Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  22:35:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey steven, will you have anything to do with the 5e realms??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Arunsun
Acolyte

France
5 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  14:06:41  Show Profile Send Arunsun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Arunsun

Hello Steven,

here's another annoying Frenchman with another annoying question :

What is Bulaedo's (the owner of the Thirsty Throat Tavern) exact second name ? On the City of Splendors poster map, his name is spelled "LedGIleer", but in appendix 2 of the Who's Who booklet, it reads "LedIGleer" (twice).

Very confusing, to this French guy at least - I would be tempted to go with Ledgileer because of "ledge" and "leer", but confirmation would be much appreciated.

Believe the text, as it was proofed better than the map, I'm afraid.

Steven

Thanks for the quick answer!

I'll go with Ledigleer then, although it sounds stranger than "Ledgileer" (I'm not convinced the text was that thoroughly proofed since there are still a few typos in it, but if you say so...) I would have thought the name was intended to mean (or at least sound like) something, hence my question.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  19:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

hey steven, will you have anything to do with the 5e realms??

Haven't been asked, as yet, and I'm not sure I've got the time to dedicate to any large projects other than my kids right now. Still, one never knows....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  21:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the Blues Brothers once said: "We're gettin the band back together", and in my humble opinion Mr. Schend is a critical component of any Realms revival.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  22:33:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

As the Blues Brothers once said: "We're gettin the band back together", and in my humble opinion Mr. Schend is a critical component of any Realms revival.

I would click on a Like button, here, if we had one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  01:12:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wholeheartedly agreed.

In fact, I'd find it hard to believe that Steven Schend wouldn't be among most old-timer Realms' fans "dream design team" listing.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  02:18:08  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly on mine. Well, not the "dream team" so much as the expected base team. My typical response to recent FR products has been "needs more Schend."

Congrats on the family though, Steven, and on having your priorities clear.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, man, really.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Certainly on mine. Well, not the "dream team" so much as the expected base team. My typical response to recent FR products has been "needs more Schend."

Again, thanks very much.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:44:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Again, thanks very much.

Alll reslms products need more Schend!

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:58:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

quote:

Again, thanks very much.

Alll reslms products need more Schend!

I'd agree, friend, Eric, but I've never yet worked on a reslms product, whatever those are.

And this has been the latest episode in Editorial Humor, ladies and gentles.

Steven

PS: Thanks, man. Have fun storming the castle, eh? Give Ed & Jennie big hugs from me and Oscar and Sarah and Holly, please?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  00:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With a few folks here asking me if I'm working on gaming stuff (or specifically 5E FR), I can't definitively say but wanted to share a few things. Thus, here's a post pointing them at the last two things I'd worked on even remotely related to gaming.

The last game/adventure I wrote was the "All Stars Take on the Mega-Dungeon" Gaming Paper adventure from Gen Con 2011. The adventure I wrote ("Keep Away from the Borderlands") could easily slip into the Realms (though I hoped I'd be able to sell GP on expanding the world from that adventure to give them an FR-style campaign world). It also has adventures in this product with a few other guys known to y'all such as Ed Greenwood, Brian Cortijo, and Monte Cook. Thus, there's lots of FR luminaries for your dollars therein.

http://gamingpaper.com/all_stars_take_on_the_mega_dungeon.php

The other thing I wrote even before the above but it came out more recently is "Thresholds," a short story published by Rite Publishing in their Coliseum Morpheuon: Anthology of Dreams. Its Realms hook resides in a secondary character, and I suspect more than a few folks will have no problem figuring out who the main character meets in a Dreamlands tavern.

http://www.drivethrufiction.com/product/101439/Coliseum-Morpheuon%3A-Anthology-of-Dreams-%28Fiction%29?term=coliseum+

Here's hoping I can get more material out there soon, whether via other publishers or my own blog/site(s). Cups high, gentles, and well met to ye all.

