Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  18:57:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Which is probably one of the reasons that Marvel's Dark Reign left such a sour taste for me. Who was the IDIOT that thought putting Senor Psychopath Osborn in charge?! That was just ASKING for trouble....
Well, I think the point was that politics can lead to rather non-sensical decisions, in the name of fear and mistrust.

It's kind of heavy-handed, if you ask me, but I still enjoyed the inversion. It gave us an interesting chance to peer into the psyche of some pretty hard-core characters we wouldn't otherwise know as people--which is pretty much one of Bendis's main strengths as a writer.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  19:04:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True enough/ What was your take on the end of JMS's run on ASM? I really disliked what they did with it, and yes, I know he had a different ending in mind that got axed. I suspect I know what it was, too.... I was sorely disappointed in the OMIT arc, for the same reason.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  20:12:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Announcement:

I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone, but I will be at GenCon Indy 2011, having purchased my ridiculously expensive housing yesterday and my badge the day before.

Stay tuned for games I'm running or events in which I'll be participating, though it's approximately 110% likely that I will be at the FR seminar this year.

Cheers

Cool...one more reason I really need to get to another GenCon.

Not going to run any sessions for newbs are ya?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  20:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True enough/ What was your take on the end of JMS's run on ASM? I really disliked what they did with it, and yes, I know he had a different ending in mind that got axed. I suspect I know what it was, too.... I was sorely disappointed in the OMIT arc, for the same reason.
You're talking about One More Day and the fallout, right? I guess you might as well ask what I think of the Spellplague.

I'm ambivalent as regards that whole thing. Some things about it I like, some I don't--the reintroduction of mystery and tension between some of the characters, a bunch of the new people (though some of them kind of annoy me as well). I'm sad that JMS didn't get to do what he actually wanted, but I also content myself with thinking that if anyone had to do that, then JMS would be the one to choose. It could have been a lot worse, honestly.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

You never know! I was thinking of putting together a couple games . . . we'll see.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  20:42:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You never know! I was thinking of putting together a couple games . . . we'll see.

Cheers

If that happens, count me in

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  00:44:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik , I just shared this with friend Sage. I thought you might enjoy it as well...
it's all their stuff from before they got a record deal.

http://evanescencereference.info/music/

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  01:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
though it's approximately 110% likely that I will be at the FR seminar this year.

Cheers

Will you be there in an official(or semiofficial) capacity like the FR panel last year or will it be standing in the back in the standing only section like the main D&D seminar last year? Since it will be a lot closer to publication at that point, will we be able to ask (with a realistic expectation of some kind of answer) questions about Shadowbane?

As a side note, is it safe to assume we will get another rousing sales pitch for your upcoming wares? You seemed to put quite a bit more into your Shadowbane pitch than anyone on the panel.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  02:15:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks RW! I'll check that out.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Will you be there in an official(or semiofficial) capacity like the FR panel last year or will it be standing in the back in the standing only section like the main D&D seminar last year? Since it will be a lot closer to publication at that point, will we be able to ask (with a realistic expectation of some kind of answer) questions about Shadowbane?
You know, it really depends on the panelists. You saw the difference between James running FR and Bill running D&D--we'll see what happens.

I was not expecting to be called on to talk at the 2010 FR seminar, and I just did what they told me!

As for the book, well I'm holding out hope there are copies of Shadowbane at the Con, so I might be handing you a copy--or telling you where you can get it. There will be a lot more wiggle room for Q&A, particularly if it's already out.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

As a side note, is it safe to assume we will get another rousing sales pitch for your upcoming wares? You seemed to put quite a bit more into your Shadowbane pitch than anyone on the panel.

Sorry about that! That was enthusiasm, not marketing. I just happen to like my story a rather lot.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  02:28:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome....let me know what you think....I found a few gems in there.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  05:00:49  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, yes, I was referring to the OMD/BND mess, but for some reason my PC ate part of my post, and I only caught it just now after reading you reply. It gets hungry if I don't feed it a few letters once in a while, for some reason... But yes, I gather you had similar problems with it that I did. My biggest gripe (aside from the non-marriage lunacy) was some of the new villains introduced early on. Freak and Paper Doll in particular made me want to gouge out my eyes, wash my brain in bleach, and then beat the writers do death with a rolled up copy of their own piece of trash comics. I wrote better stories in kindergarten, to be honest. No disrespect to the writers, of course, as several of them are otherwise very good- just not good for my favorite web-slinger.

