in the series.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  08:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Wooly,

I'd hardly call him minor - he's not a member of Araevin's party all the way through, but his role is significant.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  11:05:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

Hi Wooly,

I'd hardly call him minor - he's not a member of Araevin's party all the way through, but his role is significant.

His role is significant, but his screen time isn't. Thus, I called him a minor character.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  16:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fflar's identity should have been left unknown.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  20:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I haven't read The Last Mythal yet, but so far I'm inclined to agree. I spent many hours a couple of days ago developing what I had hoped would be a lovely bit of fan-fic, and now my efforts have been shown to have been in vain, alas, out-written by those more knowledgable than I!

Glancing through the last years of the Chronology book, I see that someone with a different first name, but same last name is listed as having been raised in 1373 or thenabouts. Is this the same person? What accounts for the different names if he is the same fellow?

BTW, without giving away too much of The Last Mythal, will someone please let me (us?) know what his class(es) and level(s) were in 714 and now?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  23:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I haven't read The Last Mythal yet, but so far I'm inclined to agree. I spent many hours a couple of days ago developing what I had hoped would be a lovely bit of fan-fic, and now my efforts have been shown to have been in vain, alas, out-written by those more knowledgable than I!

Bah, write the fic anyway.

quote:
Glancing through the last years of the Chronology book, I see that someone with a different first name, but same last name is listed as having been raised in 1373 or thenabouts. Is this the same person? What accounts for the different names if he is the same fellow?

Well, GHotR gave Starbrow Melruth the rather ironic, Freudian slip name Shardrow Melruth. It's just a typo.

quote:
BTW, without giving away too much of The Last Mythal, will someone please let me (us?) know what his class(es) and level(s) were in 714 and now?

Levels, I can't help you with. But going by the novels, Fflar seemed to be a high-level fighter (and just a fighter--not a paladin or anything).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Oct 2007 23:42:44
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  00:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For fun, I took a party back in time, gave one of them the title Fflar, had him die in the epic battle and get raised as a demigod (sort of like Uthgar) by Tempus. The players had a lot of fun, and Fflar (based on the PC) is now a commonly chosen deity, even in some of our non-Realms games (by other DMs in our RP group). Even though it was against the guidlines presented in The Fall of Myth Drannor, I gifted each of the surviving 3 PCs a baneblade and let them take it back to the future. That explained in part why they had not been found for so many years.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  00:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

For fun, I took a party back in time, gave one of them the title Fflar, had him die in the epic battle and get raised as a demigod (sort of like Uthgar) by Tempus. The players had a lot of fun, and Fflar (based on the PC) is now a commonly chosen deity, even in some of our non-Realms games (by other DMs in our RP group). Even though it was against the guidlines presented in The Fall of Myth Drannor, I gifted each of the surviving 3 PCs a baneblade and let them take it back to the future. That explained in part why they had not been found for so many years.

*grins* That's pretty cool.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000