Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Erik,

Is it too early to assume EoJ will be ePub like Shadowbane?
I think it's fairly safe to assume that EoJ will have an ePub/Kindle release of some sort. It's probably too soon, though, for WotC to have made a final decision about whether it will be e-book-only.

If it is electrons only, though, you can be darned sure I'll be poking someone next GenCon about us seeing a collected Shadowbane Chronicles (Downshadow/Shadowbane/Eye of Justice/associated short stories) volume in print, and soon.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  17:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Garen says, I don't think that decision has been made. Shadowbane as epub only is an experiment, and it's too early to tell how successful it is.

The Shadowbane Chronicles omnibus is a great idea, btw.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  15:12:42  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, maybe the 'experiment' would be more succesfull if Wizards sold Shadowbane to the European market as well (at amazon you can buy 4 books out of 175 wizards e-books here in Germany). As Eric might remember I was hoping to find some new infos on Waterdeep and especially the characters, that i could add to my waterdeep-file. I waited patiently for Shadowbane to arrive at my doorstep for quite some time and then learnd by accident, that it was E-book exclusive. Sad news. Bought myself a e-book-reader and had to learn, that by now it still isn't sold in europe. Sad news again :(
still hoping that shadowbane will see international print or at least e-book publication.
Best wishes
Lirdolin
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  16:45:54  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished your short story, The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane, and really enjoyed it. Not enough stories about paladins, in my opinion, especially badass ones like Gedrin. My question is this: Is Gedrin a member of the Thalavar family of Westgate, or is his surname just coincidence?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  17:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Lirdolin: Yep, I hear you. It's being looked at.

@Cronje: Thank you for the kind words, and no, it is not a coincidence. He is indeed a member of that family.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  20:16:08  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric!

I was wondering, who came up with the idea to name the 'Lord' of Neverwinter "Neverember"?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  20:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Lady SA. (Love the screenname--and welcome to the forums!)

In answer, as far as I know, Ed came up with Lord Dagult Neverember, from his name to his appearance to his disposition. Not sure who came up with the concept of involving him in Neverwinter (I suspect it was an in-house decision when they were coming up with the skeleton design for the NWCS). I will say we all had a cheery laugh about it, which I hope you did too.

I was the one who came up with Neverember's "heritage," in which he claims descent from a bastard child of Nasher Alagondar, named "Never" for the city of his origin (and also that he would "never" rule the city). It's along the lines of A Song of Ice and Fire, where "natural" children have surnames derived from their region (Snow, Rivers, etc).

Said adventurer retired in Waterdeep, where he had a child by a woman called "Mirtria Ember" (who was herself the daughter of two well-known NPCs from the pre-Spellplague Waterdeep days), and their offspring combined the two surnames into "Neverember." Whether there is much or any truth to this story--or whether Neverember uses the naming coincidence to justify his rule--is a matter of some debate.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  07:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

@Lirdolin: Yep, I hear you. It's being looked at.

Yeah :) And Happy New Year 2012 everyone :)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  16:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik,

This may be a bit outside of your perview, but can you list which books of which series Shadowbane is a part of, and do you know if all of them are available in Kindle edition? I got a Kindle for Christmas, and since I will have to buy one of the books in Kindle format, I think I will need to get all of them in Kindle edition.

Thanks,
Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  16:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Hawkins! Good to see you, as always.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

This may be a bit outside of your perview, but can you list which books of which series Shadowbane is a part of, and do you know if all of them are available in Kindle edition? I got a Kindle for Christmas, and since I will have to buy one of the books in Kindle format, I think I will need to get all of them in Kindle edition.
Shadowbane is part of two different series, the Abyssal Plague and also my own "Shadowbane" series (about the character Shadowbane, wielder of a dead god's power, chosen of Helm, etc).

As for the Abyssal Plague, check WotC's Abyssal Plague hub. The only other specifically Realms Abyssal Plague novel is Bruce Cordell's Sword of the Gods, which happens a few months before Shadowbane.

As for the Shadowbane series, check the series listing on my website, which I will repost here:

- 1462, “Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane” (available for free right there or on the WotC SB product page)

- 1479, Downshadow (available in print, Kindle, and Nook, or as part of the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep collection 1)

- 1480, “Chosen of the Sword” (available for free right there or on the WotC SB product page)

- 1480, “A New Purpose” (available on Shadowbane e-book bundle)

- 1480, Shadowbane (available on Kindle and Nook)

- 1480, Eye of Justice (September 2012)

(There’s probably also a companion story I’m going to write for Eye of Justice that takes place between “Legend” and Downshadow, but we’ll see.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 03 Jan 2012 16:58:39
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  17:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Thanks for the timely response. Now I just have to find time to read them all. =D

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  18:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do let me know what you think once you do!