I did like some of the new tales and a few of the new regular characters like Vin and Carley, but I really felt that most of those tales could easily have been written with him still happily wed to M-J. As for the OMIT arc, I will say only that I liked it- right up until halfway into the last issue of that arc. The last half of that ish made me want to cry, and NOT in a good way. I truly felt utterly betrayed and b*tch-slapped by the Spidey "Brain-Trust" (more like "brainLESS-UNtrust) at her decision and the subsequent reaction from Pete. It was so completely out of character for both of them that I truly regretted buying those issues- which is the first time I have EVER felt that way about a comic. Sorry, second, if I count the end of OMD. Both arcs were absolutely painful to read. But the rest of the newer stuff at least had some redeeming value, up to that point. Have not touched the series once since then.

Actually, JMS was the one who first brought me into comics in general and spidey in particular, with his fantastic and moving 9-11 tribute issue and the amazing ish right after it when May finally discovered Pete's secret (and ABOUT DARN TIME, LOL!!!) I cried in that ish, too, but for a good reason- it was touching and wonderfully done. To this day, the TPB with those issues is my favorite comic plot ever. I absolutely loved Morlun, too, and I wish he had done more with that character. Obviously, I am a shameless Spidey-fangirl, lol! I love Bendis's work on Avengers, also, but not so much his Ultimate stuff. I'm sort of a purist when it comes to my Marvel heroes. My other favorite comic and fantasy writer is Peter David, especially his Arthur books and Sir Apropos of Nothing. That book was hilarious! So many tropes and stereotypes turned up-side-down!!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  05:14:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I liked Paper Doll... but then I love those kind of crazy-character concepts.

Overall, though, I've not minded the OMD/BND changes that worked their way through the Spidey-branch of the Marvel Universe. Like everything else, there are aspects I don't like, but they've largely been overcome by the notion that Spider-Man has returned to his roots -- and ultimately, what made the character the icon that he is today.

Granted, I miss the marriage, and a great deal of what had been lost as a result of Parker's deal with Mephisto. But I'm entirely confident with the direction Amazing is going now. And I'm finally glad to see Slott working solely on one of Marvel's core titles.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  06:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You know, it really depends on the panelists. You saw the difference between James running FR and Bill running D&D--we'll see what happens.

I was not expecting to be called on to talk at the 2010 FR seminar, and I just did what they told me!

As for the book, well I'm holding out hope there are copies of Shadowbane at the Con, so I might be handing you a copy--or telling you where you can get it. There will be a lot more wiggle room for Q&A, particularly if it's already out.

I see. I had assumed they had worked in advance that they were going to call on you and the other author (I'm pretty sure it was Jaleigh?). It was nice to have a couple authors on hand to talk about their own books. I'm guessing if you get many questions thrown your way this year they will focus on the Neverwinter Campaign Guide if everyone in the audience hasn't already found a copy. That would be great if there were copies of your new book though.
quote:
Sorry about that! That was enthusiasm, not marketing. I just happen to like my story a rather lot.

No, keep it up. I thought it was great. It was nice to see someone being lively at a seminar that seems to usually be a little dull (at least from what I have seen, though that has mainly been the miniatures seminars in past years). Information on new products is great, but seeing someone who is genuinely excited about their work does a lot more than just telling folks they are sure to love the new whatevers. If it looks like you guys want to be there, it makes the audience feel like they want to be there. That's just my opinion anyway.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  06:50:27  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You liked her? SERIOUSLY?! Ugh, I thought she was two dimensional in more ways than one. While her powers were sort of interesting, her emo-stalker goth-chick personality was just horribly cliche'ed. Rather fitting to her powers, actually. Freak was even worse. And Menace- um, what's worse than a Green Goblin rip-off? A FEMALE Green Goblin rip-off who's preggers with Norman's kid. Blegh!

Also, I really got annoyed by the revolving roster of writers at the beginning and up to when Slott took over, and the artists even more so. There was not enough consistency. For that matter, they did a poor job of explaining so many of the changes- Harry's return from the dead being the most glaringly obvious- that I honestly felt likethey had forgotten to consult each other when writing their respective stories. Plot hooks were left dangling, characters seemed forced into directions that were unnatural for their personalities, and most of the stories seemed to pander to Quesada's personal vision for the direction the book should go. OMIT especially so.

Granted, I understand that they wanted him to have the secret ID back, and take him back "to his roots"(whatever THAT means), but all it ended up doing was regressing Peter back to what he was in his college days, except that now he just seems pathetic. Can't hold a job, can't keep a relationship, and lives with his aunt? At HIS age?! Might as well slap a "Loser" sign on his back and send him back to high school.

