Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

dfemling
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  07:24:37  Show Profile  Visit dfemling's Homepage Send dfemling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good day Mr Boyd, thank you for all the work you have done for the FR community. I have started to gather lore on the mage Tulrun when i ran across the Polyhedron #125 Wooly Rupert posted in the "[Silver Marches] Tulrun" thread. I would like to know if there is anyway to get the second article(if there is a legal source, not asking to break copy rights:) ) or were to find the out of date Polyhedron #126 mag. I love the depth of his story, and have drawn up some personnal NPC's that entwine with Ecamane, and his incredible history.

Thank you for your time, and again thanks for the work on the realms, i have played in them for almost 20 years! I am always amazed at all the different lore out there, it is little discoveries like this article that truly allow me to fall in love with the realms over and over again!

Edited by - dfemling on 25 Nov 2008 07:25:58
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  01:35:49  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui!

Thanks for that info. So ... that sword has been retrieved by the House from Maerimydra (where it is mentioned to be resting in Lost Empires of Faerūn) before the latter fell? Nice to see such a continuety in the history of that region.

Yep.

Lost Empires states that the blade lies hidden beneath the Lloth temple in the ruins of Maerimydra - so it couldn't have been retrieved before the city fell, could it?
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  11:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sword is in the hands of the drow in Shadowdale, those of House Dhuurniv, who keep it and want to barter with the elves about it and a possible alliance.
Sadly, we weren't told at the end of the relevant chapter what happened officially to the Matron Sisters as well as the sword, which could have retrieved by the heroes - a rather cheap option IMHO.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  12:15:03  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks!
However, I am also very much interested in how House Dhuurniv got the sword in the first place, and was a bit confused by Mr Boyd's - whom I would like to thanks for all his great work at this point - agreement with your suggestion that the sword was retrieved by them before Maerimydra fell, as, to quote myself, LEoF states that the blade lies hidden beneath the Lloth temple in the ruins of Maerimydra - so it couldn't have been retrieved before the city fell, as you had suggested. So did they retrieve it after Maerimydra's fall, or is the information provided in LEoF to some degree false?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  17:02:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

The sword is in the hands of the drow in Shadowdale, those of House Dhuurniv, who keep it and want to barter with the elves about it and a possible alliance.
Sadly, we weren't told at the end of the relevant chapter what happened officially to the Matron Sisters as well as the sword, which could have retrieved by the heroes - a rather cheap option IMHO.

Unless, of course, one of those heroes happens to be a half-elf (or even worse, a good-aligned drow ) that bonds with the sword due to a higher calling and winds up becoming the Arms-Major of Myth Drannor, much to the chagrin of the snooty Sun & Moon elves...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  18:34:24  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That Ashe is actually a great idea that I may use.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  07:14:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

That Ashe is actually a great idea that I may use.

Remember, the half-elf's name is A-S-H-E...

What can I say, he's my favorite!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  17:15:47  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

My campaign starts before the demise of Eilistraee and I was wondering if there is any reason she would not accept a Fey'ri seeking redemption?

Thanks

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ionik Knight

Eric,

My campaign starts before the demise of Eilistraee and I was wondering if there is any reason she would not accept a Fey'ri seeking redemption?

Thanks

I'm not Eric, but I would assume that she would accept any sincere petitioner into her fold, mainly because her teachings focus on tolerance.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Dec 2008 21:12:14
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  05:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

I have a question about something mentioned in the 4E FRPG. In the "Deities of Toril" section in the description of Selūne is says that her followers:
"Seek out creatures who bear the curse of lycan-thropy, curing those who hope to end their affliction and destroying those who have suc-cumbed to the beast within" (p. 152).

This implies that lycanthropy is a curable affliction, whereas the 4E Monster Manual indicates that it is "hereditary" and cannot be contracted by infection. Do priestesses of Selūne have some extraordinary means of removing lycanthropy?

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 14 Mar 2009 06:01:06
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  06:08:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH MY GOD.

I had to read the entry myself in the Monster Manual for 4E.

Are you kidding me? Werewolves are BORN ONLY?!?

That being said, I would have to assume there is no cure to lycanthropy. Selūnites may help rehabilitate lycanthropes to good alignment as a 'cure', but I can't see any rules basis for removing lycanthropy since it's genetic and not a disease or curse.

Great, now I'm going to bed angry...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  15:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

OH MY GOD.

I had to read the entry myself in the Monster Manual for 4E.

Are you kidding me? Werewolves are BORN ONLY?!?

That being said, I would have to assume there is no cure to lycanthropy. Selūnites may help rehabilitate lycanthropes to good alignment as a 'cure', but I can't see any rules basis for removing lycanthropy since it's genetic and not a disease or curse.

Great, now I'm going to bed angry...