Might I suggest you start off with "The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane"?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  00:26:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I still need to find a way to obtain "A New Purpose," since the purchase of the Shadowbane bundle on Amazon is still denied to me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:27:39  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, I got the impression from Downshadow that you are a Batman fan? If so, what do you think of the upcoming finale to Nolan's take on the character?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Erik, I got the impression from Downshadow that you are a Batman fan? If so, what do you think of the upcoming finale to Nolan's take on the character?

It's a bit obvious, isn't it?

I wanted to channel some of the spirit and use some of the themes. I also like to insert little homages from time to time.

I am excited about the upcoming Dark Knight Rises, though I'm anxious about Batman's fate. Those movies are pretty dark.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  21:42:43  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Just started reading Ghostwalker, and I'm really enjoying it.

Quick question... Lord Greyt, is he related to more than one of the Silvermoon / Waterdeep noble families?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  00:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Well met, Therise! I'm glad you're enjoying, and I hope that trend continues.

One small caveat: I suggest you flip to the last fifty/sixty pages or so and make sure it's not about Drizzt Do'Urden or Jarlaxle. If it is, it's not because I'm a rabid fanboy--it's a misprint, and you should return the book to get a new, correct one. )

quote:
Quick question... Lord Greyt, is he related to more than one of the Silvermoon / Waterdeep noble families?
Hmm, good question. I don't think I established that in the book, but one can assume that being a former, well-traveled, well-loved, charismatic adventurer (and a bard at that), one can assume he's left a trail of natural born children in his wake, some of which he may or may not know about. It is established he's had a series of mistresses/wives, who've met unfortunate fates, and his own direct issue have largely met similar untimely ends (see the GW companion story, Wayfarer).

Of his family, we know he has a sister who is married into the Venkyr family of Everlund. She married the widower Rom Venkyr, Arya's father, making Greyt step-uncle to Arya (and making Meris her step-cousin). Which you'll probably see is a little creepy, as you get farther in the book.

I don't think Greyt has any more significant familial connections in the pre-Spellplague era, though his line actually continues (in a subtle way) through to the present day (1480). See my story in Realms of the Dead.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  00:45:53  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well met, Therise! I'm glad you're enjoying, and I hope that trend continues.

One small caveat: I suggest you flip to the last fifty/sixty pages or so and make sure it's not about Drizzt Do'Urden or Jarlaxle. If it is, it's not because I'm a rabid fanboy--it's a misprint, and you should return the book to get a new, correct one. )

LOL! No, there's no Drizzty drizztness in this book. At least not so far. I am, however, really enjoying "Walker" and the three Silver Knights, particularly Arya!

quote:
quote:
Hmm, good question. I don't think I established that in the book, but one can assume that being a former, well-traveled, well-loved, charismatic adventurer (and a bard at that), one can assume he's left a trail of natural born children in his wake, some of which he may or may not know about. It is established he's had a series of mistresses/wives, who've met unfortunate fates, and his own direct issue have largely met similar untimely ends (see the GW companion story, Wayfarer).

Of his family, we know he has a sister who is married into the Venkyr family of Everlund. She married the widower Rom Venkyr, Arya's father, making Greyt step-uncle to Arya (and making Meris her step-cousin). Which you'll probably see is a little creepy, as you get farther in the book.

I don't think Greyt has any more significant familial connections in the pre-Spellplague era, though his line actually continues (in a subtle way) through to the present day (1480). See my story in Realms of the Dead.

Cheers

Ooh, interesting. If he manages to survive the novel, I might steal Greyt for an adventure idea in Waterdeep with a visiting noble.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  16:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

LOL! No, there's no Drizzty drizztness in this book. At least not so far.
Well that's a relief. There was apparently a batch of copies of Ghostwalker cooked up that misprinted the last 50-100 pages of the Silent Blade into my book. Maybe they just thought it was that cool? I don't know.

quote:
I am, however, really enjoying "Walker" and the three Silver Knights, particularly Arya!
Cool. Fun meta-knowledge: I've decided that if I were to write the book over again, the ghostwalker wouldn't have a name, even one like "Walker"--he'd just be referred to as "the ghostwalker."

quote:
Ooh, interesting. If he manages to survive the novel, I might steal Greyt for an adventure idea in Waterdeep with a visiting noble.
Urge to spoil . . . resisted!

Guess I made my saving throw.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  19:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met! For those who are interested, I've collected some thoughts about the just-announced 5e system and its impact on the Forgotten Realms. Specifically, three steps to make the Realms the Best of All Possible Worlds.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  20:24:17  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the points are completely fair, some of them have even been discussed in 'ere. This can be an oportunity to fix some mistakes and to make the Realms greater than they were before; though also is an oportunity to create far more havoc. Thinking it slowly got to say that I'd also like to see some 1e, 2e, 3e material as I'm rather new to the Realms, I'd love to see some old stories or flavours. All the points are perfectly shareble, at least for me. Can't wait to see what new things this edition brings buit, I'm also feelin' a bit restless about it... If I should add something, I got to say that I feel some curiosity about some races I haven't "touched" much, i.e. genasi, tieflings, .... and I'd love to see some more delving into their "arrival" to the Realms story, though this has nothing to do with the new edition really....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 10 Jan 2012 20:26:16
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  18:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree wholeheartedly with you, Erik, about 5e...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  12:17:20  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Erik...
I can see a big influence of "aSoInF" on your books... Bastards surnames, "Arya" and so on...
So, what's your feeling about George R. R. Martin? And how did that series really make up your books and writing style?