Honestly, besides the marriage itself, that was the thing I have disliked the most. He just seems so wishy-washy now, not like the confident adult he should be at this stage. Nostalgia for what made him great is all well and good, but let's be frank- he's moved way beyond that now. The direction they took him just makes him look like an over-grown teenager with separation issues and a slacker personality. Exactly what he is NOT. And I really liked a lot of what JMS had done with him during his run. He was dynamic, had a new set of powers that were never fully explored before the BND ret-conned them out, and there were so many intriguing plot-hooks that I wanted to see developed, like his connection to Ezekiel and the Great Weaver, as well as his time-slip through that temporal limbo with Strange on his birthday and the possible future it hinted at. I also loved his unmasking, and wanted to see how that would play out post-Civil War and Skrull invasion. If the Registration Act had been repealed, I would have really liked to see how it would affect his life. But none of that ever happened. I felt kind of cheated by that. So many great ideas all tossed out for the sake of removing what was one of the two BEST comic book marriages in the MU. Reed and Sue being the other one, of course.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  15:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I usually get the TPBs out of the library, I'm a little bit behind the comic book curve and haven't yet read OMIT (I usually run about 3 months behind). I glanced at a copy of one of the issues on the shelf, and it looked a little annoying. But I guess we'll see.

The things that I like the best about the new spider-man continuity are 1) the mystery/tension between Peter and MJ (I like things not being fully explained--though I suspect OMIT will trample on this a bit), 2) Harry's back and actually quite interesting, 3) Carly, Norah, Vin, and Vin's sister/cousin/whatever (the psycho roommate who's got this thing for Peter is kinda cool), 4) Black Cat is around and as cool as ever. (Is it a surprise BC is one of my favorite characters? I think not.)

Not so sold on the art (in particular, the Gauntlet art is/was very off-putting to me) and the soup kitchen story arc, while interesting and a good thing for Aunt May, comes across very boring to me. Fortunately, the art lineup changes, and that's a very minor story element.

As for writing, I much prefer Bendis's handling of Spider-man, in New Avengers and his event stories (House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, etc.), but Slott pulls out things that surprise and entertain me. I definitely enjoy a good deal of his work--though call me crazy and this probably seems like an odd preference, but I really liked his work on She-Hulk. (Weird, huh?)

Switching gears a little, aside from sometimes a little too much "oh noes! we have to go save the kids!", the Reed-and-Sue tie does seem like a really good relationship, though I would have wanted more friction between them after the Civil War--even a separation period. Then again, I don't read Fantastic Four all that much, so maybe I just missed the issues where that happened. Eh?

What can I say? I like the dark.

Speaking of which, I am/was largely a fan of the Ultimate stuff--to me, it's the most compelling of the alternate-world Marvel stories. Marvel has evolved to a fairly dark place, which I really like, and so it makes lots of sense to see the original stories retold in a darker fashion. I read Ultimate Spider-man and Ultimate X-men rather obsessively. Ultimatum pretty much screwed the pooch for me--it seemed like a "let's concoct excuses to kill as many characters as we can for no good reason," which isn't dark but rather kind of lazy. And when it ends the run of a number of comics, rather than just innovating and birthing new story threads, it ends up leaving a bad taste in one's mouth.

Kind of like what *would* have happened if you just ended your Realms reading with the Spellplague (though I'm not directly comparing the events). Which is why you really shouldn't do that!