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  18:29:28  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, any chance you will write another book in the Blackstaff books?
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  18:45:29  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The last game/adventure I wrote was the "All Stars Take on the Mega-Dungeon" Gaming Paper adventure from Gen Con 2011. The adventure I wrote ("Keep Away from the Borderlands") could easily slip into the Realms (though I hoped I'd be able to sell GP on expanding the world from that adventure to give them an FR-style campaign world). It also has adventures in this product with a few other guys known to y'all such as Ed Greenwood, Brian Cortijo, and Monte Cook. Thus, there's lots of FR luminaries for your dollars therein.

I've bought it today, and that's great adventures ! Thanks you for sharing the link !
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  20:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Steven, any chance you will write another book in the Blackstaff books?

There's as much chance of that as anything else, I suppose, but it's WotC's call, not mine. Then it's a matter of juggling priorities and when I have the time to devote to writing a novel on a deadline as opposed to raising my kids until they're old enough for daycare or school.

In all, I'll say I'd love the opportunity to write more novels in the Realms (and elsewhere) but it has to feasibly work with my new work/family dynamic.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  20:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

quote:

I've bought it today, and that's great adventures ! Thanks you for sharing the link !

Thanks! Hope you enjoy all of the adventures therein!

Go to Top of Page

Arunsun
Acolyte

France
5 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  11:00:21  Show Profile Send Arunsun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arunsun

Hello Steven,

here's another annoying Frenchman with another annoying question :

What is Bulaedo's (the owner of the Thirsty Throat Tavern) exact second name ? On the City of Splendors poster map, his name is spelled "LedGIleer", but in appendix 2 of the Who's Who booklet, it reads "LedIGleer" (twice).

Very confusing, to this French guy at least - I would be tempted to go with Ledgileer because of "ledge" and "leer", but confirmation would be much appreciated.

Believe the text, as it was proofed better than the map, I'm afraid.

Steven

Well I actually found another mention of him in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, and there it is spelled "Ledgileer" again, so I'll go with that (and the question should have been for Ed, since he obviously created the fat bartender - sorry for pestering you!)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  17:31:14  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven, I hope everything is going great for you. I had a question regarding Lands of Intrigue. From page 14 of the third book, Tuth killed a green dragon and claimed its hoard. Is this dragon named elsewhere, or was it deliberately left unidentified? Or, now that I think about it, was it identified by the author and rendered nameless by space constraints?

I'm assuming the hoard was significant, which suggests that the dragon was old enough to have offspring and one or more current/past mates who might want revenge... or perhaps they betrayed the dragon, leading to the singularly ignoble end of being slain by a human. Either way, any related dragon would surely know something of the hoard and wish to reclaim it from the snack that ran off with it. Bam, campaign! Maybe with the PCs as scaly younglings trying to track down the family fortune and poison the poisoner as a birthday present for mom.

Any light you can shed on this dragon or its friends/nonfriends, or the hoard, or how it came to be that a green dragon succumbed to poison, is most welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  14:41:49  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not sure who is the best person to be asking this question to, if you aren't the best person to ask, or if you feel you can direct me to another source, I would be most appreciative. I am attempting to deal with Lady Hope’s sons, birthdays, who is alive, and what positions they might have as of 1479. From what I can get of the source material I have, and what Dragon-magazines I can listen to, has lead to the following: Tarthilmor Aerasume (CG hem F11/W12) is set as one of the two Captains of
the Spellguard under Jorus Azuremantle. DRAGON ANNUAL #1, p60

Methrammar Aerasume, the Shining Guard (LG hem F14/W12) and commander of
Luruar's armies. THE NORTH, Cities p55

Dalbrant Tanagathor (1240 - 1313?) Disappeared while on quest given him by
Taerntym

Hardorbryn Tanagathor (1242 - 1343) Twin of Alondel; died in battle with
the Moonlight Men

Alondel Tanagathor (1242 - 1343) Twin of Hardorbryn; died in battle with
the Moonlight Men

Boesild Aerasume (1244 - ?) Oldest known/acknowledged surviving son of
Alustriel; former apprentice of Khelben the Elder just after he left
Waterdeep in 1256; now part of the Teukiira/Moonstars.

Elnriyr Moonweather (1250 - 1347) Priest of Sehanine; died in the fire that destroys Everdusk Hall

Baerndar Tanagathor (1266 - ?)