I was thrown by that as well. It“s a pretty significant change from previous editions. That said, the notion that you can become a lycanthrope by being bitten is, I“m told, a characteristic introduced in modern horror fiction, and not part of the centuries old lycanthrope mythology.

Maybe the cure they are talking about is Selūnite gene therepy

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, here“s another question:

Do you have any thoughts on the fate of the New Moon Pact in the post-Spellplague Realms? Related to this, do you have any thoughts on what the impact might be in Selūnite circles of the change in 4E of lycanthropy from a contractible disease-like affliction to a hereditary condition?

I ask because I am currently DMing FR 2E campaign in which one of the party members is a dwarf/wereraven cleric of Selūne. In the 2E campaign, I had been planning to have her encounter the NMP and possibly become a member, and pursuing a 2E adaptation of the New Moon Hunter prestige class path. But we are currently considering switching to a FR 4E campaign in which the player would like to still play the dwarven/wereraven Selūnite character. I“d still like pursue the NMP connection.

Afet bint Tuzanķ

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  01:52:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

I was referred to you by Brian "Garen Thal" Cortijo regarding this question (quoted from my post to his scroll):
quote:

I was looking for information on Araumycos after re-reading "Underdark", and all I could find on CK was a five-year-old scroll with no new information. Specifically, I was inspired by the end of the following section:
quote:
On rare occasions, enormous patches of Araumycos die, revealing ancient civilizations ripe for plunder beneath. When this happens, every city of any size in the North—surface or Underdark—sends one or more search parties in to bring back whatever they can. Parties of Shadovars from the Empire of Shade seem particularly interested in what lies below Araumycos, and they have burned away various parts of it with acids since their return, obviously in search of something particular.

If there's anything that can be said about what the Shades were looking for, I'm very interested. I suspect that my answer is going to be either "NDA" or "in the novel..." (hopefully the latter; I'd rather read than wait for Caina to defrost.)

Anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 25 Jul 2009 00:43:16
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  07:01:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no answer to this one. I know that this was a 'dangling realmslore hook' (I think I'm going to start using 'DRH') that Eric left behind.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  04:06:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! I have my own answer.

Edit: We should add "DRH" to a list of common CK abbreviations, if such a thing exists... hopefully The Sage or Wooly will notice this... or maybe I'll just PM them with this text.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Aug 2009 02:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  16:13:41  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr Boyd, I have got a question regarding the Warblade/"Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land".
It is stated there that the drow of House Dhuurniv are in possession of the Warblade at that time - my question is whether you could tell us a little bit more about the circumstances of its retrieval.
Lost Empires of Faerūn states that the sword is hidden beneath the ruins of Maerimydra - as the city was destroyed only in 1372 DR, and LEoF supposedly mirrors the state of things sometime in 1374 DR, this suggests that the Warblade was recovered at some stage between 1374 DR and the beginning of "Shadowdale: TSotL".
Edit: This is actually confirmed by the Warblade description in "Shadowdale: TSotL" which states that the blade lay hidden beneath the ruins of the Lolth temple in Maerimydra until recently- and as "Shadowdale: TSotL" is set in the winter of 1375, this probably means sometime in 1375.

But did House Dhuurniv initially retrieve the Warblade themselves, or did they obtain it after it had been retrieved by someone else (who came across it more accidentally)? How did they find out about its whereabouts?
Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by - Thieran on 19 Aug 2009 23:37:20
Go to Top of Page

Jergal
Acolyte

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2009 :  00:03:51  Show Profile  Visit Jergal's Homepage Send Jergal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr. Boyd. I just want to thank you for all your work with Forgotten Realms. Thanks for all the memories and I wish you and your family well this holiday season.

Dan.

Jergal - Lord of the End of Everything

Edited by - Jergal on 23 Dec 2009 00:04:40
Go to Top of Page

Someonelse
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2010 :  17:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Someonelse's Homepage Send Someonelse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, I'm not Eric, but I'd say that despite his 'lowly' Cloakmaster title, Marune is pretty much an independent, free agent in the Shadow Thieves. If you read his entry in "Cloak & Dagger" you realise that as one of the organisation's original founders, he's got significant clout and power behind him. I'd say that quite simply he doesn't think much of the new, 'upstart' Shade of the Sword Coast North, considers operations in Waterdeep to be outside her purview and control and reports to the Shade of Baldur's Gate (when he feels like it of course), because he's always done so - and no-one, not even Rhinnom, is likely to tell him different.

-- George Krashos

Yep. BTW, it was my supposition that Marune was off inventing spells during his 25 years "in exile". In my original concept, he had been working on an epic spell that essentially allowed shadow walkers (as the spell in the Player's Handbook) to "peer into the Material" within the area of effect. This didn't make the editorial cut, but might be fun to play with in a Shadow Thief-focused campaign.

--Eric

Go to Top of Page

Someonelse
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2010 :  17:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Someonelse's Homepage Send Someonelse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WTF?