(See? It's on topic!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  15:45:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The things that I like the best about the new spider-man continuity are 1) the mystery/tension between Peter and MJ (I like things not being fully explained--though I suspect OMIT will trample on this a bit), ...
Worry not, friend Erik. Highlight to read the following SPOILED info:- There's still plenty left unexplained between Peter and MJ in the post OMIT period.
quote:
... Carly, Norah, Vin, and Vin's sister/cousin/whatever (the psycho roommate who's got this thing for Peter is kinda cool), ...
I'm intrigued by the possibility that Vin will end up as the new militant Venom.
quote:
4) Black Cat is around and as cool as ever. (Is it a surprise BC is one of my favorite characters? I think not.)
I was always more of a Catwoman fan.
quote:
... but Slott pulls out things that surprise and entertain me. I definitely enjoy a good deal of his work--though call me crazy and this probably seems like an odd preference, but I really liked his work on She-Hulk. (Weird, huh?)
Aye, his tales have become a real treat. And I'm intrigued by the hints he's provided in interviews, that long time Spidey-fans will find plenty to love in his run on the book.
quote:
Then again, I don't read Fantastic Four all that much, so maybe I just missed the issues where that happened. Eh?
Well, the Fantastic Four are going through another "death of a member" scenario at the moment. Highlight the following if you want to be SPOILED. It's Johnny Storm that bites the bullet this time.
quote:
Speaking of which, I am/was largely a fan of the Ultimate stuff--to me, it's the most compelling of the alternate-world Marvel stories. Marvel has evolved to a fairly dark place, which I really like, and so it makes lots of sense to see the original stories retold in a darker fashion. I read Ultimate Spider-man and Ultimate X-men rather obsessively. Ultimatum pretty much screwed the pooch for me--it seemed like a "let's concoct excuses to kill as many characters as we can for no good reason," which isn't dark but rather kind of lazy. And when it ends the run of a number of comics, rather than just innovating and birthing new story threads, it ends up leaving a bad taste in one's mouth.
Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Avengers are the only titles I read from that branch of the Marvel Universe. But then, I'm a long-time fan of Millar's work, and the Bendis Spider-Man is somewhat reminiscent of the kind of Spidey stories I loved from the 70's.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  15:58:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You liked her? SERIOUSLY?! Ugh, I thought she was two dimensional in more ways than one. .

snip!

If she was 2 dimensional in more ways then one, she was at least 4 dimensional and perhaps many more multiples of 2!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 28 Jan 2011 15:59:06
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  16:27:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Have you had a chance to work on Fox among the Uthgardt? I know Sage would love to read it

Has the idea of writing those chapbooks gotten any traction? Or do we all need to fire off some nice letters and tell the powers that be, what a good idea this is and how popular it would be...as well as driving web traffic to their site if they hapen to be free?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  16:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erik,

Have you had a chance to work on Fox among the Uthgardt? I know Sage would love to read it

Has the idea of writing those chapbooks gotten any traction? Or do we all need to fire off some nice letters and tell the powers that be, what a good idea this is and how popular it would be...as well as driving web traffic to their site if they hapen to be free?

I do hope that happens eventually--right now, WotC's book department is a little rattled from losing its editors, but when it stabilizes, we'll get this figured out. Not to mention I've been very busy with writing and game design, etc.

I have indeed written part of the story--no spoilers, but it involves a remorrhaz.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  17:14:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You liked her? SERIOUSLY?! Ugh, I thought she was two dimensional in more ways than one. .

snip!

If she was 2 dimensional in more ways then one, she was at least 4 dimensional and perhaps many more multiples of 2!

That would be funny if she had not been nothing more than a psycho celeb-stalker with the goth-girl boo-hoos. She was, if you'll pardon the pun- verymuch like her name/powers implied. Shallow, transparent, and insubstantial. From what I could see in her one brief appearance, she was just an emo stalker with powers. Whoop-de-friggin-do. That issue was the WORST spidey-tale I've ever read- and that includes the Sins Past arc! (which wasn't rall that bad, all things considered- I liked the fact that Gwen was not as "perfect" as Pete always made her out to be. Made her seem less the angelic vision he had of her, and more fallible and human.)

Black Cat has always been one of my faves too, Erik, I really loved her appearances in Spectacular while Peter David was writing it! But I also like her better as his friend as she has been over the last few years. It's nice for him to have someone he can just talk to who doesn't judge him or want a relationship. Unless that's changed in the last few months....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  18:17:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Erik,

I do hope that happens eventually--right now, WotC's book department is a little rattled from losing its editors, but when it stabilizes, we'll get this figured out. Not to mention I've been very busy with writing and game design, etc.

I have indeed written part of the story--no spoilers, but it involves a remorrhaz.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  18:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That issue was the WORST spidey-tale I've ever read- and that includes the Sins Past arc! (which wasn't rall that bad, all things considered- I liked the fact that Gwen was not as "perfect" as Pete always made her out to be. Made her seem less the angelic vision he had of her, and more fallible and human.)
I kinda liked that arc, though I *definitely* would have made them Pete's children. (Though I can also understand why they didn't do that.)

quote:
Black Cat has always been one of my faves too, Erik, I really loved her appearances in Spectacular while Peter David was writing it! But I also like her better as his friend as she has been over the last few years. It's nice for him to have someone he can just talk to who doesn't judge him or want a relationship. Unless that's changed in the last few months....
Well . . . it's complicated. They're colleagues with benefits.