Uoundeld of Silverymoon (1269 - ?) Teacher at the Lady's College (Tactical
&
Strategic Spellcasting)

Dolthauvin Aerasume (1295 - ?) Wanderer in the Moonwood & Coldwood

Elinthalar Tanagathor (1299 - ?) Twin of Andelver; wanderer of Lurkwood

Andelver Tressymfriend (1299 - ?) Twin of Elinthalar; wanderer of Lurkwood

Methrammar Aerasume (1304 - ?) The Shining Guard & most recognized son of
Alustriel

Inthylyn of Silverymoon (1314 - ?) ?????????????????

Lilinthar Moonweather (1337 - ?) Triplet brother of Naerond & Tarthilmor;
huntmaster of Moonweather clan in Moonwood?

Naerond Aerasume (1337 - ?) Triplet brother of Lilinthar & Tarthilmor;
crusader/mage for Mystra?

Tarthilmor Aerasume (1337 - ?) Triplet brother of Naerond & Lilinthar;
Spell
Captain of the Spellguard in Silverymoon

Raerilarr Aerasume (1340 - ?) Smallest of Tall Ones at 6'7" and nicknamed
"Tiny" by brothers; most hot-tempered of brothers, rabid drow hunter.
Ghaelryss the Bold (1345 - ?) Uses no surname, raised in Silverymoon,
living in Everlund?

I am assuming that Methrammar is king with his mother’s passing, as he is the most recognized, if not necessarily the oldest. As I have said I shall be grateful for any help on the matter.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  22:13:45  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you provide further details regarding the spell mantle of Nazir Benin el Njuvis, Pharaudo's Tome, the howlite manticore, and the Tome of Twelve Seals? Each of these were either mentioned or briefly described in Cloak & Dagger.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  14:22:00  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven. I've never posted in any of the questions threads. Usually I can answer my own questions but this one is stumping me.

What was the connection between The Basketman Murders in Keltar in 1370 DR and the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar? Was the Basketman a ghost or something more/less sinister?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  19:48:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in the midst of an Iobaria/Kingmaker conversion map (combining aspects of Golarion with The Forgotten Realms), and I ran into a bit of a conundrum...

In the upper right corner of the Iobaria map there is some sort of vast canyon (the Deeprun Crevasse), yet a river flows in, and then out in the north; how is that possible? I would guess that the right side of the canyon is a higher plateau, but we still have cliffs on the left side. Is this the case? Is the eastern cliffs of the canyon way higher then the western side, and do those western cliffs taper-off in the north (thus allowing the river to do what its doing)?

Or is that river flowing out of the Lake of Mists & Veils, toward the sea? (so the reverse would have to be true, and the left side would have to higher then the right.)

There is no river at the bottom of most of that canyon, correct? Only the southernmost area has a river in it? (which makes me wonder how the canyon formed.) It seems odd that the northern river never hooked-up with the southern - there must be some weird altitude changes going on around there that aren't able to be displayed on the map.

EDIT: Love all the lore BTW - thats why I am going through all the trouble of adapting it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Jul 2013 19:52:55
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  18:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies for taking so long on these posts; I'm not getting around here often and forget to check on queries.

quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

I'm not sure who is the best person to be asking this question to, if you aren't the best person to ask, or if you feel you can direct me to another source, I would be most appreciative. I am attempting to deal with Lady Hope’s sons, birthdays, who is alive, and what positions they might have as of 1479. <snip>

Methrammar Aerasume, the Shining Guard (LG hem F14/W12) and commander of
Luruar's armies. THE NORTH, Cities p55
<snip>

I am assuming that Methrammar is king with his mother’s passing, as he is the most recognized, if not necessarily the oldest. As I have said I shall be grateful for any help on the matter.

I can't be an official answer, as I'm not affiliated with WotC other than as a freelancer. Thus, any answer I give is superceded by anything they publish.

Methrammar would have a strong standing to lead Luruar, were it a monarchy in the traditional sense. I suspect there'd be a council meeting to declare a new leader after Alustriel, acknowledging any heir named by her but wanting to put it to a vote. Anyone with more political clout might try and pull the alliance one way or another in favor of "their" leader.