Thanks.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  15:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Edappel,

quote:
Originally posted by edappel

I can see a big influence of "aSoInF" on your books... Bastards surnames, "Arya" and so on...
While it is true that Martin's work influences me, a number of these things aren't actually inspired by him, mostly because I had started writing Ghostwalker before I even knew Martin existed, much less anything about his work. "Arya," for instance, comes from the word "aria," which is a musical term meaning a beautiful interlude (which she is) that interrupts an opera (which the novel is). It is a happy coincidence that it ended up being a character in Song of Ice and Fire, though my editor and I exchanged emails about it once I discovered the similarity. She advised me that "there are plenty of Guinevieres in Fantasy," meaning no one really has control of a single particular name, no matter how popular. (It'd be kinda dumb to use Bilbo, Drizzt, Elminster, or Erevis Cale, though, I imagine!) So we left it as-is, and I'm pleased with it.

The bastard names thing is something I just thought made sense, so I've incorporated it. That's more of an homage to Martin. And when you think about it, yeah, bastards need surnames too. Meris is named "Wayfarer" because he's not officially recognized as Greyt's son. In the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, Vars Never gets the same treatment.

quote:
So, what's your feeling about George R. R. Martin? And how did that series really make up your books and writing style?
I love Martin's books, and as I said, they exercise some influence on my style. My story "Wayfarer" (available for free as a download on my website, http://erikscottdebie.com/ghostwalker) is probably the single most "Martin-esque" piece that I've written. I think he exemplifies "gritty" in the fantasy genre--where violence has real consequences, evil is self-justifying and never dumb, and good doesn't always win--and that's something to which I feel a certain kinship. (Though there are some people out there who feel that "gritty" means something else--Martin is just MY definition.)

But I don't think Martin is much MORE influence than other authors, like Neil Gaiman, Robert E. Howard, Jacqueline Carey, Paul Kemp, Bob Salvatore, etc., the list goes on. All writers are a product of what they read.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  16:09:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

Well met! For those who are interested, I've collected some thoughts about the just-announced 5e system ...

Thoughts?
I think you're insane to invite such talk into your scroll, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  18:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

Well met! For those who are interested, I've collected some thoughts about the just-announced 5e system ...
Thoughts?
I think you're insane to invite such talk into your scroll, lol.
Maybe just excited.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  19:33:27  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, according to my Kindle, I am 53% of the way through Downshadow (I started reading it on the bus to work Wednesday morning). This has been a very enjoyable read. I particularly liked the details that you have put into the serial novels by "Thann" (Danilo or a descendant, I presume) and those that I believe detail the life of Fox-at-Twilight. Those allusions to characters that I have loved in the past have made this story quite enjoyable. One of my main problems is that not knowing how spell scars work mechanically is making it a little difficult to understand how exactly they function in the story. Also, I do not understand (or maybe just missed) when or where Kalen obtained his spell scar, seeing as he is clearly not 104 years old (but this also probably stems from my misunderstanding of how spell scars work). Anyways, I often judge how good a book is by how long it takes me to read it (especially now that I have a 4 month old ruling my free time), and I am impressed with how well you have pulled me into this novel. I look forward to finishing this novel and reading more about Kalen in the future (and hopefully Fox-at-twilight as well).
--Hawkins

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  19:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Hawkins:

Spellscars are something you can acquire at any point after the Spellplague, either from coming into contact with a Plagueland (an area where the Spellplague persists, like a dead/wild magic zone), an object/person/please with an active pocket of Spellplague, or by inheriting it from an ancestor (like a curse). I don't think at the point you are in the book that Kalen has explained his history or spellscar, but he will eventually.

It isn't made clear, but my intention there is to have that be Danilo's actual work--he grew quite famous as a bard and poet. I don't want to go too far into it, though, as I wouldn't want to step on Elaine's toes. (That bit of poesy actually comes from Elaine's pen--she wrote it for me to include it in the book.)

You are correct in your interpretation of what the chapbooks mean. A number of those are references to other Realms stories as well, include Master of Chains, Bloodwalker, Silverfall, Erevis Cale, and others.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  00:26:34  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I promised I'd tell you when I finished Ghostwalker, and I just did. The ending was totally brilliant, and romantic, and sad! And the song of the Nightingale... all I can say is, you GET it. You get the Realms, on a fundamental level.

I want to ask questions, but I don't want to put spoilers into your thread, hehe!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  01:41:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, read and greatly enjoyed Ghostwalker. I hope we shall do business again, Mister Bie.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000