Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  02:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice interview, and I definitely agree that DoM is dark without being so dark that it's no longer truly fun to read or experience. Not that there isn't a place for those types of stories, but that's not what I like in a Realms novel.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  02:30:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Nice interview, and I definitely agree that DoM is dark without being so dark that it's no longer truly fun to read or experience. Not that there isn't a place for those types of stories, but that's not what I like in a Realms novel.

I was intending on reading the interview earlier this very morn, but since I only just started Depths last evening it is, perhaps, not such a good idea to do so now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  02:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to it, Sage!

quote:

That's pretty much what I go for.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  00:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I was intending on reading the interview earlier this very morn, but since I only just started Depths last evening it is, perhaps, not such a good idea to do so now.

The interview doesn't spoil anything (at least not that I recall).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  01:15:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rino.

I'll take a look later this morning.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  03:24:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, I understand that you have a full time day job along with a full time night job, in addition to writing. I was just wondering what they were.

My only guesses are something in the Aerospace industry(possibly for a Defense Contracter) and Male Hand Model!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Backward Masking
Acolyte

Vatican City
2 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  03:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Backward Masking's Homepage Send Backward Masking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Male Hand Model!

Hrm... this isn't some psuedo-vague reference to those Ziploc bag comercials many, many years ago? Anyways gotta say I'm definitly looking forward to reading my shiny new copy of DoM (college > free time). A buona salute.

"I'm afraid your friend Mathis, is really my friend Mathis."
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  07:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see you are cited as co-author of Class Chronicles: Warlocks, Part 2 -- even though someone somehow managed yet again to get 'de Bie' wrong. What part/s were you responsible for? Is this going to be a running feature with co-author Eytan?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  15:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Erik, I understand that you have a full time day job along with a full time night job, in addition to writing. I was just wondering what they were.

My only guesses are something in the Aerospace industry(possibly for a Defense Contracter) and Male Hand Model!

I do my nails every night.

Then I go work for Boeing in the morning as a technical writer (instruction manuals, technical documentation, support, etc, etc).

quote:
Originally posted by Backward Masking

Anyways gotta say I'm definitly looking forward to reading my shiny new copy of DoM (college > free time). A buona salute.

Excellent, sir! Make yourself most welcome in the book club as well, if you like.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

I see you are cited as co-author of Class Chronicles: Warlocks, Part 2 -- even though someone somehow managed yet again to get 'de Bie' wrong. What part/s were you responsible for? Is this going to be a running feature with co-author Eytan?

That's kind of a funny thing, since the most work I did on the Warlocks article was actually in part one, where I wrote the part about Davoren and at least 50% of the Black Star pact. Part 2 was mostly Eytan, though I edited/consulted, which is, I suppose, why I'm credited as a co-author. It's mostly his brilliance, though.

As to whether it'll be a running feature -- who knows?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  07:35:10  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just finished reading The Greatest Treasure, which I greatly enjoyed. I was just wondering (and hoping) if there would be a continuation of this story in an upcoming book. If there is, then I will definitely pick up a copy. Thank you for your time, and for spinning such a wonderful story, sir.

Also, have the characters been statted out in any Dragon issues, and if not, are there any plans on doing so? I would love to use them in a campaign in the near future.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 12 Apr 2007 09:57:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  13:13:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While Erik will likely have more... I'll share with you this little tidbit he let slip in another scroll just a few days ago -

"MINOR SPOILERS

The Deep Coven was disbanded or at least "moved" in that particular story (they had to -- they'd been made). Though Cythara and her followers (who were indeed practicing within a Waukeen temple) can easily be incorporated into anything a DM wants to whip out . . . hint hint.

END SPOILERS"

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Apr 2007 13:14:28
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  23:21:35  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While Erik will likely have more... I'll share with you this little tidbit he let slip in another scroll just a few days ago -

"MINOR SPOILERS

The Deep Coven was disbanded or at least "moved" in that particular story (they had to -- they'd been made). Though Cythara and her followers (who were indeed practicing within a Waukeen temple) can easily be incorporated into anything a DM wants to whip out . . . hint hint.

END SPOILERS"

Hey, thanks Sage for the heads up. May I ask where this scroll is located, please?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  00:21:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll find it here.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  14:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"MINOR SPOILERS

END SPOILERS"

So there's a possibility that the Deep Coven could be featured at some point in the future? Great!