I don't know why that happened, but I didn't write any of that.

that's weird.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2010 :  20:29:27  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, can you tell us anything about the legendary pyramid-shaped tear of Ascore artifact mentioned in Champions of Ruin, believed to be currently held by the lich Aumvor?

I'm betting it's not a coincidence that it's pyramid-shaped...

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  05:16:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I'm interested in the tear of Ascore as well... I have a theory... or the beginnings of one, anyway...

First, a question: is the tear of Ascore the same shape as the pyramids in the eponymous ruins? If not, my theory kind of falls apart...

Assuming that it is... I think the tear of Ascore is a focus or trigger item for whatever power is contained in those pyramids. Part of me still thinks it has something to do with the divine essence of Karsus, after learning from Ed that it's not a coincidence that there are thirteen pyramids in Ascore and thirteen dire oaks in the ring in Karse (which ring I suspect to be surrounding Wulgreth's black pyramid, but apparently there's no map or detailed physical description of the ruins of Karse, so I can't say for sure). I'm also still suspecting that the hue of the pyramids in Ascore has something to do with the petrified corpse of Karsus himself, but Ed's disavowing that connection...

Anyway, I'm done speculating; I suspect that anything canon that exists on the matter is locked down under NDAs anyway, but thanks for anything you can provide.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  09:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Dear Mr Boyd, I have got a question regarding the Warblade/"Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land".
It is stated there that the drow of House Dhuurniv are in possession of the Warblade at that time - my question is whether you could tell us a little bit more about the circumstances of its retrieval.
Lost Empires of Faerūn states that the sword is hidden beneath the ruins of Maerimydra - as the city was destroyed only in 1372 DR, and LEoF supposedly mirrors the state of things sometime in 1374 DR, this suggests that the Warblade was recovered at some stage between 1374 DR and the beginning of "Shadowdale: TSotL".
Edit: This is actually confirmed by the Warblade description in "Shadowdale: TSotL" which states that the blade lay hidden beneath the ruins of the Lolth temple in Maerimydra until recently- and as "Shadowdale: TSotL" is set in the winter of 1375, this probably means sometime in 1375.

But did House Dhuurniv initially retrieve the Warblade themselves, or did they obtain it after it had been retrieved by someone else (who came across it more accidentally)? How did they find out about its whereabouts?
Thank you very much in advance!

Seconded that. I wish Josidiah could be alive for it... *remembers something about "no body to be found = not dead"*

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  10:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question for Mr. Boyd. I'm looking for information on Alashar Crywinds, Telamont Tanthul's wife. Can he share some of his knowledge?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  19:03:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I'm also interested in the "lost years" of the Warblade (as requested originally by Thieran, quoted above by Zireael); if you can share anything about this with us it would be greatly appreciated.

I know better than to ask about the Artblade; I know it's wrapped in NDAs that even it can't cut through, and I have my own theories regarding Josidiah Starym anyway. That being said, if there's anything you can say...

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  21:00:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Eric, I'm also interested in the "lost years" of the Warblade (as requested originally by Thieran, quoted above by Zireael); if you can share anything about this with us it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about the "lost years", but I know a certain half-elven ranger now has possession.

(What? You thought I'd stop mentioning it? )

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  02:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr Boyd, is there anything more about the werelion paladins of Nobanion? The only rules I can find for werelions are the old 2ed evil ones. I myself am in need of 3ed rules for good leonine lycans.

Many thanks

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  03:16:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ionik Knight

Mr Boyd, is there anything more about the werelion paladins of Nobanion? The only rules I can find for werelions are the old 2ed evil ones. I myself am in need of 3ed rules for good leonine lycans.

Many thanks

They're not exactly "rules" in the classic sense, but 2e's Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts offers some intriguing thoughts on running non-evil werecreatures in a campaign.

One of the main points discussed, is the likelihood that the "Social behavior [of the werecreature] should relate to the characteristics of the natural animal." So in the case of a werelion, I'd expect that he or she would continue to exemplify the overall feline strength and "king of the Savannah/jungle" aspect that would appear to be inherent in the lion's original form and social behaviour.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  14:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, thanks for the input. I can, and will, invent from whole cloth if I need to. I just want to be sure I'm not intentionally overwriting canon...or reinventing the wheel either. If I'm going to do a rewrite I want to do it on purpose. I'm fairly certain there's nothing in print for good werelions...but there may be something hiding in the unprinted material.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  10:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just remembered - your article on Llurth Dreier is just brilliant!

So here come two further questions inspired by it:
1. Is anything more known about lithidrow and dark skum? I'm thinking of making a 3.5 conversion of these creatures, they sound lovely.
2. What is known about Telantiwar? How many drow inhabited it? Who ruled etc? We all know where it was and when it fell, but not much more.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Zireael

EDIT: Anything known on Nathglaryst of Undraeth except from the bits here?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000