I suspect that Methrammar would still end up in charge, simply to retain the peace and the status quo, but he'd be pressured (mightily) to name an heir NOT related to him by blood, simply to mute the complaints of a standard monarchy structure.

Hope this late answer is of use to a few someones, and again, apologies.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  18:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello Steven, I hope everything is going great for you. I had a question regarding Lands of Intrigue. From page 14 of the third book, Tuth killed a green dragon and claimed its hoard. Is this dragon named elsewhere, or was it deliberately left unidentified? Or, now that I think about it, was it identified by the author and rendered nameless by space constraints?

Afraid I can't find any notes bearing any more light on the identity or associations of said dragon, and I've dug through all uncut/unedited files I have on Lands of Intrigue. Thus, I suspect it was left open/unnamed to allow a GM to slot in a dragon from his/her campaign or make up anew.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  18:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Can you provide further details regarding the spell mantle of Nazir Benin el Njuvis, Pharaudo's Tome, the howlite manticore, and the Tome of Twelve Seals? Each of these were either mentioned or briefly described in Cloak & Dagger.

I'd hate to run another "Nope. No more lore, alas." post, so I'll scribble out some thoughts, noting that anything I say is trumped by anything printed by WotC about the same.

The Spell Mantle? Unlike most, it wasn't invisible at all times, but appeared as a corona of translucent blue flames and trailed misty sparkles in the nazir's wake.

Pharaudo's Tome could only be read beneath the light of at least two candles blessed by Oghma's faithful, otherwise appearing utterly blank.

The howlite manticore? Sheesh, I'm drawing a blank there. I'll have to ping back later on it.

The oddest thing to note about the Tome of Twelve Seals is that each viewer sees different sigils on its bindings, locks, or title page at the same time, although there are three sigils/seals that are constant for any viewer--though to say which three and of what they signify would be to say too much.

Any of that helpful? Thought so.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  18:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to get back to regular activity both here and on my blog(s), so count this as a request/notice for folks to comment here or via other methods at my blogs, as I'd love to get more feedback on things of shared interests.

That said, my latest blog post went live a few hours ago and I'm hoping to hear from some Candlekeepers (like you, Sage!) about things you'd like to see more about.

http://www.steveneschend.com/2013/11/01/four-things/

Eventually, my plan is to publish more material both of a fiction and gaming nature, and I'm using the blog(s) to gauge interest and see where folks want to see me go.

Alas, none of this is a way to get me to write more Realms material--that's all in WotC's hands and less likely as time goes by and fewer in-house folks remember who I am and what I've written.

Thus, come on over to my sites and help me build some worlds that'll interest you (or be useful enough adjuncts for your home campaigns). :)

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  22:27:31  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Back Steven!!!

(... and no, sorry there's no Laeral in a wet t-shirt, for now ...)

As a scribe addicted to Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea for the wealth of information contained therein, i owe to you my continued enjoyment of the Realms to this day.

My most deep and sincere thanks for all you've done and all you'll do for the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  18:35:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Welcome Back Steven!!!

(... and no, sorry there's no Laeral in a wet t-shirt, for now ...)

As a scribe addicted to Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea for the wealth of information contained therein, i owe to you my continued enjoyment of the Realms to this day.

My most deep and sincere thanks for all you've done and all you'll do for the Realms.

Thank you very much, Demzer.

Here's hoping some of my new materials can still inspire and excite folks 20 years after I write them as well. :)

Steven

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  20:41:22  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to help out here (hopefully in exchange for an answer to my relatively recent question). Methrammar did indeed succeed his mother as leader of Luruar and almost immediately lost the support of the Dwarves of Adbar, Felbarr and Mithral hall. He is still alive and in charge by 1479 DR but is a very old man.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  02:45:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That said, my latest blog post went live a few hours ago and I'm hoping to hear from some Candlekeepers (like you, Sage!) about things you'd like to see more about.
In case you weren't already aware, Steven, I have since responded [and fully intend to continue responding] to your website wonderings...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000