A question though . . . Did the Deep Coven ever control more than one Waukeenar temple?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  14:50:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it was ever specifically mentioned in The Greater Treasure -- the temple in Elversult was it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  16:17:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*snickers* You may me addicted to the internet if... you use forums to answer your wife's questions!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  16:53:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... Well, I wasn't sure whether the Lady K was asking me or not.

I'm assuming Erik will chime in with his own thoughts soon enough.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  23:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm assuming Erik will chime in with his own thoughts soon enough.

Yup, yup indeed!

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

So there's a possibility that the Deep Coven could be featured at some point in the future? Great!
A question though . . . Did the Deep Coven ever control more than one Waukeenar temple?

It's entirely possible (both of those are entirely possible). I really couldn't give you a firm answer on that. Apologies!

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I have just finished reading The Greatest Treasure, which I greatly enjoyed. I was just wondering (and hoping) if there would be a continuation of this story in an upcoming book. If there is, then I will definitely pick up a copy. Thank you for your time, and for spinning such a wonderful story, sir.

Well, you're very welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed!

You might also consider checking out my most recent endeavor, Depths of Madness, which features the Fox-at-Twilight as the main character.

quote:
Also, have the characters been statted out in any Dragon issues, and if not, are there any plans on doing so? I would love to use them in a campaign in the near future.

To my knowledge, no, they have not been statted out, and I am at present aware of no such plan. It's entirely possible, however.

If you are interested in building stats on the characters, you might go by these rough estimations of their respective abilities:

Fox-at-Twilight (at the time of Greater Treasure): female moon elf Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 2 / Uncanny Trickster (Complete Scoundrel) 3 / Shadowdancer 3 / Divine Seeker 4 (avg. str, con, wis, high dex, int, cha)

(Her trickster level class feature increases go toward swashbuckler and shadowdancer respectively. If you don't like the skill tricks mechanic in CS, make her a rog4/swashbuckler3/shadowdancer4/divine seeker4)

Yldar Nathalan: male sun elf Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 / Wizard 5 (a little above average stats in all categories)

Cythara Nathalan: female sun elf Wizard 11 / Thrall of Graz'zt (BoVD) 2 (very low str and con, avg dex, high int, wis, cha)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  23:47:52  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, honorable sir. I shall keep that in mind. I will also try to get out and procure a copy of this novel. Thank you for your time!!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  15:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Thank you, honorable sir. I shall keep that in mind. I will also try to get out and procure a copy of this novel. Thank you for your time!!

Much obliged.

Thank you for your interest and support!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  22:13:30  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fox-at-Twilight (at the time of Greater Treasure): female moon elf Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 2 / Uncanny Trickster (Complete Scoundrel) 3 / Shadowdancer 3 / Divine Seeker 4 (avg. str, con, wis, high dex, int, cha)

(Her trickster level class feature increases go toward swashbuckler and shadowdancer respectively. If you don't like the skill tricks mechanic in CS, make her a rog4/swashbuckler3/shadowdancer4/divine seeker4)

Erik, a very cool build for a very cool character. And now, if you'll allow me, I'll enter geek mode. So that said, I don't think it quite works when you consider the various PrC requirements. You might need to add a level to swashbuckler up front and maybe make other tweaks so she can meet all the feat (and implicit feat for ucanny trickster) requirements.

In any case, that shouldn't affect your characterization of her in the books.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  22:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take that as high praise from someone as prestigious (not to mention mighty) as yourself, sir.

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Erik, a very cool build for a very cool character. And now, if you'll allow me, I'll enter geek mode. So that said, I don't think it quite works when you consider the various PrC requirements. You might need to add a level to swashbuckler up front and maybe make other tweaks so she can meet all the feat (and implicit feat for ucanny trickster) requirements.

Oh yes. I had it all charted out at one point, but I think I misplaced that file at the moment.

I would consider -- and I think you can make a good case to a DM -- for the dodge ability of the swashbuckler to count as the Dodge feat for, say, Mobility or the Shadowdancer PrC. (Not that that's particularly relevant, as she may not be high enough level in the class to get that feature.)

By my way of thinking, Twilight was first a rogue, then a swashbuckler, then a shadowdancer, then (and only then) a divine seeker.