One of my favorite Spider-man books was The Evil That Men Do, by Kevin Smith. For reasons that are no doubt obvious to those who've read it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:24:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Benefits?! Sheesh, so much for his squeaky clean charm. BTW, I loved that book too, it was dark, gritty, and serious, which is kind of a departure for the character. Of all the new villains, though, I think i like Mr Negative. He's interesting, not too hokey, and subtle. I did like May knowing Pete's secret, and I wish they'd left her in the loop, but I've sort of enjoyed her being totally clueless with all this stuff going on around her in the soup kitchen, too. You'd think she'd put two and two together and figure it out.

So what other specific books/movies do you like? I've seen a few listed on your facebook page(no, not stalking, I'm on your list and wanted to see what your tastes were like) but I was wondering if there were any particular ones that stood out.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I read and watch a LOT--my post a page or two back in this thread captures a lot of it, and my facebook has a pretty good list. I get less time to read these days, sadly, but I'm working on getting the count back up to where it used to be.

I particularly like A Song of Ice and Fire, and am engaged in a long time discussion with a D&D buddy of mine as to whether Martin will ever finish the series. (I hold out optimistically!) I used to be all into Wheel of Time, but it got too broad in scope (and basically nothing started happening), so I fell away around book 10. I'm in the middle of re-reading (well, I read part of it the first time) Erin Evans's God Catcher, and next up on my list, I'll probably either (finally) finish King's Dark Tower (I'm done with book 6!) or jump into Jacqueline Carey's third Kusheline trilogy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:55:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever Read any of Anne McCafferey's books? Pern, Rowan series, etc.... I'm fond of Robert Aspirin's Myth books, myself, along with Piers Anthony's Xanth and Adept series(s). Might explain my penchant for off-the-wall humor. Not to mention why I love all things fantasy- I started reading those books in 4th grade.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  20:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh sorry, you asked about movies too!

I tend to like action movies with a modicum of thought or wit involved. Serenity is one of my favorites (Whedon--duh!), I love the Matrix (not sold on the sequels), liked Inception, etc. Coen Brothers films are usually a win with me: I just saw True Grit the other night, which was pretty awesome (plus Ed Greenwood is totally the dentist in the bear pelt; I swear to the gods!).

I tend to watch more TV on DVD than movies, honestly--I devoured BSG pretty hardcore (and had a regular party every Friday during the last season), and I re-watch Firefly[1] with fair frequency. I am currently watching Chuck (season 2) along with the wife--it's pretty awesome.

[1] One of my favorite D&D characters is sort of Mal and Inara's love-child with a healthy dose of fantasy swordswoman thrown in (http://erikscottdebie.com/2010/12/16/worldwalkers-character-profile-vayne-blackblade/).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  20:14:06  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. I've started watching The Cape, and I used to love Buffy and Angel. (Whedon! Love the guy.) but most of my TV watching is on either Animal Planet, Discovery, or History channels, or ocassionally Sy-Fy. And NCIS. Don't know why, but I love the characters on there, especially Abby and Tony. Monk is fun too, and Burn Notice. (Mostly because I'm a fan of Bruce Campbell, lol!)

Movies- just saw Green Hornet, it was friggin hilarious. Tron was also cool, but then I remember seeing the original in the theater. I'm also rather fond of Dreamworks and Pixar animated stuff- Megamind and Despicable Me were both great. disney is another favorite- okay, I'm not a disney princess freak, but I've always loved their ability to tell a familiar story in a new or interesting way, like Tangled or The Princess and the Frog. Plus, I'm kind of a softy at heart. :)
And I'm a fan of most of Sam Raimy's movies- Darkman, the Evil Dead, etc....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  21:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Burn Notice is really very awesome. One aspect of the forthcoming Neverwinter Campaign Guide is directly inspired by that show.

Haven't had the chance to see the Cape, but I will check it out.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  21:39:47  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The folks at Catalyst love that Burn Notice. They were even playing it on the tv at their GenCon booth a couple of years ago and I heard one of the Shadowrun IP managers telling somebody that it fits their idea of how "runs" play out perfectly in terms of tone, character interaction and expertise, etc.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  00:00:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Benefits?! Sheesh, so much for his squeaky clean charm. BTW, I loved that book too, it was dark, gritty, and serious, which is kind of a departure for the character. Of all the new villains, though, I think i like Mr Negative. He's interesting, not too hokey, and subtle.
I think it was kinda neat the way he affected Aunt May. It's a shame that particular plot-line was developed further.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  00:00:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erik,

You know it!
quote:

I would, of course, be willing to offer any assistance in the writing of said chapbooks.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000