That I put her in uncanny trickster was originally an attempt (odd as it might have been) to make her lower level than my original envisioning was (i.e. she'd still get the abilities from uncanny trickster without having to spend a whole level on rogue or swashbuckler). High levels seem usually for characters in trilogies, not stand-alone novels.

It's also worth noting that, in my build of the character, she does indeed have "little tweaks" implicit in her character, as you rightly point out. She's not strictly "by the book" -- owing to certain events which may (or may not) have taken place in her past, which, of course, you'd have no way of knowing about.

If, however, you would be interested in creating a build for Twilight, then by all means! :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 17 Apr 2007 22:09:23
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  07:03:51  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this talk of a certain elf (who I still think should have been called Badger-at-Teatime, but that's a whole other discussion) made me think - Is there any good viusal aid you might point us to in order to get an idea as to how you envision her appearance to be?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  07:17:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kaje, you might want to take a look through both of Erik's Jan. 15 '07 replies on pg. 9 of this very scroll -- since Erik and I have already discussed this somewhat.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Apr 2007 07:18:22
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  15:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fox-at-Twilight's appearance isn't based wholly on a particular person, but I envision her as a kind of composite of a number of different people:

-Amy Lee: Lead singer from Evanescence (see page 9), for that dark edge

-Evangeline Lilly: Kate, from "Lost," for how she moves and her facial expressions

-Scarlett Johansson: Twilight's wry smile comes direct from "Match Point" and certain other of Scarlett's movies.

-Asia Argento: Actress, XXX -- that sultry sort of movement, and the general shape of her figure.

-Keira Knightly: Actress, Pirates of the Caribbean et al -- Particularly in the Pirates movies.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  16:12:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the exception of Argento [who I am not familiar with], you're presented an intriguing collection of people with which to use as physical models for the character of Fox, Erik. Interesting.

Thinking about it now, I can definitely make some of the connections... especially with people who formed the basis for Twilight's smile and facial expressions. The 'darker edge' was somewhat more obvious, at least early on in Depths of Madness. And while I did feel that Twilight had a rather sensual form of movement, when she needed it, I felt this was more apparent in The Greater Treasure.

Though, what did Keira Knightly contribute, specifically? I'm assuming physical appearance played some part. However, I think a connection can also be made between Knightly's character from the Pirates films, especially her somewhat aggressive attitude [as it develops later], with that of Twilight's character.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  16:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though, what did Keira Knightly contribute, specifically? I'm assuming physical appearance played some part. However, I think a connection can also be made between Knightly's character from the Pirates films, especially her somewhat aggressive attitude [as it develops later], with that of Twilight's character.

Well, there are two factors that influenced my choice of Keira:

1) Physical appearance and attitude (as you guessed), and
2) That I think she's just so hot.

Goodnight, ladies and gents!

Cheers

P.S. Also, if I had to name actresses to portray Twilight in a movie, Keira would be on the list.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  17:43:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Fox-at-Twilight's appearance isn't based wholly on a particular person, but I envision her as a kind of composite of a number of different people:

-Amy Lee: Lead singer from Evanescence (see page 9), for that dark edge

-Evangeline Lilly: Kate, from "Lost," for how she moves and her facial expressions

-Scarlett Johansson: Twilight's wry smile comes direct from "Match Point" and certain other of Scarlett's movies.

-Asia Argento: Actress, XXX -- that sultry sort of movement, and the general shape of her figure.

-Keira Knightly: Actress, Pirates of the Caribbean et al -- Particularly in the Pirates movies.

Cheers

Much obliged

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  17:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And while I did feel that Twilight had a rather sensual form of movement, when she needed it, I felt this was more apparent in The Greater Treasure.

You're right -- less opportunity to be sexy in Depths, sorry to say. Other than it being largely out of context, it's hard to be sexy when you haven't bathed for days, your clothes are mostly torn, you haven't had the chance to do your hair, and you're going slowly mad.

"tGT," on the other hand, was one long seduction, in a sense.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  00:44:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

You're right -- less opportunity to be sexy in Depths, sorry to say. Other than it being largely out of context, it's hard to be sexy when you haven't bathed for days, your clothes are mostly torn, you haven't had the chance to do your hair, and you're going slowly mad.
Strangely, I still found that somewhat alluring -- Twilight still seemed to carry herself with a measure of both grace and beauty when she was able -- even when she did look terrible, at least physically.

To me, Twilight's sensuality is as much about her personality as it is about her appearance. And personal confidence is always sexy!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000